2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ping i230 pic

jwo

1 hour ago, golffeen007 said:

The i59’s didn’t quite work out they way. Higher flight ,more spin than their counterparts. Different design of course , but extra grooves will retain more spin not less. 

Correct. I mean they added more grooves because the head produces less spin with the standard ones.  They needed the extra grooves to create more.  

It seems like more and more are doing the less spin for the extra distance and reverse engineering to pick up spin where they can. A la Zx7. 

Edited by Minarets
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

It's this picture that makes it either look like the whole thing is one piece, or there's a flanged cover.

168C66D2-E711-4754-B0D7-55AB0EE673DD.webp

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

2 hours ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:
New Ping 2023 putters coming in September. Price is $279 for all models. Preorder starts 9/13

Expect an i210 replacement in Q4 this year. No details on availability and pricing yet.

Woods and new G irons are spring '23.

That's all I got and it is subject to supply chain issues and whether PING follows this timeline or pushes it out.

My local fitter indicated fitting heads available in August.  Not sure this will happen, but I sure hope so.

Straight into my bag if these test/review better than my i210. Things are sexy.

• Like 2

Titleist TSI3 Fuji Ventus Blue TR 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 15* Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7X

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19* Graphite Design AD DI Hybrid 85x 

Ping i210 4-PW Nippon Modus 120X

Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 8F 56* 10S 60* 8M DG S300

Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5 BGT LE Stability Shaft

Titleist Prov1x

Hattons 8i has some cosmetic markings on the backplate, though he does toss he stuff around like my 1,5 yo so no wonder.

Still a bit concerning for us the players that hope to keep these irons in play for 5+ years. It seems like the shiny strip has some type of rubber topcoat that isn't that durable, could it have originated already in production as both these are 8 irons?

Also it seems like the gap between the body and the backplate has a gap that will take in sand and water..

1510264875_Hattons8backplatedamage.jpg.4a507fa9a564d5b56561e6d5a1edde2e.jpg

Cinks 8i also has a similar marking on the backplate.

image.png.6bf6baaec7ad807559c231580e02c4ed.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

G430 Max 10K Hzrdus RDX Red 60 / Ping G430 Max 5fw KBS TD 70 / Titleist TSi2 4Hy  Tensei CK Pro Orange 80HY 

Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 120 / Cleveland RTX2.0 50° DG S200 / Ping Glide3.0 56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide4.0 60° DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5 Stability Tour / Titleist ProV1x

5 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

Hattons 8i has some cosmetic markings on the backplate, though he does toss he stuff around like my 1,5 yo so no wonder.

Still a bit concerning for us the players that hope to keep these irons in play for 5+ years. It seems like the shiny strip has some type of rubber topcoat that isn't that durable, could it have originated already in production as both these are 8 irons?

Also it seems like the gap between the body and the backplate has a gap that will take in sand and water..

@Hedgehog, the wear on the badge looks very similar to what you can see on the i210 insert. I got a little too aggressive cleaning some i210s and hit the insert with a bit of Acetone and started to see the same type of wear on the coat. I guess since the i210 inserts are smaller and sit deeper in the cavity, it is less likely to see that kind of wear.

The sadder part for me on this is that it appears the whole badge is made of or covered in the material that the i210 insert is covered in which I think may be a coated aluminum or some softer metal.

If I dig my fingernail into the insert on an i210 it will leave an impression that doesn't bounce back which makes me feel like it does have a metal cover with some sort of coating. 

• Like 1

Just a guess but I am going to say that the cavity "insert" isn't actually an insert to just the cavity but is the back portion of the aluminum face insert. 

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Adila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood 16* - LinQ Purple 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 18/19* Hybrid  HZRDUS Smoke Gray 

Mizuno Pro 243 with modus 120S

Mizuno T24 50 and 56 S400
Bettinardi Queen B

8 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

I hope I’m wrong , but I’ve got a bad feeling this badge design is going to age very prematurely. 

1 hour ago, tigerfan23 said:

These aren't going to be hollow are they?

The definition of hollow gets a bit fuzzy. If the backplate is all solid material then is the i230 hollow? What about the i210 and that massive cavity carved out of the metal filled with the elastomer insert, is that a hollow club head with an elastomer filling?

I tend to think of hollow as meaning that the interior of the club has a significant volume of open airspace. In that scenario I'm leaning towards thinking these will not be hollow as it appears the back badge will fill that space. It's a 2 or even 3 piece (if you count the toe plug) design. 

17 minutes ago, jwb10 said:

I assume they are hollow. They also look to be about the same size and configuration as I-210. I hope the they don't feel like the 500 series, as that was what made the 200s (feel) better. Anyone know ?

Funny thing is, from 2018-2021 a lot of non-Ping lovers would say the i200-210's don't feel good because they are made out of cast stainless steel. 

The main driver of poor feel IMO is when companies chase ball speed by making clubs, specifically the faces, out of harder and harder materials that they can make thinner and thinner. We don't know materials yet but I would expect that Ping will have added at least a smidge of juice to the i230. I know there are a lot of purists out there who just want standard lofts, spin and distances but those clubs get shredded in comparisons and don't sell. Mizuno has been adding more "chromoloy" to their low handicap irons like the new 223's. Titleist juiced up the T100 a little bit to give it a ballspeed bump compared to the AP2. Otherwise there is nothing left to really say these new clubs are any better than what they are replacing.

I'm hoping for a 3-5 yard improvement with the 7 iron with firm, solid feel and a slight reduction in spin numbers. I would be shocked if distance went down or spin went up. I think that would be a death knell to this new product. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, RacineBoxer said:

Funny thing is, from 2018-2021 a lot of non-Ping lovers would say the i200-210's don't feel good because they are made out of cast stainless steel. 

The main driver of poor feel IMO is when companies chase ball speed by making clubs, specifically the faces, out of harder and harder materials that they can make thinner and thinner. We don't know materials yet but I would expect that Ping will have added at least a smidge of juice to the i230. I know there are a lot of purists out there who just want standard lofts, spin and distances but those clubs get shredded in comparisons and don't sell. Mizuno has been adding more "chromoloy" to their low handicap irons like the new 223's. Titleist juiced up the T100 a little bit to give it a ballspeed bump compared to the AP2. Otherwise there is nothing left to really say these new clubs are any better than what they are replacing.

I'm hoping for a 3-5 yard improvement with the 7 iron with firm, solid feel and a slight reduction in spin numbers. I would be shocked if distance went down or spin went up. I think that would be a death knell to this new product. 

Just looking at the design , I doubt Ping had lower spin in mind with the i230’s. Looks like higher launch and slightly more spin than the i210’s with the positioning of the weights and the additional grooves. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing as it leads to consistent distance with closer dispersion. Exactly what I saw with my i59’s over the iBlades. 

• Like 1

I agree, don't think they will be trying to lower spin with these. Their designs lately have been geared toward increasing spin and consistency of spin. From what I've seen that's also the feedback they've been getting from their tour staff. They want irons with plenty of spin and consistent spin, no "hot spots". 

• Like 1

I just hope it’s a true cavity and not a hollow head design. Really didn’t care for the i59 and I loved S55 and liked IBlade as well.

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

On 7/6/2022 at 1:22 PM, TiScape said:

Lots of guys definitely love the 210s! How’s Pings turn around these days? Has it gotten any better??

Going on 3 months for my Glide 4.0 60*. I got the 50 and 56 in only 2 months though so…

• Sad 1

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

8 minutes ago, Sef said:

Going on 3 months for my Glide 4.0 60*. I got the 50 and 56 in only 2 months though so…

My 50 and 56 were ordered on 19 April with two different shafts and no grip preference.

Still waiting.........

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

5 hours ago, nova6868 said:

I agree, don't think they will be trying to lower spin with these. Their designs lately have been geared toward increasing spin and consistency of spin. From what I've seen that's also the feedback they've been getting from their tour staff. They want irons with plenty of spin and consistent spin, no "hot spots". 

Maybe. The i59 spins more than the iblade but the i210 spins more than both. The i210 has always been very high spin, that's why I think they might tone it down just a smidge. It's almost an outlier its so high spin. If they strive for compact with super high spin then it'll be questionable why the i59 even exists. From a product range perspective it should probably be a degree or two stronger than the i59, a smidge larger, spin a little less, and go 5 yards further. IMO of course. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chouls19 said:

Hopefully they remain near the same price point as the i210. Ping s pricing has gone crazy 

I think a modest increase over a 2018 price (when i210 came out) is to be expected and tolerated. I just hope they stay well south of i59 pricing

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

3 hours ago, toddyc said:

Yeah anything under 200$ would be reasonable to me at this point

Yeah I think I bought my i210's at $125 each. A modest increase from that isn't going to cut it in 2022 with inflation and the cost of seemingly everything skyrocketing. Anything from $175-200 would be reasonable. 

• Like 2