"Why do you use a 2 iron when woods and hybrids go farther, are more forgiving, more versatile, and easier to hit?"

Trippels

I have a 19* 3i built up with a graphite shaft.  I mostly hit it on shorter par 4s where 210-230 off the tee is plenty.  It also gets used a lot for long low runners and out of trouble.  The club is very useful, but it is not great from 210 into a green or out of deeper rough, a hybrid does that job better for sure.  I only play 3 wedges so I just carry both 🤷

• Like 2

21 hours ago, boggyman said:

Calling @Pepperturbo🤣 For whatever reasoning, I prefer the 2 iron to a hybrid. It’s my swing I know, but I’ll hook a hybrid off the planet. I know my swing. Fitter in Florida once handed me his personal hybrid and said it won’t go left, 3rd swing, I said that’s off the planet , he said yep and put it back in his bag.  I can deal with a 5 wood but prefer long irons still. To each their own.

LOL I hear ya.  I've tried many hybrids, all look weird, 5wd is fine too.   The natural look of my 2 iron with 90g HIGH bend composite, goes just as far but with near zippo dispersion.  If fairways are fast, I can get 225-235yds out of it... brings out my gorilla tendencies... 😛  If I want a higher flight, I adjust my address and grip.  The only way I found to keep a hybrid from going left is a TX shaft, but then it's NOT as long.

• Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

2 irons aren’t that hard to hit off the tee. A lot of regular Joe golfers benefit by using them off the tee 

• Like 2

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

6 hours ago, jmcm87 said:

If you play a 2 iron and aren't a low digit/+ hcp you're throwing shots away for the sake of your ego. 

So, hybrids are for people who don’t play so well?

Always suspected as much.

People who don’t play so well, but aspire to, might use a 2 iron, or some other club you think above their level, because they aspire to be better.

Throwing shots away?  Who cares?  If you do, and you think your golf score matters, maybe it’s you who needs to check your ego.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Chicks dig it. 

But seriously, this post is spot on. Trajectory is really the only advantage of a 2-iron, but if you can develop a little stinger shot with a hybrid/FW, you have the best of all worlds.

Titleist TSR3 08.00 – Ventus Red 065x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – Tour AD DI 075x

Titleist TSR2 18.00 – Tour AD DI 085x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – Tour AD DI 095x

Titleist TSR2 24.00 – Tour AD DI 105x

Titleist T100 6i 7i 8i 9i – Tour X100

Titleist SM09 46 50 54 60 – Tour S400

Titleist Pro V1 56 – White Hot OG5 CS

On 6/2/2023 at 11:40 AM, pjc said:

I don't believe that fairway woods and hybrids are easier to hit than a long iron.  Some of the so called "driving irons" these days do help with launch and are forgiving, there are also those that are definitely designed for taking worms heads off.  Gotta be selective for what you want.  I have hit hybrids that refuse to launch up in the air, same goes for fairway woods.

I believe this for real... I think even as a beginner I'd much rather use a driving iron vs a driver/wood. Especially if you're decent at hitting irons

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I've had a 790 driving iron in the bag for a couple years now. Super hot face pretty easy to line up left and hit the little bleeding cut with it. That's something I struggle to do with the hybrid. Honestly I don't feel like the new driving irons are that much more difficult to hit than the hybrids. I do swap it out with an 18* hybrid if the course doesn't call for any tee balls with the DI. 

I'm gonna be completely honest and say that, while I have struggled in the past with fairway woods and hybrids and therefore there was a legitimate call for driving irons, there is also unmistakably an appeal of having the "Hitogami" in the bag. Regardless of whether it was the best club for me. 

Years later I kinda cracked the code on hybrids when I set them up less like OEM hybrid specs and more like iron head replacements, and my fairway wood relationship seems to be mended (I've said that before). So the ZX utility which replaced the aforementioned MP-H5 1-iron is likely out of the bag. But I'm not quite ready to sell it, either. Because of my windy coastal SC location, I need to spend some more time making sure I really can hit a bullet with the G430 that replaced it. 

There's an ego thing for sure, and I think that's true of a lot of players even if they refuse to admit it. 

My 2 iron is 19 degrees Titleist 660 blade.  It is one club behind my 3 wood.  I can hold a green within about 8-12 feet of runout.  I can play it low and still get 245ish off of the tee with it.  The blade gets through the rough with ease if you even a bit steep at impact.  I cannot get a hybrid or 5 wood to do any of these things as well.

If you can play one, you should.  The thread title is not accurate for some folks.  It is a better tool for those who can use it.  None of this is easy and the effort required to do so is probably not worth it for most folks and I would not spend time on 2 iron if you cannot handle wedges or the big dog.

On the stupid side, it does feel incredible when you nut it and/or your playing group cannot believe that you still have one and it works better than their hybrids (in your hands).

• Like 2

On 6/2/2023 at 2:02 PM, Albatross Dreamer said:

Apparently he's slowing down with age, guess a billion plus years will do that to ya. Should start doing some speed training

Or get up off of the throne once in a while HAHA 🤣😂👊🙌

Wilson Dynapwr Driver

Srixon ZX MK II 3 Hybrid

Cleveland Zipcore XL 5 Iron

Srixon ZX4 MK II Irons 6 - P

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 4 - 48, 54, 60

Cleveland HB soft 8 putter 

Srixon Z Star ball

On 6/2/2023 at 12:51 PM, MelloYello said:

I certainly wouldn't use a 2-iron now that my driver SS has fallen to around 105-mph. I simply don't have the juice for it now that I'm closing in on 40yo. 

But there was a time when I did use a 2-iron and felt like I could really stripe it, especially off the tee where it'd get most of it's play.

What I would've said at that point is that the 2-iron is easier to hit straight and much more effortless to control in terms of trajectory and curve. You aren't ever going to hit a 2-iron off the planet no matter how you swing it.

So if you've got the speed, it can be a great control club. It's usually a "fairway finder" for those big hitters who can pipe it 225-250. 

Keep in mind those same guys are not having to use fairway metals or hybrids to get into Par-5s at their local club. They're probably looking at a mid- or long-iron approaches which (with their speed) they have no problem hitting well enough to attack those greens. 

Mello-that's too early to be losing swing speed due to "getting old"! Unless you have an injury or illness, it sounds like something else is going on. You may want to get a physical screen from a PT who has a golf background and see what is going on. There may be a certain muscle group that is underdeveloped for whatever reason or you are losing flexibility (sitting at a computer is a common cause) but that can be easily remedied. As I understand it, loss of flexibility is a far greater cause of lost distance and poor play than loss of strength. I certainly know that was true with me. 

When I took up golf I learned using D, 3wd and a 15' 1 iron, bent to 16', later a 17' 2 iron; never thought about adding an easier club to hit. 

I eventually used a 17' 4 wood or 18' 5 wood (both in storage), but they didn't demand much, so in time I went back to 2 iron, it's been in my bag ever since.  When you learn to consistently strike a 16' or 17' long iron, pure, shorter length clubs benefit too.  Today, at 70+, smacking 2i or 4i pure and on-line is stimulating; that way score takes care of itself.  Thank You technology!

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

I learnt to swing a golf club when hybrids weren't a thing, hence you drifted towards fairway woods or long irons. 

I was a long irons guy back then, and still am. I find them more versatile in terms of the shots you can play, and they seem to fit my swing better. Hence when I have to drop clubs at the top of my bag the hybrid is always first to go. 

• Like 1

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Modern fairway woods stomp all over driving irons. 

And I was a player who went driver, 2i with no fairway woods. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

On 6/3/2023 at 5:23 PM, Chunkitgood said:

So, hybrids are for people who don’t play so well?

Always suspected as much.

People who don’t play so well, but aspire to, might use a 2 iron, or some other club you think above their level, because they aspire to be better.

Throwing shots away?  Who cares?  If you do, and you think your golf score matters, maybe it’s you who needs to check your ego.

I think it’s more about what you like the look with. 

I loath the shape of most hybrids. Only ones I like were the old boxy pro golds from Adams.  Round hybrids look weird and I hit them left. 

I know I am giving up optimal distance and height, what I’m gaining is the bad one aren’t costing me lost ball penalties. 

My buddy, who is my golf equal, carries a 7 wood and 24 hybrid. Great with both. 

We both envy each others clubs. He wishes he could hit a 18 utility, I wish I could make a 7 wood work for me. 

Horses for courses. 

I played driving irons for a few years, 3i blades, 2i blades, even had a retro 1 iron for when I really wanted to show off 

Now I'm 27 years old and my set looks like I'm 80, I play Driver - 3 wood - 5 wood - 4 hybrid at 24.5C - 5 iron 

In my other set I go driver - 5 wood low spin (set to low flight) that mimics a 3 wood - 5 wood that I shoot for greens - 7 wood - 5 iron

I've dumped all the low irons, I play a draw so getting the ball to stop on fast greens is already hard enough. I can almost shank my hybrid and it's still going to go reasonably straight, and even when I absolutely pure it, the hybrid goes higher with more spin

Worth noting that the places I live don't have any crazy windy conditions, and also that my natural ball flight is quite low and penetrating, so playing low irons is suicide anyways

• Like 1

18° 3 iron is just so much straighter than a hybrid. And these modern hollow heads are still pretty easy to launch.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

Is anyone carrying a true 2 iron these days? It is all utility type irons right? 

• Like 2

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X