2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Club glove or hard case

Hi guys, I am looking to purchase a travel bag for my clubs. I have a stand bag and normally fly spirit since we have a small regional airport that flys to multiple spots in FL and Myrtle. My question is should I get the club glove or a hard case? I don’t want my clubs to be broken obviously but also want something that will last. I will obviously get a stiff arm as well. Any info would be great thanks.

Club Glove user for over 20 years, and never an issue. Must easier to store, as well as travel with.

And have broken two stiff arms over the years, because they worked.

• Like 2

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

@Jlender21
Recommend going with a hard case. Had a soft case first and transitioned. So I paid twice. Recommend you pay once. The check that goes on with TSA for our safety is what it should be, but the adjustments to what you have packed can be impactful in a soft case. Used to pack towels around everything around the stiff arm, but that didn’t work when everything gets moved. So....I went to hard case. With the hard case, move it where you will and it is still protected.

That’s my two cents. Let me/us know what you decide to do!!!!

I got the SKB hard case for my trip to St Andrews - largely because I've used SKB cases for my drums and guitars for a good 20 years and the quality is top-notch. Sturdy as hell, very well built and not too unwieldy to roll around the airport.

I figure the last thing I wanna cheap out on is a case that would be containing the approximately $3k (probably more, honestly) I've got invested in my golf bag.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Sun Mountain Club glider.

• Like 1

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, TM Stealth 2, 21* both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 4H & 5H, Xcaliber RTI75 S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 6-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: LAB Golf EF3, Accra graphite, 34", Press II 3*

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

This 1000 times. I dont know why anyone would use anything other than this or a ClubGlove.

Haedcsses are antiquated and won't fit in most rentals. With removable heads there's no reason to ever worry about broken clubs.

I fly on average 5 times a year with my clubs and have never had an issue with either Clubglove or SM

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Hard case user for many years. Never had an issue. They way I've seen baggage handlers throw cases I wouldn't trust anything else.

For all you guys complaining that it won't fit in the car, I've had my hard case (SKB) in very small cars. Just put it in the back seat. This works even if there are two of you on the trip.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

As mentioned above, hard cases often don't fit well in a lot of vehicles. The other downside that I've seen (twice with my buddies cases) is they can get damaged during baggage handling such that they don't close very well after being damaged. They get "racked" and the closures then don't line up very well.

There's a reason most every tour pro uses a Club Glove soft case (or something equivalent.)

For best protection - remove heads that can be removed and pack those in your carry-on. If your stand bag's openings permit, put the rest of the clubs into the bag upside down. They're better protected this way and has the huge added benefit of putting most of the weight down by the travel bag's wheels, which makes wheeling it through the airport a lot more comfortable on your hands and arms (better balance). And, of course, use a stiff-arm or equivalent. I use an old, cut-down hockey stick with a tennis ball on the end. Effectively crush-proof.

• Like 2

I have a soft case and fly all the time with it. One time the top portion of my driver shaft broke during the flight handling. One of my friends had the same thing happen to him when a cab driver stuck his soft case in a trunk. Now I take the head off my driver during travel. Other than the shaft break, the soft case is awesome. Just be wary of the driver shaft break potential.

The club glider is so easy to move. I have travelpro luggage with swiveling wheels. It movers easy, but my clubs are even smoother. One hand on the bag and it goes wherever I want. Like handling a bull with a ring in its nose.

Here is a picture that also shows how small it stores when not in use. Great for in the car or at the hotel.

ZAWZEEF1X8V8.jpg

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, TM Stealth 2, 21* both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 4H & 5H, Xcaliber RTI75 S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 6-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: LAB Golf EF3, Accra graphite, 34", Press II 3*

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

In 2006 I bought a hard case. First trip I took the case wouldn't fit in the trunk and my two kids had to sit on top of the hard case in the back seat. Not cool.

I donated the hard case to Goodwill and bought a Club Glove and have not regretted it. I use it about 3 times a year and loan it to buddies when they have a chance to take clubs with them for a work trip. I've never had a mishap. With adjustable drivers I take the head off my driver and store it in a pocket. Easy peasy.

I would never, EVER, go back to a hard case.

• Like 1

Correct (re: Southwest) A LOT of airlines will not pay for any damage unless your clubs are in a HARD-sided case. That's enough for me. Here's a decent rundown. http://www.criticalgolf.com/blog/2013-airline-rules-regulations-traveling-with-golf-clubs/

Personally I picture something particularly heavy landing midway up my bad directly onto the shafts. Soft-sided ? You're done.

As for the case in the car, if you're in a larger car it may not fit in the trunk but it will fit crosswise on the rear seat. Once you get where you're staying and unload who cares about it. Now if you have a full car, I guess that's a decent reason, but otherwise,,,,,,,,,

And as somebody up top said, disassemble the driver (and others if you can).

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Yeah. I have gotten a few comments when I'm in the curbside line on how cool it looks and how easy I can move it.

Good picture of how compact it is not in use. Easily fits in a corner of my office---i keep my clubs at work.

I can't imagine where I would store a hard case.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I had a hard case about 20 years ago and sold it a few years later because it would not fit in the trunk and it was difficult to store. Purchased a Club Glove and stiff arm and never had a problem. However, I now used shipsticks when I travel so I do not have to walk through the airport with luggage, my wife and my 5 year old. Other than having to ship the clubs a few days earlier and ship them back to my wife's office the day before we return home, no real issues for me.

Used shipsticks about 6 times and it's been great. They often send emails with discounts that actually happen to benefit me. Once they offer next day shipping for no additional cost (both ways). To me, that was a steal from the SF Bay Area to Granger, Indiana.

SIM 9.75* - Diamana DF 60X | SIM 15* - Diamana D+ 70X | SIM 19* - Diamana D+ 80X | ZX7 - shafts TBD | Zipcore 50/54/58 S400 | NP2 Button Back

I went back and forth deciding between soft and hard shell. Ultimately went with soft case. One additional benefit... If you use your bag to store clothes (doubles as padding for the clubs), the soft case has some give to expand. Hard case, not so much.

But yeah, take your wood/hybrid heads off (if you can). Between that and using shirts to pad the top, you don't even need a stiff arm.

I'm not sure but would the type of bag would be a factor in this decision as well? I'd imagine that if you were using a sturdy staff or cart bag that you would be less prone to damage if you were to use a soft case. This is just an assumption. Whereas if you were to use a stand bag with a thin material I think you may need to go the hard case route. Again, just an assumption.

I bought the cheapest soft case I could find about 15 years ago. Still working. I have a Sun Mountain 2.5 bag. I take all the heads off and wrap clothes and towels around everything.

It’s got a few small wear holes from being dragged around, so I may need to buy another soon. I only fly once a year.

Have had a club glove for many years and it has worked very well.

Have to be careful not to put so much stuff in it that it weighs more than 50 pounds though.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

I travel a bit for work and often have times to play in the US, plus have taken two overseas trips and never had an issue with a hybrid. Mine is a Bag Boy I believe. I also take my woods off of their shafts, just to be safe. I live in Atlanta and have been to Scotland, Ireland, Phoenix, San Diego, Texas, Chicago, and a few other places and have never had a problem. Scotland in particular I had this thing packed full since I only took a carry on for a 9 day trip. Three pairs of shoes, waterproofs, couple of other pairs of shoes, bought some extra golf shirts while I was there.

Bag Boy T-10 Wheeled Travel Cover | TGW.com

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One