2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Is there a consensus on wedges?

Swingthoughts

Wilson Harmonized...or Vokey. Maybe Jaws or it could be Hi-Toe. An old Founders or 588. 

No! No consensus! 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

I used Vokey for probably 10 years.  I have tons of them. I used them because I like the shape and I mistakenly thought they were the best because it seems like most of the pros use them.  For some reason, I bought a Callaway wedge on a whim and now I'm 100% Callaway.  The Vokeys feel very, very hard.  The Callaways feel much better to me. Also, for me the Callaways move through the turf way better.  No more chunking.  My wedge game is much improved.  

• Like 1

For me:

Rusty + heavy + sandpaper grips = take my money. 

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

On 4/13/2021 at 7:47 PM, ChipNRun said:

It's largely a matter of touch and feel on wedges. I prefer Callaway wedges over Vokey because the Vokeys feel "strange."

Vokeys feel shaft heavy but head light to me. Despite the personal view, I have the greatest respect for Vokey for leading the way with a wide range of wedge options in loft and grind. Be aware that at a major golf expo I had almost an hour in Vokeyland. It was lunch time, and I was one of the few people hitting the then-new SM6 wedges.

But then the Callaway rep made a special visit to our club three months later. I could tell after 15 minutes that I wanted to play Callaway. Again, it's personal preference. Some players just love Vokey wedges, and work magic tricks with them on course. Alas, I channel Callaway magic (sometimes), not Vokey magic.

Thanks for the feedback.  For me, the Callaways 'felt' light but to be fair, I hit 10 shots in a golf galaxy net.  I would love to find a place where I can demo them and have them interact with the turf.   I need to make it a priority (and I am bad at that).

My consensus...all wedges need lead tape 😁

A62C1955-2B11-414E-8F2C-3F420FB6DE5D.jpeg

Edited by mogc60

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

I know these are not readily available to try but don't sleep on the PXG 0311 forged wedges. I mainly used Vokey the last 4-5 years getting new ones each year. This year after trying all the wedges I was going to actually settle on the Cleveland RTX ZIPCORE which I found spin and feel to be better than the Vokey. Before buying them I saw a couple videos online about the 0311 forged wedges, (not PXG own videos).

So a golf simulator place near me is a fitter and has PXG clubs there to try. I tested other wedges on a trackman here and at club champion.

The PXG 0311 forged

1. The forged feel was very pleasing.

2. These spun more than Vokey and all other wedges for me and my swing. PXG about 11,500, Vokey 10,000 on full shots

3. What I liked most was the feel across the face as high toe/face hits were not to penalizing. I like the way PXG moved more weight toward the toe to account for this. It does actually work

4. 1/2 to 3/4 shots is where these showed off and they generated a little more spin on these 1/2 shots allowing me to control the ball more on the under 60-75 yard shots

So I know these are not readily available to try most areas, but I think there are under the radar a little as far as wedges. Also the price sabot $199-$245 depending on shaft choice etc.

- Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke

- 3 Wood: Callaway Ai SMoke

- 17deg Hybrid: Ping G425 w/ OBAN Kiyoshi White

- 21deg Hybrid: Tour Edge C723 w/ OBAN Kiyoshi Purple

- Irons: Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-AW w/ Accra iSteel Shafts

- Wedges: Vokey SM9 54 & 58deg w/ Accra iSteel Wedge Shafts

- Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 (2022)

- Ball: Taylormade TP5

For the last decade I've played Cleveland players wedges. CG14 replaced by Zipcores last year. My wedge game is best described as adequate on a good day and poor on a bad day. Throwaway the occasional hero round of course. All of those descriptions in relation to my mid HCP.

Then, 1 of the course shops had a clearance sale on CBX2 so I picked up a 52 to try. This thing has been amazing and my go to chip, pitch, and < 90 club. It opens and closes well and most importantly doesn't punish mishits as severely.

I've tried other cb wedges through the years and still have a couple others. None have come even close to the players wedge experience. But the CBX2 seems to have both the forgiveness of CB and versatility of blade. 

Edited by sdiver68

Your right about jaws wedges being lighter... they are compared to years past and other company's... i personally like light but not too light. Their light is just about right to me. Great wedges the jaws. I personally love callaway wedges. They are generally easy to understand for grinds, bounces and use.

On 4/14/2021 at 2:01 PM, TourSpoon said:

Wilson Harmonized...or Vokey. Maybe Jaws or it could be Hi-Toe. An old Founders or 588. 

No! No consensus! 

Ok, my real answer is to get fit. I finally did this at a green grass Vokey dealer. While I had narrowed it down, the fitting process removed the doubt. I fit easily into the 54S and probably could have gone 58M, but the fitting process had me between the S and the D. I went with the S and had the 54 flattened half a degree of the irons and the 58 a full degree (4 months later). I have played Cleveland 588, Vokey Spin Milled, but never the Cally. I have no doubt I could find a wedge from any major manufacturer and play well, but we all have bias and preferences. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

As nearly everyone has said, wedges are very personal.  It also depends on the strength of your short game.  Personally I think a lot of golfers with average short games can really benefit from a CBX2 wedge. They provide a lot of the playability of blade style wedges, but are designed to be very friendly to use.

• Like 1

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

Just like you said, it all comes down to personal likes and dislikes. Some like heavy versus light, some like different grinds on the wedges. There is really a feeling out to see which one works for you. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

The consensus is find what works for you and play it. Wedges are very personal. I like my wedges like I like my ladies. Local, cheap, and easy to hit. Or something like that.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I'll probably get ripped for this, but I went and ordered a set of Bombtech wedges back in January. Just wanted to see if they were usable. I re-gripped and re-weighted them and they are playing pretty stinkin' good for the moment!! Pretty nice getting three wedges for the price of one! Don't know how long they will last, but for that price, I can replace them any time I need to.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

On 4/13/2021 at 2:10 PM, Swingthoughts said:

I am in the market for new wedges.  I know all club decisions are personal and involve a number of variables.  I tested Volkey, Ping, Taylor made and Callaway last week.   Was I wrong in 'feeling' that the Callaway Jaws 60 and 56 degree wedges feel/play lighter?   Is there any consensus on wedges these days as to which are the best?  Is there a #1 lob/sand wedge on tour?  Any feedback is appreciated.

Yes, every player got together and came to the unanimous decision that volkey is officially the best wedge. Other manufacturers have all agreed to stop wedge production since that decision.  They are simply selling old stock at this point.

Lol, no, there's no consensus on wedges.  It's what looks and works best for you, and that's it.  Every manufacturer makes solid products (unless you're watching a golf tv infomercial)

No consensus .. nada.  Wedges are like cars, choice and setup depend on your purpose and skill.

I play my Vokey LW-58' at E0 and Vokey SW-52' at D6 swing weight.  PW, SW and LW are 36" length

The rest of my irons 2-9i are D1-D2, PW is D3/D4

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

1 hour ago, Ri_Redneck said:

I'll probably get ripped for this, but I went and ordered a set of Bombtech wedges back in January. Just wanted to see if they were usable. I re-gripped and re-weighted them and they are playing pretty stinkin' good for the moment!! Pretty nice getting three wedges for the price of one! Don't know how long they will last, but for that price, I can replace them any time I need to.

BT

Who cares, it's what works for you and that's the point. I still play solus wedges because I love the sole. I could give a rats a$& what anyone thinks about them, they work great for me. 

• Haha 1

On 4/13/2021 at 8:25 PM, srksi said:

Mizzy makes the best wedges.  

You must be one of those people who think having a forged wedge is more important than things that actually matter.  

• Confused 2

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

If you are undecided on grinds, go with a higher bounce SW and a lower bounce LW.  Options are good.  

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Experiment with different grinds and bounces that work best for the conditions you normally play. Also test wedges on real grass and turf not synthetic mats. 

Ping G430 Max 10K w Alta 55

Ping G430 5 wood w PD-70

Ping G425 7 wood w Slay 55

Ping G430 9 wood w Speeder EVO6

Ping G430 6 Hybrid w PX Red Smoke
Srixon ZX5 6-PW w Recoil 660

Vokey SM8 50.12 F Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey SM10 56.12 D Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey Wedgeworks 60.08 K Grind w Recoil 95

Odyssey Jailbird

I'm certain someone must have said this - No, there is no consensus. It's what fits you and your swing and game.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

21 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

You must be one of those people who think having a forged wedge is more important than things that actually matter.  

That's a bias remark if I have ever seen one.  What you think matters in a wedge maybe doesn't matter to others or me; like bounce, I don't need it or want it.

I played forged wedges till 2016 when I decided to try SM6 Vokey.  Contrary to what people want to believe, my ProV balls comes off the face of Vokey LW fractionally hotter than the feel of the same ball off Miura LW.   The same is true with Callaway wedges having hot faces. 

Whether people can feel the difference at impact is another discussion, like can they feel they missed the dime size sweet spot by half on the club face.  I refer to it as attention to details.  But there are plenty of people that like the hot feeling. 

NOT all forged heads are created equal, some are more densely forged like Miura, than others.  It's those high-end forgings that FEEL better than Vokey.  Just sayin...

• Like 1
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

38 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

NOT all forged heads are created equal, some are more densely forged like Miura, than others.  It's those high-end forgings that FEEL   SOUND better than Vokey.  Just sayin...

Fixed that for ya...and actually it's the softness and denseness of the metal, not the actual process that makes most of the difference.  But yes loft, shape, grind, camber, lie, offset, grooves, surface texture, shaft, grip even color and plating options have more impact than whether it's forged or cast.  

Edited by dlygrisse

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

15 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

Fixed that for ya...and actually it's the softness and denseness of the metal, not the actual process that makes most of the difference.  But yes loft, shape, grind, camber, lie, offset, grooves, surface texture, shaft, grip even color and plating options have more impact than whether it's forged or cast.  

We disagree on all aspects.

• Thanks 1
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

6 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

We disagree on all aspects.

Yes we do  

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 12:03 PM, dlygrisse said:

Yes we do  

Because you believe in sound - you can't tell how your ball impacts the face of your game improvement irons.

• T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey