Reducing the number of wedges in your bag?

jjfcpa

I currently have 4 wedges in my bag - PW (43*), GW (48*), SW (54*), and a LW (58*).  I personally think this is just too many wedges and actually makes me much less consistent.  I remember reading that Jack Nicklaus played with a PW and SW.  I can see how this would make one more consistent because you'd learn how to use that SW in a lot of different circumstances.  Open it for lobs and reduce the loft for bump and runs or controlled chips.  

I've found that when I carry the 58* wedge, I tend to use it too much... and the 54 seldom gets used.  However, before I put a 58* in the bag, I used my 54* for everything. The other side of this is that each wedge requires its own practice time, although I don't spend a lot of time with the PW or GW on the range.  I just need them to fill gaps.  The 54* and 58* just don't have that much of a gap between them.  Consequently, I ordered a 56* and will pull the 54* and 58* and reduce the number of clubs to 13.

Anyone else done this and if I'm not thinking of this correctly, let me know.

I like both the SW and LW for different reasons. I play a higher bounce SW with a sharp leading edge and a round leading edge in the LW which allows me to do many things from low spinners, pitches and super flops around the greens.

Personally, I think 14 clubs is plenty so I carry the allowable in case I do need that one shot.

Edited by Chuck905
  • Like 2

I've never carried a bunch of wedges, right now I go from PW (48°) to a 51° bent to 52°, and then a 58°. PW I can pretty much hit from 120 and in, 52 can open up easily and is great for around the greens (I have a Pelz Winn grip on it that's almost 1.5 Times a regular grip length for choking down making it even more versatile) and the 58 is only used out of bunkers or when I really need to get it up in the air and stopping. I don't feel like I'm coming up short with the setup I'm running. 

I grew up playing 3 wedges, pw, 52 and 56.  I was very good at manipulating the lofts for different shots but it required a lot of practice.  When kids and work came along and I wasn’t at the practice facilities 5-6 days a week my ability to make shots diminished.  I can’t imagine going back to that setup now that life has gotten in the way.

All depends on your iron gapping.  Longer players will favor a 4 wedge setup due to gapping issues and also the fact they hit more full wedges into par 4's.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Playing in a MGA event this Sunday on a shortish course so i'm taking my minimalist bag. It goes 44° 9i, 50° gw, and 56° sw. It's really all I need from 145 yards in.

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

I’m leaving my 58 home the next few times I get out to see what happens. My partial shots have been a mess lately and of all my scoring clubs the 58 is the least consistent. Even in the practice area, I am more consistent with my 54 from the same spot. Even with a wide sole grind, I can open up the 54 and get the height I need. So the 58 will stay home so I’m not even tempted to try it until I sort things out. 

We're going on a Minimalist Adventure who knows were we'll end up:

"Full" 10-Club Bag currently looks like this:

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Titleist 818H1 25* Fuji Atmos Black 9s

Callaway Mavrik Pro 7-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

Vokey SM9 50.08F

Vokey SM9 56.10S

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

39 minutes ago, J13 said:

All depends on your iron gapping.  Longer players will favor a 4 wedge setup due to gapping issues and also the fact they hit more full wedges into par 4's.

I actually think it's the opposite for longer players as they can generate more spin, so playing 1/2 and 3/4 shots is easier for them vs. a slow swing player (obviously exceptions exist).  I very rarely hit full wedges as it is, on any hole, but if I was, then I know I'm either playing a very short course or the wrong tees.

The only reason that 'the 4 wedge setup' exists is because of OEM's changing the number on the bottom of the clubs.  No one in their right mind should ever think that something that is 43* is a 'PW'.

Edited by setter02
  • Like 1

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

Ignore the numbers or letters on the club. I think its best to think of any club you regularly use for a full swing as an iron. For you, Im guessing, the 43*/48* are used that way. Treat them like a 10/11 iron. Wedges were originally designed to fill a different purpose other than irons - hitting short shots from varied (ie - non fairway) lies around the green.

My 9 iron is at 45* and the PW (10 iron) 50*. I have two "wedges." A 55* with plenty of bounce and some hell/toe relief that is my go to club out of bunkers and around the green. I can hit full shots with it, but I usually try and leave myself a full or 3/4 PW rather than a full SW. I also carry a very low bounce, aggressively ground 60* that is my get out of jail club. That mix suits me, but others prefer different things. 

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

Back in JN's days the PW was 50* and the SW was 55-56*. Then came the bumping of the lofts. I played 48-54-60 for 20+ years and finally settled in on 46-50-54-58. The 46 is what I consider to be a 9+ iron and the gap at 50 is a PW. I tend to use the 54 more than any other club and the 58 in the bunkers and when its needed to get up quickly. Keep it simple but don't think anything less than 48* is really a PW, because its not. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

I changed my set-up this year and dropped my 50 and 54 degree wedges for a single 52 (so my current wedge set-up is now 46-52-58). 

Biggest benefit is that it simplifies my decision-making. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

If your scoring stays the same or improves when you drop a wedge, then perhaps you don't need four wedges.  If it gets worse if you drop a wedge, then four might be a good thing.  It really is that simple.  No right or wrong, no magic formula.

I carry four, but they are gapped the way I prefer with my other irons so I don't think of them as "wedges", more so as scoring clubs. 

• Like 1

with the lofts of your Pw and Gap, you are actually carrying two wedges. Haaaaa haaaaa. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

1 hour ago, TourSpoon said:

Back in JN's days the PW was 50* and the SW was 55-56*. Then came the bumping of the lofts. I played 48-54-60 for 20+ years and finally settled in on 46-50-54-58. The 46 is what I consider to be a 9+ iron and the gap at 50 is a PW. I tend to use the 54 more than any other club and the 58 in the bunkers and when its needed to get up quickly. Keep it simple but don't think anything less than 48* is really a PW, because its not. 

I use to think anything less than 48* is not a PW. My Ping i210 PW@45* does everything my Cally Apex MB@49* can do. They both get to the same yardages in different ways via trajectory, spin rates, carry  and roll out.

Edited by Chuck905

4 hours ago, jjfcpa said:

I currently have 4 wedges in my bag - PW (43*), GW (48*), SW (54*), and a LW (58*).  I personally think this is just too many wedges and actually makes me much less consistent.  I remember reading that Jack Nicklaus played with a PW and SW.  I can see how this would make one more consistent because you'd learn how to use that SW in a lot of different circumstances.  Open it for lobs and reduce the loft for bump and runs or controlled chips.  

I've found that when I carry the 58* wedge, I tend to use it too much... and the 54 seldom gets used.  However, before I put a 58* in the bag, I used my 54* for everything. The other side of this is that each wedge requires its own practice time, although I don't spend a lot of time with the PW or GW on the range.  I just need them to fill gaps.  The 54* and 58* just don't have that much of a gap between them.  Consequently, I ordered a 56* and will pull the 54* and 58* and reduce the number of clubs to 13.

Anyone else done this and if I'm not thinking of this correctly, let me know.

There is no rule that you have to use your highest lofted club around the greens.  Use whatever you feel comfortable with and gets you the best score. 

There are situations that loft helps though....  

50yrds to a middle/back pin, use whatever you like.  

50yrds to a front pin on a raised green, that extra few degrees of loft will come in handy.  

Use the 58 as an emergency club vs an every shot club. 

Two seasons ago I replaced my wedges and went from 46-50-54-58 to 48-54-60.

I found the 46 and 50 were duplicated in a couple of cells in the partial wedge matrix. So, I went with a 48 to split the difference. (I quickly included half and 3/4 swings with 9i to fill a gap).

At Thanksgiving, I picked up a slightly used Calla MD4 LW in 58*, and it knocked the 60* out of the bag after 20 minutes at practice green. The 58 has more consistent distance, plus I can hit a 3/4 shot with it that doesn't work with the 60.

Finally... three wedges is much easier to practice, and much easier to manage on course than four wedges.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

In my modern bag i have T300 irons with a pw 43* and a gw 48*. These ”wedges”  are same style as the other irons and l dont see them as wedges, they are 10iron and 11iron. Then i go to a SW at 56* as my only wedge. In my retro MB iron set pw is 50* and l still see that pw as an iron because of the sole grind. I only use a 56* sw in this bag too.

• Like 3

I’ve gone back and forth over the years on 4 wedges to 3.  PW, 54*, 60* for 3 wedge and the thought was to simplify as others have mentioned, but in my experience reducing the number of wedges required more practice.  You “can” it all kinds of shots with a 54*, but to do it well it took lots of practice.  I find that PW, 52, 56, 60 is easier to play “standard” shots and not have to modify swings, loft, lie as much.  My PW is 47* for reference.  If you have a “modern” 43* PW, I can’t see anyway to reasonably go to 3 wedge setup unless you max out at 56*.

i have found that reducing wedges to get another hybrid, 5w, etc is not a good trade in my opinion for my game, as I would rather have to hit a non-stock shot from 220+ maybe once or twice a round vs wedge shots which make up a big total of the total shots on a round.  This is very dependent on each persons game and the course, but frequency of clubs used and narrowing in the range/consistency in an area that you hit a lot of shots is an important factor.

Clubs are clubs.  Labels are irrelevant.  I swing every club full (except putter - I have never acquired the feel for it) so I can cover the max distance range from a 3W down to LW with a full swing.  I arrange my lofts to minimize gaps across that range of clubs (15 yards or less).  I pick the most appropriate club for each shot I face based on effective distance, lie, and how I plan to play the shot.  All this results in 4 "wedges" 45°, 49.5°, 54°, and 58°.  I can't think of any good reason to change.

• Like 1

JP learned with pw and sw. you had the odd numbered irons and woods so between shots were always there. 

JP thinks it made him a better scrambler, but that is just opinion.

he likes having 14 as it reduces some variability

pw,52,56.

Edited by Jack Pearsall

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3