Titleist TSR2, TSR3 & TSR4 driver & TSR2, TSR2+ & TSR3 3 wood - 2022 Travelers

GolfWRX_Spotted

2 hours ago, tofur99 said:

why does 1.5 degrees of loft require a shorter shaft?  

It doesn't really. It is all user preference. Maybe that is something to experiment with. A 16.5º head with a "standard" 3W length shaft. You could be onto something here! 

1. Titleist TSR4 9º w/ Fujikura Ventus Black TR 6X (A1) (Swing weight: D4)
  2. Titleist TSR2 15º w/ MCA Tensei Blue CK Pro Prototype 80TX (D1 setting) (43" (-4 weight) @ D4.1)
  3. Titliest TSR3 18º w/ Fujikura Ventus Black TR 8X
  4. Titleist TSR2 21º w/ Fujikura Speeder EVO VII 757X
  5. Artisan HC 4-iron (23º) w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI
  6. Artisan MB 5-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (26º)
  7. Artisan MB 6-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI(30º)
  8. Artisan MB 7-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (34º)
  9. Artisan MB 8-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (38º)
  10. Artisan MB 9-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (42º)
  11. Artisan S grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (46.5º)
  12. Artisan S grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (51º)
  13. Artisan DS grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (56º)
  14. WM Tiger replica w/ Fujikura MC X-firm putter shaft & Ping grip (E1 @ 34 3/8")

2 hours ago, Albatross Dreamer said:

Maybe they see a lot of people playing the 16.5 as a more lofted version of a 15 and that's why they did it. It's not like irons where people would have a 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 wood so does length really matter vs what the person hits best?

Totally agree. Shorter shaft for most usually means better contact and more smash factor. Whatever works for you! 

1. Titleist TSR4 9º w/ Fujikura Ventus Black TR 6X (A1) (Swing weight: D4)
  2. Titleist TSR2 15º w/ MCA Tensei Blue CK Pro Prototype 80TX (D1 setting) (43" (-4 weight) @ D4.1)
  3. Titliest TSR3 18º w/ Fujikura Ventus Black TR 8X
  4. Titleist TSR2 21º w/ Fujikura Speeder EVO VII 757X
  5. Artisan HC 4-iron (23º) w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI
  6. Artisan MB 5-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (26º)
  7. Artisan MB 6-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI(30º)
  8. Artisan MB 7-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (34º)
  9. Artisan MB 8-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (38º)
  10. Artisan MB 9-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (42º)
  11. Artisan S grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (46.5º)
  12. Artisan S grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (51º)
  13. Artisan DS grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (56º)
  14. WM Tiger replica w/ Fujikura MC X-firm putter shaft & Ping grip (E1 @ 34 3/8")

6 hours ago, Wardonation said:

I ordered mine 42.5" at D4 swing weight. I am hopeful Titleist will make these specs right for me, we will see.

Mine came in at D2 but I can fix it once I hit it on the range and see. My tsi2 head is 215g and the tsr2 is 209. I need to see how to get a weight kit incase I need to add the 15g weight over the 11 it currently has

Took the TSR3 driver out for the first time for a quick 3 holes last night, playing it the same as the TSI3 except lofted up to 10.75 versus the 10 I was playing. Wasn't expecting much difference in performance and mostly was trying to get comfortable before playing with my brother in law this weekend. The results were surprising in that I put together my best string of drivers to start the course.

First hole wasn't my best contact but still carried in my range of my normal good drives with the TSI3 and that was with it rolling/kicking off of the fairway to the right into some thick rough. Second hole, leaked a little right but still found the fairway and was my longest drive on that hole by 15 yards. Third hole, I put it perfectly down the middle with my longest carry on that hole. 

Verdict: Very surprised by how much of an improvement I found in the TSR3 over the TSI3 out on the course. Not sure why but hitting on a simulator throws me off a bunch so despite not seeing much of difference on the sim, I am seeing a big difference out on the course on a very small sample size. 16.5 TSR2 will be here Friday so looking forward to gaming 18 with it and the driver come Saturday. Will post an update if anything notable.

Last note, the one major difference I found is the TSR3 provides a lot more feedback on where you strike the ball over the TSI3 in my experience. You instantly know when you hit it off the sweet spot because you can feel the ball explode off the face. Didn't really every get that feeling with the TSI3.

11 hours ago, mizunoMP14 said:

It seems odd that they have them all at 43" and the 16.5 is the only one with a more upright lie angle.  It would make sense that it would be 42.5 with that change in lie angle. 

image.png.9dbf74e414dd3639f8b6358d85f772b2.png

that's interesting, only half a degree so unlikely to make a tangible difference but still, wonder why the difference

I went into Scheels All Sports last night to try the drivers a bit on their trackman.  Cold off the street after work.  I was surprised to see they had the TSR4 in 10*.  They don't typically have anything too demanding on their shelves.  But, I was able to try the 4 and 3 which are the two models I am really focusing on.  Surprisingly, the spin on the 4 was kind of high.  Was in the high 2k low 3k range with it.  I play a fade so figured maybe I was just cutting across it too much.  I moved the heavy weight back and spin dropped.  I suspect what I was seeing was my miss being a mm or two low and heel side.  The spin was kind of not what I was expecting.  Didn't have high hopes when I got the 3 in my hands after seeing that.  But, spin dropped even more.  Smash was up. Ball speed jumped and carry was up a good 12 yards.  So, my assumption is the 3 is just more forgiving. The punishment for missing a mm or 2 isn't as drastic and kept spin more consistent.  So, the TSR3 will be the one if I get into this line.  

I had the opportunity to hit a couple balls with the TSR3 3w.  It's a sexy club.  But, am I crazy or is it a slightly different shape than the TSi3 3w?  I had one very briefly in the off season last year and haven't held one since.  So, could be wrong.  I remember liking the TSi3 more than I liked the new TSR3 3w.  

So... if anyone has any feedback on the new vs the old in the i3/r3 fw I am all ears.  If performance is not that different, I may consider picking up a TSi3 vs the r3 that I was planning on. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

15 minutes ago, radiman said:

I went into Scheels All Sports last night to try the drivers a bit on their trackman.  Cold off the street after work.  I was surprised to see they had the TSR4 in 10*.  They don't typically have anything too demanding on their shelves.  But, I was able to try the 4 and 3 which are the two models I am really focusing on.  Surprisingly, the spin on the 4 was kind of high.  Was in the high 2k low 3k range with it.  I play a fade so figured maybe I was just cutting across it too much.  I moved the heavy weight back and spin dropped.  I suspect what I was seeing was my miss being a mm or two low and heel side.  The spin was kind of not what I was expecting.  Didn't have high hopes when I got the 3 in my hands after seeing that.  But, spin dropped even more.  Smash was up. Ball speed jumped and carry was up a good 12 yards.  So, my assumption is the 3 is just more forgiving. The punishment for missing a mm or 2 isn't as drastic and kept spin more consistent.  So, the TSR3 will be the one if I get into this line.  

I had the opportunity to hit a couple balls with the TSR3 3w.  It's a sexy club.  But, am I crazy or is it a slightly different shape than the TSi3 3w?  I had one very briefly in the off season last year and haven't held one since.  So, could be wrong.  I remember liking the TSi3 more than I liked the new TSR3 3w.  

So... if anyone has any feedback on the new vs the old in the i3/r3 fw I am all ears.  If performance is not that different, I may consider picking up a TSi3 vs the r3 that I was planning on. 

I would not even consider changing my TSi3 3/5, had to go TSR2 for a 7w, love my fairways, first ever Titleist woods.

• Like 1

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

30 minutes ago, Warrick said:

I would not even consider changing my TSi3 3/5, had to go TSR2 for a 7w, love my fairways, first ever Titleist woods.

Has anyone tried these up against the Ping 425 fairway woods? I have these in play now and wondering what difference there is I am sure there is.

32 minutes ago, NZ315 said:

Has anyone tried these up against the Ping 425 fairway woods? I have these in play now and wondering what difference there is I am sure there is.

I have not, but Ping fairways seem much more shallow.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

1 hour ago, NZ315 said:

Fairways havent made a ton of advancements over the last few years. It is mostly about looks and hitting yardages/filling in gaps. The driver is all about how far you can hit it or how far/straight your misses go...and with the technology and the R and D that goes into them, advancements are actually happening.

I personally use Ping woods because they are so stinkin shallow. its basically impossible to not get them flyin' high. I have a TS3 4 wood and cant hit it nearly as well as my G410 3w.

I like golf. A lot.

Wish they would make a tsr3 21 degree….need the weight adjustment out on the toe. 

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Ping Fetch Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

I went into Golf Galaxy to check out the TSR line in the flesh. I hit the TSR4 to start just because they had the exact shaft and head I would have ordered if I were to buy off the rack that day. Misses were definitely diving low and left and then I hit the TSR2 and was pretty impressed. I was swinging around 110 and ball speed was in the mid 160's. Smash only dropped down to 1.48 on heal strikes. Spin was consistently 2,100-2,200. 

I swing up on the ball 4-5 degrees  and about 8 degrees from the inside so my miss is typically a block or a hook depending on how well I'm controlling the face that day. I want to go back with my TSi3 to see if I see any big improvements but I was impressed with how low it spun and how little the smash factor dropped on strikes that weren't perfectly out of the middle. 

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | P-UDI 2 |  ZX7 MKII 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

2 hours ago, NZ315 said:

I have a FW fitting tomorrow. I am wanting to get away from my 425 as I feel it’s too shallow. 

Titleist TSR4 Ventus Black 6X

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 Wood Ventus Black 8X

TaylorMade UDI 3 20* KBS Tour Proto Hybrid 95X

Ping i230 4-PW Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 50,54,58

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

3 hours ago, radiman said:

I think the biggest visual difference between the TSr and TSi fairways are the full face groves on the R.  The TSi fairways took a nice jump from previous models for me.  Distance from i to r was splitting hairs for me except that I was able to go one slot towards the toe T1 and in the flat B1 setting to dial in a little more accuracy.   

If visually the i suits you better save the $50 to put it towards one of the 4-5 drivers you'll buy in 2023.  😀

• Haha 2

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

8 minutes ago, getair23 said:

I think the biggest visual difference between the TSr and TSi fairways are the full face groves on the R.  The TSi fairways took a nice jump from previous models for me.  Distance from i to r was splitting hairs for me except that I was able to go one slot towards the toe T1 and in the flat B1 setting to dial in a little more accuracy.   

If visually the i suits you better save the $50 to put it towards one of the 4-5 drivers you'll buy in 2023.  😀

lol. See you get me haha. It’s more the head shape though. I didn’t get the warm fuzzies that the tsi gave me last night. Seemed more rounded or bulbous than I remember the 3 being. I’m admittedly a head case when it comes to the fairway woods. If it doesn’t look perfect I just can’t do it. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

32 minutes ago, getair23 said:

That’s what I like the most I guess, for me it frames the ball so much better than the TSi fairways did, it’s why I stuck with my 917.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

12 minutes ago, radiman said:

lol. See you get me haha. It’s more the head shape though. I didn’t get the warm fuzzies that the tsi gave me last night. Seemed more rounded or bulbous than I remember the 3 being. I’m admittedly a head case when it comes to the fairway woods. If it doesn’t look perfect I just can’t do it. 

Face length was increased a hair in the new TSr3 fw line to give it more of a pear shape as requested by the tour guys.  My interpretation of that is, "Hey designer guy we like the current Tsi keep it simple and don't f-up a good thing."  The TSr2 fw's are supposed to look more modern with better cg than the last version.  

I'm with you on it has to look perfect. There were a few exceptions during my college years.  Story for another day.   Inside vs. on course have also pled tricks on me, fairway woods and coeds. 

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

Well, maybe first time out with the TSR2/ ADUB combo was just me feeling it out, because for 9 today, I hit 6/7 fairways and was hitting it about where I was midsummer with STZ220. Also was playing a tee back from normal. Soooooo.... yeah I'm kind of obsessed with it haha. 

• Like 4

WITB:

Ai Smoke Max 9* Tensei 1k Blue

Ai Smoke Max 5w Ventus Blue +

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping Blueprints S 5-P Modus 105S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Tour X

2 hours ago, JourdanM said:

Well, maybe first time out with the TSR2/ ADUB combo was just me feeling it out, because for 9 today, I hit 6/7 fairways and was hitting it about where I was midsummer with STZ220. Also was playing a tee back from normal. Soooooo.... yeah I'm kind of obsessed with it haha. 

UB is worth the money.

• Like 3

I tried the TSR3 demo a couple of weeks ago and was crushing it with the stock HZRDUS. Ordered one on the spot and it arrived today. I jumped on the launch monitor and could not duplicate those numbers. I grabbed my G425 LST to see if it was me or the club. The G425 was a lot longer, straighter and with less spin.

I'm not trying to turn this into a debate, I don't know what happened. Luckily I didn't have to take the Titleist and with how popular they are, it shouldn't sit on the rack very long.

Club heads are like snowflakes, no two are the same.

1 hour ago, larciel said:

UB is worth the money.

I got a great price on it and I'm thrilled. It feels outstanding 

• Like 1

WITB:

Ai Smoke Max 9* Tensei 1k Blue

Ai Smoke Max 5w Ventus Blue +

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping Blueprints S 5-P Modus 105S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Tour X

6 hours ago, TomBomb51 said:

Fairways havent made a ton of advancements over the last few years. It is mostly about looks and hitting yardages/filling in gaps. The driver is all about how far you can hit it or how far/straight your misses go...and with the technology and the R and D that goes into them, advancements are actually happening.

I personally use Ping woods because they are so stinkin shallow. its basically impossible to not get them flyin' high. I have a TS3 4 wood and cant hit it nearly as well as my G410 3w.

Got STZ 3wood and 425 7wood both are money clubs for me. It’s gonna take a lot to get these out of the bag. If anything just upgrade each to the newer model coming out. Maybe? 
I do agree the 425 fairway is super easy to launch for sure.

Had my first 9 today with the TSR3 driver and it was great so far. Sound and feel were great can’t complain there. Got a match tomorrow morning at Sken. We will see

• Like 1

Real world experience:  got my hands on the TSR3 w/stock Tensei Blue.  At the end of my initial testing, I did a shoot out between that and my 917D2.  Four swings each, I averaged 7 yards more carry and 8 yards total with the TSR3, as measured on an HD simulator.  Used the same Sure Fit setting for both, didn’t really try to dial it in any more than that, as I was simply wanting to compare apples to apples on that front.

Tomorrow I’m going to try to optimize my numbers a little more by trying different hosel settings and back weight placements.  Will report back. 🏌️♂️

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

6 hours ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

I have a FW fitting tomorrow. I am wanting to get away from my 425 as I feel it’s too shallow. 

For me the ping fairway woods are not really a backup off the tee but killer off the deck. I really got to tee it low for my tee shots. That’s why I got a deeper face on my 3wood

• easyyy unfeatured this topic