Miura Feel - Is it Overrated?

JStang

I recently picked up a set of CB-1008 irons and have played some really good golf with them. I expected to be blown away by the feel and really haven't experienced that "wow" moment yet. Don't get me wrong, they feel good when flushed but they aren't life changing by any means. Has anyone else had this experience? 

• Like 1

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

I think they feel amazing. Very crisp and thick feeling. Not pillowy like Mizuno. You know you hit something - hard. If you're more of a picker maybe it isn't as good as the turf interaction is a bit part of it too. I'm 5-6 down with a mid iron. Are you a bit more shallow? 

• Like 1

I am kind of in between. I used to be really steep and then got really shallow and am now in between. They do get out of the turf really well but my 716 CB / MB combo set feels better (softer) to me. 

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Try to find an older Japan forged and made Miura Giken model.  The CB1005 or the MB equivalent from that same period.  Definitely not over rated imo.  The current Miura's I wont comment on.

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01 - PRGR HD 14.5*/CarrysQ 16.5*/19* Crazy Boron Two Tree

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - PRGR CarrysQ 20*/24* COA U-294 Beretta
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

5 hours ago, Awainer1 said:

It’s overrated. Kyeoi forgings are the pinnacle in my opinion. 

My favorite forging house too.

• Like 2

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01 - PRGR HD 14.5*/CarrysQ 16.5*/19* Crazy Boron Two Tree

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - PRGR CarrysQ 20*/24* COA U-294 Beretta
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

I owned a few sets for a short period of time and prefer the Endo forgings like OnOff , Srixon.....

I used to be a Mizuno loyalist until I played my 2015 OnOff Kuro Irons. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

What you have sampled will influence how different you think they are. I have not had the fortune to sample many of the smaller japanese forgings.

I also have the CB1008s as a second/special set and compared to my gamer P770s (underrated IMHO), and mizunos from similar time, or older Staffs the one piece forged Miuras to me have a very distinct and powerful feel to me. Its not soft, but dense and solid. 

I have yet to feel a club like it. Not selling 🙂 

- b

Edited by bvanlieu

On 3/11/2021 at 12:22 PM, JStang said:

I recently picked up a set of CB-1008 irons and have played some really good golf with them. I expected to be blown away by the feel and really haven't experienced that "wow" moment yet. Don't get me wrong, they feel good when flushed but they aren't life changing by any means. Has anyone else had this experience? 

For me there is a discernible difference between a flushed shot and an okay shot with Miura. And that is where I think the magic is, ie the pursuit of that feel. Interesting enough, that feel also correlates with a good technique. So especially at the range, I try to swing the club to produce that feel and when I do, it is always a good shot.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 6:54 AM, bvanlieu said:

What you have sampled will influence how different you think they are. I have not had the fortune to sample many of the smaller japanese forgings.

I also have the CB1008s as a second/special set and compared to my gamer P770s (underrated IMHO), and mizunos from similar time, or older Staffs the one piece forged Miuras to me have a very distinct and powerful feel to me. Its not soft, but dense and solid. 

I have yet to feel a club like it. Not selling 🙂 

- b

This is a good explanation as to how I feel about them. I just prefer something softer but no complaints if I'm scoring well. 

It's just a different feel, some irons produce soft buttery feelings, others are crisp, and some feel terrible. I was hitting a CB57 side by side with a TB-Zero, and although a slightly different feeling at impact they both have that crisp dense impact feel and sound. In comparison to a MP-20, which feels so soft. They are all great irons, just different. 

I've not hit many of the Japanese irons but I have owned Bridgestone and Miura and both have exceptional feel.  I currently plat the TC201s but won't be selling my B'stone 40cbs.

Mavrik 10.5 w/ADTP6S

Super Hybrid 17 @16

Apex 20 w/ADDI 95S

X2HOT 23 w/ADDI 95S

4-PW Miura TC201

52 and 58 Mizunos

Toulon Atlanta

TourB X

On 3/11/2021 at 2:22 PM, JStang said:

they are like any other forged club as far as feel goes.....they are beautiful tools and handcrafted which is nice, but hitting a ball with a certain piece of forged steel can only feel so good....same with Mizuno.....its all marketing.   The hing that counts is how you score but you can be proud you own a beautiful set of foged beauty...there is no doubt these are high quality clubs....and i felt the same way when hit Miuras....then i hit Mizunos...same thing....then i hit Titleist....same thing,,,,,,

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tsecor said:

they are like any other forged club as far as feel goes.....they are beautiful tools and handcrafted which is nice, but hitting a ball with a certain piece of forged steel can only feel so good....same with Mizuno.....its all marketing.   The hing that counts is how you score but you can be proud you own a beautiful set of foged beauty...there is no doubt these are high quality clubs....and i felt the same way when hit Miuras....then i hit Mizunos...same thing....then i hit Titleist....same thing,,,,,,

I felt the same way about Mizuno irons. I wasn't blown away but as you said, marketing has made us believe that "nothing feels like a Mizuno." 

Miura is more than just the feel. I think the grinds of the clubs and the weighting is one of their biggest positives. 

I do agree that on feel alone, they have significant competition but they do feel unique in their own way that others cant copy. I have the tour wedges and a 008 putter and the center of every club feels basically identical. (baby blades are the irons). 

I'm at the range working on my game, specifically iron play. I'm like anyone else, I'll glance at other's bags(witb) as I mosey in to find an open mat. Sure enough, as usual, I'm the only one with blades...my 50 year old FX-101's.

As usual, I need the first 20 balls or so, before I start flushing and pureing some shots. My slight mis-hits before that are all well advertised by a unique resonance to anyone else around with a keen ear.

I'm mostly through my bucket when I'm hearing and seeing from the corner of my eye, pured shots one after the other from 2 mats behind me. I take notice like everyone else, and begin admiring a young man with blades, just confidently putting on a clinic with his irons. I spot that they are Miura, nice.

His two buddies show up and quietly interact with him. He's shaping shots by request from his buddies, all pured, the sound supports what you are witnessing.

I notice while he addresses the ball, that these are small like mine, and I spot in his bag that they are baby blades. So I pick the right time and approach to share my admiration of his shots and the club's he's using. I show him my 6i, and we compare how close in size and shape, that mine are to his. I offer him to take some shots on these 50 year old irons. He accepts, hands me his 6i, takes one easy air swing away from the mats, then steps up to the mat to take a better practice swing. He then addresses a ball and pures one as straight and true as can be. He hits 3 more, all of them money.

I notice while holding his 6i, that it is just as hefty as mine. He hands back my 6i and says, nice clubs, and that they are real close to his.

Its nice to see a real artist at work, and with multiple implements. His Miura's certainly suit him.

2 hours ago, Nard_S said:

In general, fully agnostic on feel. Miura's I have used feel dense but their strength is how they perform. Ooze quality. Play a set that's over 30 years old, they're as good as irons come. 

I've had two sets of Miura irons - the old LH Forged CB and the newer LH CB-801 with the y-grind.  Previously I played the Endo forged Bridgestone J15 CB irons, and several sets of Titleist forged CB's before that.  The J15 CB's were definitely the softest feeling of all of the sets, but the Miuras feel way more solid and "dense" with center-face contact.  There's no feeling quite like flushing one with a Miura forging.  I definitely prefer the feel of the Miuras to any of the other sets I've owned.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

8 hours ago, tsecor said:

Owned them and sold them. Same feeling.

Huge marketing scam with Forged, especially in regards to Miura and Mizuno. 

If cash clubs felt worse, do you think so many pros would use Ping i210s.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

Owned them and sold them. Same feeling.

Huge marketing scam with Forged, especially in regards to Miura and Mizuno. 

If cash clubs felt worse, do you think so many pros would use Ping i210s.

Feeling of impact is subjective and some may prefer the feel of a cast club, but I think I so many pros use i210 for how they perform in terms of turf interaction and trajectory. Hovkand plays i210 for the sole which fits his swing so well. Finau plays blueprints as that is what fits his game best. They aren’t choosing based on cast or forged, or how soft an iron feels. 

I currently own about 8 sets of miuras with varying shafts, some not shafted, etc.  I also own a set of Kyeoi MB raws.  I do not own mizuno currently but did own a few sets of the MP14, and 33's back in the day.  

For me, miura is so pure.  the MB001 is the best, the BB is hard to beat but not as good as the MB.  The tourney blades are good, but behind both those two.  Mc501 is ok but too offset but feels as good as the TBs.  The rest I have are comparable to the Mizzy's but are the quasi cavity backed irons and the offset is slightly more than I want, but still feel softer than other irons per se.  

The guy that said the kyeois are the best, he is correct as far as feel.  Nothing like them ever.  I have not hit some of the Japanese one off USA brands, so I cannot compare to the one offs.  Kyeoi is unreal in terms of smoothness and feel.  I do not play them as my main set as they are about a 3/4 club shorter in the mid irons and then the long irons just seem to fade together as far as distance gaps. I think I could bend them to a better gapping but then it would change the 'v grind' thing they have going on and I just have not done that.  

Miura is a real deal.  I suspect as is most of the other Japanese forging houses.  Kyeoi MB raws are untouchable.  

Edited by ivygynonc
  • Like 1

My first set of irons ever was some secondhand cb1005 in s200 shaft. They are nice but I don't know what feel is considered good? when hitting a extremely bad shot they make a nasty snap sound. I play mizuno mp20mb now, in comparison the mp20mb is much more psychically punishing then the cb1005 with bad shots but I think there is more feedback to help me correct my swing. Pure shots feel nice on both, the cb1005 feels slightly thicker. One other model of iron I have used extensively at driving range is ping blueprint, I find no fault with them too. While these forged irons are light years ahead of multi piece construction irons in terms of feel. I don't think one brand can top the golf industry at this point, every brand is using good material and techniques. in the end its nitpicking and preference.

Edited by is200LS