Brooks bryson

Rob G 89

22 hours ago, smturner1203 said:

Like the guy, like the enthusiasm, like the game, HATE the hats. I know it's the whole homage to Hogan or whatever, but there's no way he looks in the mirror in the morning and says to himself, "Oh yeah, this is the look." 

21 hours ago, dubbelbogey said:

Who thinks Bryson would be 10x more likeable if he just wore a regular ball cap?

I wouldn't sport the hat either, but that choice was really the beginning of Bryson building a personal brand that has become incredibly marketable. It pre-dates the bodybuilding and crazy equipment experimentation that he's known for now. The fact that you see young kids in the gallery wearing those hats pretty much says it all. 

There are only a few ways you can differentiate yourself from the horde of young dudes that make up the Tour. You can win a bunch, you can speak out a bunch, or you can look a little different. Going with a different look got Bryson noticed earlier than his play would have warranted. 

A good comparison would be Tommy Two Gloves, or Boo Weekly back when he swore he had to wear rain pants because his legs would break out in hives or whatever. Those guys got way more media attention than they probably earned with their play (though neither is any slouch). 

If you want to stretch it and poke the bear, Tiger's red/black on Sundays is not that different. We accept it now because he's probably the most inspiring player of all time, but I'm sure the likes of Curtis Strange and Jeff Maggert were probably thinking "WTF is it with this kid?" when he hit the Tour with that look. 

• Like 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

And FWIW there's a generous proportion of players on the Tour who think their gas smells like flowers and would prefer to spend none of their time dealing with fans, the press, pro-am partners or anyone else they don't deem worthy. A lot of people that we consider to be "the nice guys" are probably among these. Heck, the best players at your local country club think they deserve more than the average players do...I can only imagine what it's like when you get to the top of the heap. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

15 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I wouldn't sport the hat either, but that choice was really the beginning of Bryson building a personal brand that has become incredibly marketable. It pre-dates the bodybuilding and crazy equipment experimentation that he's known for now. The fact that you see young kids in the gallery wearing those hats pretty much says it all. 

There are only a few ways you can differentiate yourself from the horde of young dudes that make up the Tour. You can win a bunch, you can speak out a bunch, or you can look a little different. Going with a different look got Bryson noticed earlier than his play would have warranted. 

A good comparison would be Tommy Two Gloves, or Boo Weekly back when he swore he had to wear rain pants because his legs would break out in hives or whatever. Those guys got way more media attention than they probably earned with their play (though neither is any slouch). 

If you want to stretch it and poke the bear, Tiger's red/black on Sundays is not that different. We accept it now because he's probably the most inspiring player of all time, but I'm sure the likes of Curtis Strange and Jeff Maggert were probably thinking "WTF is it with this kid?" when he hit the Tour with that look. 

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the brand image and why he wears the hats at this point. It's just hard to take him seriously with that look. 

The other guys you mentioned had good reasons for wearing what they wore; with Bryson it just feels so forced. Say what you will about having a "look", but no one is going to remember it if the player doesn't have the game to back it up. Bryson 100% has the game, but I really don't think he gains anything with the hat. He probably loses fans for it if I had to guess. 

As for the kids, they'll wear anything. See: OSU orange everything. If he can fill a gallery of grown adults with those hats I'll agree that it's a good idea. 

2 minutes ago, smturner1203 said:

As for the kids, they'll wear anything. See: OSU orange everything. If he can fill a gallery of grown adults with those hats I'll agree that it's a good idea. 

Would Bryson's net worth be another form of proof you'd accept? 🙂

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

1 minute ago, me05501 said:

Would Bryson's net worth be another form of proof you'd accept? 🙂

Haha can't argue with success. But he got rich by winning a lot and becoming the poster child for Cobra. Not for wearing those awful hats. 

If they're so great and he wants to honor Hogan, why do you never see him wearing them outside of tourney rounds? 

3 minutes ago, smturner1203 said:

Haha can't argue with success. But he got rich by winning a lot and becoming the poster child for Cobra. Not for wearing those awful hats. 

If they're so great and he wants to honor Hogan, why do you never see him wearing them outside of tourney rounds? 

Idk man I usually wear my golf hats when I’m golfing and that’s it 

• Like 1

I think he's kind of got that thick neck/pinhead thing going and might actually look worse in a ball cap. 

At least it's not a giant bucket hat. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

23 hours ago, JakeW13 said:

I’m here for the Bryson hate. Not because I hate Bryson (love him) but because it’s entertaining to listen to all the cringe and jealous grown a** men in here get ruffled by his personality. By the way, if you ever listen to Bryson talk about the game, the dude absolutely loves golf and is a student of the game. If anything he’s got a child like curiosity about how he can be better. You’d think more people here would appreciate that. 

When you have two alpha males with egos the size of Texas who obviously feel threatened by each other's presence, this is what happens.  Some would call it childish or unbecoming.  I call it a lover's quarrel, lol.  Makes for great tv ratings. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

My wife says Brooks reminds her of me. I'll have to show her that clip and ask her to reevaluate. Unfortunately...I think I'm a lot like Bryson. Haha. 

I really struggle with Brooks' smack-talking, tough-guy persona. Love his game. Seems like a tortured soul. Bryson's too deep in his dome... Glad we have some garbage to post about here today...

15 minutes ago, McCann1 said:

I feel like you’re giving great points for claiming that style hat is his brand and he wears it at the most marketable time. During tournament rounds 

Dude all I'm saying is that the whole hat thing comes off as super forced. I don't disagree with any of the logic behind it, I just think they look stupid. That's it. 

• Like 2

It does look forced.

It's like if someone were to take on wearing plus four pants (ala Payne Stewart) as their regular attire.

But, players can certainly choose to wear whatever they want, and I think that's cool. Doesn't mean they don't open themselves up to questions and critique. That's part of the deal.

I'm sure there's a part of the dynamic here that just the fact that we're talking about it is a "good thing" in their eyes. You know - the whole any publicity is good publicity thing. (FWIW, I think that has always been a lazy, BS argument, but it persists.)

• Like 1

It's funny to me that Brooks catches so much grief for his attitude while it mirrors Tiger's in so many obvious ways. Tiger gets a pass for similar stuff 95% of the time. 

Tiger says he only cares about winning majors? Legend! 

Brooks says he only cares about winning majors? Prima donna!

Tiger is snippy and curt in interviews? Driven!

Brooks is snippy and curt in interviews? Spoiled!

I guess Tiger isn't known to beef with other players, but there was a long while where he just pretended they didn't exist which may be worse. 

• Like 2

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Try to imagine that video without any preconceived notions about either. That’s what I did and I LOVED Brooks’ response. It’s 2021. You don’t need spikes.  When I hear spikes I think what kind of d-bag wants to walk around with loud a** spikes marking up a beautifully manicured green.  And just because I can fix spike marks doesn’t mean I want to have to do it all day. 

20 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

Note (edit): i'm maybe being too hard on Bryson. I am a bit intrigued by him at least. I'm not sure if he's brilliant and we're all just not in on the joke, in an Andy Kauffman'esque way. I doubt it....but it's at least possible

I get the feeling Bryson is as real as it gets, he just walks a different path. All the crazy scientific stuff he does has to be time consuming, maybe even mentally draining. If it is all a joke, why keep it up. He's just a different breed.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, dubbelbogey said:

It does look forced.

It's like if someone were to take on wearing plus four pants (ala Payne Stewart) as their regular attire.

But, players can certainly choose to wear whatever they want, and I think that's cool. Doesn't mean they don't open themselves up to questions and critique. That's part of the deal.

I'm sure there's a part of the dynamic here that just the fact that we're talking about it is a "good thing" in their eyes. You know - the whole any publicity is good publicity thing. (FWIW, I think that has always been a lazy, BS argument, but it persists.)

It is for TV and marketing. I'm sure their clothing sponsors urge and push for them to wear certain things. How many guys do you see at the local clubs wearing pink or white pants? 😂

13 hours ago, jons1 said:

What kills me is this petty BS by this man child millennial type is taking away from the attention that Phil deserves as the oldest major winner in history, and one of only 4 golfers to span wins on the PGA Tour over 4 decades.  A career with so many close calls during an era of Tiger dominance.  I hope he wins the career grand slam but either way, super impressive.  

Don't worry, Phil is getting all the attention he needs and then some.

10 hours ago, mosesgolf said:

Looks like a great way to injure a shoulder.  Lame!!!!!!!!

Really -what the heck is he doing there?

5 hours ago, Big GG said:

Not gonna happen. The parties involved including myself won't be named. That's the problem these days. What goes on in the room or in this case on the course should stay there. The problems between players on tour should stay on tour. Not for the public. Same with all of the name calling and diversity garbage. Koepka himself starts this garbage with Bryson in the press. 

No one asked you to bring it up in the first place, but since you did...

14 minutes ago, me05501 said:

It's funny to me that Brooks catches so much grief for his attitude while it mirrors Tiger's in so many obvious ways. Tiger gets a pass for similar stuff 95% of the time. 

Tiger says he only cares about winning majors? Legend! 

Brooks says he only cares about winning majors? Prima donna!

Tiger is snippy and curt in interviews? Driven!

Brooks is snippy and curt in interviews? Spoiled!

I guess Tiger isn't known to beef with other players, but there was a long while where he just pretended they didn't exist which may be worse. 

What @bscinstnct said plus....

Was Tiger occasionally short with interviews? Absolutely, but he was also very engaging for many other interviews (and I'm no TW fanboy).  In the particular instance with Brooks being thrown off by Bryson, he was like a snowflake.  Guys were interviewed all week in that same spot with people passing behind them and yes some were wearing spikes.  But it derailed BK for some reason--- perhaps because of his disdain for Bryson which seems to be living deep in his head and Bryson may even be capitalizing on this to get under his skin.  Generally speaking Brooks comes off pretty much arrogant and doesn't want to be there for most interviews.  I could give him a pass since sports interviews are usually dumb and some guys are a bit shy etc.  But there's other compounding factors like the comments about DJ and now we have the whole thing with Bryson.  Then he's made some odd comments about not being a "golf nerd"... whatever that means and was kind of like a shot at his peers in general.  

Maybe he just has a weird personality. Maybe he's just a dumb. Maybe both. But seems he can't figure out why he doesn't get more respect.  Seems he can't figure out why he doesn't get more attention.  Might just be the brain of a scorned child inside a mans body. 

• Like 1

Eh, I guess maybe I've paid more attention to Tiger's ups AND downs over the last 25 years.

Before he mellowed out into the elder statesman role he acted very insular, selfish and entitled and there were plenty of stories about him treating the Tour's lesser names as if they didn't exist. He played a lot of rounds without speaking to his playing partners outside the first tee and 18th green handshakes. He might not have personally been rough on photogs and fans but empowered Stevie to do that for him. He didn't have or want many friends on Tour outside of O'Meara and of course we later learned what that was all about.

His overall attitude was cut throat and "me first." He viewed his fellow pros as conquests, not colleagues. This is indisputable. 

Once he had his struggles and got past his prime playing years, he softened up quite a bit and he has engaged in a massive image rehabilitation effort. That has clearly caused a lot of people to forget how he acted before. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

13 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Eh, I guess maybe I've paid more attention to Tiger's ups AND downs over the last 25 years.

Before he mellowed out into the elder statesman role he acted very insular, selfish and entitled and there were plenty of stories about him treating the Tour's lesser names as if they didn't exist. He played a lot of rounds without speaking to his playing partners outside the first tee and 18th green handshakes. He might not have personally been rough on photogs and fans but empowered Stevie to do that for him. He didn't have or want many friends on Tour outside of O'Meara and of course we later learned what that was all about.

His overall attitude was cut throat and "me first." He viewed his fellow pros as conquests, not colleagues. This is indisputable. 

Once he had his struggles and got past his prime playing years, he softened up quite a bit and he has engaged in a massive image rehabilitation effort. That has clearly caused a lot of people to forget how he acted before. 

Exactly.  Before karma bit him in the form of taking on a fire hydrant, he was quite the cactus.  He was a cash FN cow for IMG and they "took over" every tour event he played in and major expecting the world to cater to him.

But hey, he was young...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Jack didn’t talk either, here is Trevino, Jack had no use for small talk or being buddies with his competitors,

“But Jack wasn't much of a talker on the golf course, and off the course Jack made just cursory small talk to most players. He called everybody "pro." It would be, "How you doing, pro?" "Family good?" "That's great, have a nice round today." 

I don’t care about that. But I’ve never seen any golfer say anything negative about how TW treated them. 

Tiger had massive galleries, that’s not his fault. It was a zoo. Plus, between the media and who knows what kind of death threats, it’s good and expected he was insular. 

What do you mean by selfish and entitled exactly? We know that TW just showing up to sign autographs could result in mob scenes of crazy autograph seekers bowling over kids.

it’s no wonder he wanted no part of that.

He was flawed, not perfect, but he was literally a freak show out there. Nobody can deal with that perfectly. 

And I’ll assume you agree with me about TW vs Brooks in majors and winning at all events.

There’s really no Tiger and Brooks comparisons to equate their experiences resulting in or catalyzing their results or personas. 

BK is 31 and has 4 majors and 9 pga tour wins. 

By 31 TW had 13 majors and like 50 PGA tour wins. 

• Like 1