Is pro golf hard on the body physically?

vbb

On 6/29/2022 at 6:13 PM, amace04 said:

No argument to be made.

When's the last time you've seen a golfer snap their humerus by simply swinging a club?  Baseball is incredibly taxing on your body.   Then add in the sprinting, you've got the best of both worlds - athletic injuries from sprinting/cutting/etc, trauma injuries (hit by pitch, extreme stress on bones/joints/etc) and repetitive stress injuries (swinging/pitching, Tommy John, Obliques, etc. are super common)

Golf is nowhere near as taxing on the body as baseball.

Yeah I won't be clicking on that vid

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jonsnow said:

No, but that 3,000 ft elevation change was uphill both ways. He forgot to note that. 

This hike is described as uphill both ways. While there's a LOT of uphill on the way out, on the way back you're re-climbing some of the many descents on the way out, so getting back to your car after making it to the top of the mountain is hell. 

https://modernhiker.com/hike/hike-el-cajon-mountain/

Nearly killed me. I probably only survived due to the promise of beer at the end and knowing that I'm too damn big for my friends to carry me out. 

• Haha 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

Pro golf isn't as physically demanding as things like pro tennis or baseball and obviously football or MMA, but the golf swing certainly puts a lot of stress on the body especially considering how much pro golfers tend to practice. Also typically a pro golf career is much longer than other more physically demanding sports so it's certainly a war of attrition on the body.

On 7/5/2022 at 5:19 PM, betarhoalphadelta said:

This hike is described as uphill both ways. While there's a LOT of uphill on the way out, on the way back you're re-climbing some of the many descents on the way out, so getting back to your car after making it to the top of the mountain is hell. 

https://modernhiker.com/hike/hike-el-cajon-mountain/

Nearly killed me. I probably only survived due to the promise of beer at the end and knowing that I'm too damn big for my friends to carry me out. 

You reminded me this Netflix docu, The Alpinist. This guy Marc Andre Leclerc. Even amongst climbers he a total outlier. Did solo climbs even top climbers like, he did whaaaat?!

Here he is climbin frozen waterfalls with just pick things. It’s insane!

2089408C-7504-4E83-9666-3B22C2B089F4.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

You reminded me this Netflix docu, The Alpinist. This guy Marc Andre Leclerc. Even amongst climbers he a total outlier. Did solo climbs even top climbers like, he did whaaaat?!

He also died on a mountain in his mid 20s.

• Like 1

I carried in 100+ heat Tuesday ... and it was a MOIST heat ... that was hard on the body ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

2 minutes ago, tatertot said:

I carried in 100+ heat Tuesday ... and it was a MOIST heat ... that was hard on the body ...

Humidity is much worse than heat. We've been having upper 90s to low 100s here the last couple of weeks but humidity wasn't so bad; yesterday the high was about 91, I think, but humidity was much higher. I did some work outside when I got home & it was miserable. Still feeling it today.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

I was trying to spare everyone the spoiler ; )

Mt Everest is strewn with the bodies of formerly highly motivated people.

Be lazy. 😂

• Haha 4

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

3 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Seriously? One hard stroll on a long trail and I remind you of an extreme free-climber? You're easily impressed! 😂

50 minutes ago, jonsnow said:

After my wedding in 1980, I learned a lot about marriage the same way avalanche victims learn a lot about snow...

I've had an idea for a parenting book.

Title: I Knew Everything About Fatherhood

Sub-title: Before I Had Kids

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

1 hour ago, ALIF said:

If you really feel like this about doctors, then when the emergency department calls me at 1:30 in the morning because you have an open ankle fracture I’ll tell them I don’t feel like coming in to fix it because I’m just feeling lazy and I need several more hours of sleep. However,  I’ll come in later on the next day to perform the below the knee amputation instead. People walk pretty well with a prosthetic leg. Lol. Only downside is you have to put your leg on in the middle of the night if you need to go to the bathroom. 

Well we found out pretty quick who the doctors are on this board!  Thank you for not being part of the “most”. For every ER doc and exhausted surgeon there are 100 others wheeling themselves around in their office, 20 minutes late to pretend to listen to heartbeats and look in ears on while their PA’s do most of the work. At lunchtime it’s BJ time from some pharma rep and another 40 minutes added to the backup. But don’t worry they’ll miscode the visit and you can spend the next 5 weeks on the phone with your insurance company fighting over the turn and cough that got recorded as a $2550 hysterectomy. Come back in 6 months whydontchya.

Some of y’all are real heroes, I thank you for that. A lot of docs are just overeducated gardeners though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, golfandfishing said:

Well we found out pretty quick who the doctors are on this board!  Thank you for not being part of the “most”. For every ER doc and exhausted surgeon there are 100 others wheeling themselves around in their office, 20 minutes late to pretend to listen to heartbeats and look in ears on while their PA’s do most of the work. At lunchtime it’s BJ time from some pharma rep and another 40 minutes added to the backup. But don’t worry they’ll miscode the visit and you can spend the next 5 weeks on the phone with your insurance company fighting over the turn and cough that got recorded as a $2550 hysterectomy. Come back in 6 months whydontchya.

Some of y’all are real heroes, I thank you for that. A lot of docs are just overeducated gardeners though. 

How do you feel about lawyers?

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, golfandfishing said:

#jaded#getoffmylawn.

• Like 1

$$$$

It would be interesting to equate distance vrs injuries of a particular age group. 

Not just the young long hitters today. I follow Hal Sutton on twitter and had both hips replaced. He had a pretty strong core. Tom Watson always swung in a barrel to protect his back. 

If I have another tee time in post life I might not carry a bag for 18 holes everyday. We were young. We could handle the reverse C position. It was cool to carry. 
I would’ve got a rickety old pull cart. 

Yes it's hard physically for tour pros.  I have a client/buddy of mine that I train who's on the Mackenzie Tour.  These guys workout 3-5 days a week, plus all the reps they put in on the range/practice area, the multiple rounds they play on a weekly basis and travel.  We are also working on speed training as well.  I own a fitness/wellness business and besides the work outs, he comes in regularly to get treatment by my in house PT and massage therapist.  We're hoping that he plays well enough when Q-school happens so he can gain some sort of status to play on the Korn Ferry Tour next season. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

21 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Yes it's hard physically for tour pros.  I have a client/buddy of mine that I train who's on the Mackenzie Tour.  These guys workout 3-5 days a week, plus all the reps they put in on the range/practice area, the multiple rounds they play on a weekly basis and travel.  We are also working on speed training as well.  I own a fitness/wellness business and besides the work outs, he comes in regularly to get treatment by my in house PT and massage therapist.  We're hoping that he plays well enough when Q-school happens so he can gain some sort of status to play on the Korn Ferry Tour next season. 

Sigh, that is a great life!  Workout and play golf, I would have loved to have been able to do that!  Does this guy have a regular job also?  LOL when I was in my prime such as it was I worked out, ran, played golf, basketball and softball in addition to commuting and holding down a job.  Just like lots of folks here do or have done.  LOL obviously what us ams do is just a bit different then trying to make money at a sport though.  Lots of stress trying to make a living at it...  Anyway I wish your friend the best and I hope that he makes it to the show!

• Like 1

Just now, Nels55 said:

Sigh, that is a great life!  Workout and play golf, I would have loved to have been able to do that!  Does this guy have a regular job also?  LOL when I was in my prime such as it was I worked out, ran, played golf, basketball and softball in addition to commuting and holding down a job.  Just like lots of folks here do or have done.  LOL obviously what us ams do is just a bit different then trying to make money at a sport though.  Lots of stress trying to make a living at it...  Anyway I wish your friend the best and I hope that he makes it to the show!

He has a very charmed life.  Let's just say his father bought one of the properties/buildings here in downtown LA.  He passed down the property to his two kids and they are now collecting rent on it so technically he's never had to work a day in his life.  He was a Navy Seal though. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2