What tour would you choose if you were a tour player?

Irishman1979

Imagine you decide to turn pro and have the talent to play any tour in the world. Which one would you choose?

My personal choice has always been the European Tour. Every week you are in a different country, such as Italy, Spain, Ireland, and France. How wonderful it would be to experience that! Also if you play well enough you still are qualified for all the major championships that are played today. So many different styles of golf every single week depending on what country you are in and what courses you are playing. Masters, U.S. Open, British Open and PGA Championship, along with all the major tournaments on the other tours in the world such as Australian, South African, and Asian.

Plus Europe's prize money is pretty freaking good. Not quite at the level of the PGA tour but its good enough to make a very comfortable living and you still would be sponsored by any company of your choice.

Hooters! lol

It really depends on your perspective. None of us is on the level of a professional, I can see how if one would prefer to live in Europe, the idea of being a pro golfer who can go swashbuckling through the UK and "the Continent", golf and country pate and Bordeaux in France one week, golf and fine antipasti/Barolo in Italy the next, the back to the UK to recount golf "war stories" at the pub with the boys and tee it up on the links. Yeah, I get it, sounds amazing.

But, once they make it to a certain level, pros focus on being the best they can. And that means, in most cases, means moving to Florida so you can be based where the weather is always warm, have less extensive travel, and prepare best you can for majors.

Rory.....

‘The European Tour is a stepping stone. That is the truth,’ McIlroy said. ‘It’s so one-sided. Look, you can talk about all these bigger events in Europe [brought in by Pelley] but you can go to America and play for more money and more world ranking points... Why would you play over there?’

‘I still want to support the European Tour and I talk about this loyalty thing.. [but] it’s not as if I’m just starting out am jumping ship. I’ve done my time, he said. ‘I’ve done everything I feel I need to do to say ‘OK, I’m going to make my own decisions and do what I want.’

McIlroy called his choice ‘easy’. ‘My life is here [in the US],’ he said. ‘I have an American wife, I live in America. Honestly, I enjoy it here more. The way of life is easier. The weather. The convenience.’

But it is not just the lifestyle, it is the competition, and McIlroy pointed out that he is not the only Europe Ryder Cup star planning to spend more time on Stateside.

‘I want to play against the best players in the world, he said. ‘I get a buzz from that. I’d much rather go down the stretch against Justin Thomas or Dustin Johnson. I’m not putting anyone down in Europe, but the depths of field and everything is a bit better over here. It’s what everyone is striving for. It’s why [Open champion] Francesco Molinari is here this week. It’s where it’s heading.’

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/golf/2019/01/02/would-play-rory-mcilroy-brands-european-tour-stepping-stone/

I think there is great value to want to be apart of the European tour and all the countries you get to travel to and experience but I would personally want to go at it a different route. I would rather be an established PGA player and get to go abroad to play in Euro events like players do now.

There are also a decent amount of events to give enough variety over here in the US as well to keep things interesting as well schedule wise. While not having the most exotic experience you would get in Europe it would still be worthwhile all the same.

That would be the best blend in my opinion and would give great exposure to both.

Driver: PXG Black Ops Tour-1 10.5deg - Tour AD TP 6S

Fairway Wood: PXG Black Ops 0311 15deg - Tour AD VR 7S
Hybrid: PXG Black Ops 0311 19deg - Tour AD DI Hyb 85S
Irons: PXG Gen6 0311P 4-GW - DG Mid 115
Wedges: Mizuno T24 54 & 58 S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond (Other testing in progress)

But it's far more fluid than being a guy who can consistently make the top 50 OWGR and qualify. Once you hit the top 50, I would imagine your goal is not to just stay at that level and qualify. If you don't keep striving, you could go backwards and lose that status. You'd want to win, compete, get in the top 10. That's what we tend to see. Guys do well on the Euro tour and then once then attain a certain level, they play more and more here and then ultimately move here for at least most of golf season. Another big part of relocating is to be with family together.

I think looking from the outside-in, the idea of playing golf professionally and being a top 50 player but never even top 20, making a few million bucks, and living in Europe sounds fantastic.

But, these guys got to where they are by being great competitors, it's in their DNA.

Shane Lowry....

Shane Lowry to relocate to a Florida base next year

The ultimate home bird is set to take flight. After a disappointing season spent criss-crossing the Atlantic, numerous trips which have taken a toll on body and mind, Shane Lowry is set to relocate to Florida – avec la famille – for the first six months of next year in a bid to re-energise his career on the PGA Tour.

“It is hard and it has been very hard on me these last few years and I feel like that has been my downfall, to be honest. It has been too hard for me. It has been too hard to keep my world ranking and you end up not being in all the big tournaments.

“Like, not playing in Akron last week was tough, especially after winning the event so soon ago [in2015]. But I have plans to move to America for a few months next year. So, I am going to concentrate full-time on the PGA Tour next year and see what happens after that.

“I have been travelling too much and I have not seen enough of the girls and to have them with me most of the time will be nice. We are very lucky we have the chance to live in a nice place with nice weather and some good golf, and I won’t have to deal with jet lag as much, so that it is the plan,” said Lowry. 

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/shane-lowry-to-relocate-to-a-florida-base-next-year-1.3181677

I can see a veteran who is established choosing to live in America but the guys who are rookies , well I would imagine the European tour would be more ideal.

Once you hit a certain age and you have traveled enough, it does make sense to want to live in America (preferably South Florida) and chase the top 50 golf ranking.

PGA Tour. Without doubt. The money is better, and if you were good enough to qualify for Majors (top 50) then you could easily apply for and get exemptions into some European events if you felt the need to roam

This coming from a pretty big fan of the ET.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

PGA Tour. Assuming I would be established and reasonably successful, I'd be able to play on the European Tour almost anytime I wished. You know, once I got 5-10 wins, $20M in the bank and stacked exemptions for 20 years...

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

World Tour - I mean, it exists in all but name.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I thought the only fantasy choice was the Tour 30 years ago . . . .

PGA Tour. I can be a vagabond for real after a relatively short and decent career. Having to go back to the dinner at Augusta every year might get annoying, though.

Edit: don't get me wrong, love the ET and I'm playing in certain events that I really love to watch now.

Mckenzie Tour to avoid international tax issues. Maybe the Symmetry to hang with with all the young ladies.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Play the PGA Tour for a decade and then spend the rest of your life travelling wherever and whenever you want.

Pretty hard to get an authentic European experience when you spend nearly every minute at either the course or the hotel, because essentially that’s what professional golf is.

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Asian Ladies Tour

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B