2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Rahm pulls out of TGL indoor

Maine Golfer

11 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I know this isn't the thread for this and is major off topic.....But i'm in a football thread with a bunch of friends, and i made like 100 perfectly written Goodfellas jokes when Tommy Devito was put in for the Giants the other day----And literally no one got them

I was like where is BSC, he'd get these. 

I was like "Brian Daboll after the game telling Tommy they are gonna make him the starter"

10 More Greatest 'I'm Dead And I Know It' Moments In Movie History – Page 2

Next week people be like 

Wheres Tommy D?

IMG_5349.jpeg

🤣🤣🍻

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, j.b.newton said:

I doubt he's making $300,000,000 in sponsorships over the next 2 years.  By then, the whole thing blows over and he's back in the corporate space/good graces.  Also, with LIV being world-wide (more so than PGA), it may open some additional pieces.

1st, that $300M would not come w/ a 2 year commitment. Most of the leaks have been 3-5 years with one player rumored to be on a 10 year deal. For $300M I'd guess Rahm would be signing up for at least 5-6 years minimum. Potentially $50M+ / year is a massive windfall to be sure but he in no way would get $300M for two. Zero chance.  

2nd, that world wide LIV affiliation has brought zero sponsorship value to the current group. Perhaps that changes if the framework agreement goes through but that pact looks to be on rocky footing right now. Any player making the move today should count on their signing bonus (read the fine print) and 2-3 season worth of tournament winnings. Everything else is a hope note and pure speculation. Yassir is just as likely to pull the plug on the whole shebang as he is to double or triple down on a losing enterprise. Those probabilities need to be considered.   

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

1st, that $300M would not come w/ a 2 year commitment. Most of the leaks have been 3-5 years with one player rumored to be on a 10 year deal. For $300M I'd guess Rahm would be signing up for at least 5-6 years minimum. Potentially $50M+ / year is a massive windfall to be sure but he in no way would get $300M for two. Zero chance.  

2nd, that world wide LIV affiliation has brought zero sponsorship value to the current group. Perhaps that changes if the framework agreement goes through but that pact looks to be on rocky footing right now. Any player making the move today should count on their signing bonus (read the fine print) and 2-3 season worth of tournament winnings. Everything else is a hope note and pure speculation. Yassir is just as likely to pull the plug on the whole shebang as he is to double or triple down on a losing enterprise. Those probabilities need to be considered.   

There is also a whole life ahead for selling yourself out if you're that way inclined, he's only 28.  If he continues to play well, which I expect he will and I'm sure he expects he will, what's to say he can't sell his soul to whatever multinational corporation, government, agency of his choice when he's 40? Playing well retains your value or extends it - being a 2-time major winner now or he could be a 7-time major winner and multiple PGA Tour player of the year when he's that age. Mickelson after all got paid $200 million when he was 51 and Tiger doesn't even play any more but LIV would still offer him whatever he wants.

Edited by Dave230
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Dave230 said:

There is also a whole life ahead for selling yourself out if you're that way inclined, he's only 28.  If he continues to play well, which I expect he will and I'm sure he expects he will, what's to say he can't sell his soul to whatever multinational corporation, government, agency of his choice when he's 40? Playing well retains your value or extends it - being a 2-time major winner now or he could be a 7-time major winner and multiple PGA Tour player of the year when he's that age. Mickelson after all got paid $200 million when he was 51 and Tiger doesn't even play any more but LIV would still offer him whatever he wants.

Agreed. But I really wouldn't be shocked if Rahm left. $300M or whatever the offer, is a ton of money. And unlike a lot of guys over there, Rahm doesn't need to worry about OWGR for the foreseeable future. There is some logic to it. 

I have no idea if Rahm will go but I understand the speculation. He's criticized the tour, he's stumped for Sergio but he's also repeatedly said that he no longer plays golf for money and isn't interested in what LIV is offering. Who knows how he really feels but I respect that he's not so black and white about the whole thing. 

I don't find LIV particularly compelling and I don't miss most of the players that left. Most truly don't matter. But there are a few I wish were still on tour week to week an Rahm would fall into that bucket. The only reason to go to LIV is guaranteed money and huge purses w/ fairly weak fields. That's it. Everything else about future franchise value or more sponsorship via a world wide tour is just reckless speculation and a low probability dream.  

Edited by Dutch1008
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

Agreed. But I really wouldn't be shocked if Rahm left. $300M or whatever the offer, is a ton of money. And unlike a lot of guys over their, Rahm doesn't need to worry about OWGR for the foreseeable future. There is some logic to it. 

I have no idea if Rahm will go but I understand the speculation. He's criticized the tour, he's stumped for Sergio but he's also repeatedly said that he no longer plays golf for money and isn't interested in what LIV is offering. Who knows how he really feels but I respect that he's not so black and white about the whole thing. 

I don't find LIV particularly compelling and I don't miss most of the players that left. Most truly don't matter. But there are a few I wish were still on tour week to week an Rahm would fall into that bucket. The only reason to go to LIV is guaranteed money and huge purses w/ fairly weak fields. That's it. Everything else about future franchise value or more sponsorship via a world wide tour is just reckless speculation and a low probability dream.  

Rahm leaving for LIV would be the one of them all to change the balance of world golf so that's why I hope it doesn't happen. I don't think he will though, but we'll see.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dave230 said:

Rahm leaving for LIV would be the one of them all to change the balance of world golf so that's why I hope it doesn't happen. I don't think he will though, but we'll see.

I like Rahm a lot but I don't think he's a tipping point. I'm not going to tune into an event during weird US broadcasting hours just to watch Rahm. If I find the time I'll check out the highlights on youtube and maybe catch a little bit of the domestic events but that's it. Rahm would make the product better but I still don't think he makes it compelling. I think the McKinsey report was right. For this to work they needed to lock up Tiger, Phil, Rory and the rest of the Top 12. 

All that said, I agree and hope Rahm doesn't bail.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dutch1008 said:

I like Rahm a lot but I don't think he's a tipping point. I'm not going to tune into an event during weird US broadcasting hours just to watch Rahm. If I find the time I'll check out the highlights on youtube and maybe catch a little bit of the domestic events but that's it. Rahm would make the product better but I still don't think he makes it compelling. I think the McKinsey report was right. For this to work they needed to lock up Tiger, Phil, Rory and the rest of the Top 12. 

All that said, I agree and hope Rahm doesn't bail.  

I think the balance of talent is still on the PGA Tour's side, LIV have some good players who would still be considered at their peak like Koepka, Smith and DeChambeau but the PGA Tour have much more in depth. Take Rahm away and give to the other side and that balance shifts significantly. 

• Like 3

Just got off the phone with Jay. They made a deal PGA gets Chase Koepka and Liv gets Rahm.

• Haha 4

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball: Yellow Srixon Q Stars

6 hours ago, TiScape said:

I’m pretty much in the same boat. Going to several PGA events and watching the guys hit on the range is cool. Not like I wanna do it for over 15min though. I’d say watching them hit into a screen playing sim golf would be about the same, if not slightly less exciting. 

Watching pros on the range is the best part of going to an event imo. You get to watch them hit a bunch of different shots without much effort. And it’s usually easy to get a great seat. 

Not sure about TGL but I’ll give it a chance. 

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

10 minutes ago, Dave230 said:

I think the balance of talent is still on the PGA Tour's side, LIV have some good players who would still be considered at their peak like Koepka, Smith and DeChambeau but the PGA Tour have much more in depth. Take Rahm away and give to the other side and that balance shifts significantly. 

Well sure, you'd be losing one of the 3 or 4 best players on the planet. And a fairly young guy to boot. I just don't think he magically changes their viewership. I don't think Callaway abandons the tour to support Rahm and LIV. I don't think CBS and NBC tear up their contract and get in a legal dispute because Jon Rahm left. 

Perhaps it provides cover for a few more fence sitters to also jump ship. And perhaps that starts a slow burn where the PGAT just continually leaks oil and LIV slowly gains momentum. It's certainly possible. I simply think for this to work that LIV would have to pay up for enough of the top guys to convince Fox to give them a massive TV deal. How much money will LIV have to put up for that scenario to happen? If Rahm's $300, how much do Xander and Cantlay want? How much is Hovland going to cost? How much money does the PIF have to transfer to players before this thing ever becomes self sustaining?  

We're talking about a massive wealth transfer from the PIF to ~50 players with the hope that this all eventually pays off somehow. Anything is possible I suppose.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Albatross Dreamer said:

Nope, it's stupid. 

Agree. I just can’t imagine the draw 

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

6 hours ago, JD3 said:

Odds are he's headed to LIV. It's kinda obvious. Turning down $300,000,000 something while still playing in majors is just too much. Within 2 years they're most likely to sort something out for the Ryder cup too. 

I 100% disagree.  He is not going to play in team events.  He has always stated to each his own, but he has always said he's in it for history.  No world ranking points, no majors, no Rahm.  I see Rahm playing a few Euro tour events, some high level tour events and majors.  Thats a wrap.  Just don't think he has the time to devoter to TGL.  Wife and 2 small kiddos and a FULL schedule.

Edited by Avidswampthing66
  • Like 4

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

18 minutes ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

I 100% disagree.  He is not going to play in team events.  He has always stated to each his own, but he has always said he's in it for history.  No world ranking points, no majors, no Rahm.  I see Rahm playing a few Euro tour events, some high level tour events and majors.  Thats a wrap.  Just don't think he has the time to devoter to TGL.  Wife and 2 small kiddos and a FULL schedule.

If that were the case  then I don't think he would have committed to tigers league in the first place. He's probably being offered more than any liv player has gotten to date. Wife and kiddos factor into that decision too!

Edited by JD3
  • Like 2

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

First, if I get 300 mil for 5 years I could care less about spionsors. More time away from home doing silly ads and corporate crap. 

Legacy is Majors, and he is in all of them for the next 10 years likely. 

We will see what happens, but he may see Brooks and Phil and DJ chilling a lot more of the year and with children that may be appealing

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, JD3 said:

If that were the case  then I don't think he would have committed to tigers league in the first place. He's probably being offered more than any liv player has gotten to date. Wife and kiddos factor into that decision too!

Yeah true.  But, Rahm doesn't strike me as a money grab shitsngiggles type of guy.  Guy wants to win majors and this TGL does not seem all that serious.  Live feels the same way to me.  But, we will see!  I like Rahmo a ton, hope he wins 4 more majors. 6 majors and you're up there!!

• Like 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

Since the split, I’ve watched very little golf on TV (and I’m an absolute golf junkie!)  Any one of their events  (PGA or LIV) is a split field and deserves an asterisk in the record books including the Ryder Cup.  Only full field majors get my juices flowing anymore.  Pretty sad actually.  I get more enjoyment watching YouTube golf content in the interim.  I’ll check out pro simulator golf once or twice if they’re wearing sweats, drinking beer and talking trash, but if the show up wearing white belts, corporate logos, and reference their yardage & green books - I’m out HARD!

• Like 1

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

Simulator golf sucks. The only reason to continuously play or practice on it is if you are in the middle of winter in a cold climate region. Watching it is even worse.

I actually own a high end sim/LM/mat combination. It gets used when the outside weather is below 45,  it's raining. or the ground is snow covered. 

Currently there are more "'golfers": playing non green grass venues then conventional golf so maybe this venture will be successful. It is impossible to underestimate the taste of the public so who knows.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stevens24 said:

First, if I get 300 mil for 5 years I could care less about spionsors. More time away from home doing silly ads and corporate crap. 

Legacy is Majors, and he is in all of them for the next 10 years likely. 

We will see what happens, but he may see Brooks and Phil and DJ chilling a lot more of the year and with children that may be appealing

“300 mil for 5 years I could care less“

Yeah, that’s the attitude we fans want to be prevalent with our athletes 🤣

Real good for us lol. I guess liv fans somehow are gratified and comforted in the knowledge that DJ can sit around his pool sucking down bacon and lobster croissants 🥐 with his kids 🤣

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Real good for us lol. I guess liv fans somehow are gratified and comforted in the knowledge that DJ can sit around his pool sucking down bacon and lobster croissants 🥐 with his kids 🤣

“300 mil for 5 years I could care less about sponsors”

Removing sponsors from that is quite the omission.

Do golf fans care that much about corporate sponsorships? Is caring about corporate sponsors somehow showing more integrity and respect for the game?

Edited by kasting333
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

48 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Lol. Especially we South Carolinians that know where he came form you can live on $50k a year easily $100k as a household is middle class easily.  So yea. We are so glad he’s able to pay the bills 😂.  The guy can sit and spin.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

15 hours ago, Dave230 said:

But people still won't care. They'll watch the majors, the Players and the Ryder Cup. TGL, LIV won't change that.

• Like 1