PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

11 hours ago, BigMack said:

It seems that a lot of the pros are carrying 5-woods in the bag instead of 3-woods. I am seriously considering replacing my Cobra F9 3-wood with a 5-wood. I am looking to get into a slightly smaller head as I find the 3-wood to be cumbersome when hitting off of the deck. Has anyone dropped down to a hot 5-wood at 16.5 or 17 degrees? Are your distances similar to your outgoing 3-wood or is there still quite a gap? Currently looking at pxg for the ultimate in low spin 5-wood to maintain distance.

So I am someone who dropped the 3 wood for a 5wood. I dropped my ping g410 3w after it cracked for a callaway epic flash sz 5 wood.

I have played with a 3 wood most of my life and as someone who has struggled with the driver I have used it a ton off the tee. The biggest issue I have had with 3 woods is I could never consistently get enough launch off the deck or out of the rough. I have good swing speed and even though I got good launch off the tee, couldn't get consistent playable launch off the deck and would hit alot of low hooks and slices. I also never felt like I could control it. I was mostly swinging and praying. 

Let me tell you, it's been a game changer using a 5 wood.

It's much easier to hit from every lie, off the deck, off the tee, rough, the ball just wants to pop out. Additionally I have more options. Due to the extra launch, I can choke down and swing easy to take some distance off or I can bear down and smash it.  The first time I tried it out, I had 245 into a green on a par 5, and I hit a gorgeous high shot into the green that actually 1 hopped, stopped, and trickled out about 10ft. Any time I had hit a quality 3 wood, it would always come in too hot and end up at the back of the green. Knowing I could go after greens on par  5s and actually hold them was huge for confidence. 

As far as distance, I found I hit my 5 wood maybe 10-15 yards shorter than a 3 wood 260 carry vs 245-250 carry. This made very little difference to my game as with the 3 wood, I would typically hit poor shots, being able to consistently produce solid contact and playable loved shots was worth giving up 10-15 yards.

Overall it's just been more playable for me and more versatile. 3 wood was more a tee club I could bash up by the green occasionally and the 5 wood allows me to actually attack the green on par 5s and still hit solid shots off the tee on par 4s. 

Edited by Flip4000
  • Like 3

Most guys on tour play with open faced woods.  It makes sense to go to 5 metal and crank that face open 1+ degrees.  I still like the traditional 3 metal, but mine is cranked open 2 degrees with a mid launch shaft.  I play 2 different shots with it.  One is stock and more shallow and the other is more steep, think Sergio/Tiger, where I hit down on it slightly and create a tiny divot to create more backspin on greens that require all carry and drop and stop.    

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

9 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

4 wood, 7 wood, life is good. 

IMO, though I don't play it, 4W 7W 4H may be the most versatile, easiest to hit, best gapping top setup.

I split the difference right now with a 5W (and 4H) that's not going anywhere because of versatility.  It can adjust to 4W or 7W loft territory.  Easy to get up, long enough off tee or different lies, easy to work high, low, left, right, whatever.  3W is like a 2nd driver for me, so I'm just trying a 2nd driver - D1, D2, 5W.

To the OP distance question:  I don't need a FW off the turf all that often, but even swinging my 13.5° 3W at 110 mph off the turf is hit or miss for me, and only farther than my 5W on the best of strikes.  Off the tee that 3W is great, off the turf 5W is just better for me.

Edited by joostin

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

Depends on the course - I prefer using a 5 wd off the deck. Bagging a Mizuno STX 5 wd in the Motore F3 60. Impressive club

Ordered a 3 wood at 42.5 inches (don't like 43 inches for consistency off the deck).

Will use one or both depending on the course and conditions. 5 wd will always make the bag. Can bring it down to 17 to act like a 4 wd.

Will play with lofts when 3 wd arrives.

I had a TEE 4 and 5 wd combo that worked well - TEE 4 wd  (or now they label it as 3 wd at 16.5) is easy to elevate with the right shaft. But at 42.5 inches

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

4 minutes ago, SwingMan said:

Depends on the course - I prefer using a 5 wd off the deck. Bagging a Mizuno STX 5 wd in the Motore F3 60. Impressive club

Ordered a 3 wood at 42.5 inches (don't like 43 inches for consistency off the deck).

Will use one or both depending on the course and conditions. 5 wd will always make the bag. Can bring it down to 17 to act like a 4 wd.

Will play with lofts when 3 wd arrives.

I had a TEE 4 and 5 wd combo that worked well - TEE 4 wd  (or now they label it as 3 wd at 16.5) is easy to elevate with the right shaft. But at 42.5 inches

That new Mizuno 5 wood is a nice fairway metal. I like the look of it. And with 4 degrees of loft adjustability you can make it into a 4 wood or a 6 wood if you want.

I’m finally updating from my Cobra F8 7 wood, but not going to mess with it too much — I find the rails quite helpful for consistency so the Rad Speed 7 wood is the new one. Can hit those Cobra 7 woods off any lie, excellent out of the rough or even off hardpan, which I seem to encounter regularly!

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

It came down to gapping for me. I was hitting my previous 3W about 265 off the tee and wanted a smaller head for better results off the deck. I hit a modern 3W, Cobra F9 Tour, and it was going 280 at 15* loft. I didn’t want a 40 yard gap between fairway wood and hybrid, and I also didn’t want to reconfigure my long iron and hybrid setup, so I went with the 4/5W at 16* and it’s perfect. I also play it shorter than modern standards, slightly below 42”.

Edited by RolandofGilead
  • Like 1

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

3W| Titleist 980F 15* DG S300

5W| Titleist 975F 18.5* DG S300

3-P| MacGregor Muirfield 20th DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Ping Anser

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

I dropped the 3 and 5 woods years ago and replaced them with a 17* degree adjustable to 16 and 18 at 42.5" (aka 4 wood, strong 5 wood or a high launch 3 wood depending on the brand).  With the added loft and shorter shaft, it is more forgiving and launches higher producing better and consistent distance. 

TaylorMade Stealth HD Driver 10.5* 
Taylor Made Stealth 2 3HL Wood 16.5*
Callaway Epic Speed 7 Wood 21*
Callaway Epic Super 5 Hybrid 24*
Callaway Apex 21 Irons P-6 
Cleveland RTX ZipCore 48/10, 54/10 and 60/6 Wedges 
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

1 hour ago, nitram said:

Loft creep, like everything else in modern golf. I took a little time this morning to measure my old Wilson Staff fairway woods from the late 70's. The lofts and lengths are as follows:

2 wood:     Loft-14.2*    Length-42"

3wood       Loft-16.8*    Length-41.5"

4wood       Loft-19.0*    Length-41"

5wood       Loft-20.8*    Length-40"

So today, we may have more forgiving woods but the shaft lengths are a heckuva lot longer 

3 wd 41.5 to 43, even 43.25

5 wd 40  to 42.5 

• Like 1

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

17 hours ago, Golfdoctor said:

Also I have a three wood shaft in the 5 wood

So does the pro who works on my golf clubs. That's his solo FW.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Seems like trends come full circle eventually.  Tiger used to refer to the 5 wood as a “senior’s club”.  I don’t know if a 1 iron will ever return to use though.

Cobra Fly Z+
Bridgestone J33 3W, 5W Aldila NV 65
Wilson Staff D9 4-PW, TT Dynamic Gold R300

Wilson Harmonized 52*, 56*, 60*
Wilson Staff 8882

20 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

The Ping G4xx-series 5Ws come in at 17.5* as stock loft. These loft down nicely a degree to 4W.

And, let's shift from pros to average golfers. Several studies reveal that the average golfer can hit a 4W more reliably - and sometimes longer - than a 3W. The extra loft helps launch, and gives a bit more spin, which improves the carry distance of the average golfer. Those FWs that deliver the lower, boring distance shot of the ads only work for golfers with high clubhead speed.

On the other hand, for average golfers the Ping G4xx series 3 wood SFT starts @ 16 degrees with +1.5 available.  The Ping 425 MAX starts @ 14.5/+1.5 up to 16 degrees which closes the face a bit to help with the "average" fade/slice.

I'm a mid-HCP who chose 3W 425 MAX/+1.5 and hit my 410 Hybrid 19 instead of a 5W with it being more versatile from rough and for me at least easier to hit.

Edited by sdiver68

5 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

I hit 3 wood and i like hitting it. Im pretty good at it but i do miss hit it sometimes. Maybe 2 out of 10 kinda ratio. Just apart of golf to miss. Can someone explain heavenwood to me though? I was allways intrested but dont understand.

I don't get it either - big headed 20 degree lofted head at 43 inches. 5 wood is a better bargain with yourself.

I tried a Heavenwood when they first made another debut about 5 yr ago at 43.25 inches - I returned it. Shaft is too light and too long. Some like it - I don't. Just get a 5 wd.

• Like 2

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

This is quite the popular topic! So today, despite me talking all about 5 Woods I picked up a small headed adjustable 3-wood. For me, I can dial it down or loft it up when needed and the smaller face is more confidence inspiring than the jumbo 3-wood I used to have. I've paired it with the Hazardous smoke blue in stiff and it is a total bomber for me. Epic Flash can be had for a steal now.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

4 wood, 7 wood, life is good. 

Yup, it is. Rotating in a hybrid with the 7 wood depending on course and conditions. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

Tour pros use a 3w mostly for a club off the tee that they can more easily hit a draw with. 

if you have swing speed say under 105mph with driver then you likely hit 3W or 5W close to the same distance off the deck so it’s all about what you want the club for. Do you use it more off the tee or off the deck. 

After years of going back and forth between 3W/5W, mini drivers, strong 3W... I’ve landed on Driver, 3W lifted up to 16 (4 wood- 5W lofted down 1 would also work) and then 3hy (20 degree) and 4hy (24 degree). Perfect setup. 

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

7 hours ago, sdiver68 said:

On the other hand, for average golfers the Ping G4xx series 3 wood SFT starts @ 16 degrees with +1.5 available.  The Ping 425 MAX starts @ 14.5/ +1.5 up to 16 degrees which closes the face a bit to help with the "average" fade/slice.

This all depends on an individual's swing. I'm an average golfer, but the SFT delivers hook after hook for me. Also, lofting up tends to help close the clubface, which is the last thing I need.

If I play my draw with slightly open clubface, it stays a slight draw. If I try to loft up, too much left.

Quite a few "average" golfers fight a slice, but not all of us.

Edited by ChipNRun
Remove unwanted image.
  • Like 2

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Well 3 & 5 woods answer fundamentally different questions for shorter and longer hitters, don’t they? For someone that rarely or never encounters a hole where the green can’t, in theory, be reached in two, a 3 wood is for tee shots where driver is too much, and for the very longest of par 5s.  The five wood is probably more for long shots out of the rough and approach shots where the 3/4 iron isn’t quite enough, or very very long par 3s.

For a shorter hitter, often times the three wood is for advancing the ball as far down the fairway on par fives as they can, and they probably aren’t needing to worry about trouble short of the green. 5 wood fills a gap that’s probably a common shot, even on longer par 3s.

• Like 1