2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Dave Pelz and the 64 deg wedge

playit

Whatever happened with the Dave Pelz theory of adding a 64 degree wedge? Do any pros use this currently? What about him teaching that system, does he? I see a couple of 64 degree wedges offered but has the 64 degree largely gone the way of the dodo bird? I did try to add the 64 several years ago over a period of a few months but it never stuck, I just used my 60 as max loft. Open the face if needed. What do you guys know about this?

17 minutes ago, playit said:

Whatever happened with the Dave Pelz theory of adding a 64 degree wedge? Do any pros use this currently? What about him teaching that system, does he? I see a couple of 64 degree wedges offered but has the 64 degree largely gone the way of the dodo bird? I did try to add the 64 several years ago over a period of a few months but it never stuck, I just used my 60 as max loft. Open the face if needed. What do you guys know about this?

Trends in golf come and go, I believe the strokes gained approach really killed the popularity of having an abundance of wedges with very narrow gapping.

It also isn't necessary - like others say regarding this topic, just open a 60 degree 1/4 turn and you've got the same thing basically.

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F @ 49, 54S @ 55, 60M

SC NP2

Unless your name is Mickelson, or you spend every day hitting wedge shots like Pelz, a 64-degree wedge is going to produce more bad shots than good ones. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 1w 08.75 - AD VF 65 x

Titleist TSR2 3w 13.75 - AD VF 75 x

Titleist TSR2 3h 4h – AD DI 85/95 x

Titleist T100 5i 6i 7i 8i 9i – X100

Titleist SM9 46F 50F 54S 60M – S400

Titleist Pro V1 – Mezz.1 Broomstick

I played either a 62° or 64° for a long time and liked it.  Ultimately it just came down to not being able to justify the spot in the bag for such a specialty club.  That said, it is certainly not for everybody.  In fact, for the overwhelming majority of golfers I think it would actually be a detriment.  

Unpopular opinion - Pelz is a hack.  Yeah, I said it.  No real surprise there aren't more people playing his "system".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

The 64 is only useful in limited situations. I've got a 64 wedge in the bag right now due to the unique characteristics of my home club. It's a shorter course, with fast greens that are small, firm, and heavily sloped. I've found the 64 to be great for short-sided chips/pitches and the 40-70 yard approach that stops on a dime. I end up with enough of those type of shots at my home course to warrant the 64. The key for me is grip down with it on pitches/chips, and never try to swing more that 80% on a full shot. Trying to hit a 64 hard is a recipe for disaster.

On longer courses with bigger greens, I don't have those type of shots frequently enough to warrant such a high-lofted wedge. I'll usually swap the 64 for another hybrid or fairway at the top of my bag when playing other courses.  

Edited by bazinky
  • Like 3

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist TSR2 4W 16.5 at D1 (16.5) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  60 6.0

Titleist TSR2 7W 21 at D1 (20) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist TSR2 21 at A3 (23) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0

Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

In Timeout - Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Like most specialty tools, the 64° has its place. The main questions are; can you use it effectively and if so, is it worth what you're giving up on the other end of your bag? Obviously it's not for everyone and considering the arguments within this website about dropping from a 60 to a 58 or 56, I don't see a 'worthiness consensus' being reached anytime soon.

As far as the comment about Pelz being a hack. I can't attest to his golf scores as I've never personally witnessed him hitting a golf ball. However, his contributions were ground breaking, used by some of the best short game players ever, and should be considered valuable to the golfing masses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Dunno about Pelz or the pros, but I have a 64 in the bag and find it useful ... within limits.  It's a specialty tool for deep bunkers, short flops and the very occasional pitch when I need a shot that stops stone dead.  If I needed slots in the bag for fairways I'd probably drop it but since I have room why not.

A 58 if what I have in the bag.  Have a friend that has a 64.  Have used a couple on times on the practice green.  It is kind of fun to play around with.  Brings a whole new meaning to the term drop & stop.  The guy that has it, I tease him now & then.  I will ask him if he has a fear of the ball coming up in his face with that thing.

Being a shorter hitter, my game is all about the third shot (on par 4's) getting close the pin.  In that context the 64* wedge probably saves me at least one shot a side (sometimes more) when I find myself short sided close to the green or in a bunker.  Certainly it requires practice to use this specialized wedge consistently and I agree that you generally don't want to swing at anything greater than 80% to maintain control.  However, my own experience has been that to use this high a loft wedge requires that you maintain an aggressive swing speed and trust that the ball will stop where you want it to...of course this is not always the case...

Edited by chasdr

East Coast Bag:                                                  West Coast Bag:

G430MAX 10.5 GD Tour AD XC 5R                   G430MAX 10.5 GD Tour AD XC 5R

Gen6P 5W/7W GD Tour AD XC 5R                    Gen6P 3W GD Tour AD XC 5R

Fli-Hi Hybrid 26* GD Tour AD HY 65R.             Gen6XF 3H/4H/5H GD Tour AD HY 65R

i230 6-UW Alta CB Stiff                                     P790 '23 6-AW C-Taper Lite 105R

SM9 55S/59A NS Pro v90R                               SM9 55S/59T C-Taper Lite 105R

SC Golo Jet Black                                               SC Golo

FWIW, I love my 60 degree, it is my favorite club; I tried to like the 64 but didn't really find it was much more useful than the 60, plus, each club is a valuable slot in a 14-club limit. I also practiced quite a bit with the 64 (and all wedges), kind of the Pelz method of dialing in short pitches. My fave shot is a short wedge shot for birdie from the fairway. Hit a big drive, then a wedge? I simply learned to hit the high spin shot with 60 deg from tight lies, the skip and stop. I didn't find that the 64 was so good at that for me.

54,60 were my go to last 18 months,with 60 really just in Sand.Got a mate plays 60 so often...and it looses him shots often..i am confident my new full face 58 will be good enough in sand and drop n stop.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Tried it 12 years ago when it was more in vogue with a 62. It was sometimes useful but it's not needed now or today unless...

The sole reason I can think of having one is if you have a lot of crowned greens with hole locations on the crown and you want ball to brake and hold - but you've got to have skill to do that. Most do not. Don't know if I do and I experiment all the time. My verdict is "Don't waste your money." Try to make use of your money someplace else in the bag.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Back in 2000, Pelz packaged two decades of research on chips and wedges into Short Game Bible. He advocated back then to going to 4 wedges in the bag. Plus, the clock system was used to control distance. See diagram (red loft ranges inserted by me from info elsewhere in the book).

image.png.4c86816046d71696a099567c02ef6691.png

One curious diagram note is the absence of a Gap Wedge (AKA Utility, Attack, Approach). For a long time, Pelz and club designer Ralph Maltby suggested that the GW wasn't really necessary, if one just mastered partial swings.

This is interesting, as GWs began appearing in the early 1990s in club models such as the Titleist DCI Black (released in 1993). The idea was to fill the loft gap between the SW and the PW, when the pitches delofted to the high-40 degree range.

Since 2000, Pelz has come around and now recommends having up to Five Wedges:

"Pros will hit 7-10 shots from inside 125 yards every time they play. Amateurs will hit many more shots from that distance, and the truth is that amateurs need wedges more than pros. And they need more wedges to cover more distance gaps. Personally, I carry five wedges and each is a different loft, has a different length, and has a different bounce.”

Reality check: Most pros do it with three or four wedges in the bag. And, a few still carry a 64° in the bag.

The 64° LW, or extreme wedge, takes a bit of time to practice. Many players feel they can get the same benefit from a LW cut shot. And, it's one less club to practice if you drop the 64°.

I need to explain my bag mix a little. I have just three true wedges, but I use a 1/4 and 1/2 9-iron shot to cover a couple of distances. At times I consider dropping the 48° in favor of PW + GW... Lately I'm getting too many dicey "in between" shots over water.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

If you regularly play greens that don't require high lofted, soft landing shots, then the 64* isn't going to do you much good.  If you do, and you're skilled enough to hit flops and sand shots that stop quickly, then you probably don't need one, either.  It's helped me because I don't really have the time to work on manipulating a 58 or 60 degree, and I can hit the short game shots my courses require with the 64. 

• Like 1

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Callaway Paradym HL (set to 15.5*) Speeder Evolution V 661

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6
Ping i530 5-UW Alta CB Black

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

I throw a 64° PM Grind wedge in the bag from time to time. It is super easy to hit from bunkers and there may be a shot or two a round that it's good for around the greens. But I have zero confidence hitting any sort of full or even partial shot with it. So it only goes in the bag when I'm struggling with my sand game and need a boost of confidence. Although the recent addition of the 60° Full Toe wedge may even keep that 64° in the backup bag for good.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 10.5° Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X

Titleist TSR1 15° Atmos TS 8S

PING G410 20.5° Tensei AV Blue 75X

Callaway Mavrik Max 24° Hybrid Project X Catalyst 75S

Titleist T150 6-GW Modus 120S

Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F, 58.14K (at 56°), 60.04T DG Wedge Flex

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec

If anyone is struggling with their sand game, there is the venerable Ping Eye2 sole, which the PM Grind, come to think of it, kinda' copied. Phil is great at taking and modifying what he wants - Ping Eye 2 sole, Edel's Grooves to the edge..

• Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I've got a 64. It's in my garage, where it's resided for four or five years now. I never used it enough for it to justify taking up a spot in my bag. What it did I can still do with my 60 taking a 3/4 swing.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

I am not a very good golfer by any stretch of the imagination, but my 64 degree wedge isn't the reason. I absolutely love it for greenside bunkers and flops, but it comes in handy in all kinds of situations.

My home course is a links course on top of a mountain, and the greens are often surrounded by mounds or hills... which have fluffy rough on them. The 64 lets me get the ball stopped on the green from those lies, particularly when the pin is placed so it doesn't give me much green to work with.

I often find myself opening the 64 even further and playing it with a fair bit of speed. I don't use it every round, but I practice all kinds of shots with it: sand, flops, bump and runs, face open, face closed, tight lies, fluffy lies, mud... it's very versatile.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

19 hours ago, animalgolfs said:

I know a 64* is useless 99.01% of the time....on the courses I play regularly 

99.9% for me. 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
3 (18°) & 4 (21°) Cleveland Halo XL hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

It's interesting how the game has evolved and wedge makeup has changed a bit.

Back in the mid 2000's the common 4 wedge setup was PW/52/56/60 so adding a 64° meant carrying a 5th wedge.

These days we seem to be happy with bigger loft increments in our wedges so PW/52/58/64 is an option for those that want a 64° but only want to carry 4 wedges. 

Me personally I can't even use a 60° consistently so 58° is the maximum lofted wedge in my bag. 

Edited by kiwihacker

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
3 (18°) & 4 (21°) Cleveland Halo XL hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

I have a 64 wedge that I never use... last time I took it out was 4 years ago. When I took it out to play, I would always manage to screw up a shot or two. It's great for miracle shots, but that's a crapshoot on results. I'm a 4 hcp and I think it's difficult to hit it the way I want 99% of the time

• Like 1

Toyed with one a few years ago as a demo that our Pro had. Honestly, could not see the benefit of it. I can see that there are courses where it would be helpful but those are few and far between in Scotland. The most I got out of it was hitting some flops to see how high I could get them to go. Fun on the practice ground, not really something that translates to the golf course 😂

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

1 hour ago, MattyO1984 said:

Toyed with one a few years ago as a demo that our Pro had. Honestly, could not see the benefit of it. I can see that there are courses where it would be helpful but those are few and far between in Scotland. The most I got out of it was hitting some flops to see how high I could get them to go. Fun on the practice ground, not really something that translates to the golf course 😂

Hmmm. I’m going to scootland and I’m dropping the 64 for the trip. 47, 53, 60. Why you think a 64 is useful there?

18 minutes ago, Mookieb10 said:

Hmmm. I’m going to scootland and I’m dropping the 64 for the trip. 47, 53, 60. Why you think a 64 is useful there?

No sorry, I was saying that courses like that are few and far between here. General lack of rough around the greens make it pretty much redundant.

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023