Undercover Caddie: My player wouldn’t stop cheating, so I quit

Dancin

34 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

So if this unknown caddie options a film to GC called, “I Refused To Go Another Hole”, does 2+2 = you as the unknown caddie?

I did an actual LOL upon reading that .....That is A1 material sir

The sequel will be called "my player squatted over the ball"

• Haha 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I don't know who this player night be, but over the years I've often doubted whether there's even an actual 'undercover caddie' or 'undercover pro', or instead merely a golf writer with a clever idea who hears a a few off-the-record bits of information/opinions from various caddies or pros and then just creates a 'composite' out of thin air, in order to write about whatever the topic of the day, and slaps the 'undercover' conceit on his often pallid and unsurprising palaver.

I mean, in the recent undercover pro I 'learned' that pros think Jon Rahm is a good guy and not a frat-boy, and that his colleagues respect him and his talent, and that no one blames him for taking the money or even for the flip-flop (from saying he won't go to LIV) -- but, since his defection means the LIV-PGAT saga will be prolonged, there may be a few PGAT pros who are annoyed at him and might not easily forget. Wow! Now that's the inside scoop, eh? Startling breaking news, straight from the horse's mouth!

Seriously, isn't that exactly what any of us would've guessed as the answer to the 'what do tour pros think of Jon Rahm' question? Same with this undercover caddie. Did we need Deep Throat to tell us that in the 80s and 90s, there might've been a tour pro who cheated on occasion? I don't want people publicly outed or shamed, so I won't say "either name names and tell us who's punching out who, or end the charade". Instead, I'll just say: whoever is writing these articles really does need to do better. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PJE said:

Colin Montgomerie?

• Fantastic European Tour player-300 weeks or so  in the OWGR top 10 including 287 weeks from 1996 to 2001.
  • No major wins - In fact, he hit one of the worse shots in major championship history at the 2006 US Open to lose it.
  • Well documented history of surly behavior on the course.
  • Accused by Sandy Lyle of cheating at the 2005 Indonesian Open.
  • Fired his caddie after the 2007 Player's Championship (Florida).

Perhaps the wrong era though per the clues. He was generally at his peak in the mid 1990s to mid 2000s.  And these points might just be coincidental. 

My guess also, but who knows. The whole thing may be BS.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

@Hawkeye77 is out-Mtljeffing me in this thread.....

I hate you Hawkeye! But god damn if i don't respect you

YARN | hate you! | Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004) | Video  clips by quotes | 31f6eb80 | 紗

• Haha 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

2 hours ago, PJE said:

Colin Montgomerie?

• Fantastic European Tour player-300 weeks or so  in the OWGR top 10 including 287 weeks from 1996 to 2001.
  • No major wins - In fact, he hit one of the worse shots in major championship history at the 2006 US Open to lose it.

Perhaps the wrong era though per the clues. He was generally at his peak in the mid 1990s to mid 2000s.  And these points might just be coincidental. 

That caddie hadn’t been with him long enough to be the one allegedly writing this and he’d had more than one previous to that - his most long-term caddie didn’t go back to the 80s, lasted 10 years or so and had nothing but good things to say about Monty.

None of if adds up to be him. 

Probably like one of those fake NYT stories where the pro is some “representation” of all sorts of pros, lol. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

That caddie hadn’t been with him long enough to be the one allegedly writing this and he’d had more than one previous to that - his most long-term caddie didn’t go back to the 80s, lasted 10 years or so and had nothing but good things to say about Monty.

None of if adds up to be him. 

Probably like one of those fake NYT stories where the pro is some “representation” of all sorts of pros, lol. 

Ha ha. Good point. Well not the guy…if there really is a guy. 

• Like 1

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

David Frost - won the 1984 Cannes Open and then played the PGAT full time in 1985. 

T6 1986 Anheuser Busch. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

4 hours ago, PeterJP said:

I don't know who this player night be, but over the years I've often doubted whether there's even an actual 'undercover caddie' or 'undercover pro', or instead merely a golf writer with a clever idea who hears a a few off-the-record bits of information/opinions from various caddies or pros and then just creates a 'composite' out of thin air, in order to write about whatever the topic of the day, and slaps the 'undercover' conceit on his often pallid and unsurprising palaver.

I mean, in the recent undercover pro I 'learned' that pros think Jon Rahm is a good guy and not a frat-boy, and that his colleagues respect him and his talent, and that no one blames him for taking the money or even for the flip-flop (from saying he won't go to LIV) -- but, since his defection means the LIV-PGAT saga will be prolonged, there may be a few PGAT pros who are annoyed at him and might not easily forget. Wow! Now that's the inside scoop, eh? Startling breaking news, straight from the horse's mouth!

Seriously, isn't that exactly what any of us would've guessed as the answer to the 'what do tour pros think of Jon Rahm' question? Same with this undercover caddie. Did we need Deep Throat to tell us that in the 80s and 90s, there might've been a tour pro who cheated on occasion? I don't want people publicly outed or shamed, so I won't say "either name names and tell us who's punching out who, or end the charade". Instead, I'll just say: whoever is writing these articles really does need to do better. 

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. 

6 hours ago, PJE said:

Colin Montgomerie?

Monty is clearly European.  Its says the player and caddie were not European. 

• Like 2

It would be interesting if it was at a time with video. To me, it would seem much more obvious if a player was doing something like that. Not sure how he could be able to get away with it for so long. But then again, there is probably a lot of that stuff that happens on tours right now that players don't get penalized on. 

Posted (edited)

Maybe. Not sure about Wayne Grady since his Busch classic was a cut one year and then two 67s the other. Not sure he would have been struggling to make the cut as the story says with those two first round scores. David Frost on the other hand had a 71. Definite possibility. If we can find video of Frost taking perpendicular practice swings behind the ball that would clinch it

Edited by Dancin
  • Like 1

Is it worse than Matt Moroz?

https://www.firepitcollective.com/p/the-case-against-matt-moroz-mounts

Moroz's ball was on the fringe, just 15 feet from the hole. Haefner, having grown increasingly skeptical, asked Moroz what he was putting for. "Birdie," he replied. The penalty area where Moroz's tee shot had entered was thick and for the most part unplayable; in fact, Moroz called it "jungle." He explained that Smith had found his ball just outside the penalty area, nearly 30 yards ahead (and around a corner of the wooded area) of where the ball entered. Clayton Kucera, an experienced caddie who was carrying for Ni, had seen enough. As Haefner and Ni were putting out, Kucera approached the rules official and explained what had happened. As the group left the green, the rules official returned to where Moroz's drive had entered the penalty area.

On 3/13/2024 at 5:08 AM, Dancin said:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/undercover-caddie-my-player-wouldnt-stop-cheating-so-i-quit

Anyone have ideas on who it might be?

Some of the hints from the article:

Lots of wins, no majors. Started out in Europe and home country is not the US. Probably played in the 70s and 80s maybe 90s given caddie saying nobody under 40 would know the player's name. Caddie quit on him after a tournament in Florida

On 3/13/2024 at 5:53 AM, Hawkeye77 said:

Can't read it without signing up for whatever so no thanks.

That being said, if someone is writing a tattletale article and won't sign their name to it?  It's not worth thinking about.  

For folks still unable to read the article ... Here's an archived Link, that will show the article minus the javascript/cookies etc:  https://archive.ph/ll2UD

Frost may have had a steady caddie during mid-80s to mid-90s - but if it was van Rooyen none of the story fits.  That's the only caddie I can find that goes back aways you can put a name to, and maybe he was later.  If it was someone else who knows, but that's what's wrong with pieces like this - we can all find names that just might fit the narrative, and sure, now I've looked, haha.

Yep, I've now read it, lol.  Comes off as a "look at me I have integrity and I'm not saying the guy blackballed me but I'm really sort of saying he did" ---- put your name to it (and if the guy doesn't want to I think "Golf Digest" - largely irrelevant these days - should have left it alone - if you aren't 100% sure you aren't getting sued if names are named it's okay to be a Hollywood scandal sheet?)  - I think it's pretty tasteless, but that's why it was printed and why we get sucked in ..... and it was almost 40 years ago.  More about someone a little bitter needing and getting a few $.

And now more about Charles Laughton eating poop sandwiches . . . . 

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 4:53 PM, PeterJP said:

AI generated garbage designed to arouse the reader, not based in reality like all the other insipid Undercover Caddie articles. As an aside I have a subscription to GD but lately all that I look at is WITB. Some pretty innane articles the last few yeats.

• Like 1