Bryson says Cobra Drivers suck, Cobra compares Bryson to Temper Tantrum throwing 8 year old

nosedive32

6 hours ago, Nels55 said:

Since his US Open win Bryson has 1 win, 5 top tens and has missed one cut.  He has made approximately 3.5 million dollars in that time.  If that qualifies as 'very little' I will take it any day!

Granted that’s great and I’d take that just like you, but for all the coverage how “he’s changing golf” according to the world he’s hardly dominant. He hasn’t lit the majors up since that US open and he’s flogging the overpowering every course horse. You’ve got to know when to tone it back and play for precision and with his distance he could probably hit 2 iron all day and have a shorter club than the others.

My point is, he’s not a very intelligent scientist. By all means keep smashing it but he needs to learn when not to and he seems incapable.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Pro v1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

44 minutes ago, philly2kuk said:

Granted that’s great and I’d take that just like you, but for all the coverage how “he’s changing golf” according to the world he’s hardly dominant. He hasn’t lit the majors up since that US open and he’s flogging the overpowering every course horse. You’ve got to know when to tone it back and play for precision and with his distance he could probably hit 2 iron all day and have a shorter club than the others.

My point is, he’s not a very intelligent scientist. By all means keep smashing it but he needs to learn when not to and he seems incapable.

He has dialed it back and hit less club a lot of times.  I believe that there was one tournament where he almost never hit driver. 

Giving up on experiments without following them through is not good science.  He is trying to do something that no one has ever done which is to bring a long drive approach to tournament golf.  Possibly you are right and it cannot be done but you don't know and you don't know exactly what he is working on or what his data is telling him.   

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

He has dialed it back and hit less club a lot of times.  I believe that there was one tournament where he almost never hit driver. 

Giving up on experiments without following them through is not good science.  He is trying to do something that no one has ever done which is to bring a long drive approach to tournament golf.  Possibly you are right and it cannot be done but you don't know and you don't know exactly what he is working on or what his data is telling him.   

Defending Bryson will not be tolerated in this thread! 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Murphy76 said:

Yeah.  Right.

Every time he changes a club, the price for a Cobra club goes up for the consumer?  

"Well, Bryson just requested a new driver head, so we've got to jack up the price another 10 bucks or we'll be in bankruptcy."

Club manufacturers are no different from any other manufacturer in any other industry.  They price their clubs as high as their target customer will tolerate and hope to get that price and have a returning customer.  Part of that cost is somewhat fixed- i.e. endorsements.  They know the cost/ benefits of endorsements.   If one player expands,  another contracts.   

If Long-Drive-McGee helps them sell a lot more clubs than Mary-misses-greens,  then Mary's salary goes down and LDMG's goes up. 

Frankly, I like Cobra clubs, and I hope this fallderaha and curfluffle helps their company.

Certainly not 1:1 correlation but if you don't think those costs are ultimately funded by the consumer then who does the money come from? 

Couldn't help but think if he said this on golfwrx, we'd tell him to get lessons, post his swing vid, or try the DIY driver fitting thing.  Or tell him to stick with the LTD driver!

Good on Cobra for calling him out.  His pushing of the envelope and thinking outside the box is good for the game IMO.  But he's also young, good at what he does, got a spotlight, got a lot to say, and will say some dumb things and get a lot of eye rolls... Trying to impress with hype vids, being different, hat and all, for social brand.  He should learn from it though.

• Like 1

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 4W TEE CBX 119, OG HZ Black 75 6.5 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, RIPα105X 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

14 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

I realize most people posting in this thread took 7 years to finish their bachelor's degree (along with Tommy Callahan), but it is possible to graduate in 3. In fact, some people actually do that.

Do you think it's actually possible to graduate from a sciences program, that usually require more credit hours than arts programs (128 vs 120), in three years, all while being competitive at the highest levels of a DI athletics program? If you do, I've got a bridge to sell you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

I've been emailing the Golf Channel, hoping they'll do an inspirational segment on Bryson and how amazing it must have been for him to go back to school and finish his degree considering all of the travel and practice it takes to play golf professionally.

Anyone else want to join in this?

Dude..let it go . Go to SMU alumi site... BS in physics 2016....numerous articles referencing his degree from SMU...his website...PGAtour.com bio section......Jodi Cooley.. professor at SMU in physics has multiple article on him getting his degree and how he applys it to golf and sports in general. You don't have to call him a scientist brother and you don't have to like him..we get it. Here's a alumi list for golfers at SMU

If you don't believe it ...so be it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, joostin said:

Couldn't help but think if he said this on golfwrx, we'd tell him to get lessons, post his swing vid, or try the DIY driver fitting thing.  Or tell him to stick with the LTD driver!

Bryson: My driver doesn’t perform well on mishits. 

GolfWRX: Try hitting the center of the face then. And of course the proverbial ‘Indian, not that arrow’ analogy. 

• Like 2

"Dude?" What are you, 14

1 hour ago, Shakespeare said:

Dude..let it go . Go to SMU alumi site... BS in physics 2016....numerous articles referencing his degree from SMU...his website...PGAtour.com bio section......Jodi Cooley.. professor at SMU in physics has multiple article on him getting his degree and how he applys it to golf and sports in general. You don't have to call him a scientist brother and you don't have to like him..we get it. Here's a alumi list for golfers at SMU

If you don't believe it ...so be it.

Sigh. Don't quote wikipedia. I could change it todayt and say he is in astronaut training, too.

Next, Jodi Cooley at SMU did NOT say that he graduated. The WRITER said it and the writer made a mistaken assumption.

"Dude?"

What are you, 14 years old?

• Like 3

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

7 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

"Dude?" What are you, 14

Sigh. Don't quote wikipedia.  I could change it today and say he is an astronaut in training, too.

Next, Jodi Cooley at SMU did NOT say that he graduated. The WRITER said it and the writer made a mistaken assumption.

"Dude?"

Ohhhhh! That’s a great idea. I’m surprised his team of spin doctors haven’t added that already! 😂 
Bryson: Scientist, champion golfer… Astronaut 😇 🇺🇸 

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

"Dude?" What are you, 14

Sigh. Don't quote wikipedia. I could change it todayt and say he is in astronaut training, too.

"Dude?"

Exactly.  Anyone can say they accomplished anything... and if they get others to repeat the lie enough it might convince people.  I know of at least a couple high level executives at fortune 500 companies that claimed they graduated with various degrees yet never finished their course work.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Exactly.  Anyone can say they accomplished anything... and if they get others to repeat the lie enough it might convince people.  I know of at least a couple high level executives at fortune 500 companies that claimed they graduated with various degrees yet never finished their course work.  

Imagine what would happen to Bryson if a reporter did a little digging and discovered Bryson was lying about having received a degree....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nels55 said:

You make some fair points and I actually want to like Bryson, I respect his drive and work ethic. His behaviour makes it impossible for me to like him however. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Pro v1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

It seems to me having a swing speed in the upper 130mph range (or slightly higher) and using a driver with 5 degree loft is a recipe for inconsistency.  What would happen if Bryson dialed his driver swing speed back 10% and used an 8 degree driver?  His quest to be the longest driver on tour and manhandle courses is going to be the ruin of his winning ways.  Sure, he may win a PGA tour event but his chances in majors will be few and far in between.  That’s my take on this.  

Edited by RobotDoctor
  • Thanks 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

38 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

It seems to me having a swing speed in the upper 130mph range (or slightly higher) and using a driver with 5 degree loft is a recipe for inconsistency.  What would happen if Bryson dialed his driver swing speed back 10% and used an 8 degree driver?  His quest to be the longest driver on tour and manhandle courses is going to be the ruin of his winning ways.  Sure, he may win a PGA tour event but his chances in majors will be few and far in between.  That’s my take on this.  

BAD is writing an algorithm right now to answer that question 

• Haha 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

35 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

IMO remembering golf club manufacturing physics, the more loft, the more the club face will be closed and have a tendency to produce a draw>hook...he has to go with the straightest to most open face to eliminate the miss left... the pros today are all about launch angle..if BDC hit a driver with 8 degrees of loft IMO he would be missing a lot to the left...asking him to throttle back his swing speed is diametrically opposite of what he is trying to do. he wants to be able to swing as hard as he wants and eliminate one side of the golf course and hope that the line he chose will give him the shortest approach into the green

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, 3whacker said:

IMO remembering golf club manufacturing physics, the more loft, the more the club face will be closed and have a tendency to produce a draw>hook...he has to go with the straightest to most open face to eliminate the miss left... the pros today are all about launch angle..if BDC hit a driver with 8 degrees of loft IMO he would be missing a lot to the left...asking him to throttle back his swing speed is diametrically opposite of what he is trying to do. he wants to be able to swing as hard as he wants and eliminate one side of the golf course and hope that the line he chose will give him the shortest approach into the green

That could very well be true. With regards to physics, I am absolutely certain Bryson DeChambeau knows a lot more about Physics than I will ever know.  🙂

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

14 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Because Bryson's ball striking and his special equipment needs is irrelevant to average golf consumers needs. Yet everyone buying clubs is funding the pros equipment when we buy clubs. 

I agree…except.  Cobra supplies BD with club engineers, builders, etc. on a daily basis and he still says the Cobra clubs suck.  What chance does the Average Joe buying clubs from Dick’s or TGW; clubs that are manufactured and built as cheaply as Cobra can get away with?  You’re probably right but I don’t hear any other manufacturers players b**** to the press about how their clubs suck.

52 minutes ago, ebrasmus21 said:

BAD is writing an algorithm right now to answer that question 

No doubt!  If there is an answer I am sure he will eventually come up with it.  

23 minutes ago, hunterdog said:

I agree…except.  Cobra supplies BD with club engineers, builders, etc. on a daily basis and he still says the Cobra clubs suck.  What chance does the Average Joe buying clubs from Dick’s or TGW; clubs that are manufactured and built as cheaply as Cobra can get away with?  You’re probably right but I don’t hear any other manufacturers players b**** to the press about how their clubs suck.

That's because they don't have Bryson in their lineup of endorsements. This is pretty uncommon, lol. 

Maybe Patrick Reed v. Callaway? That's the only recent memory example I can think of and it was after he left them.

So, Bryson and Patrick.

Of course all of this is way overblown, but still it's just weird he chose that time and place to vent.

3 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

i guess it really is about who they know as opposed to what they know.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus 6.0
3 Wood: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 13* Fujikura Motore F3 70-S
Hybrid: Ping Rapture v2 17*
Irons: Srixon 745 TT DG S300 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist 718 ap2 50* GW
Titleist SM6 54* M grind SW
Putter: Swag the Cooler