2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Billy Mayfair diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum

bladehunter

13 minutes ago, dan777 said:

Stellar addition to a topic that affects so many people and/or their loved ones

Both of my nephews are autistic and I love them both very much but I don't tell that to the world cause it's none of their business.

• Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

2 hours ago, stingerfade said:

I understand there are degrees but my nephew has autism and there’s no way he could golf but he is a very extreme case as well 

The case with your nephew is obviously worlds apart from Billy Mayfair or Bubba Watson who would just be “weird” in any other era. I’m not sure that means one way or another is better. 

14 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Saw this article and immediately said “ hmm.  That explains a lot “.  

I don’t have time to comment more at the moment. But will later. 

here’s link - https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/former-pga-tour-golfer-billy-mayfair-autism-diagnosis-champions-tour-222528443.html

It does explain a lot.

But disregarding his reputation, I wish him the best with dealing with it.

The man survived cancer and went through a difficult divorce as well.

Edited by iBanesto
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wait has Bubba ever come out and said he's on the spectrum? I haven't seen that and I feel like people keep repeating it like it's fact. Just because you perceive someone to be a little different in their thinking or methods doesn't mean they are in the autism spectrum. If he has publicly come out and talked about it then 100% my bad. 

• Like 1

He wants to reveal it, that's up to him and sounds like he feels it may provide some information that explains past behavior in certain circumstances (although the claim he was bullied in the one rules incident mentioned is inappropriate given neither he or the Tour knew of his condition). 

As for trying to judge who else anywhere playing golf on Tour has autism or anything else just by looking at them - not a game worth playing, IMO.

• Like 4

I grew up with mild functioning Autistic brother (he passed away when he was 12 ... I was 16)

He could say words but they had no real meaning and he could answer yes or no question though once again we are unsure if he knew what we were asking him. Motor Skills were alright (he couldn't really write, he could certainly read and use a computer very well). His Social Skills were very hit or miss.

Autism affects everyone child & adult differently 

1 in 54 children have Autism 

• Like 2

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

When I was a resident, autism had pretty strict criteria for diagnosis.  By those standards there is no way Mayfair or Watson would ever be diagnosed with anything related to autism.  The switch to an autism spectrum, has meant that many more people are considered to have features of autism.  I've know many practicing physicians who would be considered on the spectrum.  

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, NevinW said:

When I was a resident, autism had pretty strict criteria for diagnosis.  By those standards there is no way Mayfair or Watson would ever be diagnosed with anything related to autism.  The switch to an autism spectrum, has meant that many more people are considered to have features of autism.  I've know many practicing physicians who would be considered on the spectrum.  

What is the medical reasoning for going from strict criteria for a diagnosis to a broad spectrum based criteria for some level of affect? Is autism categorized as a mental health disorder?

4 hours ago, pinhigh27 said:

Wait has Bubba ever come out and said he's on the spectrum? I haven't seen that and I feel like people keep repeating it like it's fact. Just because you perceive someone to be a little different in their thinking or methods doesn't mean they are in the autism spectrum. If he has publicly come out and talked about it then 100% my bad. 

Yep.  Bubba hasn’t said so at all.  So speculation isn’t really going to bare fruit.  In my opinion the other two reported unnamed tour guys could easily be total shockers as well.  I’m going to try to edit the title as well to say “autism spectrum “ instead since I now see that he article i quoted misrepresented the diagnosis.  I Swanee. You cannot believe anything reported these days. 

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• bladehunter changed the title to Billy Mayfair diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum

Bigger problems... did someone just say that?? 

To get a glimpse into how high-functioning autism and unusually high IQ contributes to developing what are thought to be incredibly diverse skills and business acumen, watch Ben Affleck in "The Accountant."  He skillfully depicts a high-functioning autistic, from child to man, that develops exceptionally diverse skills that you wouldn't think possible, which I am familiar with.  It all depends on how the brain works.

PS, NO, Bubba has NOT addressed his exact condition.  My guess is for reasons that many won't or are not smart enough to get their head around.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

4 hours ago, getitdaily said:

What is the medical reasoning for going from strict criteria for a diagnosis to a broad spectrum based criteria for some level of affect? Is autism categorized as a mental health disorder?

There is some controversy regarding the change that came about in DSM-5 that eliminated aspergers and others into a sliding scale diagnosis of asd.

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

34 minutes ago, Hankshank said:

Good ol’ Moe... Being on that spectrum Isn’t altogether bad for your golf. And as have been said, comes in different flavors. Annika did not love interviews. Definitely not zero on that spectrum. 

This is what I am curious about - no one would ever see, interact with or observe Annika and think autism. Not in the least. But here we have “did not love interviews” as a qualifying someone for autism “spectrum”. How is this actually determined medically?  Does anyone know?  This statement is a little dangerous for the lack of a better word - someone who doesn’t like public speaking is autistic?  What if they squeeze the toothpaste from the middle?  TP under and not over?  Prefer fries when onion rings is a choice?  Dips pizza in ranch? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pinhigh27 said:

Bubba and his wife say he is attention deficit. I don’t know if he was diagnosed by a professional. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

To get a glimpse into how high-functioning autism and unusually high IQ contributes to developing what are thought to be incredibly diverse skills and business acumen, watch Ben Affleck in "The Accountant."  He skillfully depicts a high-functioning autistic, from child to man, that develops exceptionally diverse skills that you wouldn't think possible, which I am familiar with.  It all depends on how the brain works.

PS, NO, Bubba has NOT addressed his exact condition.  My guess is for reasons that many won't or are not smart enough to get their head around.

Thank you.  “ bigger problems “ indeed. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

48 minutes ago, golfandfishing said:

This is what I am curious about - no one would ever see, interact with or observe Annika and think autism. Not in the least. But here we have “did not love interviews” as a qualifying someone for autism “spectrum”. How is this actually determined medically?  Does anyone know?  This statement is a little dangerous for the lack of a better word - someone who doesn’t like public speaking is autistic?  What if they squeeze the toothpaste from the middle?  TP under and not over?  Prefer fries when onion rings is a choice?  Dips pizza in ranch? 

Yep.  It’s where the line is that interests me most. 

7 hours ago, NevinW said:

This rings true to me.  Being connected to several high level physicians myself , I can absolutely see it in one , and he’s the brightest of the bunch , IF ......, huge IF ...., you can keep him on task.  If I told you some stories on him , you’d be shocked to know how successful of a surgeon he is.  Lol.  He’s not at all irresponsible, or negligent.  But it takes a well oiled team to “ mother “ him  in the right direction every day.  It’s kind of hard to describe how awkward this guy is out side of an  OR. And how brilliant he is inside one.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, golfandfishing said:

Google it there is a plethora of information about it. There are many criteria for determining if someone is on the spectrum. Just like about anything in life there is no simple binary answer. 

1 hour ago, Strategery said:

Your comment seems a bit off.

I’m not an expert but go ahead and elaborate. So far in this thread we’ve added Annika Sorenstam, Tiger Woods, Keegan Bradley, Patrick Cantlay Bubba Watson and now Bryson DeChambeau to the lineup because they have a personality trait (ok more than 1 for Bubba but still) that is a hair “off”.  

Edited by golfandfishing
Added more players named in the thread.
  • Like 1

I'm not a doctor or anything close, and I haven't given a second to actually look into what may define someone as  autistic...bit if Bryson isn't I'd be shocked...and that's ok.

Add Bryson to the list of other players mentioned that people think might be and none of them are out and out cheats like Billy Mayfair..

I'm guessing cheating isn't an autistic trait.

Don't give this lifelong cheat of the game we love a break because he's butt hurt that everyone hates him.

Edited by OutBackHack

9 hours ago, golfandfishing said:

Working as a manager for computer programmers I’ve seen my share of introvert behaviour, and not being a social chittychat lover myself, I talked with a psychologist who showed me the diagnosis for Aspergers. One part is about behaviors, like having repeatable movements, need of routines and what not, the other part is about one’s feelings in social settings.

We talked a little and I think a good first indicator - going to a party or a dinner with friends - sitting together, laughing and socializing - will that give you energy or will it drain energy from you? Regardless of how “well you do perform”

Then there are like a million variations of behaviors and grades. People are complex.

I see no problems at all for a player having an introvert behavior in terms of competing in a professional tournament . You will probably never get an army like Arnie’s, who probably was on the extrovert side of personality types. And you will not love making funny videos with witty comments. But still be interesting for spectators and sponsors. Up to a point.

i just love those old Moe clinics on yt ... only man alive... feeling of greatness... but his personality type did for sure cause him problems.

You need to be able to present yourself as a decent person with respect for the ways of the community or collection of people you are in. The point, I would say, is when you no longer can fulfil that. 

Breaking that point of respect can sure be done in many other ways than having an introvert personality. 

Edited by Hankshank
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Hankshank said:

Working as a manager for computer programmers I’ve seen my share of introvert behaviour, and not being a social chittychat lover myself, I talked with a psychologist who showed me the diagnosis for Aspergers. One part is about behaviors, like having repeatable movements, need of routines and what not, the other part is about one’s feelings in social settings.

We talked a little and I think a good first indicator - going to a party or a dinner with friends - sitting together, laughing and socializing - will that give you energy or will it drain energy from you? Regardless of how “well you do perform”

Then there are like a million variations of behaviors and grades. People are complex.

I see no problems at all for a player having an introvert behavior in terms of competing in a professional tournament . You will probably never get an army like Arnie’s, who probably was on the extrovert side of personality types. And you will not love making funny videos with witty comments. But still be interesting for spectators and sponsors. Up to a point.

i just love those old Moe clinics on yt ... only man alive... feeling of greatness... but his personality type did for sure cause him problems.

You need to be able to present yourself as a decent person with respect for the ways of the community or collection of people you are in. The point, I would say, is when you no longer can fulfil that. 

Breaking that point of respect can sure be done in many other ways than having an introvert personality. 

what?

what?

What was unclear? You asked for some medical definitions, the Asperger diagnose is probably as far as you’ll get. If you want to make autism spectrum in to some kind of freak show, sorry. 

Moe’s autism tendencies is documented on his own home page. 

So what do you mean ”what”?

19 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

You should start a thread on Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

47 minutes ago, Hankshank said:

What was unclear? You asked for some medical definitions, the Asperger diagnose is probably as far as you’ll get. If you want to make autism spectrum in to some kind of freak show, sorry. 

Moe’s autism tendencies is documented on his own home page. 

So what do you mean ”what”?

I don’t want to make it into a freak show in the least - you and others that are diagnosing anyone with the slightest quirk are the ones doing that.

Autism isn’t a joke, I know families struggling with children they can’t touch, that have never spoken to them and are searching for ways to help their children. Saying a guy who shuffles his feet to get comfortable putting or a woman who doesn’t like public speaking are “on the spectrum” is awful.  

I don’t want to make it into a freak show in the least - you and others that are diagnosing anyone with the slightest quirk are the ones doing that.

Autism isn’t a joke, I know families struggling with children they can’t touch, that have never spoken to them and are searching for ways to help their children. Saying a guy who shuffles his feet to get comfortable putting or a woman who doesn’t like public speaking are “on the spectrum” is awful.  

The problematic word is ”Spectrum”. Is introversion on the autistic spectrum? In a way, yes. Because even if it does not make you a Rain Man it definitely do hamper you. You will avoid the ”social” kind of contact (which for a professional golfer must be a part of the job)  But OK, since the word autism is kind of infected, no, Annika has nothing in her appearance that reminds one of what classically is connected with autism. Moe allegedly had some of that, though.

• Like 1