2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

1 hour ago, Cruisin1966 said:

I disagree.  

Add a line if you want one, and some of us will be happy to play without one.  It's impossible to remove, but easy to add

if only you could spin the ball on the green so that you don't see the line....

• Like 1

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

On 9/3/2020 at 6:38 PM, Stanks said:

Oh nice. That still doesn't help me haha. I can buy prior gen BXS new for 18 a dozen right now. Always wanna try some different stuff though. Waiting to see what could possibly be up the mad scientists sleeve. 

Link for the $18 a dozen? Don't see any cheaper than $34.99 anywhere

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

1 minute ago, gioreeko said:

if only you could spin the ball on the green so that you don't see the line....

No line gives more options for ball orientation if you have an anal retentive nature about not wanting to see scuff marks and such  😉

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

2 hours ago, Mattn1106 said:

I have been playing MTBX, previously was playing prov1x. How does the MTB Black compare to the MTBX? Thinking about trying it out. Not the highest swing speed player, but not slow (driver over 105).

Try the Black. We sound similar and it's a great ball for me. I'm medium speed irons, faster with driver because I channel Bryson.

Hey Snell Management. I strongly suggest a better aim line on the Get Sum, more like on the MTB balls! Cool!

4 hours ago, Mattn1106 said:

I have been playing MTBX, previously was playing prov1x. How does the MTB Black compare to the MTBX? Thinking about trying it out. Not the highest swing speed player, but not slow (driver over 105).

The 2019 golf ball test by MGS showed that the X was faster and further than the Black for both high(105mph) slow(85mph) swing speeds.

My supply of Srixon Z Star Vs is dwindling. Previously enjoyed the MTB-X. Think I need to delve back. Orders are being fulfilled in a timely manner now? 

• Like 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

EMail from Tuesday...

This past week we received and shipped orders including MTB-X and MTB Black in white.

We are just today (9/29) receiving the Optic Yellow editions, orders including those items will be shipping tomorrow 9/30, and any remaining orders on Thursday 10/1.

All MTB golf balls are now available on the website and normal shipping conditions will apply moving forward. 

• Like 2

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

30 minutes ago, Imp said:

EMail from Tuesday...

This past week we received and shipped orders including MTB-X and MTB Black in white.

We are just today (9/29) receiving the Optic Yellow editions, orders including those items will be shipping tomorrow 9/30, and any remaining orders on Thursday 10/1.

All MTB golf balls are now available on the website and normal shipping conditions will apply moving forward. 

thank you for the info.

• Like 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Played Black at my little or 3 course last night. Big fan of feel and performance. Putting X up to bat this afternoon. 

Only grip and it’s real petty of me is the simple size / amount. Bigger dimples are just better looking and seem to collect dirt less. But they tend to be a little more prone to scuffing and fragile. So it’s a real trade off. 

I test pretty much every ball each year, but never Snell. Mostly because it's not in the shop to grab a sleeve and try. I moved from Srixon XV's to Bstone Tour BX last year and that ball does everything I want it to.  I've never gotten along with either Pro V, neither TM and do not like the Chrome soft balls.   

But I am curious. I'll have the test pack here tomorrow to take out this weekend. I would think the X would be better for me. I prefer firm. But don't want or need extra spin with the irons.  So maybe the Black will be the better fit. We'll see.  

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

13 minutes ago, RxGolf1 said:

Seems like the MTB X has a pretty wide shot area/dispersion in robot testing. Has anyone noticed balls that travel further offline than usual? Im interested in playing Snell, but that is my only concern. 

Which testing are you referencing?  How much WAS the dispersion, and how did it compare to other balls?  Based on us being humans, I'd imagine that the dispersion most of us have from our swings is great enough to make the ball-related dispersion seem pretty negligible.  I've been playing Snell balls for 5 years now, and I can't remember hitting a shot where I got a different ball flight than what I deserved with my own swing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, RxGolf1 said:

Seems like the MTB X has a pretty wide shot area/dispersion in robot testing. Has anyone noticed balls that travel further offline than usual? Im interested in playing Snell, but that is my only concern. 

I've played many different premium balls and never noticed this issue at all, certainly not with Snell.

The only major difference that I have noticed across balls (other than the expected differences in firmness / spin / ball flight) would be in durability. For that issue I'd say Snell is very high (and amazing for the price point). Probably tied for #2. I still think that Titleist has everybody a little bit beat on durability, but then I'd put Snell and Bridgestone at #2, TP5s at #3 and then Vice at a distant #4 (to rank the balls that I've spent serious time with). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, davep043 said:

Which testing are you referencing?  How much WAS the dispersion, and how did it compare to other balls?  Based on us being humans, I'd imagine that the dispersion most of us have from our swings is great enough to make the ball-related dispersion seem pretty negligible.  I've been playing Snell balls for 5 years now, and I can't remember hitting a shot where I got a different ball flight than what I deserved with my own swing.

MGS. At 100mph driver swing speed, it scored last in shot area and is near the bottom in average offline metrics for all swing speeds. Could be that since its travelling further its shot area would naturally be larger than other balls. 

5 minutes ago, KParks said:

I've played many different premium balls and never noticed this issue at all, certainly not with Snell.

The only major difference that I have noticed across balls (other than the expected differences in firmness / spin / ball flight) would be in durability. For that issue I'd say Snell is very high (and amazing for the price point). Probably tied for #2. I still think that Titleist has everybody a little bit beat on durability, but then I'd put Snell and Bridgestone at #2, TP5s at #3 and then Vice at a distant #4 (to rank the balls that I've spent serious time with). 

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. 

On 9/29/2020 at 3:46 PM, Snell Golf said:

thanks to all for the support and continued feedback.. .been a bit slow to reply here since we have spent the last 4 days trying to get all the back orders shipped out for those patiently waiting.  I am a huge fan of listening to feedback, and as you can see, we get lots of varying opinions.   I am also a fan of keeping the line simple and not too confusing to the golfers.  Once we have so many different types of balls, and different levels of spin, and different trajectories, it becomes a nightmare for you to pick, and for me to explain to each individual what he or she should play.  To me, the cast urethane cover technology is the best... I was part of a very small team that  brought this into the golf world in 1995 with a ball called Tour Prestige (later Titleist Professional), and today, this is still the best cover in golf.  Durable and thin allows us to make varying levels of spin and feel to help golfers have a choice and to improve in the scoring zone.  As many of you have noted, these golf balls are very high performing balls, and may be tough to make better... let it develop... thanks again for the support.. back to more packing now... almost caught up..

Dean, Are there any plans for a lower compression 3 piece urethane ball (in yellow)? Thanks, Tanner

Edited by Tanner25

17 hours ago, RxGolf1 said:

MGS. At 100mph driver swing speed, it scored last in shot area and is near the bottom in average offline metrics for all swing speeds. Could be that since its travelling further its shot area would naturally be larger than other balls. 

Are you sure it was MGS? The latest test had them at 115 and 85 (many have been asking for a third set at 100 in the middle, though).   https://(shallnotbenamed).com/most-wanted-golf-ball/ And the results of the Carry & Offline table don't support the statement. Got a link? 

--kC

Edited by Imp

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

1 hour ago, Imp said:

Are you sure it was MGS? The latest test had them at 115 and 85 (many have been asking for a third set at 100 in the middle, though).   https://(shallnotbenamed).com/most-wanted-golf-ball/ And the results of the Carry & Offline table don't support the statement. Got a link? 

--kC

Click both swing speeds to see 100mph average. Then check out shot area. 

22 hours ago, RxGolf1 said:

I put much more faith in the testing done by Today's Golfer using PXG in Arizona. I feel the test conditions were much better controlled than in the MGS testing and they not only tested at 85/100/115 but used different drivers at each swing speed to approximate what an actual golfer at those swing speed would use shaft-wise.

Consolidating data across all three swing speeds at 244.37 yards the MTB-X was 3rd longest. Dispersion was  13.43 yards, tighter than  Callaway ERC Soft (15.23), Titleist ProV1 (14.17), Srixon Z-Star XV (14.37) Callaway CS-X (15.57), Srixon Z-Star (16.9), T Project A (15.23) just to list several but not all.

Dispersion was wider than TM TP5X (11.27), Titleist ProV1X (9.77 - the tightest), Snell's own MTB Black (11.5), TM TP5 (11.73) just to give you a sense. 

All were really within a reasonable number of yards of each other in regard to dispersion with the exception of Mizuno JPX, Callaway CS and Srixon Z-Star on the high end of dispersion and really just the ProV1X on the tight dispersion end.

Data can be found here:

https://tinyurl.com/y27bcfxp

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, phil75070 said:

I put much more faith in the testing done by Today's Golfer using PXG in Arizona. I feel the test conditions were much better controlled than in the MGS testing and they not only tested at 85/100/115 but used different drivers at each swing speed to approximate what an actual golfer at those swing speed would use shaft-wise.

Consolidating data across all three swing speeds at 244.37 yards the MTB-X was 3rd longest. Dispersion was  13.43 yards, tighter than  Callaway ERC Soft (15.23), Titleist ProV1 (14.17), Srixon Z-Star XV (14.37) Callaway CS-X (15.57), Srixon Z-Star (16.9), T Project A (15.23) just to list several but not all.

Dispersion was wider than TM TP5X (11.27), Titleist ProV1X (9.77 - the tightest), Snell's own MTB Black (11.5), TM TP5 (11.73) just to give you a sense. 

All were really within a reasonable number of yards of each other in regard to dispersion with the exception of Mizuno JPX, Callaway CS and Srixon Z-Star on the high end of dispersion and really just the ProV1X on the tight dispersion end.

Data can be found here:

https://tinyurl.com/y27bcfxp

Interesting. Ill check them out!

9 hours ago, Imp said:

--kC

If you select both 115 and 85, the Tableau table will provide the mean. They claim that since their findings supported ball speed efficiency to be fairly linear between 115 and 85 that the combined averages basically represent the equivalent of 100 mph, but no they did not explicitly measure that speed. 

I'm curious to know if others have experienced what I witnessed yesterday with my MTB-Black ball.  I was playing a local course (Tourney 18, Coyote Creek, San Jose, CA) which is notorious for being windy.  Wind comes from the north and most holes run north/south so you're dealing with either a headwind or tailwind.  There are only a few shots where you're facing a crosswind...and this is where my questions comes to light.

On the crosswind holes (wind was probably 15-20mph) I was expecting the ball to drift 4-5 yards.  I was maybe getting only 1 yard of drift the entire day on these shots - mindful that I only had a few that were crosswind shots.  After reviewing my shot data I realized I missed a lot of greens - distance was great so I was happy the Black was carrying hole high and well in the crosswind and my swing was fundamentally sound (all these shots were from 150 yards in).  But for example, my misses put me typcially on the far side of a green on the fringe or just a few steps off the fringe where the pin would be either middle of the green or tucked to one side or the other.  Had the ball blown as I thought it would these balls would have been on the green.

Now that I know better I'm going to take more dead aim at pins in this situation since the ball behaves really well.  Has anyone else come to this conclusion as well after playing in crosswinds?

-Thanks, Todd

Edited by toddmanley

Bought a dozen MTB-X from Amazon... I think I found my new ball... LONG, durable, and straight.  Feels great... Bummed I am blowing through them but will definitely be picking up more for my everyday gamer.

• Like 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

15 hours ago, toddmanley said:

I'm curious to know if others have experienced what I witnessed yesterday with my MTB-Black ball.  I was playing a local course (Tourney 18, Coyote Creek, San Jose, CA) which is notorious for being windy.  Wind comes from the north and most holes run north/south so you're dealing with either a headwind or tailwind.  There are only a few shots where you're facing a crosswind...and this is where my questions comes to light.

On the crosswind holes (wind was probably 15-20mph) I was expecting the ball to drift 4-5 yards.  I was maybe getting only 1 yard of drift the entire day on these shots - mindful that I only had a few that were crosswind shots.  After reviewing my shot data I realized I missed a lot of greens - distance was great so I was happy the Black was carrying hole high and well in the crosswind and my swing was fundamentally sound (all these shots were from 150 yards in).  But for example, my misses put me typcially on the far side of a green on the fringe or just a few steps off the fringe where the pin would be either middle of the green or tucked to one side or the other.  Had the ball blown as I thought it would these balls would have been on the green.

Now that I know better I'm going to take more dead aim at pins in this situation since the ball behaves really well.  Has anyone else come to this conclusion as well after playing in crosswinds?

-Thanks, Todd

That's why I play them. We get a lot of south wind here in RI/SE Mass off the ocean in the afternoon (sea breeze), and I feel the ball is probably one of the best balls to play in the wind. The courses I play have many east/west holes. You're right, you expect drift, but don't get as much. As many have opined, this was also why many liked the TM TDP Red. 🙂 Don't be afraid to go after the pins with this ball. 

Edited by Imp
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Jlender21 said:

How does the mtb black stack up against the tp5x? I love the distance and height I get with the tp5x.  Any info would be great! Thanks 

I would say they play similarly. The one difference is the black likes to fly very high with the longs clubs if you have a higher club head speed. I had to adjust a little to get the trajectory back down.

Edited by Jc0

Can anyone compare the wind performance between the MTB-X and the Bridgestone Tour BX as so far I can't find a better ball in the wind than that?

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217