3 Woods Overrated

BlackHammer

Funny you say this. I’m about to ditch mine and use a 17* UW as my longest non-driver. Just really struggle to make consistently good contact with the 3 wood. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

I’m trying out a sort of 3HL and 5HL setup with my cobras. 16/19 lofts but toying with going a bit further up depending on how it goes. 

Completely agree with your post though, don’t think you’re missing anything 

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

I still have one in the bag and can't imagine not.  I don't use it a ton, but some of my most memorable shots came with it.  The adjustable of the current 3 woods make them so much more versatile.  That said, there are more options than ever if you opt for something other.

I think 3 woods are appropriately rated. Useful for some, not for others. No different than any other fairway or hybrid or driving / long iron.  

• Like 2

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

The requirements to hit a 3 wood are no different than hitting a wedge or any other club in the bag for that matter. Sure there would be a point of diminishing returns when it comes to shaft length affecting ability to strike the ball with leverage but I don't think that 5 ish inches of shaft length on a fairway wood in comparison to a wedge breaches that limit.  If you are paying attention to each shot that you hit and get your low point of your swing arc into the correct orientation (the same location for all shots being hit off the ground) in relation to the ball then hitting a 3 wood is no different than any other.

There is a weird dynamic at both ends of the bag where loft was thought to be forgiving but a 56 degree wedge is "easy" to hit but a 60 or 64 degree with more loft isn't?  This same mental barrier happens at the top end of the bag where most hit a wall at a certain club.  Sure the athlete may hit a swing speed barrier where they don't create enough speed to elevate the shot properly, but I am speaking more in reference to the belief that a given club is "hard" to hit.  The flaw is that most don't understand impact and that creates a belief that certain clubs are overrated in my opinion. 

Edited by Righty to Lefty
  • Like 3

I agree, it's a club that far too many people carry.  Especially poor golfers who don't know much about clubs and automatically think that they need a 3 wood, when they probably need it the least.  A lot of them can't hit driver well so they default to 3 wood off the tee, when shortening their driver would probably be a better route to take.  3 woods are definitely more valuable to the pros, because they have the speed to launch them high and land them softly, and reaching par 5's in two is a huge part of their game.  

I ditched it years ago when I realized how little I was using it, and how badly it was performing when I did use it.  If I need to take 20 yards off of my tee shot, I'd rather take 8 mph off of my driver swing and still have the forgiveness that my driver provides.  Based on my course setup, I'm rarely in a situation where I'm going for a par 5 in two from the fairway, but if I was in that situation, a 5 wood is better for me since I launch the ball on the lower end.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

I go through fits with my driver, where it's literally the worst club in my bag (no joke, better off hitting  a wedge off the tee).  I own a 3+ wood as a substitute off the tee, but I never use it from a fairway lie.   My local course is only 6200 yards, I never find myself needing 270+ to the green from the fairway and my 5/4w generally goes just as far as a normal 3w for me as I get better contact.  I carry 5 wedges instead.  Currently my bag has: D, 5W (lofted up to 4W), 2H, 5i-PW/GW, 56, 60, 64

TaylorMade Stealth+ 8°  - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black

TaylorMade SIM 2 Ti 5w 19° (set to 17°) - Diamana Limited 75 S

TaylorMade SIM UDI 2i - Diamana Thump 90 S

Ping i210 5i-UW - Dynamic Gold S300

TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 56-10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Milled Grind 60-09 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64- - Dynamic Gold Wedge

Ping Craz-e - Ping Karsten w/ Super Stroke Traxion Claw 2.0 grip

On WRX I wouldn't say it's overrated considering the number of people trying different set ups.

In the general population I wouldn't so much say overrated vs maybe overplayed. Many people don't really know about 3HL, 4 or 5 woods to the degree they should, and many people go for the 3 wood thinking they need the distance while not understanding what's needed to launch it. Although it's definitely overrated when looking at online prices of 3 woods vs 5 woods.

For me personally I play one since I have a few courses around me where a shorter distance off the tee makes more sense and my 3w tends to be straighter then my driver. And I like to go for greens, even if it might cost me a stroke here or there.

8 minutes ago, Albatross Dreamer said:

On WRX I wouldn't say it's overrated considering the number of people trying different set ups.

In the general population I wouldn't so much say overrated vs maybe overplayed. Many people don't really know about 3HL, 4 or 5 woods to the degree they should, and many people go for the 3 wood thinking they need the distance while not understanding what's needed to launch it. Although it's definitely overrated when looking at online prices of 3 woods vs 5 woods.

For me personally I play one since I have a few courses around me where a shorter distance off the tee makes more sense and my 3w tends to be straighter then my driver. And I like to go for greens, even if it might cost me a stroke here or there.

I agree with all of this. I think here on GolfWRX, so many people have experimented with different set-ups that the 3W isn’t overrated at all.

I have one in my bag for now, mostly because I like it for control off the tee and I do seem to be very accurate with it vs. driver. I keep flip-flopping between wanting to go 4W/7W at the top of the bag to have two clubs I can really rely on off the deck or strong 3W/5W so I can have a great secondary tee club and then just let the 5W do the heavy lifting off the deck/out of the rough on long shots/etc. The happy medium might end up being 15 degree 3W and 7W lofted down to 20.25*. Lots of experimenting to do.

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

Sorry, I don't agree with this premise. What I do agree with is that you need a club in the 15-17 degree range that you can hit off the tee and fairway comfortably, and for me, with a 95-100 mph driver swing speed, that is now a 3HL (16.5), but for years it was always a 14-15 classic 3. We have a 450 yard par 4 at my club, that from the white tees, unless I nuke it, I am usually left with my 3 Hybrid (19) or my 3 HL (16.5) in my hands. I have hit that green so many times from 220-230+ out it's not even funny (it's a downhill and then uphill to the green shot, so if you hit the hill, it will always bound onto the green), so I don't know what I would do without it. Now, the hole before this par 4 at my course is a 195-220 par 3, slightly uphill. Again, I have hit this green often with what? My 3 HL (16.5). So I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that for mortals vs pros that 3 woods are obsolete. It's all about yardage gaps and what gets you there. I for one, have no issue hitting the HL and am a fairly decent fairway player, partly because I don't try to sweep them. That said, multiple failed experiments with the 5 and 7 wood, and for me (who knows why), I prefer the 19 and 22 hybrid (PING G410, love that I can adjust them and make them flat). BTW - my HL is a Callaway Rogue ST LS 16.5.

• Like 1

A few years ago I was carrying 3W and 5W and over time I felt like I was just as likely if not more likely to hit the 5W further than the 3W (in the air) off the deck while not sacrificing very much off the tee. 

Ended up in the middle and got a 4w at 16.5 degrees and it’s best of both worlds for me. I just don’t swing it fast enough to really maximize a 15 degree 3W consistently from the deck. 

Swing driver at 103-105 max. 

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

3 wood is dead for me. My setup changes depending on the course, but if I need a good tee club with length to hit tight fairways I'll use the Cleveland HiBore XL 2 wood, which is 440cc at 16 degrees of loft. Basically a 3 wood with a driver head. So much more forgiving and easier to launch. If I dont need the length, I'll bag the 5 wood. Just much more versatility and easier to hit off the deck. 

• Like 2

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

I'm playing some of the best golf of my life and still hitting a 3 wood off the deck is one of the hardest shots to pull off solidly.  Hitting off a 5 wood off the deck no problem but I have my A game if I have to do it off the deck.  

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I am not a fan of my 3W but sometimes I might need to hit "alittle" further than my 3 wood can reach.

That being said, I will only take it on a course when I am riding and I am familiar with.

TSR1 10 B1 Diamana ZF 60 R

TSI1 18 C3 Tensei Blue 65 R

TSI1 20 A4 HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.0

2021 T200 4-6 PXi 5.0

AP2 714 7-PW Flighted PX 5.5

SM9 50/54/58 PX 6.0

Scotty CC Newport+ 

49 minutes ago, eric61 said:

I agree with all of this. I think here on GolfWRX, so many people have experimented with different set-ups that the 3W isn’t overrated at all.

I have one in my bag for now, mostly because I like it for control off the tee and I do seem to be very accurate with it vs. driver. I keep flip-flopping between wanting to go 4W/7W at the top of the bag to have two clubs I can really rely on off the deck or strong 3W/5W so I can have a great secondary tee club and then just let the 5W do the heavy lifting off the deck/out of the rough on long shots/etc. The happy medium might end up being 15 degree 3W and 7W lofted down to 20.25*. Lots of experimenting to do.

I've even debating doing a 4w/5w combo. On the surface it might not make sense, but if the clubs are used for different things It could make perfect sense. Especially if I don't really need a 3w and a 7w isn't quite the length that makes sense. For example, could use a "hot" 16.5* (i.e. stealth + if they made 16.5) or turn it down for off the tee for really long shots. Then the 5 wood does most the work off the deck.  Depending on the course someone plays this could make a lot of sense I think.

I'm not going to tell anyone what they should play. It's all up to you.

But, for me, the 3w is, and always has been, one of the most reliable clubs in my bag.

Takes a long time to find one that I like, and some effort to develop a relationship with it, but that effort pays off for me.

Great off the tee for layup holes. Wonderful from the fairway and decent lies in the rough.

Although, if I really need a precision strike - I will defer to a hybrid. I get tighter shot patterns with them.

• Like 2

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

3w is my trusty club. With the variety of courses I play I want those options off the tee. But it’s useful for me, doesn’t mean everyone should use one. 

I used to change my setup a lot depending on what course I was playing, but I’ve gotten to one setup and only change two clubs. Rare change now also. (Also easier on the wallet.)

TM Qi10 (9*) | Speeder Evolution IV 661 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (20*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM TP Soto CB

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

3w for me is a great club when it's dialed in. Currently making a slow to perfect transition from a trusty old friend.

But your point about hitting iron off the tee when you really need to hit a fairway seems ancient. Not sure I've ever seen a hole where my 5 iron 205 off the tee is better than a 3w 250-260 down there.

• Like 1

Titleist TSI2 9.0 Tensei 1k White 50 TX
Ping G430 Max 3w Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 19 Hybrid Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist TSI2 4 Hybrid Tenseit White 90x
Titleist T200 5 Iron PX 6.5

Titleist T100S 6-PW PX 6.5

Vokey SM8 49 PX 6.5 SM8 54 PX 6.5
Taylormade Hi toe 60 KBS tour V 115
Toulon Atlanta 35"

What I've found that now as I've aged (73 now), swing speed has gone down, and I've lost some length that I can't reach most five pars in two. And if I can say with a three wood its gonna take great contact and execution. And I've found that in most cases it brings trouble into play. I started carrying a TM Sim Ti five wood last year and I've noticed a few things. The result has been more consistent strikes, distance and accuracy.  Its allowed me to play to a specific yardage where I'm confident in my wedge play.  The net result has been more easy pars and a fee more birdies. Win, win for me. A really great player (UNC Hall of Famer, Mi Am Champ 5 Times, a few US Opens etc) once asked me how many birdies on five pars I've made with my wedge vs my three wood? Made me re-examine what I was doing, 

Callaway 10.5* Paradym X

TaylorMade 16.5 Stealth HL

Callaway Epic Flash Heavenwood

TaylorMade Stealth Irons 5 thru AW
Vokey SM8 54*/10* S Grind
Vokey SM8 58*/12* K Grind
T.P Mills Custom PN MIng
Odyssey 38" Tank #7 (a work in Progress)