Is It Easier To Turn The Ball Over With A Small-Head Driver?

EmperorPenguin

I have about a dozen drivers and I notice that the larger, 460cc heads have a tendency to fade, and the smaller heads are easier to hit the ball straight or even turn over a little.  My most reliable driver for straight shots is a Titleist 983K, and I know that driver is not 460cc.  I remember in the past that Tour players prefer slightly smaller heads.  I don't know if it is cosmetic, or because it is easier for them to turn the ball over if they need to.  Do you guys also notice a tendency to fade with the larger heads?

For me I have found the smaller heads a bit more fade biased actually. Key word there being for me of course. Also, in my time around fittings I had always had the smaller heads explained to me as being lower spin and thus tend to be a little more fade biased for that as well (what I was told). Looking forward to seeing what others say on this and how its played for them!

I think so - I went for a Driver fitting about a month ago, and tried the SIM, Cobra SZ, G410, TS3 and TS4, and the only one I could turn over reliably was the TS4 - everything else was either straight or moved left to right.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I have never particularly noticed 460cc heads being harder to draw but I would definitely say that I have found lower lofted clubs harder. As my ball flight seems to have gone up over the years, I have lofted down over time - 10.5 down to 8.5 over the past few years (moon balls don’t work on the links of Scotland) and as I have gone down the lofts, I have found it harder to turn it over. It could just be me but as a result, I rarely try to hit anything but a little fade of the tee these days.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

In theory and all other things being equal, a more rearward CG promotes a closed face at impact as the CG is "trying to catch up" with the shaft axis. BUT a smaller head with less MOI might be easier to manipulate, so I guess it depends on wether you want a "draw-biased driver" or a driver that is easy to manipulate from neutral to a draw

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

38 minutes ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

In theory and all other things being equal, a more rearward CG promotes a closed face at impact as the CG is "trying to catch up" with the shaft axis. BUT a smaller head with less MOI might be easier to manipulate, so I guess it depends on wether you want a "draw-biased driver" or a driver that is easy to manipulate from neutral to a draw

Yes, the more rearward CG tries to align with the hosel in the swing, but a CG farther from the hosel requires more effort to return square.  I don't know how much of each of these two aspects is applied in the swing.  <shrug>

A higher clubhead MOI also promotes a straighter flight.  Remember Nick Faldo's comment after playing Eye2 irons.  😉 And, for that matter, the Tour Player response to the SLDR, a fair number of them reporting it too difficult to control.

It's not infrequently mentioned on TV that a pro will use a fairway wood when he wishes to move the ball laterally more easily on a tee shot.  Prior to this century's move to huge drivers, most players were taught the 3w was straighter, due to the higher loft.  Now we hear the opposite.  IMHO, it's due to MOI.

Being topical and stating the obvious, I say the answer to the OP question is yes, smaller clubs are easier to turn over.  And fade as well, if one wishes.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

9 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

I have about a dozen drivers and I notice that the larger, 460cc heads have a tendency to fade, and the smaller heads are easier to hit the ball straight or even turn over a little.  My most reliable driver for straight shots is a Titleist 983K, and I know that driver is not 460cc.  I remember in the past that Tour players prefer slightly smaller heads.  I don't know if it is cosmetic, or because it is easier for them to turn the ball over if they need to.  Do you guys also notice a tendency to fade with the larger heads?

The Titleist 983K is 365 CC size, which is easier to square-at-impact than a 460 CC size driver. But, loft is relevant as well. The lower the loft the more challenging it is to produce a draw shot. 20 years ago the 260CC 975D is 9.5* loft was a very popular driver for all skill levels, from amateur to Tour pro. So, head size and loft work together to form an ideal combination.

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Smaller heads typically mean less spin, meaning less forgiving. This “should” result in a more true reaction of the ball in reaction to the drivers face angle. Meaning since the MOI is lower, the head won’t correct itself as much. So if you put a “draw” swing it a “fade” swing on it, it should react more violently than a bigger, more forging driver. The same said with irons-cavity vs. blades. 

Smaller heads are easier to work the ball , fade or draw but, face angle  and swing path have more to do with working the ball.

Neutral club settings should take the  side spin biases out of the ball flight . With practice, a 460cc driver will yield good results with working the ball flight.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Yep, like @Bunkersarebigcups and @NRJyzr said, the farther the head's CG from the shaft axis the bigger that torque and MOI about that axis - more resistance making it potentially harder to turn over.  I think that an individual's sensitivity to that resistance may be a missing factor when trying to figure out feel.  It's a small torque and MOI, but it's something we react to when swinging even if we're not aware of it.

I mentioned in another other thread or two that no one measures it, let alone thinks to.  We just know swingweight or MOI lengthwise of the club.  Someone will create a torque or MOI scale for it one day (Mitchell, GolfWorks, Auditor... you reading?!).  Maltby MPF clubhead MOI and C dimensions come close (can probably shift MOI to hosel axis with parallel axis theorem).  Practically we just have anecdotal evidence of how shafts of different torque ratings feel and how different head/shaft combos feel.

We know the head CG tries to align with the shaft axis causing toe in, toe droop, increase in dynamic loft, but the resistance to rotate the wrists would be personal to one's own biomechanics.  Similar to how jumbo grips can make it hard for some people to square the face, but some people don't have any problem, and they wonder what's wrong with the others!  So for some (maybe majority?) having a smaller headed driver or a blade iron with the head's CG closer to the shaft axis than a bigger head would be easier to turn over or manipulate.

Edited by joostin

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

I would argue (for me) that it's easier to "turn over" a shorter length club to a longer length club up a point.  It's more of a length and loft than head size to an extent. 

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

One quiggle in this is that smaller traditional shaped heads tend to be more open by design because they’re targeted at better players, and also have shorter gravity angles that will reduce dynamic loft and face closure during the impact sequence when compared to deep CG 460 cc drivers. 

But yet I think it’s easier to consistently square a smaller headed club. The look just suits my eye and swing. And I think moving so much mass away from the shaft axis like we see in modern drivers looks good in a computer model or a robot test, but can actually make it more difficult to “feel” the club head through impact. 

I have had a theory about this for a lot of years now. There are guys, usually “swingers” that can play well with just about anything. Then there’s the people who for a variety of reasons really see stark contrasts in their ability to strike the ball from club to club. These people tend to be “hitters.” 

I played baseball growing up and through college. I didn’t take up golf until 7 years after college. A baseball bat doesn’t bend during the swing, and, as a golf “hitter” my mind tried applying that same “doesn’t bend” idea to golf clubs. It took me longer than I’d like to admit to learn that golf clubs do bend and that was why the head wasn’t where my brain was telling it would be with certain clubs. Particular my ultra forgiving G10 driver. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think that smaller headed drivers with their inherent forward CG (usually with a stout shaft) are more popular with “hitter” types because the head weight isn’t as far from the shaft axis which provides more feel for the face at impact, and thus less reliance on timing. Kinda like knowing where the meat of the baseball bat is in the swing. 

If you think about it the driver is the one club where the CG is so far away from the shaft axis and also the one club almost everyone has trouble hitting. Sure it has a longer shaft and less loft, which certainly contribute, but I firmly believe there is something to the head size/CG/shaft axis relationship that makes it hard for a lot of amateurs to hit driver consistently. 

RomaRo 435LX 10*-Quadra FEX 65SX 

PRGR Egg HD 14.5*-Fubuki 75S 3W
PRGR EGG 20* - M-43S 7 wood

RomaRo iBrid 2 22* - Crazy Hybrid 

Miura PP9003SN 5-G - Modus 125S 

Miura HB12 @ 55* - Modus 125 W

2015 PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V

Axis1 Rose - Garsen Quad Tour grip

https://Not allowed because of spam.com/2019-driver-center-of-gravity-and-moi-report/

If you look through this report you can find which driver heads will have more of a draw/fade bias to them based off the weighting. This can be amplified within the driver that have a movable weight. This be be a helpful starting point if you are looking for a driver that is easier to turn over for you. 

I naturally hit a draw and there has never been a driver on this planet that I could never draw.  If I hit a fade it's by accident.  I did have a TM R11 Super Deep and that was the only driver where I could play a 10 yard cut just by manipulating my grip but that was the only exception to the rule. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 10/12/2020 at 5:57 AM, NRJyzr said:

Yes, the more rearward CG tries to align with the hosel in the swing, but a CG farther from the hosel requires more effort to return square.  I don't know how much of each of these two aspects is applied in the swing.  <shrug>

A higher clubhead MOI also promotes a straighter flight.  Remember Nick Faldo's comment after playing Eye2 irons.  😉 And, for that matter, the Tour Player response to the SLDR, a fair number of them reporting it too difficult to control.

It's not infrequently mentioned on TV that a pro will use a fairway wood when he wishes to move the ball laterally more easily on a tee shot.  Prior to this century's move to huge drivers, most players were taught the 3w was straighter, due to the higher loft.  Now we hear the opposite.  IMHO, it's due to MOI.

Being topical and stating the obvious, I say the answer to the OP question is yes, smaller clubs are easier to turn over.  And fade as well, if one wishes.

With regards to the 3w, I think it is much more about spin than MOI. Today's golf ball obviously spins much less, and in the age of more optimized launch conditions with lower spin off the driver, the 3-wood is simply much safer to turn over given the higher loft and spin. The window between tight draw and duck hook is much smaller with the driver, especially if you are someone with a big positive AoA and very low spin. When you look at the power hitters that like to play a draw, they tend to have a higher average spinning setup for stability. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

On 10/11/2020 at 10:39 PM, EmperorPenguin said:

The 983K was a draw biased driver. The larger heads do tend to lag open slightly but you would be surprised how many tour players have heel weight in their drivers to make it easier to turn over.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip