I hate to admit this, but ....

Obee

I can’t see myself every enjoy watching Bryson. I respect his golf game. The big hitting thing has massively distracted from his ability in over facets of the game. His approach to the game though and the persona or should I say “brand” that he creates along side it just rubs me up the wrong way. I can’t complain though, all sports should have a heel, a person the fans love to hate and Bryson (along with Reed) fulfils that role for me perfectly.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

On 3/14/2021 at 2:22 PM, Obee said:

This ^^^^

I completely understand the need for many of them to be exactly as they are in order to compete in their own way at their own very best. It is a crazy fine line they walk.

In my own (not very good, amateur golf) life, my best golf only started to come when I completely, and utterly started to play the game in my own way and completely for me. Not to impress anyone. Not to follow convention. ONLY to play my best golf.

And that's not to say that there can't be growth or change in what that is over the years, but that always has to be the goal at any given time: to play one's best in one's own way.

You know me well enough on here to know I always try to play my way right or wrong. And I will tell you Stu Golf can be UGLY but it works for me and it is fun for me. I have always believed that there is no one etched in stone proper way to swing or play this game and that goes for equipment set up too. I remember my first impressions of you on the hybrids was " This guy knows his game and equipment and can play"

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

There will never be another player as enjoyable to watch as Tiger. Absolutely must see TV. He's given us so many amazing moments that it's hard to even remember favorites but I'll say his 2018 PGA Championship final round is some of the most fun I've ever had watching sports on TV. He lost to Koepka but man that was exciting.

Of the current players Bryson is the most enjoyable to watch. He is doing things nobody else can do which is exactly what made Tiger so interesting in his prime. 

Brooks Koepka is another that is(was?) great to watch on TV. During his major run he was just flushing the ball and reminded me a lot of Tiger. Absolutely clutch. 

I think most of the other big names are pretty boring to watch on TV but are incredible to watch in person. (DJ, JT, Rory, etc)

• Like 1

I enjoy watching all the guys who do things differently and see the payoff. Watching Bryson execute shots is fun, especially his short game this season. It's been special. 

It would be nice if he could go an entire tournament without requesting a very questionable ruling from an official. That's the kind of stuff that drives me nuts. Big picture, it is not inconsistent with his overall strategy of pushing the game to the edges of what's allowable, but there are too many instances of him being rude to those officials, and this tactic interrupts the flow of the round for his playing partners. Both a big no-no in my book. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

You would pick to watch Webb? Do you sit in your bathroom and watch your wet towel dry too?

I guess I do as well. Watching Webb is fascinating. He does not look the part compared to most swings on tour but is #10 in the rankings. I really enjoy watching him work his way around the course.....and watching towels dry too!!😂

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I generally agree with @Obee and his thoughts here.  I think watching the guys who are always in trouble, and working to get out of it, like JS, Reed, etc. are the most fun to watch.  It pains me to watch players with poor short games.  For example, I really don't like Rory, if he has his A game he is hard to beat, but he really has no chance of winning without it.  Tiger was so dominant because his A game was better than anyone's and his B or C game could still contend because his short game was so good.  Same with Phil to some extent. Jordan is so fascinating because he has the ability, much like Tiger, to hit spectacular shots under the spotlight, the flare for the dramatic.  (not saying he is as good as Tiger)  

Bryson is fun to watch because it's like a high speed car race, you will see more people try to replicate what he does in the future for sure, but whether they have a well rounded enough game to to pull it off remains to be seen.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

My grandmother drilled it into me that if I didn't have something nice to say about someone, I should just shut up.    I also believe some of the folks we're talking about read this forum, so it can feel cruel when they hear unvarnished opinions about them.

That said, and without naming names, there are 3 players that I dislike watching.  Mostly for poor sportsmanship.  In fact, I actively root against them.  

I'll turn the tv off if these guys are in the final group.

On 3/13/2021 at 7:59 AM, BNGL said:

DISCLAIMER these are my opinions formed through interactions with the players specifically or interactions with people who spend considerable time with a player. 

I don't root against a lot of players, but Bryson is one of them. I have met him twice (maybe three times?) every experience has been the absolute worst with him, talking to him is a step above jamming a clothes hanger in my ear. He's a child, constantly bemoaning course conditions (no bad shot is ever his fault). That bunker comment happens literally every week with him...he said the greens sucked at Winged Foot. 

Just a step above jamming a clothes hanger in your ear huh?! That’s funny. Definitely paints a picture. Hard to believe anyone would be surprised by that take. I’ve said on the site before I don’t root for him. But I definitely respect that he had the guts to break out of the mold and do things his way. The fact that not only has he done it, but is winning big tournaments is  commendable 👏🏼. You can dislike the guy, but can’t deny him that. Closest thing the tour has to ‘must see TV’. 

3 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

<snip>

Bryson is fun to watch because it's like a high speed car race, you will see more people try to replicate what he does in the future for sure, but whether they have a well rounded enough game to to pull it off remains to be seen.  

I agree. Some will try and it will be interesting to watch.

It's rare for the same person to be equally interested in stats/data AND nutrition/fitness. I'd imagine there will be a lot of swole bros who feel encouraged to follow him down the smash-and-hack path but knowing WHEN to take a chance is as important as having the guts to take it. 

Bryson is more like a disciplined professional poker player than an MMA fighter. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

8 hours ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

You would pick to watch Webb? Do you sit in your bathroom and watch your wet towel dry too?

Haha, That’s a normal day in lockdown Britain.

I would watch him, he is one of the few players that can shape the ball properly. 

• Like 3

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

I dont personally think anything is that exciting about seeing bryson hitting bit drives. Its just a drive but longer and taking lines we all would if we could hit that far lol but it is intresting to know when someones expected to win if they can. Thats what intrest me. Everytime masters rolls around you have to say... man can rory win this one for the grand slam?? He just cant seem to do it lol. Also.. their really is no 1 i root against. All these guys deserve to win one.

On 3/17/2021 at 2:35 PM, TiScape said:

Just a step above jamming a clothes hanger in your ear huh?! That’s funny. Definitely paints a picture. Hard to believe anyone would be surprised by that take. I’ve said on the site before I don’t root for him. But I definitely respect that he had the guts to break out of the mold and do things his way. The fact that not only has he done it, but is winning big tournaments is  commendable 👏🏼. You can dislike the guy, but can’t deny him that. Closest thing the tour has to ‘must see TV’. 

Oh sure it is impressive to see, and he's got non golfers talking, I've mentioned this before people at church have read/heard and asked me what I thought. He's not my cup of tea at all, just been my experiences with him.

On 3/17/2021 at 7:24 AM, oikos1 said:

"no bad shot is ever his fault"

Seems this may be a trait of better players.  Nicklaus will tell you he never missed a three foot putt and here's Elk telling a story of Nicklaus "never blaming himself.

https://www.secretgolf.com/videos/vintage-vault/mental-game/mental-game--steve-elkington/nicklaus-never-blamed-himself-

Here's Dave Stockton on Gary Player:  "As we're walking off the 17th tee, Gary says, "Laddie, maybe you didn't see it, but I got a horrible break on that bunker shot." I say, "Yeah, Gary? What happened?" He says, "There was a rock this big directly behind my ball." And he forms a circle with his hands to illustrate a rock as big as your fist. Well, I was standing as close to Gary when he hit that shot as I'm sitting to you now, and believe me, there was no rock. Gary was just making it up. I was speechless.

Later, it dawned on me that he absolutely has the right approach to self-talk in golf: Never blame yourself. Tour pros realize it, and it's why they tamp down imaginary spike marks after missing short putts. Blaming outside agencies for a bad shot is much better for your frame of mind than telling yourself you're a lousy hack."

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/myshot_gd0609

When on the course, I don't know why you would want to blame yourself for anything and I would imagine, based on Bryson's thoroughness in other parts of his game, that he does quite a bit of "self-reflecting" after the round. 

That certainly could be the case, and I do remember that my shot in GD. But when you make it a point to make sure that tournament staff know how bad a certain area on the golf course is then there's a difference.

On 3/12/2021 at 3:57 PM, Obee said:

... I truly love to watch DeChambeau play the game. I so appreciate that he plays his own game, completely unafraid to do things differently in his quest to play the very best golf that he can play. I don't care for his personality (either on or off the course) much at all. He's whiny, ticky, and just too odd, even for an oddball like me! But I would much, much rather watch him play than DJ or Rory, for instance.

As for watching the pros, I'd say my top group to watch are:

• Tiger
  • BD
  • YJS:  Not at all a fan -- just like the way he plays the game. Always interesting to watch his rounds
  • Berger: Jjust love that swing! -- All his!
  • Patrick Reed: Can't stand him, but love to watch him play the game -- other than massive length, such a complete player

Agree with this, but would add Dustin Johnson, and Justin Thomas, 

• Like 1

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

My favorite golfers to watch are definitely Reed, Dechambeau, Bubba, DJ, Simpson, Mcilroy, and really any of the guys who do things you don’t really see amateurs doing. From crazy lines with the driver to ridiculous saves with their short game or “unorthodox” mechanics.

My favorite golfer is Rickie Fowler and always cheer for him but from a golf standpoint looking for guys who pull off mind blowing shots.

Edited by Teekman

Ping G430 LST 10.5* GD AD-DI 8X

Taylormade Sim Ti 15* UST Lin-Q 8F5

PXG 0311X HZRDUS 105 TX

Ping Blueprint S 4-5 KBS Tour V 120X

Ping Blueprint T 6-PW KBS Tour V 120X

Titleist SM10 52F/56F/60T KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S
Taylormade Spyder Aluminum Face