who has actually played with a legit scratch golfer/pro level player?

11315171819
19

Comments

  • JerryTBallJerryTBall Avid Amateur NCMembers  591WRX Points: 239Handicap: 8Posts: 591 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #422

    The shot comment was a little much, and I hope it never comes to the golf course because it seems like the safest place to be these days but that is today’s Society, you see on TV every day, that’s why my golf bag weighs 32 ounces more.

    Posted:
    I change clubs too often to be able to update my signature but here’s what I currently play
    919 tour irons & 919 forged yes I have both sets
    Ping G400 max G400 7 wood G400 3 hybrid
    Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers  3315WRX Points: 853Handicap: 2.9Posts: 3,315 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #423

    Crime is actually way down and trending lower. Media just reports more of it than in the past unless it happens in DC, Baltimore or Chicago.

    Posted:
    2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers  2514WRX Points: 751Handicap: 0.9Posts: 2,514 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #424

    One of my high school golfers is ridiculous in terms of ability (not surprisingly he is committed to a top 5 golf program). The kid just has complete control of his golf ball. He will call his shot down to the height and spin numbers. He’s basically a more polished version of Bubba Watson in terms of the think it, mentally see it, and then do it mentality.

    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus w/Tensei Orange
    3 Wood: Titleist TS2 w/HZRDUS Smoke
    Hybrid: Titleist 718 H2 w/Atmos Blue TS 
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and 58
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Bridgestone XS
  • gambitgambit Members  4443WRX Points: 265Posts: 4,443 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #425

    I've played with a legit + hdcp. I'm a mid-capper. He hit his fair share of poor shots, not as many as me, but more than I thought a plus would. The biggest take away I got from that round, and talking to him throughout, was his course management. How he sees the hole with his ball flight, what happens if he misses long, short, left, right and plays to his strength. Also his pre-shot routine never wavered and he never gave up on a hole. He finished 3 under that day.

    Posted:

    SIM Max 10.5 / AD DI Black 6x

    SIM 3/5 Woods / Tensei Pro Blue 70/80 TX

    Tour Issue Adams Pro Mini 23 / AD DI 95x

    Ping Blueprints 5-P / Steelfiber i110S

    Ping Glide Forged 50-54-60 / Steelfiber i125S

    Byron Morgan DH89

    Titleist Linksmaster

  • jjj912jjj912 Members  1495WRX Points: 73Posts: 1,495 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #426

    I play a lot at public courses and I’d guess that I get paired with a really good player about once every 30 rounds. I agree with the other posters’ comments that the really good players play at private courses or have a dedicated group. The people I know at work that I’ve been told are really good golfers all play at private clubs.

    Posted:
  • phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Southern Ontario, CanadaUnregistered  2130WRX Points: 394Handicap: 6.5Posts: 2,130 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #427

    I can't believe I never noticed this thread before. My ex-manager (3ish years ago) made a go at the tour. I never asked him directly but just heard anecdotal evidence that he either made it to the upper level mini tours (Canadian Tour, what would have been Nike or Web.com) to he actually Monday qualified and made some pro events. We played a course that is around 6100 yards (possibly played blacks at 6700, I can't remember) and this was his second round of the year (in late July or early August). He shot what I think was the course record at 64 ot 63 but it didn't count because he either took a mulligan on one hole because it was just a horrendous shot or because he left the flagstick in on a putt and accidentally made it. Either way, it was just dumb to watch. Every drive was ripped, irons were either 10-15 feet for a birdie look or were "mishit" slightly to about 25-30 feet. He carried an M1 driver, G25 4 wood, Taylormade TP CBs (the ones with the weights in the back of them), a Ping Ketsch putter, and I think some older TM wedges. They were all stock shafts, except for the driver because he won it in a contest so it was custom fit for him.

    To put it mildly it was effortless as others had said. Rarely missed, putts dropped like they were 2 foot tap-ins when he needed them, every par 5 was an eagle look, almost jarred it on a couple of par 3s, and there was no such thing as scrambling for par. I wish I had his game or even half of it. He doesn't play still and gave up the golf gig to work selling lumber or something in a cottage town about 2 hours north to have more quality time with the family.

    Posted:

    Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757
    Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85
    Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL
    Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold
    Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • jll62jll62 MinneapolisClubWRX  2382WRX Points: 631Handicap: +2.2Posts: 2,382 ClubWRX
    Joined:  edited Sep 8, 2019 #428

    On -, @phatchrisrules said:

    I can't believe I never noticed this thread before. My ex-manager (3ish years ago) made a go at the tour. I never asked him directly but just heard anecdotal evidence that he either made it to the upper level mini tours (Canadian Tour, what would have been Nike or Web.com) to he actually Monday qualified and made some pro events. We played a course that is around 6100 yards (possibly played blacks at 6700, I can't remember) and this was his second round of the year (in late July or early August). He shot what I think was the course record at 64 ot 63 but it didn't count because he either took a mulligan on one hole because it was just a horrendous shot or because he left the flagstick in on a putt and accidentally made it. Either way, it was just dumb to watch. Every drive was ripped, irons were either 10-15 feet for a birdie look or were "mishit" slightly to about 25-30 feet. He carried an M1 driver, G25 4 wood, Taylormade TP CBs (the ones with the weights in the back of them), a Ping Ketsch putter, and I think some older TM wedges. They were all stock shafts, except for the driver because he won it in a contest so it was custom fit for him.

    To put it mildly it was effortless as others had said. Rarely missed, putts dropped like they were 2 foot tap-ins when he needed them, every par 5 was an eagle look, almost jarred it on a couple of par 3s, and there was no such thing as scrambling for par. I wish I had his game or even half of it. He doesn't play still and gave up the golf gig to work selling lumber or something in a cottage town about 2 hours north to have more quality time with the family.

    The funny thing is, what separates elite players from good players is scrambling for pars. A lot of players can post a low number when things are on, but it's the ones who seemingly play awful and then post a couple under that really impress.

    Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 8.0, Diamana Kai'li 60S, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue 19, Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X Hybrid
    TaylorMade P790 3, Nippon Modus 130 stiff
    TaylorMade P750 4-PW, Nippon Modus 130 stiff
    TaylorMade MG2 52, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Itsy Bitsy JDay Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

    jll62's WITB
  • Always_roughAlways_rough Members  487WRX Points: 117Posts: 487 Greens
    Joined:  #429

    I played with a guy that had a disability, forgive me for not knowing the name, but his legs were very skinny while the rest of his body was normal. Guys had knee braces on both legs. Ended up shooting -5 on the front nine. He hit every fairway, only missed two greens, and putted lights out. His tee shots were around 200-210, but he seemed to hit everything out of the middle of the face. He ended the round -3, as the back 9 generally plays longer with the wind.

    It just blew my mind to watch. Here I was, hitting the ball 290~ into the rough, struggling to make pars on most holes, while this guy was just plotting his way around the course without mistake. I finished the day +6. We both played from the same tee box. Learned a lot that day.

    I've played with plus handicappers. When I was in the military, I used to play with a guy that could hit it around 310 off the tee, and had an amazing short game. His irons were the weak part of his game. But even on the bad days, the worst I ever saw him shoot was +2.

    Posted:
    Got 14 daggum golf clubs, but none of 'em hit the ball straight.

    (1W) M3 440
    (3W) 917 F3
    (3i) MP-18 fli hi
    (4i-PW) JPX 900 Tour
    (52, 56, 60) SM6
    Oven B1-01
  • phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Southern Ontario, CanadaUnregistered  2130WRX Points: 394Handicap: 6.5Posts: 2,130 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #430

    On -, @jll62 said:

    On -, @phatchrisrules said:

    I can't believe I never noticed this thread before. My ex-manager (3ish years ago) made a go at the tour. I never asked him directly but just heard anecdotal evidence that he either made it to the upper level mini tours (Canadian Tour, what would have been Nike or Web.com) to he actually Monday qualified and made some pro events. We played a course that is around 6100 yards (possibly played blacks at 6700, I can't remember) and this was his second round of the year (in late July or early August). He shot what I think was the course record at 64 ot 63 but it didn't count because he either took a mulligan on one hole because it was just a horrendous shot or because he left the flagstick in on a putt and accidentally made it. Either way, it was just dumb to watch. Every drive was ripped, irons were either 10-15 feet for a birdie look or were "mishit" slightly to about 25-30 feet. He carried an M1 driver, G25 4 wood, Taylormade TP CBs (the ones with the weights in the back of them), a Ping Ketsch putter, and I think some older TM wedges. They were all stock shafts, except for the driver because he won it in a contest so it was custom fit for him.

    To put it mildly it was effortless as others had said. Rarely missed, putts dropped like they were 2 foot tap-ins when he needed them, every par 5 was an eagle look, almost jarred it on a couple of par 3s, and there was no such thing as scrambling for par. I wish I had his game or even half of it. He doesn't play still and gave up the golf gig to work selling lumber or something in a cottage town about 2 hours north to have more quality time with the family.

    The funny thing is, what separates elite players from good players is scrambling for pars. A lot of players can post a low number when things are on, but it's the ones who seemingly play awful and then post a couple under that really impress.

    I agree with you there. What I meant more along the lines of was that it all seemed so easy. Nothing was a bad shot, I don't think he missed a green. If he did it was easily a tap-in putt. I guess that was his "scrambling" but in reality it was so good nothing looked hard at all.

    Posted:

    Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757
    Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85
    Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL
    Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold
    Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium

  • HappyGilmoresBootsHappyGilmoresBoots Green Balls MichiganMembers  202WRX Points: 79Handicap: 18?Posts: 202 Fairways
    Joined:  #432

    There was an old neighbor of my parents that was a retired businessman of some sort - spent his professional career on the golf course multiple times per week, then golfed **** near daily during retirement. His other hobby was cruises, and he spent his time away from the course calculating and figuring out how to get the cheapest cruises (on some Extreme Couponing-level stuff, he would actually get paid to go on cruises). So, he had a clubfitter at each port-of-call in the Caribbean with a golf course ready and waiting for him with a set of custom-sized rental clubs (you don't save money on cruises by paying the oversize luggage fees to bring your own clubs).

    Obviously he was a driven guy; he couldn't have been such a successful businessman if he wasn't. But, he was far from competitive, and often declined entry into tournaments and the like. What sticks out in my memory was the grace and ease with which he approached every single shot, and how his calm coolness shone as a beacon of positivity around him. He was a powerful presence. He never celebrated a birdie, and never raised a ruckus over a bogey (but those almost never happened)...everything was just as it was, and as it needed to be. Even though a quick 9 after dinner with the guys around the neighborhood was his 27th (or 45th) holes of the day, he rarely faltered or tired. It was with him that I scored my best 9 holes to date (then completely pooped the bed the very next day on the very same 9 holes at the high school golf team tryouts).

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Dr. BombayDr. Bombay Members  270WRX Points: 90Posts: 270 Greens
    Joined:  edited Sep 10, 2019 #433

    We have some solid players where I play. In a recent 16-man game my A-player missed a 3-footer on 18 to shoot 8-under with a bogey. The second A-player advanced deep into match-play at the US Mid-Am last year. The third A-player won several G-Pro events last year. The fourth A-player was just a random +2 handicapper nobody has ever heard of. I think we had 9 players that day who were 1-handicap or better, and 6 who were +plus handicappers....by definition two of which ended up being B-players!

    Posted:
    Post edited by Dr. Bombay on
  • JDW3JDW3 Members  650WRX Points: 106Handicap: 4.5Posts: 650 Golden Tee
    Joined:  edited Sep 10, 2019 #434

    I have a friend that’s a club pro and we play together fairly often but as far as getting paired with random scratch golfers goes I’ve never been paired with one. Lowest I’ve been paired is around a 2. I’ve been between 3.9 and 7 for the past 5 years (currently 5.5) and have played a lot of rounds as a single joining groups and it’s extremely rare to get paired with someone that beats me.

    Posted:
    Driver: Titleist TS2
    3 wood: Titleist TS2
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 19* & 22*
    Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 16
    Wedges: Vokey sm7 50*, 54*, 60*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    Ball: Titleist Prov 1x
  • goaliedad30goaliedad30 Members  31WRX Points: 67Handicap: 4Posts: 31 Bunkers
    Joined:  #435

    Back in the 1970's in high school, I played against Chris Perry, who went on to have a fairly successful career on the PGA Tour. I also played once in those days with Mark O'Meara, who was playing at Long Beach State at the time, and would win the US Amateur a couple of years later. I was a very good amateur at the time, probably a 1-2 hcp. They were LIGHT YEARS better than I was. Wasn't even close. The day I played with O'Meara, he shot 67 and made it look easy. We were playing completely different games.

    Posted:
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers  2514WRX Points: 751Handicap: 0.9Posts: 2,514 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #436

    On -, @Buckets2 said:

    Only once someone gets to scratch do they realize how much they truly suck.

    and if they ever fall out of scratch due to swing issues or life it makes golf harder knowing what they are capable of versus what they are doing. FML...

    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus w/Tensei Orange
    3 Wood: Titleist TS2 w/HZRDUS Smoke
    Hybrid: Titleist 718 H2 w/Atmos Blue TS 
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and 58
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Bridgestone XS
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members  1161WRX Points: 782Handicap: 12Posts: 1,161 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #437

    Paired up this week with a mini-tour player. We played 9. I knew something was up when he walked back to the tips where I was without asking about tees (at this course, no one, no one plays the tips except me and a handful of others whom I know). Then I knew something was really up when I crushed my drive... and his airmailed my ball on its way to 300+. He only had one approach on the day outside of 30', and shot even par with 2 birdies offset by an ugly double that was kind of unlucky. He hit his 5 iron as far as my 5w and his wedges distances vs clock position of swing were dialed to the yard. Very fun to play with.

    Posted:
    Golfing in Finland!
    Taylormade R15
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Minnow31Minnow31 Members  1WRX Points: 37Posts: 1 Starters
    Joined:  #438

    I played with a former Euro tour player and it was fun to watch. I am a 10 and we played from the 6200 yd tees , he gave me 18 strokes-match play. On the first hole I knew I was in trouble. He hit wedge to 6 inches for birdie. On a shorter par 4, he hit driver to 15' for eagle putt, though he missed it.
    Had a ton of fun. I believe he shot 71 or 72. Did I say it was fun ?

    Posted:
  • Kale_mKale_m Members  2386WRX Points: 481Posts: 2,386 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #439

    On -, @Minnow31 said:

    I played with a former Euro tour player and it was fun to watch. I am a 10 and we played from the 6200 yd tees , he gave me 18 strokes-match play. On the first hole I knew I was in trouble. He hit wedge to 6 inches for birdie. On a shorter par 4, he hit driver to 15' for eagle putt, though he missed it.
    Had a ton of fun. I believe he shot 71 or 72. Did I say it was fun ?

    71/72 from 6200 yards?

    Posted:
    Taylormade Sim 9* hzdus smoke green 6.5 70gr
    Taylormade m1 HL at 15* with synergy Proto 80tx 
    Ping g410 3hy at 20* with tensei white 90tx 
    Callaway Apex Pro double DOT Raw - MMT 105tx
    Callaway md4 52/56/ 60
    Scotty Cameron 2012 Newport 2
  • SurfDufferSurfDuffer Members  3024WRX Points: 182Posts: 3,024 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #440

    The best I've played with is currently #24 in the Rolex Women's World Golf Rankings.

    Posted:
    _____________________________________________

    Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
    Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
    Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
    Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
    SeeMore FPG Putter
  • br61br61 3x Hackin' Hall of Shame SW MissouriMembers  2776WRX Points: 225Handicap: +1.3Posts: 2,776 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #441

    Everytime I play, it's with a scratch to +4 player. I'm +1 right now and might be about 3rd to 5th best golfer at my home club due to my age. They hit it a mile and have good short game while I'm lacking in that department. But I always have fun playing golf with those guys, no matter what.

    Posted:
    My bag of hacking utensils;

    TM SIM 10.5 Tensei Red Pro 60 stiff
    TM R11 TP 14 & 19
    TM P760 4-PW DG 120 S300
    TM MG 52,56&60 Modus 115 wedge
    Bobby Grace LFI 43"
    Odyssey Marxman 44"








  • ldchristopherldchristopher Members  1084WRX Points: 255Handicap: 2.5Posts: 1,084 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #442

    My grandpa was a scratch and two of my uncles were scratch. All three belonged to clubs and pretty much only played with similar golfers in money games. They weren’t interested in playing rounds with people they had to give strokes to. All three were also (and I say this lovingly) quite condescending. Could they hit it long and accurate, shape shots depending on circumstances, make really difficult-looking bunker shots appear easy, and drop in most putts inside 7 or 8 feet? Sure. Would you have enjoyed playing a round with them? Not a chance.

    Posted:
    Driver: Titleist 917 D2 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Max 65 stiff
    3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 13.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Black 80 stiff
    5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 18˚ w/ Aldila Rogue Black 80 stiff
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H 21˚ w/ Aldila Rogue Max 85 stiff
    Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4-5 iron) and Tour (6-PW) w/ KBS C-Taper Lite 110 stiff
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey Cold Forged 52°/8° 58°/10°
    Putter: Lajosi Sensor 303SS w/ oil can finish 
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX  2460WRX Points: 1,442Handicap: +0.9Posts: 2,460 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #444

    On -, @br61 said:

    Everytime I play, it's with a scratch to +4 player. I'm +1 right now and might be about 3rd to 5th best golfer at my home club due to my age. They hit it a mile and have good short game while I'm lacking in that department. But I always have fun playing golf with those guys, no matter what.

    You are very fortunate.

    Posted:
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 8° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Jim Kronus JK-1 Custom Grind 54/06 w/DG S200
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Snell MTB-X in yellow
  • MPGMPG Members  591WRX Points: 101Handicap: 3.8Posts: 591 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #445

    Before kids I played with a lot of scratch or better players (older egolf minor league golfers) which was awesome but since kids my only playing partners now is my 9 yr old daughter and 12 year son. But My wife and I still sneak away for our 3x a year trip to Vegas where my best friend is a caddie at Shadow Creek - he knows and meets a lot of PGA/LPGA players there. I had the pleasure of playing with 3 current PGA tour players and one upcoming LPGA player and it was awesome. The one thing I took away from that experience each and every time was their shot routine NEVER changes and their trigger that starts the process (iron clad process). Another item is they NEVER swing the club without having a specific target in their minds eye. No ifs, ands or buts. You talk about muscle memory and this is ingrained into their entire process each and every time. Makes you really think about the overall process and not just the swing; granted their swings are the same over and over. But this past year I really focused on the preshot and target before the shot and I have improved my handicap by 1 point this year.

    Lastly, I thought my short game was slightly better than good until I played with them. My short game SUCKS!!! Now, due to my practice time shorten due to family activities; my practice consist of 10 minutes long game and 30-40 minutes short game because that is where you save strokes. To steal the PGA saying from a few years ago, these guys are good is the biggest understatement. They are exceptional from anywhere. .

    Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade R1 TD5 - AD DI 6S
    Fairway: Titleist TS3 - Diamana Thump  
    Hybrid - Callaway APEX 20*
    Irons: PXG Gen3 4-6 - P / 7-G - T - Nippon 950 Stiff 
    Wedges: PXG Forged 54* / 58*
    Putter: Cameron SB+ or Edel E4 OR Taylormade Spider X OR Cameron X5 Flow Neck
    Ball: TP5x or TourB XS or Maxfli Tour 
  • JerryTBallJerryTBall Avid Amateur NCMembers  591WRX Points: 239Handicap: 8Posts: 591 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #446

    nice

    Posted:
    I change clubs too often to be able to update my signature but here’s what I currently play
    919 tour irons & 919 forged yes I have both sets
    Ping G400 max G400 7 wood G400 3 hybrid
    Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter
  • Go_TimeGo_Time Members  2585WRX Points: 308Posts: 2,585 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Oct 9, 2019 #447

    I hear the phrase "legit scratch" a lot it seems, and frankly as someone who's handicap is around there I find it annoying lol. You're either a scratch or you aren't.

    It seems like those using the phrase mean it as someone who a majority of the time plays to a scratch differential, not someone like me who bounces around low 70s to low 80s, but has enough low scores to be around 0 or better. Will be even more of an effect next year when the handicap system becomes best 8 or 20 rather than best 10.

    I'll be the first to admit there is a big difference between a 0 like me and a 0 who plays at that level every round. (i see it all the time). There are plenty of D1 college players who are around 0 to +1, but they're miles better than me.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • JerryTBallJerryTBall Avid Amateur NCMembers  591WRX Points: 239Handicap: 8Posts: 591 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #448

    I’m hoping these two play better than scratch tomorrow lol

    Posted:
    I change clubs too often to be able to update my signature but here’s what I currently play
    919 tour irons & 919 forged yes I have both sets
    Ping G400 max G400 7 wood G400 3 hybrid
    Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter
  • ssf301ssf301 Members  85WRX Points: 66Handicap: 4Posts: 85 Fairways
    Joined:  #449

    I've played with JB Holmes and Brant Snedeker a few times. They are LIGHT YEARS better than the scratch golfers I play with regularly.

    Posted:
  • CougarRedCougarRed Southeast TexasMembers  189WRX Points: 106Handicap: 6.4Posts: 189 Fairways
    Joined:  edited Oct 11, 2019 #450

    On -, @ssf301 said:

    I've played with JB Holmes and Brant Snedeker a few times. They are LIGHT YEARS better than the scratch golfers I play with regularly.

    Of course. Here are the last 20 scores of a buddy of mine whose handicap is 2.1, not quite scratch.

    70% of his rounds are in the 78 to 84 range (granted - at some difficult courses).

    This will only get magnified when we go to 8 of 20.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • madchensmadchens Members  141WRX Points: 52Posts: 141 Fairways
    Joined:  edited Oct 11, 2019 #451

    I've played a few times with a +6 at his home course who made a run on the Mackenzie tour (Canadian one, I think it is Mackenzie?) and played on the UofO championship team. Another one, his buddy who also tried out for the UofO team but didn't make it, is a +2.5 and I have played with him a few times as well. They are both friends of my brother in law.

    Driving, long iron, and wedge play stand out. It isn't that they drive it far, it is that they drive it really far and exactly where they want consistently. Long irons are always flushed, not always where they want but always consistently putting after a long iron. Wedge play is outstanding, seems like they always put it somewhere decently close to have a chance at birdie. Not superhuman like 5 feet every time but like 15-30 feet and a few at 5-10 feet to have 3-6 chances at birdie. I asked the +2 once what is the difference between him shooting -1 or -6. His response was "how close I wedge it that day".

    Overall, I think it is just consistency. They have hit so many golf balls at the range, in rounds, and under tournament pressure that they are just playing a different game. Course management is also exceptional, they know their miss and play to it.

    Also, they **** about any minor imperfection on the course ;D. Never their fault right?

    Posted:
19

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.