Is golf your most expensive hobby?

Comments

• BallgofarboyBallgofarboy Old man Members Posts: 1,485 ✭✭
    Not even close. I have not read any comments in this thread. Most expensive hobby: TRY MARRIAGE.
    Callaway XR 9.5 degree
    Callaway X Hot 15 degrees
    NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
    Callaway Razr Tour Irons
    50 degree Volkey
    WITB Link
    58 degree cleveland
    52 degree Sixron
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,898 ✭✭
    Not even close. I have not read any comments in this thread. Most expensive hobby: TRY MARRIAGE.

If you do it for a hobby, I can see that

How many do you have?
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • BallgofarboyBallgofarboy Old man Members Posts: 1,485 ✭✭
    One that has lasted for 37 years, just a very expensive hobby.
    Callaway XR 9.5 degree
    Callaway X Hot 15 degrees
    NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
    Callaway Razr Tour Irons
    50 degree Volkey
    WITB Link
    58 degree cleveland
    52 degree Sixron
  • YMarkYMark Members Posts: 1,533 ✭✭
    I think I spend more on shoes than on golf. But it's close.
    Mark
    Havin fun in the AZ sun
  • marmooskapaulmarmooskapaul Members Posts: 1,342 ✭✭
    Serious bass fishing is a killer way to spend money...lol...There is no end to what is available and new things/equipment/lures/reel/lines/boats/electronics/motors/electric motors/anchoring systems...etc...it never ends.
  • DeadsquigglesDeadsquiggles Members Posts: 28 ✭✭
    It’s my most expensive hobby but it beats firearms only by a thin margin. It’s easy to drop $1000 on a gun as easy as it for irons.

Driver: TaylorMade M3 440 9* with Mitsubishi Tensei White
    Fairway Wood: TaylorMade M4 3W with Fujikura Atmos Red
    Irons: TaylorMade M4 Irons 4-PW with KBS Tours
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 50*, Cleveland RTX 2.0 54*, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 60*
    Putter: TaylorMade Tour Spider Red 35"
    Ball: Cut Blue or Srixon Z-Star

• Ping ZingsPing Zings Members Posts: 833 ✭✭
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,033 ✭✭
    My golf takes second to my son's golf. Tournament fees, coaching, gear, etc adds up with a kid that has been growing an inch per month for the last few months.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• gene_brycegene_bryce Members Posts: 148 ✭✭
    Cycling is the most expensive hobby I've ever done. Sold everything and now just golf again.
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,155 ✭✭
    **** seems we have a lot of crossover NRA members that are also USGA members. image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

Don't want to **** any of you 2nd amendment people off.
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 3,855 ✭✭
  • SixcatSixcat SWVAMembers Posts: 1,441 ✭✭
    I don't consider golf my hobby. It's been my therapy since I was a boy.

Some guys I grew up with drag-race for hobby at a small local drag strip. I never saw the attraction but I doubt they understand my attraction to golf. I'm absolutely floored at the amount of money they spend to race every weekend during the summer given the top prize is $1,600. If they were to win top prize every week for an entire season, they would earn less than 5% of what they spend on the car. A couple sets of tires to get them through one weekend costs more than every golf club I have ever bought.....combined.

And those guys think I'm crazy for playing an expensive game like golf.
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills! ClubWRX Posts: 6,855 ClubWRX
    For me golf is the most expensive hobby. My wife grew up with trap shooting...I've adopted her hobby of fire arms and she's adopted mine with golf...I could easily see firearms as a much more expensive hobby. Also, purchased a C6 Corvette earlier this year, but my golf hobby over the years still exceeds what I spent on the car.
  • vinprun71vinprun71 ConnecticutMembers Posts: 74 ✭✭
    I play both golf and hockey. A season of men's league can be a little pricey, but all those rounds of golf add up.
    TaylorMade R15 460cc (10.5)
    Callaway FT 3 Wood (15)
    Cobra F9 Speedback (18.5 & 21.5)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 5-GW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 56-F
    Titleist Vokey SM7 60-S
    Ping Karsten Anser
  • WalterWalter Belgian Golfer Members Posts: 700 ✭✭
    edited Dec 26, 2018 #76
    Playing golf in EU ? oversea trips... hoing.. Being from Belgium/France Cuisine / no Kids / non other hobby's but (2nd to watches and charity) .. "GREATEST GAME THERE IS THERE WILL EVER BE" ..
    Countdown for Augusta!!!
  • ChristopherMcDonaldChristopherMcDonald Members Posts: 2,396 ✭✭
    used to play tournament paintball back in the day, expenses definitely added up unless you had some sponsors helping you out/paying for your paint. Easily had $10,000 into my setup when I stepped away
    King LTD Rogue 95 MSI
    2007 Burner 3 Wood Aldila Serrano 75
    2007 Burner 5 Wood Aldila Serrano 75
    Taylormade Jetspeed Hybrid True Temper Project X 6.0
    Adams XTD Tour 5-GW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT
    Scratch Tour Issue 1018 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT
    Scratch Tour Issue 1018 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT
    Custom Cameron & Crown 5MB
    Wilson Staff Duo
  • hammer1hammer1 OrangeDot Members Posts: 307 ✭✭
    Part-time professional nature and wildlife photographer here. New cameras and long lenses are quite expensive, plus the associated travel costs. You don’t want to know how much I’ve spent over the past 15 years. Absolutely love it so it’s all good.
    PING G400 MAX driver, 10.5*, Tour 65 shaft
    PING K15 3 wood, TFC 149F shaft
    PING G15 hybrid, 23*, TFC 149H shaft
    PING G400 irons, 5-U, AWT 2.0 steel shafts
    PING Eye 2 XG SW and LW, TFC 149I shaft
    PING Zing 5 KS stainless steel putter
  • rama5rama5 Members Posts: 383 ✭✭
    besides keeping my spouse happy!
  • pga43pga43 GolfWRX.com's Tour Photographer Nashville,_ TNMarshals Posts: 9,237 mod
    Not even close to being the most expensive. All the money I've spent in 49 years of playing golf wouldn't even pay for the scope on my long range precision rifle. Though working in the golf business has meant free equipment, clothes, greens fees all those years, too.

Greg
    GolfWRX.com
    twitter @gdm43pga
  • ksher84ksher84 Members Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Yes with guitars being a close 2nd. I've kind of chilled out with buying so much guitar gear over the last few years.
    Srixon z565
    Srixon f65 4w
    Srixon u65 3 & 4
    Srixon z765 5-P
    Cleveland RTX-3 Raw 50/10, 54/8, 58/6
    Rossa Daytona 1
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭
    Most of my expense goes to horses.
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,120 ✭✭
    Oh yes. By a huge margin.
  • SixcatSixcat SWVAMembers Posts: 1,441 ✭✭
    ksher84 wrote:

Yes with guitars being a close 2nd. I've kind of chilled out with buying so much guitar gear over the last few years.

My 13 year old daughter has 5 guitars, 2 mandolins, 1 ukulele and 1 fiddle. Expensive habit indeed!
  • 3woodvt3woodvt 5 test drives for clubface contact. #footpowder Members Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    edited Dec 27, 2018 #85
    If it includes the gas beverages food and annual trips then yes actual golf is not but all the other things add up to more than the golf itself .I figure booze gas and food before and after is 3x more than the 34.00 a round.

For those that it cost a marriage it could run into 6 figures easily....be careful.
    Cobra F9 8.0 Atmos TS Black7x
    Cobra F8+ 13.5 Aldila7x
    Adams A12 19* VTS Proforce 100hs
    Srixon Z945 4-PW KBS Tour 120s
    Cleveland 2.0 51**,55**,59*
    Ping Zing TR
    Srixon Z
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,155 ✭✭
    Certainly is now that I got rid of my saltwater fish tanks (AKA money pits). There is such a huge start up cost that you get addicted to keep buying more and more. I ended up with a 150 gallon fish tank then a separate 120 gallon (high) coral tank. I wasn't even making that much money back then so it was probably my worst discretionary cost I have ever done. It is like a boat on a smaller scale probably with maintenance and upkeep.

I have never really wanted to know the costs, but let me try and estimate to further emphasize how dumb owning saltwater fish tanks are.

120-gallon reef-ready system:
    • Full tank / stand / tall canopy - $1200
    Lighting:

A four foot tank would need two metal halide bulbs and I would supplement with two 4' VHO bulbs.
    • Reflectors (Lumenbrights) - $129 x 2
    • Metal Halide bulbs - $75 x 2
    • 4' VHO bulbs - $25 x 2
    • Icecap 660 ballast (VHO or T5) - $129
    • Icecap e-ballasts (MH) - $135 x 2
    • Timers - $15 x 3
    Sump & Equipment:
    • Sump / refugium -$325
    • Reef Dynamics Protein skimmer - $400
    • Heater (3w per gallon) 175 watts - $40 x 2
    • External Sequence Dart return pump (dialed back) - $225 -or- Internal Maxijet Utility Pump - $160
    • Icecap 120mm fans $45 x 2
    In-tank:
    • Sand 200 lbs - $140
    • Live rock 120 lbs at $8/lb - $600 - $960
    • EcoSmart MP40w Vortech pumps - $450 x 2
    Other:
    • 100gpd RO/DI - $175
    • Red Sea Pro Reef salt - $60 per bucket
    • Test kits - $120
    • Thermometer - $5
    • Refractometer - $55
    Adding up the above items totals $5277
    • $500 in miscellaneous - plumbing, electrical, etc
    • $500 for a controller, like Neptune System's APEX or Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Elite Net.

So about $6200 and that is before any corals/fish! Probably spent another 1k initially on corals/fish for the 120 only. So counting taxes for everything around $7500. The 150 was probably marginallly more so about 10k.

Nothing compared to guys buying boats and cars, but still expensive. I did sit and stare at them for hours and hours.
  • nmpete11nmpete11 Members Posts: 83 ✭✭
    I do my best to try and not think about the cost. Golf and skiiing are both up there as far as cost.
    Callaway Rogue SZ 9* / Fujikura Pro 2.0 6X
    Taylormade 2017 M2 Tour 15* / Kuro Kage 70 X
    Taylormade p790 3 Graphite Design Tour AD DI
    Cobra King CB (4-6) MB (7-9) / DG X100
    Titleist SM6 48/54
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 58
    Evnroll ER2
    Taylormade TP5x
  • rightslicerightslice Members Posts: 151 ✭✭
    Schley wrote:

Certainly is now that I got rid of my saltwater fish tanks (AKA money pits). There is such a huge start up cost that you get addicted to keep buying more and more. I ended up with a 150 gallon fish tank then a separate 120 gallon (high) coral tank. I wasn't even making that much money back then so it was probably my worst discretionary cost I have ever done. It is like a boat on a smaller scale probably with maintenance and upkeep.

I have never really wanted to know the costs, but let me try and estimate to further emphasize how dumb owning saltwater fish tanks are.

Lighting:

A four foot tank would need two metal halide bulbs and I would supplement with two 4' VHO bulbs.
    • 4' VHO bulbs - $25 x 2
    • Timers - $15 x 3

Sump & Equipment:
    • Sump / refugium -$325
    • External Sequence Dart return pump (dialed back) - $225 -or- Internal Maxijet Utility Pump - $160

In-tank:
    • Sand 200 lbs - $140

Other:
    • 100gpd RO/DI - $175
    • Test kits - $120
    • Thermometer - $5
    • Refractometer - $55

• $500 for a controller, like Neptune System's APEX or Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Elite Net.

So about $6200 and that is before any corals/fish! Probably spent another 1k initially on corals/fish for the 120 only. So counting taxes for everything around $7500. The 150 was probably marginallly more so about 10k.

Nothing compared to guys buying boats and cars, but still expensive. I did sit and stare at them for hours and hours.

Good for you though, I read years ago they significantly lower your blood pressure. As to the Op, buy a boat and your wife will beg you to buy new drivers every year if you get rid of it. LOL
  • howaboutmehowaboutme Fairfax, VAMembers Posts: 130 ✭✭
    Schley wrote:

Lighting:

• 4' VHO bulbs - $25 x 2
    • Timers - $15 x 3

Sump & Equipment:
    • Sump / refugium -$325

In-tank:
    • Sand 200 lbs - $140

Other:
    • 100gpd RO/DI - $175
    • Test kits - $120
    • Thermometer - $5
    • Refractometer - $55

Got sucked up into this hobby a few years back too. Dropped it like a hot potato once it became apparent it was taking too much time away from my 2 young kids and wife at the time (not to mention money). Mine wasn't big, just a small tank but addictive nonetheless. I'd like to to get back into it once kids are older and I have more time....Golf doesn't help in the time away from family part though so still trying to find a balance. Here was mine, a mixed SPS/LPS tank and still young at the time of photo:

• jacksongp22jacksongp22 Members Posts: 313 ✭✭
    Considering I could buy a house with what I pay each month for golf, yeah I'd say so lol
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,249 ✭✭
    Paintball. You guys complain about $500 drivers but kids 1/3 your age are doing whatever they can to buy a $1200 marker and have a $150-200 practice twice a week for paint, air and team fees.

Paintball has calmed me down and kept me sane for 20 years. Golf has been pissing me off for 3 years.

Paintball will always be more expensive and give me more joy.