2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Tiger equipment that never made it big

cw1209

No player can generate as much buzz for golf equipment as Tiger. So much of his gear is now ubiquitous, whether he started the trend or just continued it. Golf Pride tour velvet grips and Dynamic Gold shafts are everywhere. Mizuno irons are still universally praised. His drivers have had commercial success. Scotty Cameron Newport putters are in tons of bags. Graphite Design Tour AD DI and Mitsubishi Diamana shafts are still popular. I think you would see far fewer blades if Tiger bagged a CB. The money making opportunity when he puts something in the bag is endless. Why TM doesn't release a MG TW grind wedge blows my mind. At least they finally released the Ardmore 3 putter with a slant neck like the one he briefly bagged..... So much of his bag is classic and timeless.

The things that didn't stick:

1) The putter sight dot. The only way you can get one is a custom order. So many good tour putters have a limited or no sightline. Jason Day's blank spider (TM got rid of it with the Spider X series...yes I know you can order one custom). Jordan Spieth with a small line on top of the blade (where it should be), and not the flange (TM had one like this with the Juno, but got rid of it with the Patina collection). Why is it that no OEM offers a stock putter with a sight dot? Why are there so few putters with a reduced, or no, alignment aid?

2) The Bridestone ball. A great ball endorsed by Tiger publicly/secretly for years. His switch to a solid core ball in 2000 completed killed the wound ball. And yet when you find a ball on the course, when you buy one in the store, it probably isn't a Bridgestone. How Bridgestone managed to completely blow Tiger's endorsement is mind bending. Having 4 tour balls is a mistake and confusing for sure. Callaway vaulted to #2 in ball sales while Bridgestone seems to lag with such a good ball suggests their marketing has been a total failure. But hey...at least they are releasing a mini-doc: http://www.golfwrx.com/602556/bridgestone-releases-mini-documentary-on-tiger-woods-golf-ball/

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

Oh don't forget the Nike One Platinum

Basically the worst performing ball on the market for mere mortals LOL. Remember the Golf Digest ball test where it performed so badly distance wise that they actually allowed Nike to make a special statement regarding it not being applicable for weekend golfers.

I think it spun so much because Tiger wanted that for his short game. It was essentially a custom ball IIRC

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I'm not sure about this. Nike irons were not very successful. On another note: I think Nike thought everyone would be buying red shirts to look like Tiger. Instead, no one bought red shirts because they weren't Tiger.

• Like 2

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W irons

Mizuno S23 54, Ping Zing Lob wedges
Axis1 Rose putter

dynamic gold had been the gold standard (pun intended) for decades. It is reliable and cheap to produce and was and still is the stock shaft in many many sets. Tiger deciding to use them really didn’t influence popularity that much. At least not near as much as him using that AD DI when it first came out. Everyone wanted that shaft.

the sight dot on the putter was never a big deal to the average consumer because they had no idea Tiger’s putter had a sight dot instead of a line. Major OEM’s build stock clubs for the masses, not the small percent that gets on a site daily to catch up on every little detail of their favorite players clubs. I love sight dots and wish they were more prominent so I didn’t have to jump through hoops to attain them but these companies just know that the average golfer wants all the help they think they need with alignment so that’s what we get at retail.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

"whether he started the trend or just continued it." No doubt Dynamic Gold had been a standard, and continued to be a standard, iron shaft before and after Tiger had it in the bag. My point was that his endorsement will never hurt, and probably enhance the success of a product.

And no doubt some of his equipment choices didn't take off. Most of that was Nike experimentation. It's hard to imagine a brand new golf company, Nike, attempting to make equipment to compete at the highest level from day one. I never cared for Nike golf equipment and always assumed that Tiger's Nike gear was nothing like the retail product.

My interest has more to do with the non-Nike golf gear Tiger used, but never gained traction.

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

Never ever have seen a person wearing the TW hat either.

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Tiger has not sold a lot of hard goods, no pro's do despite what everyone says. I sold several million dollars worth of hard goods and had two instances people came in and said "I want what that one guy is using"

Faldo winning the masters with an Odyssey Rossie II, phone rang off the hook next day and we sold em like hotcakes. Pavin wins the us open, and those hideous irons that we couldn't sell became a big deal.

Tour guys sell shirts and shoes and headgear, the avg golf galaxy customer couldn't tell you what irons Justin Thomas plays if his life depended on it. They can't tell you which ones Tiger plays either.

• Like 1

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

100% agree. The only people who notice/care enough to buy what their favorite tour pro is playing are the gear heads (ie WRXers), and that’s such a small segment of the market. An example that comes to mind is a couple years ago when tiger bagged the PO shaft and it was the talk of the town here. Go ask anyone outside this forum and they have absolutely no idea 1) what shaft he plays 2) that changing shafts is even a thing

• Like 1

Sight dots on putter are extremely popular. For some reason OEMs do not do it though. Look at any boutique customer putter. They almost always have site dots or a site line on the top of the blade. Flang lines is a terrible way to align a putter.

yet every oem does it. Never understood why.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Casual golfers might not say “I want Tigers irons” when they walk in the store, but his use of Nike clubs absolutely helped Nike move hard product. Iness, in general. Second on consumers become aware of specific products. For example, hasn’t Dustin Johnson done a ton for the Spider putter among the public?

I'd challenge you on that, they did quite well at my store. They were probably ahead of their time, to be honest. They single-handedly introduced the high MOI driver basically. Remember the Sasquatch (SQ) Max driver? Tiger used that one instead of the SQ Tour, next year every OEM had a high MOI, elongated slightly pancake-like driver, including the ultimate sticklers to tradition, Titleist with the 907D1 in their next release. Callaway introduced the BB06, Cobra had the L4V and their M/F/X speed not too long after. They were one of the first to come out with an adjustable hosel system with the Str8fit, and to this day, one of the only OEMs to decouple face angle and loft in their adapters AND still somehow manage to keep the grip halfway straight as well. They were also one of the first in the hybrid market with the CPR, TM was first with the Burner Rescue but I believe Nike was the second, but this is going back close to 20-22 years now so I might be mistaken.

They definitely had a little bit of growing pains with their first few wood introductions, that were frankly almost impossible to hit for the average guy. However, they really found their stride around 2012-2013 as an equipment designer with the introduction of the VRS, Coverts, and then ultimately the Vapor lines, along with the 2X balls. At one point within about a month of release my store was completely sold out of Vapor Speed drivers and the Vapor Pro Combo irons to this day are still regarded on here and elsewhere as some of the best forgings on the market. Again, a gel-filled hollow long iron released in 2014....hmm...who would have thunk it that this is the norm rather than the exception now?

• Like 1

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

Dustin is probably who you think of when you think of the spider tour but the itzy bitzy spider came out before he even considered using a spider and did well because it was an alternate to the ever popular odyssey #7. I'll stand by my contention that if you pick 100 people in golf galaxy less than 5 will even know Dustin uses a TM putter. I bet more people would guess he used a cameron in fact :) I'd bet lunch on that :) If there is ANY equipment that people go in there to buy what they see on TV it's those things. The camera zooms in, slow mo, and presto, advertising has happened :)

I think wrx forgets you are not normal golf consumers, not in the least. The avg guy who plays once a week doesn't think about his equipment like we do, not even close.

• Like 1

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

I wear mine all the time. For golf and otherwise (I have a few going back to One and Victory Red series).

They move quickly at the numerous stores in my area (PGATSS, Golf Galaxy, Dick's).

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

Oddly enough Tiger really didn't move the needle with equipment sales.

Most prefer an 009 to an Newport 2

Nike Clubs never really gained market share commensurate with his TV and gallery draw. Putters and woods were terrible sellers.

Titleist Tsr2 9*

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 16*

PXG 0317X Gen 4 20.5*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*/Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

I will give you $1000 if you poll everyone walking into your local Golf Galaxy/PGASS/DSG if even 3 of them all day, outside of employees, know what a 009 is.

• Like 3

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

LOL ... "Gear Heads like wrxers.".. Best comment of the day on here ... So true ... I dont think they even play golf , just hang out at the golf shops hitting balls on the simulator or at the driving range ... i always thought Nike stuff was on the ugly side , could never get beyond that to even give it a chance ... As far DG shafts and tour Velvet grips , never thought of Tiger when choosing that stuff so I dunno ... Nike Balls ? ... Pass

The irons, wedges, balls and woods never made it as big as we thought it would. Not enough people would play Nike equipment "just because Tiger does". What did make it big was Scotty Cameron putters and Nike golf apparel.

Tiger's use of the Newport 2 was the huge push that Scotty used to go all the way to the top. Tiger Woods is the reason Scotty Cameron putters are what they are today, not the other way around.

While Tiger's signature TW shoes and apparel might not have been the top seller, Nike Golf became the largest golf apparel brand in the world because of him. Before Tiger, it was Curtis Strange and Peter Jacobson as the face of Nike on Tour. I'm sorry, but nobody is buying Nike shoes and shirts because of Curtis Strange. Tiger gave their gear instant appeal and validation. It also became the must-have gear for youth golfers. Their continued success in the Tour apparel game, apart from the sponsorship money, is largely due to the fact those kids have now grown up and reach for Nike.

Nike Golf became a legitimate, household name because of Tiger Woods.

• Like 1

lol, true- the 009 comment was made in the Golfwrx'r vacuum, but Nike clubs sold like S**T and Tiger was not able to move them, red polos and black pants on the other hand...

Titleist Tsr2 9*

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 16*

PXG 0317X Gen 4 20.5*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*/Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch