As a weekend golfer, why do I want "to grow the game"?

manku

On 12/9/2023 at 9:49 PM, st1800e said:

That settles it! 

At some point you were a non golfer. Now you are, and apparently enjoy it.  So you want to limit others from finding the game so they can’t enjoy it like you do? Because it doesn’t help YOU? 

That’s the natural order of things. The older generation sure did it to mine ( I’m 44). I didn’t start to play until I was 34. And my low index is +2.3.   I might have been able to play if I had played as a kid 🤣.  But I grew up knowing ( not thinking ) that golf was above my station.  

so hear me out.  My age demographic seems to the ones who are victim to a lot  of this boomer hindsight math.  what  I mean is this. Equipment…. There was a time when you either hit a blade and a tiny driver , or you didn’t play. I can do that well.  A lot cannot. So I don’t get to see that reward. I have to adapt to the help the old generation made to further  its aging self. My advantage is reappropriated and spread around to the  peers I play against.  No way to explain it away . Thats just the facts of life.  

same thing is happening with access to the game. The oldsters are delegating that we welcome any and all.  And I’m in two minds with that.  One mind agrees. One mind wonders where the blank they were when I was coming up ?  They surely didn’t want me on course then.  The “ growing the game “ movement is what keeps me off the course now.  I can no longer walk on anytime I want during  the week and play 9. Since 2020 it’s way too crowded.  So I had a 10 year run.  😂.  It was fun.  But the oldsters are yet again deciding what I can and can’t do.  It’s quite an amazing age to be in the game and life in general.  They’re clinging on like a wet booger 🤨

I’ll leave it for you to decide how much of that is satire or is real. Won’t be wrong to guess either way.  

• Like 4

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, Itsjustagame said:

Population of the US has grown by 50 million people in the past 20 years. There are more people everwhere including golf courses.

But it’s just on the edge of the cliff that will see it lose 10 million plus a year until 2040.  We’re only having 3.6 mil babies a year …. It’s not going to be overpopulated for long , unless they import them.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 12/10/2023 at 10:01 AM, RainShadow said:

I agree, courses are crowded these days, but it was just 10-15 years ago that we were closing courses due to lack of financial viability and water resources, and less people playing. Part of the reason the one's we have are crowded.

Not sure it was even that long ago. Even just a year or two pre-COVID courses were closing all over. It was all over the news, and those that weren't were often being sold to the lowest bidder and neglected. Short memories.....

It's not hard to understand that Boomers are quickly dying off or becoming unable to play the game. Without injecting new blood, the valuable land gets sold and golf dies off, or it gets even harder and more expensive to play as courses dwindle.

But I don't think LIV (or the PGA) is doing much more than lip service to accomplish that goal. For that you have to look to YouTube and social media. In fact, I've played with several younger folks who don't watch pro golf at all, but they all sure as hell know who Garrett Clark is...

Bluntly, I'm glad to see the Boomers complaining. Offending their "I gots mine" mentality is usually a good sign that something is making its way to the younger generation! 😅

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I’m in Middle Tennessee, we are in a weird predicament as far as I’m concerned. 

1. The public golf scene is not good in middle Tennessee as a whole as there wasn’t enough interest to build lots of golf courses in the past so now that the population is booming there isn’t enough courses to keep people spread out enough at peak times. 

2. There also aren’t any public “Historic Gems” so if the golfing population dwindles, I’m sure the owners will just sell the land for residential properties instead of returning to the pre-covid profits.  

3. A good majority of people that moved here came from higher cost of living areas and have driven up housing prices and private club dues across the area. So much so that some public golf courses are being turned into private. 

4. Land is too expensive to build a public golf course on so any new golf courses will surely be expensive private courses that will recoup their investment the 1st year of operation. 

So it would seem that in my area we need to just somehow maintain the current level of golfers. 

As with anything, there's an equilibrium. But, if it shrinks beyond a certain point, you'll see a downturn in the quality and availability of golf as well. 

• Like 1

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

Let's look at this in simple terms - 

Only (4) ways to grow revenue (no matter what the industry). 

1.  Increase the number of customers (golfers)

2. Customers (golfers) increase their transaction amount

3. Customers (people) buy (or play) more frequently 

4. Increase prices 

What is the primary metric for growth and has the metric changed

1. adding new people?

2. people playing more?

3. Cost per round? 

Or is it a combination of all? 

In 2000, the industry added new golfers and those golfers played more frequently. 

In 2022, the industry saw flatness in new golfers and golfers played less frequently. 

As a golfer and a member of a well-managed club that turns over very few members, I don't care if it grows or not. 

It begs the question - do existing (long-time) public golfers play more when the industry retracts and fewer new people play? 

I think not. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, st1800e said:

So if I followed your lead, I shouldn't introduce the game to my five grandchildren?  Call my oldest grandson and tell him he can’t go tonight? 

Again. Two minds.    My 15 year old son was quite good at golf until he stopped playing at 10 to focus on other sports. Natural shortgame. Can putt . Drove  it over  200 yards then.  Big kid.   But part of me is ok with it. Seems wrong to addict someone to something that won’t be available, or accessible in the future .  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

31 minutes ago, st1800e said:

So if I followed your lead, I shouldn't introduce the game to my five grandchildren?  Call my oldest grandson and tell him he can’t go tonight? 

You need to read his post again.   

In the meantime, call your eldest grandson and tell him he can do whatever his heart desires.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ferguson said:

The hell with people that want to advance their careers, make better lives for themselves and increase their income potential. 

Good for them. But their “grow the game” has nothing to do for 99% who play the game, keep courses open, and purchase the products. At least most professional athletes (assuming we can call golfers athletes) don’t claim they are “growing the game” when they get a big contract, they acknowledge that they, in the singular sense, are getting paid a boatload of money.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, shankasaurus rex said:

Not sure it was even that long ago. Even just a year or two pre-COVID courses were closing all over. It was all over the news, and those that weren't were often being sold to the lowest bidder and neglected. Short memories.....

It's not hard to understand that Boomers are quickly dying off or becoming unable to play the game. Without injecting new blood, the valuable land gets sold and golf dies off, or it gets even harder and more expensive to play as courses dwindle.

But I don't think LIV (or the PGA) is doing much more than lip service to accomplish that goal. For that you have to look to YouTube and social media. In fact, I've played with several younger folks who don't watch pro golf at all, but they all sure as hell know who Garrett Clark is...

Bluntly, I'm glad to see the Boomers complaining. Offending their "I gots mine" mentality is usually a good sign that something is making its way to the younger generation! 😅

Getting Old New Girl GIF

They're constantly whining.....😭😫

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Interesting how many here long for the pre-Tiger days when part of the reason courses were only moderately populated wasn't that people didn't know about the game or couldn't afford a used set of clubs but because many who had the time and a little bit of money weren't allowed on courses because they weren't the "right kind" of people. Don't forget that Tiger's audacity to play courses his talent took him to got him anonymous death threats and crass jokes from Tour members about fried chicken, sadly even into the 00s. It was a very different time indeed. I'm sure those kinds of attitudes weren't pervasive or anything, though. 

I'll no doubt admit the entitlement & general bearing of some people can be lacking these days as a lot of discipline & accountability has gone out the window. Many here including myself have mentioned not even asking if someone wants advice on the range or course when a simple tweak or two would save them years of pain to come because there's no telling how they'll react. That said, I don't know that to be any worse than people glad handing someone and being all smiles to someone's face while not wanting them anywhere near the rarefied fairways that they were privileged to play. 

These threads always bring out some... fun talking points about the different eras of golf. We certainly can't help but see the world as we do. C'est la vie. 

One thing is clear: bigger checks are the biggest concern of far too many vocal/unabashed pros right now. I'm not sure even the established events will retain their legacies and meaning if this pace keeps up. Golf is very popular among those who care a lot about influencers/celebs who play the game, and many of them couldn't care less about the pros if they aren't friends of said celebs. All it will take is a few negative experiences going viral and non-casual golf could find itself in a very precarious spot. Likely the TopGolfs & golfer bros/broettes of the world can weather whatever becomes of the golfing elite. 

• Like 3

On 12/11/2023 at 4:01 PM, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

ditch-digger-smails.gif

Truth!

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

3 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Yup I remember that story. As I recall the second part of your conversation with the guy went like this 😂

tumblr_od1a60mY9l1qmob6ro1_400.gif

That was actually with a different guy. The hole captain. Retired banker. He musta been at least 85 years old and I’m betting not quite as sharp as he once was 😉 

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TiScape said:

He looks at me totally straight faced and says “well that’s a lot of money to a guy like you”

tumblr_ogh8wmPnem1rfd7lko1_400.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

On 12/9/2023 at 6:57 PM, Chunkitgood said:

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, “Golf was sweet before Woods.”  A lot of people playing now have no idea how sweet.  Strolling around the course without some guys breathing around your nice, yet finishing faster.  Getting a beer and sandwich at the turn.  Still finishing faster.  Far fewer duffers on the course, and proportionally more people who could play.  Everybody polite and considerate of others…well,  mostly.  Making a 10 foot putt did not elicit screams of delight and celebration dances.

Remember when players in carts wouldn't just drive by as you're playing a shot and would wait for you to hit first lol....

Can't figure how to like my own posts