2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

How Much Stronger Will Irons Become?

EmperorPenguin

I have no loft cut off. If I maintain my distance gaps and hit the ball what I expect given my ball speed and see a desired flight window and launch and spin, I am good.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

I still wouldn't care. I need matching irons from around 24 degrees to something in the low 50s. Right now, it's called 5-SW. If I get a 2020 model iron, it will likely be 6-SW. I could buy an set of Blueprints or 620 MBs and it will be 4-PW (need to find some other GW/SW). My view is that you could make it 1-iron to 8-iron or W1 - W8.

I just go back to a 5-iron was 28-29 degrees (look at Tiger's specs or Adam Scotts 680s). Nearly everyone here would be OK with a 26-27 degree 5-iron and I'd bet lots of people play 23-24 degree 5-irons (which is really an old Strong 4-iron). They only reason why this is OK is because that's what people are using and they need to justify their decision. There's no fundamental proof or reason why strengthening a 5-iron 4-6 degrees is "acceptable" while strengthening a 6-iron 10+ degrees is not.

As mentioned, I do agree that the < 3 degree gaps at the top end are basically useless for most of the buyers of these clubs (with these types of lofts). As for the gaps on the bottom end, generally 4-5 degrees is probably better. But for years I played 47-54-60 and did just fine. I think Spieth goes 46-52 (WOW 6 DEGREES - HOW DOES HE MANAGE), Tiger is stated at 49-56 (7 DEGREEES), and Phil has a PW of god knows what and then 54-60 (COULD EASILY HAVE TWO GAPS OF 6 DEGREES!).

I suppose I could maybe care this much if somehow every iron set became like this and traditionalists were forced to change, but thats not the case so I have a hard time understanding what sounds like seething outrage towards something that doesn't actually impact you. And like @WristySwing implied, most all of the people I have seen with these jacked up sets are simply trying to keep the distance they are losing in old/older age, not people looking to brag about gaining some arbitrary amount of yardage. And why is energy even being wasted on caring about how far someone else hits a ball? Especially since the only real place people get all egoic about that kind of thing is off the tee, and jacked loft irons aren't magically making their drivers go any further.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-7i 26*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Gosh darn it man! Imagine instead of buying 4-PW stamped on the bottom you have to buy 6-GW2! How will the golf community survive such a tragedy? @agolf1

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Keep noticing some referencing this ego driven golfer, that lives for notifying you hes hitting a club or two less than you on every shot. Like somebody said, the majority of guys Ive noticed playing stronger lofted clubs are older guys just trying to keep pace with the course and not some flat brim wearing, speaker blaring, f boy. Lofts are subjective and work differently for everybody, why the intense focus on how its a bad trend? Just walk past those clubs and select whats best for your game lol.....just as the dude who picked the 38* pw did. Who cares

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

I know one thing, I won't buy a set with a GW2. My line is drawn at a 44 degree PW (where I can bend to 45.) You do what you want though.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Have never seen it be a bragging thing but certainly it doesn't hurt validating someone's purchase to themselves. "oh these new clubs are awesome I'm almost 2 clubs longer than my old set."

Don't get me wrong, at some point a guy needs to get new irons, but adding yardage because the new models are so much longer wouldn't be a reason.

I think theyve reached the limit. Ive got a set of Tommy Armour Atomics that are some of the strongest lofted irons there are and I see that with the newer 845 model, TA went weaker on the lofts. The PW on the 845s is 43.5 degrees, which is about 2 degrees weaker than the Atomics are.

I know that for me, as someone who is not a long-hitter and who falls right in the middle of the range for regular flex shafts, with my Atomics, I cant hit anything longer than the 6-iron and all I carry is the 7-iron, the 9-iron and the AW. I do carry a 4-hybrid that is 21* but I find the 4 and 5 irons to be almost unusable for me and the 6-iron can be a struggle to get up in the air at times because the lofts are so strong.

I honestly hope that manufacturers dont go any stronger than 44 degrees for PW in the future because my 41 degree PW is kind of joke. Thats why I carry the 46* AW from my set instead of the PW.

Totally agree with this. The "horse is out of the barn" as far as needing one gap wedge. Even at that, we have a gap wedge that is appropriate for "pitching" and a pitching wedge that most people only use as a "10 iron" from the fairway (not for "pitching"). Just for logical consistency, IMO, if a club has a name, it should do what the name says (lob, sand, pitch). If its intended for full swings, it should have a number (i.e. not GW2). Needing a gap wedge to fill the gap between your gap wedge and your pitching wedge is ridiculous.

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

I respect your knowledge and no doubt it is an extreme range. I just don't see what all the uproar is about. The cry for clubs to be made the way they were 10,20 and 30 years ago to me is not taking advantage of technology.

But in the end players should work with a qualified and knowledgea fitter to find the set and makeup that will help them. Obviously it won't be the same for everyone.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Yes, but it is not taking advantage of technology to take a club with a 50 degree loft and stamp gap wedge 3 or whatever on it instead of pitching wedge. Do you see what I mean? Every set of iron clubs has a loft progression usually 4 degrees and a similar lofts for the clubs. Changing the number stamped on he head from 5 to 7 has nothing to do with technology. It is all marketing and nothing else.

LOL I happen to like having hopped up irons because psychologically it makes me feel good to be able to hit my seven iron 5 iron distance. It keeps me from over swinging. In reality the whole loft jacking movement is abject stupidity...

• Like 1

I think the only issue is that most people know how far they hit their PW, but don't know if it's 40*, 45*, or 48*. If you hand them a different club with W or P or PW on it and it doesn't go the same distance as theirs, they would have no clue as to why that happened. They only issue I even mildly have with it, is it's clearly used to mislead the average golf equipment consumer who isn't even aware that lofts are different from model to model. When I first started playing back in the 80's- 90's, I had no clue shaft stiffness ratings were different from OEM to OEM. I just assumed that a stiff shaft, was a stiff shaft, was a stiff shaft. I figured there must be an industry standard or they would use some other specific term to differentiate between OEM's.

• Like 1

I pretty have given up on caring about the jacked loft stuff. It got out of hand a long time ago with the nonsense marketing. Yes, there are plenty of people out their with ego issues who love to brag about hitting their 30 degree 7 irons 185 yards. Whatever makes them feel good about themselves. Bottom line is it's still a 30 degree loft whether it's stamped 5,6, or 7.

I wish the industry would have standardized a long time ago, not only with lofts, but with shaft flexes as well using CPM's and a reference. As someone else has stated, that horse has left the barn.

This is why I love my Ping i200's. Granted they are a touch stronger than irons from 15 years ago but the 4 and 5 iron in the set are actually 1 degree weaker to balance the distances and trajectories with the rest of the set. Plus only 1 gap wedge in the set. When you start seeing 3 gap wedges then you know the companies are getting crazy.

I think @HuskyFan is right here. There are far more people complaining about people bragging about hitting their new irons 10,20,30,40 yards longer than I have ever seen actual posts about. Case in point in this above post. I think there are at least 4 or 5 complaints in this thread and only 1 person saying they did gain yardage --- but don't really care. Should we take their handicap away and ban them from all golf because they are now enjoying themselves a bit more than they were before?

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

It just gets goofy at times. I've play with guys who gush over their distances with strong lofted irons. It's just sad to see people drinking the kool-aid that the manufacturers serve up. I feel like the OEMs do more damage to the average golfer than good. Take drivers as a prime example when they went past 45" standard lengths. Broke my heart to see Titleist go 45.5 with the TS. Mizuno is the last hold-out

I checked the Mizuno lofts on their JPX-919 irons. Their pitching wedge is 46 degrees and the longest iron they have is a 3 iron at 23 degrees. Those specs are almost twenty years old, about two degrees stronger than the specs from about the 1990's, which I like (48-degree PW). Do the Japanese companies use the weaker lofts?

Are there any sets I can buy today with weaker lofts?

Mizuno is one of the last who is trying to hold ground, although their sets are a bit spread... 5 degree increments from 50-30. 50,45,40,35,30 in the hotmetal jpx line. I play the jpx tour. My pw is 46, but my 7 iron is 34. So while the pw is only one degree off the HMP, the 7 iron has 4 more degrees of loft. Thats some serious gaps, or would be for anyone with speed. Maybe the thinking is slower speeds will have smaller gaps.

Most of the strong lofts these day come from the Japanese sets. It is rare, unless you are buying a fully traditional CB/MB from a JDM brand, to get anything resembling 47-48* PW. All of their GI irons are pretty typically 5i at 22*-PW at 42/43*. Your player's distance JDM sets will be 23* 5i and 44/45* PW. I agree with the above, find a set with low bounce and bend weak to your hearts content. Or shell out the big money to Kyoei/Miura/Epon in Japan or National Custom and Artisan in the US and buy a forging house blank and get it done exactly as you want.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Yeah, I'm not buying it. Haven't seen it personally anyway. What I see is loft for loft, irons go about the same. Now, if they jack the loft but keep the same head weight and shaft length as that loft had before, then I'm good with it. ie Just changing the club number. But if they go from a 38" 27 degree club to a 37 or 37.5" 27 degree club, they haven't done me any good, they've actually hurt my speed and launch. I play better with weaker lofts at given lengths.

Lately I've gone with a 4 iron weakened to 25, no 5 iron, and 6 iron at 30, 7 iron 35. Then 4 degrees after that. The 3 degree thing on the longer end is nonsense. So too is 5 degrees from 7 iron on down. It's all a bad joke on us.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Ping offers three sets of lofts in their irons. Todays "standard" lofts, a power loft option where the clubs are strengthened a bit, and a traditional loft which is where irons were many years ago. So in the i210 for example a 7 iron could be 33 degrees (standard), 31.5 degrees (power loft), or 35 traditional retro loft.