Fell in love with walking

12346»

Comments

• 596596 Lakeland, FLMembers  3843WRX Points: 334Posts: 3,843 Titanium Tees

I'm 64 with 2 replaced hips. Last hip was replaced 7 months ago. I walk 18 twice a week. The third day I use a cart as my day off from exercise. When we walk it's 4 miles and right around 1000 calories burned. I also use a remote controlled cart. I love this thing!! No carrying, no pushing.

The other 4 days a week I ride an average of 80 miles a week on my road bike. It's connected to vr in my garage. Gorgeous views in Europe, Tacx Neo road feel smart trainer and rock and roll. It's better then riding outside on borrowed time on today's roads.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British ColumbiaMembers  337WRX Points: 318Handicap: 13Posts: 337 Greens

Way to go MG!! Welcome back and enjoy them walks again

Posted:

Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left = bad idea!
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5°
    Cobra Speedzone 3H 19°
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 52° - SM7 56° - SM8 60°
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood from endangered rainforests

• RoejyeRoejye Members  58WRX Points: 34Handicap: 18Posts: 58 Bunkers

I honestly can't remember the last time I used a golf cart (aside from my pull cart). Main reason I walk is my cheapness. I play a course that is pretty hilly, but not terrible and each hill hole has a flat hole in between. It can be tough on hotter days, but I usually play either in the morning or twilight. Walking is also a big part of my fitness routine.

Posted:
  • RoejyeRoejye Members  58WRX Points: 34Handicap: 18Posts: 58 Bunkers

One of my brothers and I used to do this a lot, take his son out in a BOB and using pull carts. These days my nephew will walk with us and even putt on the green. We've even gotten him a starter set of 3 clubs, our dad has said he hits it quite well for his age. Keep up the good work in raising a future golfer.

Posted:
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32690WRX Points: 2,963Posts: 32,690 Titanium Tees

I will only use a golf cart on very hot and humid days...my cardiologist insists I do so (or on the rare occasion I play a golf course that requires the golfer to use a cart). If I get out early enough on a hot, humid day, I will at least walk nine. Occasionally I will walk 18 and then get a cart to play another 18. Though last year I did walk 36, which was my major accomplishment for 2019. :-)

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

Advertisement
  • ZA206ZA206 Members  780WRX Points: 165Handicap: 4.0Posts: 780 Golden Tee

I need to play more walking rounds....

Posted:
    TM 2020 SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Blue - Velocore 60TX
    TM 2019 M5 15 3W  with Fujikura Atmos Blue TS-7X
    TM 2018 M3 19 & 22 Rescue Hybrids with Fujikura Atmos Blue TS-8X
    TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper S-120
    TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper S-120 Blackout
    TM 50, 55 & 60 Hi Toe with S300
    Odyssey stroke lab 10
  • LowCutLowCut Members  43WRX Points: 21Handicap: 8Posts: 43 Bunkers

Excellent post. The rhythm of the game is so much more prevelant when walking. It somehow leads to shorter rounds, but allows for more time in between shots to focus and think about what kind of shot to hit, etc. Feel much more accomplished after 18 holes of carrying too, something about keeping the blood flow moving during the rounds makes the swing feel looser. Take it all in!

Posted:

Titleist TS3 10.5* - Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7X

SIM Max 14* - UST Proforce V2 8F5

Srixon Z U85 20* - DG x100 120

Mizuno 919 Forged 4-GW - KBS C-Taper 130X

Titleist SM7 54*10/S, 58*8/M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 135X

Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M

• BraxtonFullertonBraxtonFullerton Members  91WRX Points: 42Handicap: 21Posts: 91 Fairways

100% agreed.

My back sucks, so carrying is awful for me as I'm usually spent by hole 12-13. Wife came through & bought me a pull cart for Christmas and I don't think she's ever got me a better gift.

Posted:

Taylormade SIM Max 9° Driver

Cobra King F8 One Length 4 Hybrid

Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 irons

Callaway MD5 50° Wedge

Cleveland RTX 2.0 54° & 58° Wedges

Ping Scottsdale TR Senita B Putter

• MychMych Members  2210WRX Points: 411Posts: 2,210 Platinum Tees

Last few years I played in a group where we rode most of the time. Group went different ways last year (1 married, 1 retired/moved, 1 new baby/moved) so I had a similar journey. Bought a clicgear locally, met a couple of nice guys walking early, recruited one of my old group to walk with us and I think he caught the bug, he's looking at pushcarts now. I play weekly and I think I've only ridden one round this year so far.

I'm kinda bummed because the retired buddy is coming to town and his feet/ankles won't allow walking. So it'll be back to riding for a few rounds, then the Houston heat will make it tough to walk so walking will be limited until about October.

Posted:
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    WITB: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5 ~ Ping Anser 4w ~ Ping G30 3h ~ Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Cobra King Forged One 4-P ~ Cobra King 50-V, 56-WL ~ Evnroll ER3
  • jaysno24jaysno24 Members  84WRX Points: 49Posts: 84 Fairways

Just walked my first round (13 holes due to time constraints) with my new push cart and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it! My butt and feet were a little sore but it was awesome! Just seemed so much more relaxing! Played bad but hey, it was fun!

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 10.5
    Callaway Rogue 3W
    TM M4 Tour 5W
    Cobra King Oversize 3-4H
    Callaway Rogue Irons 5-AW
    Nike Engage 54*
    PXG Dagger 35"

Advertisement
  • Brunchz0rBrunchz0r DenmarkMembers  19WRX Points: 17Handicap: 3.8Posts: 19 Bunkers

Think it's the norm in Denmark where I'm from to walk when possible, many places you need to have a medical condition to drive. So when I drive it's a lot harder to get a good rhythm in my opinion, so much more time to think when walking.

Posted:

Cobra King F9 - Hzrdus Smoke 6.0
    Ping i20 3w / hy - Project X black 6.0
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 - DG AMT S300
    Mizuno T7 60 / 56 / 51 - S300
    Mizuno Bettinardi BC1

• bogiiibogiii Members  28WRX Points: 7Posts: 28 Bunkers

I like walking when I play alone!

Posted:
  • jwhite86jwhite86 ClubWRX  940WRX Points: 341Handicap: 12Posts: 940 ClubWRX

I walk a majority of my rounds with a push cart. I really enjoy it, I feel like I rush when I use a cart

Posted:
    WITB
    Driver: TS2 10.5 - Diamana DF 60 TX
    3 Wood: 915 F 16.5 - Blueboard
    5 Wood: 909 F2 18.5 - Blueboard
    Hybrids: 816 H1 21 & 25 - Blueboard
    Irons 6-PW: 765 - PX LZ
    Wedges: 50º Ping Glide 2.0
    54º, 60º PXG 0311 - KBS
    Putter: Newport Mil-Spec

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1651462-jwhite86-witb/
  • MychMych Members  2210WRX Points: 411Posts: 2,210 Platinum Tees

I feel like I pay a lot more attention to the slopes, terrains, wet/dry areas, trees, wind, etc. when I'm walking. When I'm riding I only pay attention to the tee boxes, greens, and a handful of spots in between. I feel much more immersed and observant when I'm walking.

Posted:
    Post edited by Mych on
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    WITB: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5 ~ Ping Anser 4w ~ Ping G30 3h ~ Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Cobra King Forged One 4-P ~ Cobra King 50-V, 56-WL ~ Evnroll ER3
  • CupCupCupCup Members  61WRX Points: 39Posts: 61 Bunkers

From the UK and I have never driven a cart. Come to think of it I rarely see anyone drive. Its a disgrace driving unless you are very very old. Nothing annoys me more when I see videos of the young brats driving around creating a scene on the course.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32690WRX Points: 2,963Posts: 32,690 Titanium Tees

And the more you do it the less sore you will become. :-)

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• BKN1964BKN1964 Members  1094WRX Points: 185Posts: 1,094 Platinum Tees

I walk pretty much whenever possible. Yesterday I walked a fairly hilly course (carrying), but it's not too bad. A young guy in a cart who joined up with us asked me how hard it was to walk 18 (he looked pretty fit). I told him not very, and that the key was to get rid of everything out of your bag that you don't need.

In the parking lot afterward the guys who where just ahead of us said "I can't imagine walking this course." I laughed and said "It's easy!" One of the guys said "I'm 50 years old!", to which I responded "I'm 56". His buddies razzed him pretty hard after that.

Posted:
  • bortassbortass ATLMembers  1628WRX Points: 188Posts: 1,628 Platinum Tees

@BKN1964 Good one, lol.

When I was in Maine, I would sometimes join the morning group and their points game. It was mostly retirees and the majority of them walked a 6300 yard course that had a few hills in it. Some of them were in their 70s. I hope I am able to still golf and walk the course when I hit that age.

Posted:
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX  2061WRX Points: 302Handicap: 17Posts: 2,061 ClubWRX

Walked nine twice this week. I feel so much better afterwards and my blood pressure thanks me as well.

Posted:

Ping GMax 10.5
    Cobra F9 5 & 7 Wd
    Callaway OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    Ping G 700 6-Aw
    SM7 50 F, 56 F & 58* D
    Toulon Columbus
    ERC
    Garmin S20
    Clubs this week

• pat_katopat_kato ClubWRX  178WRX Points: 157Posts: 178 ClubWRX

Ill be honey, the last round I played i walked. It was the first time for me. I really did like it but I feel with one of those follow carts would have stepped it up a few notches higher

Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade SIM Max 9º Ventus Black 6s Stiff Flex
    Fairway: TaylorMade SIM Max 3 Wood Ventus Blue 7s Stiff Flex
    Hybrid: TaylorMade SIM MAX 3H Ventus Blue 6s Flex
    Irons: Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-P True Temper Dynalite 105 Stiff Flex
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 52º F Grind, 56º M Grind, 60º M Grind 
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

Advertisement
  • Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British ColumbiaMembers  337WRX Points: 318Handicap: 13Posts: 337 Greens

Immersed and observant, heeeeeck yeah brother, well said

Posted:

Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left = bad idea!
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5°
    Cobra Speedzone 3H 19°
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 52° - SM7 56° - SM8 60°
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood from endangered rainforests

• nutmegchoinutmegchoi Members  100WRX Points: 49Posts: 100 Fairways

Walk with caddie>walk carry bag>walk push cart>ride cart for me.

Found out carrying a bag is actually easier on hilly courses than pushing a cart.

If I can just walk without worry about my bag, that'll be ideal.

Posted:
    TM M6 Driver
    TM M4 3 Wood
    Ping G410 3 Wood
    Ping G410 hybrids
    PXG 3011 XF Irons
    Vokey 50/56/60
    Scotty Cameron Coronado
  • CT007CT007 Members  12WRX Points: 55Posts: 12 Bunkers

I’d recommend going North, Most all courses near Butler PA are walkable If you are near Madison, that is a bit of a drive

Posted:
  • sst17sst17 Members  77WRX Points: 59Posts: 77 Fairways

I play noticeably better when I walk, the pace is perfect. It's more physically demanding, but I actually enjoy that aspect.

I'll use a cart when required, or on courses that have huge gaps between holes, but it's not my first preference.

Posted:

Taylormade SIM Max - Tensei Pro White 70TX

Titleist TS3 3w - GD Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist u500 3i - HZRDUS Smoke Black 90X

Titleist T100 4-9 - Modus 3 Tour 130X

Titleist Vokey SM7 46, 50, 56, 60(SM8) - Modus 3 Tour 130 X

Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.