MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

On 9/5/2022 at 4:25 PM, OspreyCI said:

Ok, so round three with the DF. Honeymoon might be over quick. Struggled with the face coming open at impact. Tried various grips with the right hand. Index finger coming over in the top, ringer down the right side, and even using the right hand placed like I would for a short putter. The last grip setup was the best for center contact and not having the face swing open. 

If anyone has any more tip to not manipulate the face angle like I am doing, that would be great @SwingBlues This is my first go around with a broomstick by the way. 

Thanks. 

I'm not using the broomstick so I dunno how much this helps but I find with this putter the best results come from kinda letting go of control and just letting the putterhead swing through the ball on it's own once I've made a proper backswing (i.e not dragging it outside the line or too far inside, just a slight natural inside arc)

• Like 1

My DF 2.1 is on its way back to Eugene.  I bought it from the outlet -- stumbled across one available in my unusual specs at a great price so I grabbed it.  After a month plus, I am a believer.  Last week the head came loose.  LAB is fixing under warranty, and I figured it was a good time to remove the Winn grip and replace with a proper, firm, rubber OG Press 3.  Ordinarily I'd just have it re-epoxied at a local shop or do it myself so I would not have to wait, but I really wanted that grip swapped out too.  Hate Winn grips!  So I decided to wait, and lo and behold I cannot even sniff the cup with any of my old Odysseys.

The way the lie angle balance works is pretty remarkable.  I still miss putts, but they are never pulled or pushed.  They can still be mis-read, they can still start on the wrong line, and I can still get the distance wrong 😄 😄 😄 but the putt rolls where I am aimed, every single time.  I am a much better putter than a 20 index (former 5 now learning to play with one arm and putting is still a strength) and these putters flat out perform.

• Like 4

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

For all the DF owners and not on the LAB mailing list, here is a GREAT podcast interview between Fits with the Founder - Club Champion & Sam Hahn @labgolf discussing Directed Force including some history (cloudy smoky version since it's not Bill 😉), Mezz and custom fitting, look at the 27:01 time stamp:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/fits-with-the-founder/id1557045489

Enjoy

ps while this is a DF thread, Sam - I think expanding the weight options especially on the Mezz is a HUGE bonus offering based on my testing & discussions with other testers. Jus sayin'

@OspreyCI 1:10 is the mark for u 😎

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

2 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

For all the DF owners and not on the LAB mailing list, here is a GREAT podcast interview between Fits with the Founder - Club Champion & Sam Hahn @labgolf discussing Directed Force including some history (cloudy smoky version since it's not Bill 😉), Mezz and custom fitting, look at the 27:01 time stamp:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/fits-with-the-founder/id1557045489

Enjoy

ps while this is a DF thread, Sam - I think expanding the weight options especially on the Mezz is a HUGE bonus offering based on my testing & discussions with other testers. Jus sayin'

@OspreyCI 1:10 is the mark for u 😎

Thanks man… looking forward  to listening to this podcast tomorrow at work. Appreciate it.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Just to post my review of the second hand blad.1 that I've been using.

It's fantastic.

I had to adjust to it, the swing thoughts that work for me are to have a light grip, and just go straight back and straight through (yes I realise there no such thing as a straight putting stroke).

The ball just starts on line. Every time. I used to do putting practice on an 8ft mat with a small cage to aim at, but now it's boring, because every set just ends up looking like this:

PXL_20220917_063747255.jpg.9bc4387b2e2a398ca943299a6906377a.jpg

I've ordered the mezz, because the blad.1 feels too heavy for my taste, and I like mallets for short putts. 

If you're wondering whether to get any kind of lab putter (and the previous 75 pages haven't convinced you yet) just go ahead and do it. Worth every penny.

• Like 3

I had some better luck short putting this weekend. I realized I had gotten back into the habit of having a long thru stroke which has never worked out for me. So I went back to having my thru stroke the same length or shorter than my backstroke (without being jabby) and made all my putts from 4 ft and in. 

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I have been using mine all season now, and it took me awhile, but I am clearly putting better with the Mezz than my previous putter.  Making more one putts, and missing fewer 3-5 foot putts.

I did have to make one adjustment.  I have the Press 1.5 grip.  I was pushing putts early on and not sure why.  I watched a video from the owner about ball position needing to be further forward, so I moved the ball up in my stance so that it is just inside my lead foot, and that has made all the difference.  

• Like 1

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

7 hours ago, Mob said:

I have been using mine all season now, and it took me awhile, but I am clearly putting better with the Mezz than my previous putter.  Making more one putts, and missing fewer 3-5 foot putts.

I did have to make one adjustment.  I have the Press 1.5 grip.  I was pushing putts early on and not sure why.  I watched a video from the owner about ball position needing to be further forward, so I moved the ball up in my stance so that it is just inside my lead foot, and that has made all the difference.  

Yeah I have the ball position inside lead heel as well, feels the most natural with the mezz 

• Like 1

Just got DF a week ago. Practiced everyday so far, still used to a heavier pendulum. Did the No thumbs, 1 and 2 ball practice, and have always had a pendulum heavy putter (Seemore PCB w/ 40g of lead tape), and I limit the manipulation of putter and keep the natural stoke as close as I can.

Seem to struggle extra keeping line w/ new DF, burning edges on left and right. Have a 4 ft metal ruler I practice with (put ball and one end and putt off other, ensuring you’re getting ball on line to start) and cannot seem to find stroke w/ DF. Feel is good, but if it was 20-30g heavier I could get it feeling good.

I know adding weight throws off the lie balance, but how much? How have others (if there are others that feel same) added a touch of heftyness to their DF?

12 hours ago, Sixthreesix said:

Just got DF a week ago. Practiced everyday so far, still used to a heavier pendulum. Did the No thumbs, 1 and 2 ball practice, and have always had a pendulum heavy putter (Seemore PCB w/ 40g of lead tape), and I limit the manipulation of putter and keep the natural stoke as close as I can.

Seem to struggle extra keeping line w/ new DF, burning edges on left and right. Have a 4 ft metal ruler I practice with (put ball and one end and putt off other, ensuring you’re getting ball on line to start) and cannot seem to find stroke w/ DF. Feel is good, but if it was 20-30g heavier I could get it feeling good.

I know adding weight throws off the lie balance, but how much? How have others (if there are others that feel same) added a touch of heftyness to their DF?

You might want to reach out to Lab Golf and ask to send the putter back to them so they can make it heavier.  Not sure how heavy they can go though but worth the ask.  You would need to obviously tell them how much weight to add.  Maybe get the total weight of your existing putter and compare that to the lab putter and go from there.

Edited by Sons_of_Pitches

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

Does anyone use LAB for short putts inside 10ft and a normal putter for longer putts? My strokes gained data say I stink inside 10 feet but am scratch at greater than 10 feet. . . .

Stealth OG 10.5 Ventus Red 6s

Epic flash 18deg Fujikura pro 6.0s

Maverick 21deg 7wd Fujikura pro 7.0S

5i-Aw Srixon ZX5  KBS TGI 100

52 Glide 4.0 SS KBS TGI 100

56 Glide 4.0 WS KBS TGI 100

60 Glide 4.0 TS KBS TGI 100

Lab DF3 70 deg 35.5" Accra Black

On 9/14/2022 at 4:21 PM, PingPoncho said:

How come there are no reviews of the MEZZ 1 Max standard length? 

Lab golf would sell more standard Max putters if they put them out in online golf stores so more people could try them. The regular Mezz1 is there but no Standard Max.

I have Mezz Max and the weight is great, much better for me than Mezz standard. Sounds great off face and the roll it puts on the ball is superb!

On 8/5/2022 at 12:51 AM, rlb4 said:

I'm looking to get the DF 2.1(35") and am trying to decide on the shaft. I've tried the stock steel shaft in PGA Superstore and it felt pretty good. I would like the benefit of the extra stability of the BGT or LAGP shafts but have never tried them and am worried that I won't like them. I've read that the Stability Tour is the same weight and balance as the stock steel so the swing weight should feel the same. I also read that the LAGP TPZ One35 is heavier than the stock steel and has a different balance point(some counter balance?) and am concerned that the swing weight will be noticeably lighter and I may not like that. Does anyone have any feedback on these concerns?

I’m interested in this question too. Anybody have feedback on it?

My experience with the DF so far is positive. Here are some observations for what it’s worth.

I would never spring for a shaft upgrade in a putter. Steel is plenty stable for the violent transition and impact of a putt. 😉

With the OG Press grip on the DF, you almost can’t play the ball too far forward. Off the left heel, instep, and even big toe are all totally effective setups.  

I practice incessantly with a line around the ball. I don’t play with this marking (slows down play too much for me) but on the practice green or my Big Moss, I zero in on quality of contact. No wobble means good contact. Wobble, even if I make the putt, means face angle is not precise.

Keeping the putter head low through impact (think Loren Roberts) is also a great key. 

The one ball and two ball drills in the cut, as suggested by the Lab YouTube channel are really good too. 

• Like 2

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

19 hours ago, ephmen said:

Does anyone use LAB for short putts inside 10ft and a normal putter for longer putts? My strokes gained data say I stink inside 10 feet but am scratch at greater than 10 feet. . . .

That’s interesting.  I will say I have been using my DF2.1 on slow greens and my Ping Harwood on faster greens.  

I have the BST shaft in mine. (Well did. Accidentally stepped on the shaft and broke it and need to replace with LAB). Anyway, the df2.1 has been the best lag putter I’ve used.  I have become a great 2 putter from long distance with that.   That said, I miss far too many 10’ and in with it.  I am much better with the Ping Harwood.  

I am likely to reshaft with the Accra this go round.  I love the BST but supposedly the Accra is softer and it’s also a lot less. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

4 hours ago, JJP84 said:

I have Mezz Max and the weight is great, much better for me than Mezz standard. Sounds great off face and the roll it puts on the ball is superb!

Did you order the heavier version or do you think the weight is just better with the standard Max as compared to the standard Mezz?  Do you notice any increased stability or any other benefits.  Really conflicted about ordering the Max, I want to pull the trigger but not sure it is worth the price tag if there isn't actually any performance benefits.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 11:47 AM, LODGE1519 said:

Did you order the heavier version or do you think the weight is just better with the standard Max as compared to the standard Mezz?  Do you notice any increased stability or any other benefits.  Really conflicted about ordering the Max, I want to pull the trigger but not sure it is worth the price tag if there isn't actually any performance benefits.

I ordered the standard weight Mezz Max and, yes, the weight felt better than the standard Mezz.  I also think the stability is better with Max because the head size is larger/heavier.  I strongly prefer Max over standard Mezz.  It is worth the price tag IMO. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 10:14 AM, JJP84 said:

I ordered the standard weight Mezz Max and, yes, the weight felt better than the standard Mezz.  I also think the stability is better with Max because the head size is larger/heavier.  I strongly prefer Max over standard Mezz.  It is worth the price tag IMO. 

Wish I could exchange my Mezz for the Max, not a big market here in Ontario for LAB stuff in the resale market.

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 8° w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood - Ping G425 14.5° w/ Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

Hybrid - Ping G425 17° w/ Accra TZ SIX 85H M5

Hybrid - Ping G430 20.5° w/ Accra TZ6 Proto 85H M5

5 Iron - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Nippon Modus 120S

6-GW - Mizuno JPX 923 Forged w/ Nippon Modus 120S

Sand Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 53° w/ Nippon Modus 125

Lob Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 58° w/ BGT ZNE 130

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Double Wide DB 32.5" w/ Garsen Max Grip

Ball - Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track

I understand the Lab Press Grips are encouraged for their standard length putters. But I’ve never been a fan of larger diameter grips (ie. Super Stroke). 

Are there any owners using the standard length putters like the Mezz with more traditional style and smaller profile grips-like a pistol grip?

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

52 minutes ago, ace036 said:

I understand the Lab Press Grips are encouraged for their standard length putters. But I’ve never been a fan of larger diameter grips (ie. Super Stroke). 

Are there any owners using the standard length putters like the Mezz with more traditional style and smaller profile grips-like a pistol grip?

I used a Garsen Quad with the B.2.  It all comes down to managing the putter onset.  As you go from the B.2 to Mezz to DF 2.1 the onset increases. Press Grips compensate somewhat for the onset by forcing your hands further forward.  The more onset, the further forward.  That's why Lab recommends the 3° Press for the DF, but only the 1.5° Press for the Mezz or B.2.  Because of the minimal onset, you can get away with a standard grip for the B.2 rather easily.  The others will be more challenging, but some folks have done it I believe.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got my first couple rounds in with the armlock DF on the weekend. I previously had an odyssey 2 ball armlock that was stock 40” and I believe 70 degree lie angle that I ditched pretty quick. This one was fit at 41.5” and 76 degrees. 

First round I left quite a few putts short but anything 5’ and in truly felt automatic. Second round was a terrible front 9 only hitting 1 green but had a few up and downs and got the speed dialled in. Hit 7 greens on the back and birdied the first 2 from 10 and 12’. 

I’ve always struggled with the odd push or pull on a short putt where I just get handsy. With the armlock the face is locked square and it is a game changer. For the time being the Mezz will be relegated to back up duty.

I currently play an Edel EAS 4.0. I watched the revealer video but can anyone comment on whether going to LAB would be different based on what putter you are coming from? Is the difference with LAB more noticeable, for example, with an OTR Scotty compared to the Edel which is supposed to be "torque balanced" or perhaps have a little less torque? Or does it not matter because the only question is whether the putter you are coming from has any torque?

Just got a Mezz 1 in last Friday.  So far I love the putter.  On the plus side I'm amazed at how well the ball rolls off the face.  I normally struggle to get the ball to the hole, but the first few rounds I was running everything 3-4 feet by if I missed.  I'll need to adjust but this is what I wanted to see.  Pure roll with no skid.  I had also thought my left hand was neutral, but after messing with this for a few days I've learned I wasn't even close to neutral.  The more I weakened my left hand the more consistent the start lines became.  

The only complaints I have are the textured press 1.5 grip actually feels more slick than the standard one they had at Club Champion where I was fitted.  This thing is also terrible at fixing ball marks.  

Overall I'm happy so far and am looking forward to working with it.  

Titleist TSR2

Sim Max 3W

Titleist U505 2-iron

T200 (4-5)

T150 (6-P)

Vokey SM9 (5012F, 5614F, 608M)

Odyssey AI-One double wide DB

On 9/5/2022 at 3:25 PM, OspreyCI said:

Ok, so round three with the DF. Honeymoon might be over quick. Struggled with the face coming open at impact. Tried various grips with the right hand. Index finger coming over in the top, ringer down the right side, and even using the right hand placed like I would for a short putter. The last grip setup was the best for center contact and not having the face swing open. 

If anyone has any more tip to not manipulate the face angle like I am doing, that would be great @SwingBlues This is my first go around with a broomstick by the way. 

Thanks. 

I have messed with broomsticks for years but never committed to the method. I have all three of the LAB models in standard length versions.  Bought a DF broomstick a couple of weeks ago for an off-season hobby project. The weather has been great and I have had a lot of unexpected outside practice time. 

my first practice session was better than expected but felt the head wasn’t consistently square at contact. While putting at home that evening, I realized my grip was way too tense (anchor hand and low hand). Ever since, a light grip with a slow back stroke has been unbelievable.  Get out of the way of the club and just let it swing.  No manipulation.  

I have not had a round with the broomstick with more than 29 putts in the last two weeks.  I can’t believe how quickly this method has become second nature. 

• Like 1