Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts or PM's. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Mizuno MP-20 - July 2019

Comments

• jerryojerryo Members  1242WRX Points: 94Posts: 1,242 Platinum Tees

On -, @jetmech879 said:

On -, @jerryo said:

What is SEL stand for?

“special edition lefty”

Got it. Man, those MP 20s look sweet.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • stoneydukesstoneydukes ClubWRX  426WRX Points: 112Handicap: 8-10Posts: 426 ClubWRX

I hover between a 9-10 HC and just ordered a set of MP20 MB. Currently playing P790 and wondering if the MB will be too much. I know some mid cappers have great results with MB and I really loved the MMC MP18 I had before the P790. I know I need to go and hit them, but I was wondering if anyone in similar HC are playing the MB and finding them not too punishing. Thanks for any feedback.

Posted:
  • jetmech879jetmech879 Members  1591WRX Points: 289Posts: 1,591 Platinum Tees

On -, @jerryo said:

What is SEL stand for?

Got it. Man, those MP 20s look sweet.

I can say without a doubt my bag has never looked so $exy!!! And the last round I played with them I almost holed out 3 times with them! That just made them even $exier!!!

Posted:
    Post edited by jetmech879 on
    Taylormade M5 TI 8° Fujikura Motore F1 7X WRX issue 
    Taylormade M1 2017 TI 15.5° 3HL Kuro Kage XD 80TX
    Taylormade GAPR Lo TI bonded 18 2 iron Tour AD 95X
    Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW Black KBS $taper 130X
    Vokey SM7 raw 50F, 54S & 58D Green Nippon 125 wedge
    Bettinardi Queen Bee #7
    All Iomic Stick 2.3 grips and I-Classic Mid Putter grip
    Titleist Pro-V1 High #s
  • av1084av1084 Members  1284WRX Points: 140Handicap: 5.0Posts: 1,284 Platinum Tees

That stinks that they don’t offer the 125 S+. I think that would be perfect for me. I haven’t seen such a difference in flex within a shaft class. The 120 was so much softer than the 130. Now to debate softstepping the 130 vs hard stepping the 120. I wish I could play the 130 all the time as it was the straightest shaft I’ve ever hit with the MB.

However I know I wouldn’t be able to handle that on grueling days or 36 hole days. Oh well.

Posted:
  • Aviador NavalAviador Naval equus mortuus non caedis Members  1220WRX Points: 221Handicap: 3Posts: 1,220 Platinum Tees

First range session with my 5-6 HMB and 7-P MB combo. Cool/cold (46 deg), strong tailwind, soggy turf. No issues with wet turf and low bounce on MBs. No issue elevating ball with strong tailwind. MBs feel awesome when middled and pleasantly surprised that misses weren’t jarring - even in the cooler temp.

Will clearly wait for a greater sample size, but initial impression is should have gone MB all the way - or at least 6i. Have played combo sets in Mizuno a number of times and am always disappointed in the ‘easier’ longer clubs - MPH4, JPX 919 Forged, etc. There is rarely meaningful playability difference but the degrade in feel and turf interaction is real.

Posted:
    917 D2 9.5
    TS2 @ 16.5 and 20.25
    818 H1 @ 21 and 25
    718 T-MB 5i
    714 AP2 6i-9i
    48F, 54D, 58K
    Newport 2.5
  • av1084av1084 Members  1284WRX Points: 140Handicap: 5.0Posts: 1,284 Platinum Tees

On -, @stoneydukes said:

I hover between a 9-10 HC and just ordered a set of MP20 MB. Currently playing P790 and wondering if the MB will be too much. I know some mid cappers have great results with MB and I really loved the MMC MP18 I had before the P790. I know I need to go and hit them, but I was wondering if anyone in similar HC are playing the MB and finding them not too punishing. Thanks for any feedback.

Different HC, but I feel like the MP20 MB is just as forgiving as the MP18 MMC if that helps.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • TigerInTheWoodsTigerInTheWoods Members  2718WRX Points: 1,757Handicap: 3Posts: 2,718 Titanium Tees

On -, @av1084 said:

On -, @stoneydukes said:

Different HC, but I feel like the MP20 MB is just as forgiving as the MP18 MMC if that helps.

It's not about cap but to get consistently good results you need to hit middle. For a blade they elevate okay on thin misses and will still travel okay when toed but to really benefit from them you're going to have to put a good move on the ball.

Posted:

▪️ Ping G410 LST 9* PX Hzrdus Yellow 63g 6.5X

▪️ Taylormade Sim Max 15* Aldila Rogue 70x

▪️ Titleist 818 H1 @18* PX Hzrdus HC Black 85g

▪️ Miura CB-57 4-7, Miura MB-001 8-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

▪️ Vokey Forged 52F 56M | Vokey TVD 56M 58K 60K | Taylormade Hi-Toe 60ATV | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 (Change based on bag and course)

▪️ Byron Morgan DH89 34.75" Custom

▪️ Titleist Pro V1X | Srixon Z-Star XV | Taylormade TP5X

▪️ Ping Hoofer

• PmookiePmookie Members  25WRX Points: 24Posts: 25 Bunkers

I watched TXG’s fitting of the 8 hcp who won the Mizuno bag fitting, and it was nice to see the blade was the best option for the guy! Pretty impressive! I think if one has a great fitter, they might find their swing characteristics need a blade for turf interaction, which was the case here.

Posted:
  • TigerInTheWoodsTigerInTheWoods Members  2718WRX Points: 1,757Handicap: 3Posts: 2,718 Titanium Tees

On -, @Pmookie said:

I watched TXG’s fitting of the 8 hcp who won the Mizuno bag fitting, and it was nice to see the blade was the best option for the guy! Pretty impressive! I think if one has a great fitter, they might find their swing characteristics need a blade for turf interaction, which was the case here.

Mizuno GIs have wide soles and low bounce which aren't great for a fat miss. I can guarantee you with almost 100% certainty that if they could have used any head in the studio it wouldn't have been the blade. They had to fit him into Mizuno given the contest. They are a GREAT iron. Absolutely fantastic, but of course they require a good swing.

Posted:

▪️ Vokey Forged 52F 56M | Vokey TVD 56M 58K 60K | Taylormade Hi-Toe 60ATV | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 (Change based on bag and course)

▪️ Ping Hoofer

• aquapigaquapig Members  560WRX Points: 239Handicap: 4.9Posts: 560 Golden Tee

On -, @balls_deep said:

On -, @Pmookie said:

Mizuno GIs have wide soles and low bounce which aren't great for a fat miss. I can guarantee you with almost 100% certainty that if they could have used any head in the studio it wouldn't have been the blade. They had to fit him into Mizuno given the contest. They are a GREAT iron. Absolutely fantastic, but of course they require a good swing.

You sound very knowledgeable about these things. How long have you been playing?

Posted:

On -, @balls_deep said:

On -, @Pmookie said:

The MMC was demoed as well. Some people just hit blades better. That’s the beauty of Mizuno. Then have a iron for everyone in their lineup. No doubt a blade requires a good swing with club head speed. If you don’t have enough speed to get the ball up, they ain’t going to work out very well.

Posted:
    Bettinardi Queen Bee #7
    Titleist Pro-V1 High #s

Advertisement

On -, @balls_deep said:

On -, @av1084 said:

On -, @stoneydukes said:

It's not about cap but to get consistently good results you need to hit middle. For a blade they elevate okay on thin misses and will still travel okay when toed but to really benefit from them you're going to have to put a good move on the ball.

Agreed. Just saying I felt the misses with the 18 MMC worked out essentially the same as misses with the 20 MB, at least for me.

Posted:
  • herbert7890herbert7890 San AntonioMembers  365WRX Points: 239Handicap: 2.4Posts: 365 Greens

Update after my second round with the SELs today. I was playing a completely new course to me and we went from the Championship Tees with 15 mph winds (Texas). Doing so gave me the opportunity to use my longer irons frequently in the round, including longer par 3s and some longer par 4s as well. In regards to the MB, I got to play my MB 5 iron, 5 times today and have to say I'm really impressed with the results (please note this is the lowest MB iron in the SEL set). From the 5 shots, 4 were in the green (closest was 6 feet) and 1 was around 10 yards short of the green due to my own error. I would take that EVERY single day for sure!!! Kinda still wish us lefties had the change to have 3-4 in MB as well, but is a move forward with Mizuno. Next year I hope the JPX Tour version gets releases in left-handed and I will be buying them as well if that's the case (Im that in awe with these Mizuno irons)

Posted:

TaylorMade SIM Driver (set to 7.5 Degrees)
    Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3-Wood
    Mizuno MP-20 SEL Irons
    Callaway MD5 Jaws 50 Degrees
    Vokey Custom SM8 (56 and 60)
    Scotty Cameron Special Select 2020 Newport 2

• lefty1978lefty1978 Charlotte, NCMembers  697WRX Points: 430Handicap: 8.7Posts: 697 Golden Tee

On -, @herbert7890 said:

Kinda still wish us lefties had the change to have 3-4 in MB as well, but...

I agree with this. I have the 4 iron in SEL HMB and it feels and looks like a completely different club. I wish I can get the 3 and 4 in mb like my old mp32 set.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue sz w/ Fuji Speeder IV 661
    Mizuno ST190 3W w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI
    Mizuno MP-20 SEL HMB 3 & 4 iron w/ DG 120 S300
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 5-PW w/ DG 120 S300
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52°/12° F Grind
    Titleist Vokey SM5 58°/11° K Grind
    Titleist Vokey SM5 62°/8° T Grind
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V1 golf balls
  • rt_chargerrt_charger Ball Hitter Members  322WRX Points: 108Posts: 322 Greens

On -, @lefty1978 said:

On -, @herbert7890 said:

I agree with this. I have the 4 iron in SEL HMB and it feels and looks like a completely different club. I wish I can get the 3 and 4 in mb like my old mp32 set.

Both of you need to consider that how many people really desire or need a blade 4 iron these days let alone a 3. Then factor in Mizuno is only making one left handed set, and due to the popularity of blended sets and # of pros dropping both those irons for more GI, it was only logical.

Posted:
    "Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." - Bobby Jones

WITB
    • Driver - MIZUNO ST 200 (In future)
    • Fairway - MIZUNO GT 180 TS - 16 degrees - Aldila Tour Blue (X tipped to play like TX)
    • Irons - MIZUNO MP-20 Blended Set - 3-6 HMB | 7-9 Blade - KBS $ Taper 130
    • Wedges - MIZUNO T20 Chrome - 46-06 | 51-08 | 56-10 | 60-06 - KBS $ Taper 130
    • Putter - PING Vault 2.0 - Voss
    • Ball - Titleist Pro V1X
  • lefty1978lefty1978 Charlotte, NCMembers  697WRX Points: 430Handicap: 8.7Posts: 697 Golden Tee

On -, @rt_charger said:

On -, @lefty1978 said:

On -, @herbert7890 said:

Both of you need to consider that how many people really desire or need a blade 4 iron these days let alone a 3. Then factor in Mizuno is only making one left handed set, and due to the popularity of blended sets and # of pros dropping both those irons for more GI, it was only logical.

Yes I know, this had been beaten to death, I said I wish they did. In other threads I have said I understand, not a big deal. I personally like all my irons to match by look and feel. In my opinion, If one can hit a mb 5 iron, they can hit a 4 iron just as well. If they were doing a true blended set, why didn't they start HMB at 5 or 6 iron? I absolutely love my mp20 set, irons feel wonderful. I'm nitpicking about 1 of the irons I honestly don't hit that much, so really no big deal.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue sz w/ Fuji Speeder IV 661
    Mizuno ST190 3W w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI
    Mizuno MP-20 SEL HMB 3 & 4 iron w/ DG 120 S300
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 5-PW w/ DG 120 S300
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52°/12° F Grind
    Titleist Vokey SM5 58°/11° K Grind
    Titleist Vokey SM5 62°/8° T Grind
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V1 golf balls

Advertisement
  • rt_chargerrt_charger Ball Hitter Members  322WRX Points: 108Posts: 322 Greens

On -, @lefty1978 said:

On -, @rt_charger said:

On -, @lefty1978 said:

On -, @herbert7890 said:

Yes I know, this had been beaten to death, I said I wish they did. In other threads I have said I understand, not a big deal. I personally like all my irons to match by look and feel. In my opinion, If one can hit a mb 5 iron, they can hit a 4 iron just as well. If they were doing a true blended set, why didn't they start HMB at 5 or 6 iron? I absolutely love my mp20 set, irons feel wonderful. I'm nitpicking about 1 of the irons I honestly don't hit that much, so really no big deal.

To be perfectly honest, I agree - someone who can hit a bladed 5 iron can hit a 24 degree blade as well, under that folks may struggle.

Posted:
    "Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." - Bobby Jones

WITB
    • Driver - MIZUNO ST 200 (In future)
    • Fairway - MIZUNO GT 180 TS - 16 degrees - Aldila Tour Blue (X tipped to play like TX)
    • Irons - MIZUNO MP-20 Blended Set - 3-6 HMB | 7-9 Blade - KBS $ Taper 130
    • Wedges - MIZUNO T20 Chrome - 46-06 | 51-08 | 56-10 | 60-06 - KBS $ Taper 130
    • Putter - PING Vault 2.0 - Voss
    • Ball - Titleist Pro V1X
  • uglandeuglande Members  498WRX Points: 335Posts: 498 Greens

So, would y'all buy a brand new set of MP-20s, or new (or lightly used) set of MP4s for half the price on eBay?

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 1w 8.5 Ventus Blue 6X
    Titleist TS2 3w 7w Ventus Blue 7X
    Mizuno MP20 HMB 2i Hzrdus Black 85
    Mizuno MP20 Blades 4i-P Modus3 120
    Bob Vokey SM8 54D 58M Modus3 120
    Scotty Cameron 2020 S.S. Flowback 5.5
    Titleist Pro V1x #68 | Golf Pride CP2 Pro

• JDMRN81JDMRN81 PAMembers  646WRX Points: 160Handicap: Happy GilmorePosts: 646 Golden Tee

On -, @uglande said:

So, would y'all buy a brand new set of MP-20s, or new (or lightly used) set of MP4s for half the price on eBay?

Why not buy a slightly used set of MP20’s? I’m seeing them go for $700-1,0000 depending on set makeup.

Posted:
    PXG 0811x Proto 9* AD VR-6x
    PXG 0341x Gen 2 16* AD VR-7x
    Ping iblades 4-PW PX LZ 6.0
    Ping Glide 3.0 50/54/58 DG TI
    Evnroll ER2cs
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Stars and Stripes
  • uglandeuglande Members  498WRX Points: 335Posts: 498 Greens

On -, @JDMRN81 said:

On -, @uglande said:

Why not buy a slightly used set of MP20’s? I’m seeing them go for $700-1,0000 depending on set makeup.

They're so new that the discount for buying used isn't that great, but it's an option.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 1w 8.5 Ventus Blue 6X
    Titleist TS2 3w 7w Ventus Blue 7X
    Mizuno MP20 HMB 2i Hzrdus Black 85
    Mizuno MP20 Blades 4i-P Modus3 120
    Bob Vokey SM8 54D 58M Modus3 120
    Scotty Cameron 2020 S.S. Flowback 5.5
    Titleist Pro V1x #68 | Golf Pride CP2 Pro

On -, @uglande said:

To a point, a blade is a blade. Depends on budget. If it doesn't matter the MP20 look and feel better IMO. Just get the right shaft.

Posted:

▪️ Ping Hoofer

Advertisement
  • JDMRN81JDMRN81 PAMembers  646WRX Points: 160Handicap: Happy GilmorePosts: 646 Golden Tee

On -, @uglande said:

On -, @JDMRN81 said:

On -, @uglande said:

They're so new that the discount for buying used isn't that great, but it's an option.

So $300-$600 isn’t that great for sets barely played? I picked up 2 sets of 3-P HMB’s for $750 and $900. They’re $1400 sets not including tax. The MB’s and MMC’s retaining slightly better value, but still a significant discount nonetheless IMO.

Posted:
    PXG 0811x Proto 9* AD VR-6x
    PXG 0341x Gen 2 16* AD VR-7x
    Ping iblades 4-PW PX LZ 6.0
    Ping Glide 3.0 50/54/58 DG TI
    Evnroll ER2cs
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Stars and Stripes

On -, @uglande said:

If You could afford it I’d say MP 20s all day long. Plus you can get the shaft and grips you want. 20s are better all around than the 4s. I’ve played both.

Posted:
    Bettinardi Queen Bee #7
    Titleist Pro-V1 High #s

Anyone playing the MBs with Project X LZ by chance? Just looking to get some feedback especially compared to other similar combos.

Posted:
  • GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Members  1628WRX Points: 506Posts: 1,628 Platinum Tees

On -, @JDMRN81 said:

On -, @uglande said:

On -, @JDMRN81 said:

On -, @uglande said:

So $300-$600 isn’t that great for sets barely played? I picked up 2 sets of 3-P HMB’s for $750 and $900. They’re $1400 sets not including tax. The MB’s and MMC’s retaining slightly better value, but still a significant discount nonetheless IMO.

Or, just get the MP18's. Going say for 500 bucks or more. If you want to go really crazy, find a set of MP 68's. They pretty much look just like the MP 20's anyway, or vice versa.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic SZ Driver 9
    TM Aeroburner TP 3 wood
    3H (19), 4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Scotty Phantom X6 STR

Interested to see that Eddie Pepperell has gone to the MMC. I’d assume he’d be in the blade all day long. I still need to try the MMC. The 785 is just too big to my eye despite feeling amazing. I think I’m going to do some sort of Mizuno iron for next season whether it’s MB all the way through MMC/MB, or 919 Tour.

Posted:

▪️ Ping Hoofer

Advertisement
  • aquapigaquapig Members  560WRX Points: 239Handicap: 4.9Posts: 560 Golden Tee

MMC is a great club. I've only hit the MMC and HMB on grass and all 3 indoors.

Right now I'm thinking about MB PW-7iron and MMC 6i-4i.

But I'm going to go hit both on grass throughout the series before I decide.

Posted:
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members  9791WRX Points: 1,674Posts: 9,791 Titanium Tees

On -, @balls_deep said:

Interested to see that Eddie Pepperell has gone to the MMC. I’d assume he’d be in the blade all day long. I still need to try the MMC. The 785 is just too big to my eye despite feeling amazing. I think I’m going to do some sort of Mizuno iron for next season whether it’s MB all the way through MMC/MB, or 919 Tour.

Maybe for some reason he wants just a touch more offset or sole width or maybe a hair more launch? I never hit the MMC as a lefty, but just based on looks I imagine it may launch a little higher at the very least? Perhaps he's pretty steep or something... who knows. This is a guy who hits balls down at his local range on a mat, soooooo anything goes for him.

Posted:
    D - SIM Max 9* Ventus Black 6x
    4w - SIM Ti Diamana B 80x
    5w - Speedzone FX 2.0 380 or Speedzone 4i Modus 105x
    Irons - P760 4-PW | Modus 120x
    Glide 3.0 50/54/58 S400 Tour Issue
    Spider X or Huntington Beach #1 or Toulon San Diego
    Ball - BXS

• gators78gators78 ClubWRX  4042WRX Points: 235Handicap: 3Posts: 4,042 ClubWRX

Ordered the 4i MMC and 5-W in MB with KBS $ Taper X just in time for the 20* weather. Pure.

Posted:
    G400 Max
    M6 3W
    RBZ Hybrid
    MP20 MMC 4 Iron
    MP20 MB 5-W
    Raw SM7s
    PM Grind 64*
    Special Select Newport 2

Advertisement

On -, @gators78 said:

Ordered the 4i MMC and 5-W in MB with KBS $ Taper X just in time for the 20* weather. Pure.

Ahaha. Love it. I might get a 4i MMC depending on how I find the blade 4 which I didn't have before. Finally worked this out so I can build with my shaft of choice. Committed to playing this for the entire season. Stoked.

Posted:

▪️ Ping Hoofer

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.