2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

What's your excuse?

mrshinsa

I'm watching Queens gambit and can't help chuckle when Beth Harmon's adoptive mom used illness as an excuse to pull her out of school.

Looking at our kids schedule, there's handful of tournaments that fall during the school days.

We've always put school before anything else, but it's getting tougher as he's getting older. 

Most people use illness as an excuse, but unfortunately our school now wants negative PCR test before returning to school, which can take up to 72 hours.

What has been everyone's strategy?

I need to pick up at noon for an appointment.

No more...no less.

I mean, I could make a really good argument that spending uninterrupted quality family time...without screens or other distractions...is more important for development, than reading about the battle of Yorktown.

Noon appointment is easier though.   

• Like 2

Serious question:  Is this a problem for families?  I don't have kids, but was in elementary and High school in the 90s/early 2000s and don't recall ever having an issue justifying why I was being taken out of school.  I used to ski race, and I guess the teachers weren't concerned about me catching up, but isn't a parent's word that they're being taken out sufficient?  Hell, I got taken out of class one day so I could learn to kick field goals because the kicker on my football team was a dumbass.

It was always a safety thing then.  If I didn't show up without notice they start calling family, but if you give notice, even if my parents just said I was sick or had an appointment, nobody cared.

TaylorMade Stealth+ 8°  - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black

TaylorMade SIM 2 Ti 5w 19° (set to 17°) - Diamana Limited 75 S

TaylorMade SIM UDI 2i - Diamana Thump 90 S

Ping i210 5i-UW - Dynamic Gold S300

TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 56-10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Milled Grind 60-09 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64- - Dynamic Gold Wedge

Ping Craz-e - Ping Karsten w/ Super Stroke Traxion Claw 2.0 grip

1 minute ago, amace04 said:

Serious question:  Is this a problem for families?  I don't have kids, but was in elementary and High school in the 90s/early 2000s and don't recall ever having an issue justifying why I was being taken out of school.  I used to ski race, and I guess the teachers weren't concerned about me catching up, but isn't a parent's word that they're being taken out sufficient?  Hell, I got taken out of class one day so I could learn to kick field goals because the kicker on my football team was a dumbass.

It was always a safety thing then.  If I didn't show up without notice they start calling family, but if you give notice, even if my parents just said I was sick or had an appointment, nobody cared.

Prior to COVID-19, I think people just made up whatever lie they needed.  Now, you have to be careful and not mention being sick, otherwise, they want negative COVID tests and an anal probe before you can come back. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

9 minutes ago, amace04 said:

Probably depends on the state and the school honestly. I teach and all we care is that a parent checks them out. Don’t need a reason. End of the day, they aren’t going to tell you that you can’t take your kid. 
I took op as a joking/fun post. Maybe I was wrong

Our school district is sending out nasty truancy notices recently - public schools in CA want kids in seat to receive their funding - the only excused absence in CA is for illness and death in the family (there are a few others you can google it.)

***i used to try and do the right thing and tell everyone in advance get all the homework, do all assigned tasks.  The experiences the family does during the school year that are golf/non golf related only enhance their education - months later the district sends harassing texts and ridiculous TRUANCY letters to our home -

So now I do this:

-if at all possible have them be in school in the morning and then pull them out halfway thru the day - they will have all ready counted them as present i don't give a reason i just say i need my kid and they never ask

-dental appnt always works

-Physician check up (not sick)

-exposure to covid (not currently have covid) our district requires a negative home antigen test to return or the school will administer one upon return

-or sickness then return with home antigen test results or school does

• Like 1

Clearly we live in a different world than some of the posters here.

Here in California, they pretty much throw the book at you for unexcused absence.  
https://www.sfusd.edu/services/know-your-rights/student-family-handbook/chapter-4-student-academic-expectations/41-attendance-guidelines/415-what-happens-if-student-has-many-unexcused-absences

And yes, we found out the hard way that "golf tournament" is not a legitimate excuse.  😕

Excused absence reasons: Medical/dental appointments (doctor note required), illness, religious holidays, court appearances, funerals, and 1 day in-state college visits with a letter of confirmation from the college or a 2 day out of state college visit with a letter of confirmation from the college.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrshinsa said:

Clearly we live in a different world than some of the posters here.

Here in California, they pretty much throw the book at you for unexcused absence.  
https://www.sfusd.edu/services/know-your-rights/student-family-handbook/chapter-4-student-academic-expectations/41-attendance-guidelines/415-what-happens-if-student-has-many-unexcused-absences

And yes, we found out the hard way that "golf tournament" is not a legitimate excuse.  😕

Excused absence reasons: Medical/dental appointments (doctor note required), illness, religious holidays, court appearances, funerals, and 1 day in-state college visits with a letter of confirmation from the college or a 2 day out of state college visit with a letter of confirmation from the college.  

Wow

• Like 2

1 hour ago, amace04 said:

When I was a kid, we used to walk/bike ourselves 5 miles each way.  We stopped by a park or arcade and spent hours just fooling around unsupervised.  
Now a days, all the kids are delivered on a pillow cushion to the front of the class room.  Sometimes the parents stay in the class!

I had a hard time trying to explain to our kids why the things Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer did is not really possible.  

Edited by mrshinsa
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, jj9000 said:

This isn't a different State...this is like you said...a different World.

We show up and get our kids for whatever reason we want...then we go do whatever we want...with our families.

If they're with a parent its Excused...regardless of reason...and certainly without need of a freaking note from someone. 

It's my kid...and I'll take my kid where I want...when I want.

I feel for you guys that have to put up with that kind of crap.

Amen!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amace04 said:

I used to ski race too, about a decade earlier than you, and I was always driving the administration mad. Once I got up to regional/national FIS level, I was gone pretty much all winter.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

27 minutes ago, mrshinsa said:

Here's your excuse! Start your own religion and make golf tournaments an officially recognized holiday. BOOM problem solved!! 🤣

In all seriousness it's kind of sad that you have to jump though all of those hoops just to let your kid be out of school that day. Back when I was playing junior golf (just a mere 20ish years ago), all my parents had to do was call and tell them I wasn't going to be there that day. No reason required. Not to mention the fact that we missed a good 7-10 days during the spring each year for school sanctioned golf tournaments...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, RmoorePE said:

The thing about government agencies making stupid rules (i.e. California truancy) is that it turns good people into liars. What is the point?

In my company we do not have sick leave, it is just leave. Don't call me and pretend to cough so you can go golfing, call me and tell me you are going golfing and that you are screwing me over on a deadline. At least then we can determine when to adjust the deadline, knowing you will be back the next day.

The old attendance biddy at my daughter's middle school asked me why I was taking her out of school one afternoon. I said we were going to play a practice round before the weekend. She told me it was not a accepted excuse. I said "Well, I could lie and say she had a dentist appointment, but I don't like to lie. You can go ahead and lie for us on the sheet if it makes life easier for ya." No idea what she did, but my wife works in the same district at a different school and word of my behavior got to her pretty quickly. She asked me not to do things that would embarrass her at the schools, but I said the rule needed to change. Now she checks them out of class.

I have a similar story and not going into detail.  Ended up me cursing at the male school nurse and telling him to send the kid back to class.  My wife is calling and yelling at me less than 5 minutes later after she gets a call from Admin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

It is funny to see from state to state.  When we lived in New Hampshire they were super strict and needed documentation if we pulled my Son out.  The idiotic part about - they were full remote until end of April 21.  Now that we are back in TN - we just mention that we "have an appointment".  

I also use this as a reason on why I am so hard on grades and why my boys need to take care of their business in the classroom.  If you stay on top of your business, it helps when you are requesting exceptions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am lucky I guess that even though we are in California, daughter is at private school. I've taken her out Fridays for golf trips/tournaments multiple times and don't get any grief. We skipped school when we went to Western Cup 2 weeks ago and her teacher gave her a good luck card. Skipped last Friday to go to Palm Springs to play and watch PGA... I am taking her regardless, so its probably easier for them to be excited for her.

2 hours ago, darter79 said:

Mine goes to private I tell him the truth and they know about her golf tournaments and prepare her work in advance. Last I checked they have her as 0 absences which is comical

advantage of private school - many of the families we know have moved kids out of public into private schools for this reason and they will work with the student no big deal - unfortunately private school is not in our price range so for now we get creative with the stories.

• Like 1

i think I pulled my son out for a tournament or two and usually just told them we are going out of town.

The teachers have been nicer to my daughter.  Most know she is going to a tournament.

What is the difference between us pulling them out a couple of times a school year and the Virginia HS League holding District, regional, and states during class time?  They miss the whole day or days.

Since it's VHSL does that make it, right?  Still missing school.

Daughter is in JROTC and they will pull them out for parades.

So as far as I am concern the admin of the school can suck b@lls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/27/2022 at 2:10 PM, ncalgolf said:

Our school district is sending out nasty truancy notices recently - public schools in CA want kids in seat to receive their funding - the only excused absence in CA is for illness and death in the family (there are a few others you can google it.)

***i used to try and do the right thing and tell everyone in advance get all the homework, do all assigned tasks.  The experiences the family does during the school year that are golf/non golf related only enhance their education - months later the district sends harassing texts and ridiculous TRUANCY letters to our home -

So now I do this:

-if at all possible have them be in school in the morning and then pull them out halfway thru the day - they will have all ready counted them as present i don't give a reason i just say i need my kid and they never ask

-dental appnt always works

-Physician check up (not sick)

-exposure to covid (not currently have covid) our district requires a negative home antigen test to return or the school will administer one upon return

-or sickness then return with home antigen test results or school does

This is where getting involved, imo, with the schoolboard or running for office can stop some of the dictator board members. We don't have these problems in our school district as parents are involved. Pretty sad though for some. 

• Like 3