I hate to admit this, but ....

Obee

3 hours ago, mosesgolf said:

For the most part I agree with your statement on people you like to watch.  Other than Patrick Reed I like the way YJS and BD conduct and carry themselves.  Why is a player's commentary or assessment of their game/shot a whine?  I'd also throw in Colin Morikawa in there.  Stone cold killer imo.  

Yeah, Morikawa is definitely on my list of up and comers I like to watch.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

3 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Well written Obee! I concur with all of it. BD is putting his heart and soul-and body- into being the absolute best golfer he can be. Not all of them do that.

I would add Webb Simpson to the list. He looks like one of us(a bit of a funky move) and yet has one of the most efficient games on tour. 

I love Webb! Definitely on my short list. Also has just a stupid high "Golf IQ" as I call it.

Edited by Obee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jomatty said:

Dechambeau and Reed are two guys I enjoy watching but don’t like.  I certainly don’t put Bryson in the Reed camp of dislike but just not a big fan.  But both are interesting.  In Reed wasnt Reed he would have one of my favorite games.  Just so dirty around the green...

Yes! I could watch him hit pitch shots all day. Amazing vision, imagination, touch, and face control. Just crazy good.

• Like 1

Just now, Loki said:

DJ has a beautiful swing. There aren’t many things he does wrong. Idiosyncratic, my foot.

I love his swing. It is absolutely idiosyncratic.

It's funny, I don't really follow any particular golfer, I just want to see great golf. It was awesome watching Spieth and Jazz hitting HIO's at the tournament last week. I love seeing someone hit a shot into the woods, and having a tiny gap, and make it through that gap.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

11 hours ago, Obee said:

... I truly love to watch DeChambeau play the game. I so appreciate that he plays his own game, completely unafraid to do things differently in his quest to play the very best golf that he can play. I don't care for his personality (either on or off the course) much at all. He's whiny, ticky, and just too odd, even for an oddball like me! But I would much, much rather watch him play than DJ or Rory, for instance.

As for watching the pros, I'd say my top group to watch are:

• Tiger
  • BD
  • YJS:  Not at all a fan -- just like the way he plays the game. Always interesting to watch his rounds
  • Berger: Jjust love that swing! -- All his!
  • Patrick Reed: Can't stand him, but love to watch him play the game -- other than massive length, such a complete player

Any love for the swashbuckling Barn Rat, i.e. Kiradech Aphibarnrat?
(i'm guessing the guys with a relatively good matchplay-vs-strokeplay record eg Ryder Cup/Presidents Cup etc = also qualify as swashbuckling/aggressive style?)

• Like 1

I have no interest in watching Bryson.

If I could pick 4 players to watch it would be;

Bubba

Webb Simpson

Jordan Spieth

Adam Scott

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

Initials though they may be, having B A D on one's yardage book cover with the letters clearly visible outside the back pocket is a) a bit of a tongue-in-cheek warning to the world b) a bit of self-deprecating and self-affirming fun.

If Tiger Woods was the modern apex player - natural talent, homegrown concentration, giving absolutely nothing away to the media, then Bryson DeChambeau is aspiring to be the post-modern apex player - talent boosted by science (his own quirky brand and the exercise/nutrition kind) and an openness with the media and everyone else.  Unfortunately, he's already starting to hide his light under a bushel because the Tour and venues are preemptively hindering his approach (literally and figuratively).  But for now he's still willing to answer almost any question about his game, his equipment, etc.  Most pros are hesitant, even afraid, to go into detail about their swing and any proposed changes.  It may be because they fear upsetting the golf gods and becoming mechanical by being too analytical or because to admit a need for change is admit weakness to peers and competitors.  So they talk of vague things like open/closed, transition etc.  Putting woes and fixes are even more taboo even though new putters and new putting grips are visible to all.

But they (and other greats) have something in common:  preparation and determination.  Many people see Bryson in flat cap & trousers on Sunday.  They may not see Bryson in ball cap and shorts on the range, hour after hour, in the twilight, practicing relentlessly.

Edited by chillybilly
  • Like 4

DISCLAIMER these are my opinions formed through interactions with the players specifically or interactions with people who spend considerable time with a player. 

I don't root against a lot of players, but Bryson is one of them. I have met him twice (maybe three times?) every experience has been the absolute worst with him, talking to him is a step above jamming a clothes hanger in my ear. He's a child, constantly bemoaning course conditions (no bad shot is ever his fault). That bunker comment happens literally every week with him...he said the greens sucked at Winged Foot. 

Bubba is another one, I met Bubba once at the API but I knew his coaches in college and heard some stories. He is not this awww shucks good ole boy that everyone thinks he is. Now has he matured and come out of his anxiety ridden shell and learned to handle the spotlight, yeah absolutely he has. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BNGL said:

DISCLAIMER these are my opinions formed through interactions with the players specifically or interactions with people who spend considerable time with a player. 

I don't root against a lot of players, but Bryson is one of them. I have met him twice (maybe three times?) every experience has been the absolute worst with him, talking to him is a step above jamming a clothes hanger in my ear. He's a child, constantly bemoaning course conditions (no bad shot is ever his fault). That bunker comment happens literally every week with him...he said the greens sucked at Winged Foot. 

Bubba is another one, I met Bubba once at the API but I knew his coaches in college and heard some stories. He is not this awww shucks good ole boy that everyone thinks he is. Now has he matured and come out of his anxiety ridden shell and learned to handle the spotlight, yeah absolutely he has. 

100%. 

And he did it again today. Complained about a bunker shot. He's just a whiny child.

But I still like to watch him play. Can't take my eyes off of him when he is about to hit a shot -- of any kind. 

Edited by Obee
  • Like 1

I have to agree with the sentiment expressed by a lot of previous posts above, I don’t care for the BAD personality, but I do like watching him play. There are a bunch of players I don’t care for their personalities, ala Reed and Bubba, but at least they keep the game interesting. They show some emotion and reactions, but it keeps the coverage interesting. I think the line for me is when players come off as whiny and privileged that is affecting today’s Tour coverage.  Thomas epitomizes what’s wrong with today’s Tour. He comes off as privileged and whiny, but doesn’t have the charisma or personality to at least keep things interesting. 

I kind of view the tour in 3 camps. The eccentrics, that are interesting to watch, the gracious, more genuine players, that are robotic but identifiable, Scott, Westwood, YJS, Morikawa, and Rickie, and then the players who are talented but have less charisma / personality and emotional intelligence than a child at thanksgiving dinner. It’s this third group that makes me concerned about the future of the tour. These players need to realize that they’re playing a game for a living and that they’re paid entertainers. 

To your last point ....

Unless you are saving lives in the operating room, aren't we all! pretty much "playing a game for a living" and paid to entertain something ?

Very few of these guys have warm, sharing personalities with the public. ( while at their job.)

A singular focus is usually required to be among the 1% in all Pro sports it seems.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ghostwedge said:

To your last point ....

Unless you are saving lives in the operating room, aren't we all! pretty much "playing a game for a living" and paid to entertain something ?

Very few of these guys have warm, sharing personalities with the public. ( while at their job.)

A singular focus is usually required to be among the 1% in all Pro sports it seems.

This ^^^^

I completely understand the need for many of them to be exactly as they are in order to compete in their own way at their own very best. It is a crazy fine line they walk.

In my own (not very good, amateur golf) life, my best golf only started to come when I completely, and utterly started to play the game in my own way and completely for me. Not to impress anyone. Not to follow convention. ONLY to play my best golf.

And that's not to say that there can't be growth or change in what that is over the years, but that always has to be the goal at any given time: to play one's best in one's own way.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ghostwedge said:

To your last point ....

No, we’re not in entertainment. Now, I’m not sure if your day job is putting on shows in Vegas, which, if so, fair point, however, my thought is that unless your job is televised, I wouldn’t say our professions are rooted in entertainment. And, that goes for professions outside of working in a medical setting. Now, perhaps if you’re in sales, sure your personality matters, but otherwise, this argument doesn’t carry muster.

Sure to excel in a professional sport, you need laser focus, but I’m not following how this prevents a player from being gracious, charismatic, or displaying natural human qualities. There are plenty of greats that are able to balance these two aspect, and not only does it make them more compelling figures, but it also pads their pockets, e.g. Palmer, Nicklaus, Mickelson. I’ve got no problem that a lot of modern players, like Thomas, who don’t understand this duality, I just won’t watch them or the telecast if they’re in the lead, but at the root of it, it always affects their marketability, and for that, I’d think they’d express a little more interest. 

• Like 1

It struck me.....as I read the post from Obee about Bryson whining about the bunker.....

I have noticed over the years some players never hit a bad shot. Jack just “conveniently” seemed to immediately forget about bad shots. Still proclaims things like never three putted or missed a shorty when it mattered.
   Others don’t forget but it just wasn’t their fault. Gust of wind from the gods like Roy McAvoy or bad bunker sand like Bryson. Others stamp their putter on the green after every missed putt to blame an invisible pitch mark.

Then there are players, I think Tiger falls into this category, that get p!ssed at a bad shot but completely forget it when it’s time to play the next shot.  I fall into that category as well except sometimes I forget to let it go lol.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Classic DeChambeau on 4th hole today:

Tops a 3-wood off the tee and hits in the water about 100 yards in front of the tee. Stares at the ground like the ground did it.

Drops on fairway hits his 3rd 45° right into the woods and stares at the club and rubs his finger over the iron head like the club did it.

Edited by Soloman1
  • Like 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

On 3/13/2021 at 3:59 PM, BNGL said:

Stop trying to damage his brand! lol

• Haha 1

I enjoy watching golf characters.  Whether it be swing weirdness, experimental (with emphasis on mental), controversy on or off the course, and even a hint of rule bending.  If you are not a character then I'll only find you interesting when you can light up the course with a 62 or better or winning multiple majors.

Unfortunately, the tour has 100 players every week who are so boring.  This is how you know there is way too much money in golf. There are 100 guys with tour cards making really good money who are not the least bit entertaining by any stretch of the imagination. They literally are being paid a lot to make cuts but haven't sniffed the first page of a leaderboard for more than 5 minutes.  And when one of them by some kind of miracle are near the lead on Sunday they go ultra conservative and settle for that 4th place check.

Edited by CasualLie
  • Like 2

On 3/14/2021 at 12:41 PM, Soloman1 said:

Classic DeChambeau on 4th hole today:

Tops a 3-wood off the tee and hits in the water about 100 yards in front of the tee. Stares at the ground like the ground did it.

Drops on fairway hits his 3rd 45° right into the woods and stares at the club and rubs his finger over the iron head like the club did it.

I see what you are saying, but I guess he actually did crack the face of his 4 iron on his 3rd shot that went 45 degrees to the right.

On 3/12/2021 at 12:57 PM, Obee said:

... I truly love to watch DeChambeau play the game. I so appreciate that he plays his own game, completely unafraid to do things differently in his quest to play the very best golf that he can play. I don't care for his personality (either on or off the course) much at all. He's whiny, ticky, and just too odd, even for an oddball like me! But I would much, much rather watch him play than DJ or Rory, for instance.

• Tiger
  • BD
  • YJS:  Not at all a fan -- just like the way he plays the game. Always interesting to watch his rounds
  • Patrick Reed: Can't stand him, but love to watch him play the game -- other than massive length, such a complete player

Yep, I agree. DeChambeau isn't boring for sure. I like that he just does his own thing and is unapologetic about it. Doesn't really care what anybody else is doing or thinking. Cookie-cut robots are not very interesting to watch on TV. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 3:57 PM, Obee said:

• Tiger
  • BD

I almost want to turn off the TV when Dechambeau is on.. it that bad for me. There is just something about him that I truly dislike. I'm not a fan of how he approaches the game and almost route for him to spray it all over the course. 

Btw I'm not cool enough to know who BD is or YJS??? 

On 3/13/2021 at 9:59 AM, BNGL said:

"no bad shot is ever his fault"

Seems this may be a trait of better players.  Nicklaus will tell you he never missed a three foot putt and here's Elk telling a story of Nicklaus "never blaming himself.

https://www.secretgolf.com/videos/vintage-vault/mental-game/mental-game--steve-elkington/nicklaus-never-blamed-himself-

Here's Dave Stockton on Gary Player:  "As we're walking off the 17th tee, Gary says, "Laddie, maybe you didn't see it, but I got a horrible break on that bunker shot." I say, "Yeah, Gary? What happened?" He says, "There was a rock this big directly behind my ball." And he forms a circle with his hands to illustrate a rock as big as your fist. Well, I was standing as close to Gary when he hit that shot as I'm sitting to you now, and believe me, there was no rock. Gary was just making it up. I was speechless.

Later, it dawned on me that he absolutely has the right approach to self-talk in golf: Never blame yourself. Tour pros realize it, and it's why they tamp down imaginary spike marks after missing short putts. Blaming outside agencies for a bad shot is much better for your frame of mind than telling yourself you're a lousy hack."

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/myshot_gd0609

When on the course, I don't know why you would want to blame yourself for anything and I would imagine, based on Bryson's thoroughness in other parts of his game, that he does quite a bit of "self-reflecting" after the round. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

I almost want to turn off the TV when Dechambeau is on.. it that bad for me. There is just something about him that I truly dislike. I'm not a fan of how he approaches the game and almost route for him to spray it all over the course. 

Btw I'm not cool enough to know who BD is or YJS??? 

Bryson DeChambeau and Young Jordan Spieth.