2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ping i230 pic

jwo

I don't know. The i230's look wonderful, but that toe screw has me worried. 

Looks like they are going in a slightly new direction - replacing the inserts with some kind of hollow-body "Speedfoam" construction. 

Ping has some experience with this construction, obviously...

But, I'd give it a couple of iterations before they hit on the perfect design.

i250's (or whatever) will be the club to buy. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

14 minutes ago, jholz said:

Looks like they are going in a slightly new direction - replacing the inserts with some kind of hollow-body "Speedfoam" construction. 

At this rate those will be out in 2030. 

the i210 lifespan was probably way longer than they originally planned though 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, toddyc said:

At this rate those will be out in 2030. 

the i210 lifespan was probably way longer than they originally planned though 

Yes, of course. And I'm not trying to say that the i230's are going to be bad. I'm sure they will be a fine club that many golfers use effectively and come to love. 

It's also possible that Ping caught lightening in a bottle and the i230's will be the best irons Ping has ever produced. Anything is possible. 

But, I'd wager $10 (that amount is a genuine reflection of my surety) that the i230's are not going to be a "storied design."

If you track me down in about five years and can prove me wrong, I'll happily send you a money order. 😀

Edited by jholz
  • Like 1

or
or

3 hours ago, jholz said:

If they put a toe screw there, two things come to mind:

1. They know people like you will object

2. They don't care because it has a purpose

Ping is still an engineering company at heart. They're not blind to aesthetics, but they are a definite back seat. That's why I'm not deviating from them.

The only thing I'm waiting on is whether MMTs will be stock. If they are, I can buy them here in NZ without much problem. If they're not stock, I'll have to get them made in the US because it'll be vastly cheaper.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

11 hours ago, maowv said:

Are these hollow construction in some capacity?

If not, then why the screw?

Other than, it does not appear that any golf club can be manufactured these days without a screw included somewhere.

My only guess is that it's a cheaper and easier way to place weight in what is otherwise a solid part of the golf club. 

Srixon ZX7 does this so much better. 

Srixon ZX7 Irons Review - Golfalot

• Like 3

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

9 hours ago, Notashank said:

I love the new grooves. 

They look so good! I always loved the look of it in the Nike irons, I think it was the VR Pro range where they introduced it.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

2 hours ago, Notashank said:

The way ping does it they can control the head weight by heavier or lighter screws. Srixon can’t. Ping wins. 

Even better, they dont just control the headweight, because that can be done with tipweights (or lead tape), but with the screws they can adjust the headweight and mitigate changes to the COG and moi better than the other methods.

• Like 4

I'm no engineer, however the ability to use toe screws and hosel weights overtook the requirement of ping to have the tungsten plugs, didn't it?

Seems like they just made it where they don't need multiple head weights, they can just more easily adjust head weight without changing the club itself.  

On a less serious note...since we're talking screws, where are all the PXG people?  🤔

I won't be getting these, however Ping makes the best stuff, and now the looks are matching up to the performance.  The current lineup is strong....BP, i59, i230, i525, G425.

If you can't find your iron set in there....maybe pickleball is more your speed...

Shaft choices continue to be a weak spot, however not everyone wants to/needs to go exotic/custom.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

38 minutes ago, WarEagleGolf said:

I'm no engineer, however the ability to use toe screws and hosel weights overtook the requirement of ping to have the tungsten plugs, didn't it?

Seems like they just made it where they don't need multiple head weights, they can just more easily adjust head weight without changing the club itself.  

On a less serious note...since we're talking screws, where are all the PXG people?  🤔

I won't be getting these, however Ping makes the best stuff, and now the looks are matching up to the performance.  The current lineup is strong....BP, i59, i230, i525, G425.

If you can't find your iron set in there....maybe pickleball is more your speed...

Shaft choices continue to be a weak spot, however not everyone wants to/needs to go exotic/custom.  

The way I understand - the toe & hosel weighing is designed for max MOI - regardless of what shaft/grip/length/swing weight you request. I don't necessarily think it's a replacement for the tungsten weighting. Now that said,  I think it allows Ping to move perimeter weighting into other areas - ie keeping the weight hosel oriented 

Edited by animalgolfs

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

38 minutes ago, WarEagleGolf said:

The toe screws didn't just replace tungsten plugs. Ping would use the badges and the elastomer "toaster" inserts to change swingweight (which the screws can also be used for). 

I'm not sure the screw is "better" from a pure MOI perspective compared to something like ZX7's, t100's, even what Vokey does with tungsten, but it's certainly more flexible for changing swingweight. 

1 hour ago, animalgolfs said:

The way I understand - the toe & hosel weighing is designed for max MOI - regardless of what shaft/grip/length/swing weight you request. I don't necessarily think it's a replacement for the tungsten weighting. Now that said,  I think it allows Ping to move perimeter weighting into other areas - ie keeping the weight hosel oriented 

I'm with you....being in the hosel and toe allows adjustments to not affect the MOI all while changing weight?

Does that sound like a more accurate statement than my first?

Also, for the dirt folks ...let me just say, dirt in the toe weight is the least of your worries....why? Because those tiny extra grooves are a b#$#h to clean.  I got a grooveit ..works great, doesn't scratch the club.  Cleaning with just a towel is not quite enough for these and tees don't really fit down there.  

But boy...do those grooves really work.  I'm getting more spin and same distance with the 525 + higher flight with the long irons.  Magic?  Honeymoon phase?  No idea...but it's money...

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

Just for clarity, and to specifically outline my objections to the i230 toe screw, allow me to offer this...

First, I don't know what the purpose of the toe screw is. I don't know anything about the overall design of the i230. I've just seen the photos here on WRX.

So, my trepidation may be unfounded. I'm happy to be proven wrong.

But, that toe screw has me worried.

That screw could just be there for weight distribution. If that's the case, I don't have a problem with it.

But, it could also be hiding a port to a hollow body lower half of the iron. If that's the case, then I get worried.

That would be a pretty significant design departure - both from the previous model and in terms of overall iron design. As a result, I don't think the first iteration of that design will be the best. It almost always takes a few product cycles to perfect a new design approach.

Folks might point to the S59's as a first generation Ping design that was very good - but they'd already tested the S59 technology in their wedges for several years.

But, it took until the S55's before they hit on the magic formula again.

So, the i230 could be a wonderful iron, but I'm not predicting it to be the 2nd coming just yet.

• Confused 1

or
or

1 hour ago, WarEagleGolf said:

Amen and War Eagle!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, golffeen007 said:

Why are people acting like this is the first Ping design with a toe screw? If it didn’t serve a valid purpose , you think they would add it for aesthetic purposes. I think not. When you can use one headweight and adjust swingweight and slightly alter moi without having to breakdown the entire club or adding lead tape, it’s a pretty brilliant concept.  It may not look the best to all the purest , but as a consumer , I buy products that work, not just something that looks good in my bag.  

Cool. I don't think we disagree.

As such, I'm left to surmise that you have not read my post, or that you've overlooked the nuance of my argument.

So, you're arguing against nothing here.

Just to sum up....

If it's a weight distribution issue - I have no problem with the screw. If it's a hollow body design - then I have problems with the screw.

Just one man's curmudgeonly opinion.  

• Like 1

or
or

11 minutes ago, jholz said:

As such, I'm left to surmise that you have not read my post, or that you've overlooked the nuance of my argument.

Just to sum up....

If it's a weight distribution issue - I have no problem with the screw. If it's a hollow body design - then I have problems with the screw.

No argument here. I read and understand your analogy.  Just blows my mind with all the hoopla of speculation. It’s an iron design , if people don’t like it , move onto something that you do like.
I very seriously doubt Ping makes vast changes to the Cult iron in the stable. I’m not sure you’ve read what Cink said , check it out if not. May bring some clarity to the hollow idea. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, golffeen007 said:

No argument here. I read and understand your analogy.  Just blows my mind with all the hoopla of speculation. It’s an iron design , if people don’t like it , move onto something that you do like.
I very seriously doubt Ping makes vast changes to the Cult iron in the stable. I’m not sure you’ve read what Cink said , check it out if not. May bring some clarity to the hollow idea. 

I really have no stake in this whatsoever. I think you may be lumping me in with others, or are confusing me with someone else. I can't think of a single analogy that I have made, nor do I believe that I've said anything directly disparaging about the i230's. I've been conciliatory and have even openly disparaged my own opinions. So, no beef on my end.

I'm just here to discuss golf clubs and golf club designs.

And really...OEMs mess with "cult" designs all the time. That's why "cult" irons exist.

Just a few examples:

Titleist 905R to 907 D1/2

Ping S59 to S58

TM 300 Forged to RAC LT

Ping i25 to iE1

The list goes on and on and on and on and on and on... not every product cycle results in improvement. It's a fact of life.

So, the jury will remain out on the i230's for some time to come. In a couple of years, we will know how truly great they may or may not be.

Until then, it's all just people talking about golf clubs.

• Like 2

or
or

2 minutes ago, jholz said:

I really have no stake in this whatsoever. I think you may be lumping me in with others, or are confusing me with someone else. I can't think of a single analogy that I have made, nor do I believe that I've said anything directly disparaging about the i230's. I've been conciliatory and have even openly disparaged my own opinions. So, no beef on my end.

I'm just here to discuss golf clubs and golf club designs.

And really...OEMs mess with "cult" designs all the time. That's why "cult" irons exist.

Just a few examples:

Titleist 905R to 907 D1/2

Ping S59 to S58

TM 300 Forged to RAC LT

Ping i25 to iE1

The list goes on and on and on and on and on and on... not every product cycle results in improvement. It's a fact of life.

So, the jury will remain out on the i230's for some time to come. In a couple of years, we will know how truly great they may or may not be.

Until then, it's all just people talking about golf clubs.

Exactly. People act like ping have never made mistakes before.

not saying the i230 is at all obviously. It probably is excellent but the i500 looked excellent too and wasn’t a big hit

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jholz said:

Just to sum up....

The i230 is not a hollow body. The i525 is. No pga tour pro is going to play hollow body irons. If they do it’s just one long iron.  And why would it bother you. The ping engineers know what they are doing. And if it is hollow and the screw scared you, How would you design it to ease your fears?    

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Notashank said:

I'm not sure how I've become the target of ire in this thread, but it's highly confusing and rather off putting.

I do apologize for becoming involved.

Edited by jholz
  • Like 1

or
or