What if your woman plays great golf

playit

I would love it if my wife was scratch.  As it is, she doesn't care much for golf.  She used to accompany me on the course because she liked the walk, but after a while she figured out I was using her as a caddie more than a companion, so that was the end of that.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

On 10/9/2021 at 11:54 AM, playit said:

I had a gf one time who was not only a knockout, she could really play golf! She could flat hit it long and shot in the low 80s.

... are you trying to say your new girlfriend looks like a farm animal and hates golf 🐓

• Haha 1

Can't figure how to like my own posts

If she was great, I think that would be awesome.  If she was on the other end of the spectrum (horrible), that could be painful in many ways!

On the great side, I think golf travel would be awesome!!  To both love and then share great destinations would be amazing.

For weekend play ( I love my wife.  She is one of my greatest friends ever, and we just had a vow renewal with best friends and family in West Palm Beach) my preference would probably still be a kiss for luck and I will meet you in the 19th hole in 3 and 1/2 hours.  Even best of friends need time to be with other friends.  I love to play with the 20 or so guys in our normal group and win or loose $30 or $40 bucks. Regardless of how good she was, even if she played in the group the dynamics would change for everyone.

Yep, the better she was the more enjoyable it would be.  Still, I would want us to have our own golf time.

• Like 1

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My daughter was a junior golfer and DII college player.  She's is busy with graduate school now and only plays once every couple of months and still manages to break 80.  On a side note, when she was in high school and we would travel on family vacations, we would get paired with random twosomes.  Prior to teeing off often times I could tell they were pissed because they were paired with a girl who they thought would slow them down.  When she would tee off, I wouldn't watch her, but would watch them.  The astonished looks were hilarious to me.  I then thought to myself that they didn't think they were going to get beat by a girl today.

My daughter has been dating a great young man who is in medical school for about two years.  He has said that once he gets through school he wants to join a club and play golf regularly.  Although he plays now (very seldomly) he isn't all that great.  His dad is also a golfer about a 2 handicap like me.  One day last summer the four of us were sitting around after playing and his dad looks over at him and says, "I don't know what's going to happen between you two.  But if you wind up together, you will never be as good as her."  I busted up laughing.  

• Like 2

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 54° D, 60° T, KBS TGI 95s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

I would have absolutely no problem with this.  None, nada, zip.  That would mean more golf.

In reality my wife doesn't play golf.  May start but doesn't right now.  She loves, and I mean LOVES, to fish.  She also encourages me to play and practice golf often because she knows that is how I get right with the world.  Sometimes I go fishing and she usually out fishes me.  No worries.  Life is good!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I spent close to 20 years as a caddie on the LPGA and LET.  Those ladies are good, regards of gender.  No they aren't crushing it 300+ but they hit 12-14 fairways every round.  

One of my regular summer sidekicks is my old boss.  She's retired now, but we've taken more money from chauvinistic a-holes than I can count. 

As to the comment about poor putting....it isn't all of them.  The all-time record for fewest putts in a competitive round is held by a woman.  17 putts in an LPGA event.  The worst putter I ever bagged for was a guy on the European Tour.  That dude was horrible under pressure and cost me sooooo much money with his inability to hit the mark when it mattered most.

Nothing like being 3 up with 4 to play then watching him 3 putt his way to a tie for 5th, and your kid's college money fly out the window.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, OnTheBag said:

I spent close to 20 years as a caddie on the LPGA and LET.  Those ladies are good, regards of gender.  No they aren't crushing it 300+ but they hit 12-14 fairways every round.  

One of my regular summer sidekicks is my old boss.  She's retired now, but we've taken more money from chauvinistic a-holes than I can count. 

As to the comment about poor putting....it isn't all of them.  The all-time record for fewest putts in a competitive round is held by a woman.  17 putts in an LPGA event. 

I've played in 13 LPGA pro-ams over the years so I've gotten a little bit of a close-up look at some of their games. And it's absolutely amazing. They swing so smoothly, effortlessly. Yeah, they don't bomb it like the guys do, but they don't miss many fairways either. One year I played with Morgan Pressel (in 2007, only a couple months after she won her solo major). Of all the players I got to play with, she was probably the shortest off the tee that I can remember. But man, she was shooting darts with her approach shots. I think she was pretty good at the putting too. 

I also usually made a habit of peeking into their bags when I played with them, and I remember almost all of them played some form of game improvement irons. EXCEPT for Laura Diaz. She had Titleist blades. She also noted that she didn't have an equipment contract, nor did she want one. 

Them girls got game.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

6 hours ago, Roody said:

I've played in 13 LPGA pro-ams over the years so I've gotten a little bit of a close-up look at some of their games. And it's absolutely amazing. They swing so smoothly, effortlessly. Yeah, they don't bomb it like the guys do, but they don't miss many fairways either. One year I played with Morgan Pressel (in 2007, only a couple months after she won her solo major). Of all the players I got to play with, she was probably the shortest off the tee that I can remember. But man, she was shooting darts with her approach shots. I think she was pretty good at the putting too. 

I also usually made a habit of peeking into their bags when I played with them, and I remember almost all of them played some form of game improvement irons. EXCEPT for Laura Diaz. She had Titleist blades. She also noted that she didn't have an equipment contract, nor did she want one. 

Them girls got game.

US Women's Open Pro-AM???  I would have been on the course in '07.  

Edited by OnTheBag

On 12/10/2021 at 3:05 PM, OnTheBag said:

US Women's Open Pro-AM???  I would have been on the course in '07.  

No, these were all pro-ams for what was the Rochester LPGA, which eventually became the Wegmans LPGA Championship. Then after 2014, the LPGA took it out of Rochester. 

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

On 12/13/2021 at 7:35 AM, Roody said:

No, these were all pro-ams for what was the Rochester LPGA, which eventually became the Wegmans LPGA Championship. Then after 2014, the LPGA took it out of Rochester. 

Ah.  Locust Hill CC, right down the road from Oak Hill.  What a great little course for aching bagger knees.  We played that the week before heading to Pine Needles for the Open in' 07.  Locust Hill was only like 6600 from the tips, but had some funny angles on it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KBong said:

Do you mean Laura Davies?

Nope, Laura Diaz:
https://www.lpga.com/players/laura-diaz/81605/overview

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

5 minutes ago, Roody said:

Yes, I know who Diaz is...kinda surprised she was playing blades.

I think Davies might have played blades back in the day and still might.

Charley Hull plays blades....I assume there might be some other(s) LPGA pros who might play blades nowadays....but it would be few.

1 minute ago, KBong said:

Charley Hull plays blades....I assume there might be some other(s) LPGA pros who might play blades nowadays....but it would be few.

Ahh gotcha. I've had several people over the years get the two confused. Davies is obviously the bigger winner on the LPGA Tour, so many people assume I mean her when I tell them my Laura Diaz stories. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

39 minutes ago, Roody said:

Ahh gotcha. I've had several people over the years get the two confused. Davies is obviously the bigger winner on the LPGA Tour, so many people assume I mean her when I tell them my Laura Diaz stories. 

It's a shame the LPGA left the Rochester area who supported the LPGA so well.

Hopefully a local company steps up to sponsor an event.

I hope the PGA of America gets the KPMG to be played at Oak Hills.

I was born in Toronto and in the GTA until 1992 and never made it to Roch....except on a TO to Roch to Wash, DC flight.

I've been to Niagara Fall, NY and Buffalo and Ellicottville, NY so many times. 

So who were your top 3 LPGA pros in your 13 pro-ams?

BTW...Diaz is kinda a SMOKESHOW.

I have a friend who is many times women's champ at a couple of local courses.  I would say that scoring wise our games are pretty close, I hit the ball farther but she is more consistent.  LOL our games are close until the last few holes where she never misses and always wins...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, KBong said:

Beg to differ with you I can't vouch for the LPGA but at least 1/3 of the Symetra tour plays blades. People dot realize how good of ball strikers 80% of these ladies are.

Speaking of Davies many moons ago was playing Pinehurst #2 with a mini tour pro so we were moving right a long and just after the turn there's a foursome on our backside hitting right behind/ into us. Davies and a few LPGA ladies getting in some practice. As a side note she bought beers at the 19th.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gsea said:

Speaking of Davies many moons ago was playing Pinehurst #2 with a mini tour pro so we were moving right a long and just after the turn there's a foursome on our backside hitting right behind/ into us. Davies and a few LPGA ladies getting in some practice. As a side note she bought beers at the 19th.

Dame Laura likes to play fast....no surprise she paid for a rd of beers.

many moons ago I dated a girl who ended up playing on LPGA for 9 years. retired in 2017. from the tips tees 6900+ we were about the same, I could get her on really long courses and courses where I'd hit less than drivers and the greens were hard to putt she'd whoop me. on rare occasions where we got paired up with strangers I'd just tell people I was her caddy, as she was the one with a staff bag and a name on it lol. unfortunately the golf course was where we had the most fun. 

18 hours ago, KBong said:

So who were your top 3 LPGA pros in your 13 pro-ams?

BTW...Diaz is kinda a SMOKESHOW.

In the 13 years I got to play with Diaz twice (2008, 2010). She was without a doubt my favorite. Probably next favorite was Morgan Pressel, with Lizette Salas coming in 3rd. Honorable mention to Dottie Pepper back in 2004 just before she retired and went to the booth. 

I pick Diaz and Pressel because they were the most generous with their time. Diaz especially so. And they were great to talk to. One of the years I played with Diaz, we had lightning come through around the 10th hole, and were all called in to the clubhouse to wait it out. All the ams went into the lunchroom to grab food since they said it'd be at least an hour before they'd let us out again. Laura and her husband (also her caddie) both came in and sat down at our table to eat with us.

No other pro came into the lunchroom with their team. Her and Kevin chatted it up with us the entire lunch hour, we got to ask her all sorts of questions. We even had one amateur gentleman in the group who was kind of a d**k most of the day get put in his place by her. I remember him asking her "so what's your favorite course on tour?", and I think she said Muirfield Village (I might be wrong with that, but I remember it beginning with "M"). Anyways, amateur guy responds "but what about our beautiful Locust Hill CC here in Rochester? That's not your favorite?". She turned to him and said point blank "well if you wanna pick my favorite course for me, then why bother to ask me the question?". Loved it. 

Least favorite was Dorothy Delasin back in 2003. I don't think she lasted long on tour. She spent the entire time only really talking to her caddie. Her mood was one of "uggh, I hate these stupid pro ams, why do I have to be here?", and any time one of us tried to chat with her, we got one sentence answers and the she went right back to ignoring us. 

Edited by Roody
  • Like 2

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

5 hours ago, Roody said:

Least favorite was Dorothy Delasin back in 2003. I don't think she lasted long on tour. She spent the entire time only really talking to her caddie. Her mood was one of "uggh, I hate these stupid pro ams, why do I have to be here?", and any time one of us tried to chat with her, we got one sentence answers and the she went right back to ignoring us. 

I'm surprised at Delasin....but then again I don't know much about her...so not surprised either.

I believe her younger sister was on Big Break...if I recall she twisted her ankle???...and maybe W/D???

On 12/17/2021 at 1:52 PM, KBong said:

I'm surprised at Delasin....but then again I don't know much about her...so not surprised either.

I believe her younger sister was on Big Break...if I recall she twisted her ankle???...and maybe W/D???

I’m unsure about her younger sister. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Met my wife on the first tee 26 yrs ago (her first on a course) It’s been fun watching her learn the game and improve to win club championships at 3 different courses, play state level events the past 10 years, and play in the US Senior Women’s Am.

She plays most of her golf from 6000yd tees and this past year won the men’s member-member season long match play tournament - knocking me out in the semifinals. 

best part is when we travel and play golf. Lot of fun. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

I am optimistic that my wife will get interested in playing golf in 2022 -- we'll see.  She is more athletic than I am and I believe with some work she could be a respectable player very quickly.  She is really close with her youngest aunt (large family, sort of like her big sis) who is an accomplished amateur, so I hope that gives her some extra motivation.

I love playing with women, but even better was caddying.  When I was a full-time club caddy (most of the 1990s), Tuesday was still officially Ladies Day.  After Saturday (two bags, 36 holes) and Sunday (two bags, 18 holes for sure, 36 hopeful) hauling a** all over the course and often off the course trying to keep long, crooked players under control, Tuesdays were awesome.  There were only five or six ladies who walked and I was really lucky to get a weekly loop with the same two women.  Couple of the nicest people I ever worked for, and it sure was nice cruising down the center of the fairway since neither of them ever hit many foul balls.

• Like 2

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I learned to play golf a year after I graduated college. A coworker lived in the same apartment complex and was a couple of years older. They opened up a new golf practice facility between our office the complex and she asked if I wanted to take beginner lessons with her. She is a 5'9 blonde who'd played D1 college basketball.  She was a natural athlete and picked the game up WAY faster than I did. She undoubtedly would have worked her way to a 10 or less pretty quickly.  We played a lot of rounds together and it was interesting to watch how guys treated her. They either acted like she had done a magic trick when she hit the ball solid and were way over the top complimentary. Or they assumed they could give her pointers to 'help' her with her game. And yeah, she looked great with long legs, killer tan and an effortless swing.

We were just friends and stopped playing as much together when I started dating my wife.  She actually stopped playing because she said it was too much of a pain to try to get on as a single and it was hard to find other women to play with.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack'