SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

Whether you're unable or unwilling to link the video, the result is the same.  Not helpful.

Edited by Cruisin1966
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

13 hours ago, flushem said:

here is summary of his message from my memory.  Please feel free to fill in if I miss anything.

• production issue that may lead to inventory issue
  • shipping cost issue; 3 day shipping to keep the cost down
  • new ball model postponed

Bummer the new model or models will be postponed....oh well

• Like 1

18 hours ago, flushem said:

here is summary of his message from my memory.  Please feel free to fill in if I miss anything.

• production issue that may lead to inventory issue
  • shipping cost issue; 3 day shipping to keep the cost down
  • new ball model postponed

I forgot to add the integrity of MTB X that there is no compromise in Dean's balls.  I would not either as the family name is the brand name.

14 minutes ago, Tanner25 said:

Is the MTB Black considered a hard, mid firm or soft ball? As a comparison, I'd say QST is mid firm. While a Pro V is firm.

A lot of this is subjective, but I'd say the MTB Black is the mid firm ball (very similar to a Pro VI) and the MTB-X is the higher compression and thus firmer ball. 

There isn't a "soft" ball (thank goodness IMO! I hate playing with marshmallows) . 

• Like 2

On 10/28/2020 at 1:44 PM, flushem said:

from 2019 ball test, the fact lays out below.
image.png.ff2fecc2d21b70b6e396cd8b6aa0c510.png

So this is saying that the MTB-X is higher compression than the XV?  Wow, I never would have guessed... the MTB-X feels softer to me... not MTB Black soft but definitely softer than the XV...  I am finding the MTB-X to be the longest off the driver for me, so it seems consistent.  Loving these Snells... MTB black may be a tad soft feeling, not in a bad way... I just prefer the X.  Such good balls and glad I picked some up!!

• Like 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

8 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

So this is saying that the MTB-X is higher compression than the XV?  Wow, I never would have guessed... the MTB-X feels softer to me... not MTB Black soft but definitely softer than the XV...  I am finding the MTB-X to be the longest off the driver for me, so it seems consistent.  Loving these Snells... MTB black may be a tad soft feeling, not in a bad way... I just prefer the X.  Such good balls and glad I picked some up!!

3 compression points is negligible. The reason why the MTB-X will likely feel softer to most people is due to the softer cast thermoset urethane cover vs the harder injection molded thermoplastic urethane (TPU) cover of the ZStar XV. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, storm319 said:

3 compression points is negligible. The reason why the MTB-X will likely feel softer to most people is due to the softer cast thermoset urethane cover vs the harder injection molded thermoplastic urethane (TPU) cover of the ZStar XV. 

It's not an easy explanation. MTBX just feels fuller to me than the Srixons I used. It felt, maybe, more dense? I couldn't sum it up but, I could compare it to another ball (that being Prov1X). 

Shot my lowest round of the year at Harbor Town last week with the MTB. Not affected much by the wind and the 5-6 holes of rain. It went wherever I told it to go like a good little ball! 🙂

--kC

• Like 3

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

1 hour ago, phil75070 said:

With all of the positives about both the "X" and the Black, I sure hope the new balls exceed the performance of these two. I just don't know how that will be possible!  😀

My preference would be a "MTB Black Soft" .....just a wee bit soft....not saying the ball isnt awesome as is...

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 10:13 AM, Imp said:

Shot my lowest round of the year at Harbor Town last week with the MTB. Not affected much by the wind and the 5-6 holes of rain. It went wherever I told it to go like a good little ball! 🙂

--kC

I've been dying to get another crack at Harbor Town after playing it back in '19.

5 hours ago, monks66 said:

My preference would be a "MTB Black Soft" .....just a wee bit soft....not saying the ball isnt awesome as is...

Been playing Bstone B RX along with MTB Black.  Black spins bit more than my preference for irons and around green.  So I hope new ball would be like B RX.  

Edited by flushem

Played with the MTB-X today and the weather here in Los Angeles was a windy 55*, wet fairways and greens.

Been really enjoying the 3 rounds with the MTB Black but decided to try the MTB-X one more time. I have to admit, that ball was relegated to 3rd choice in the balls I pull from my bag to play. 1st is MTB Black, Srixon XV 6 and then the MTB-X

Wow, shot -1 today and I really enjoyed the MTB-X a lot. Just as long and it might have pipped the MTB-Black on one hole with the driver which is pretty darn good considering the fairway/weather conditions are not optimal at all.

A little less black spin for my iron shots and chipping. Definitely the biggest tell is the softness of the MTB Black off the putter face but hey, 3 birds can't be wrong either with the MTB-X either.

Next month I need to restock with 3 dozen. Can't make up my damn mind with the X or the Black... snookered myself 🤦‍♂️

ps both ball covers are extremely durable. I did not see scuffs or anything discerning. Reminds me of the OLD XV durability (one of the reasons I love the XV ball for more than a decade)

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 3

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

On 10/27/2020 at 1:31 PM, Cruisin1966 said:

Can you just link the video please.  I'm in Canada, and as soon as I click this link I am redirected to the Canadian site.  So annoying

On 10/27/2020 at 1:43 PM, Cruisin1966 said:

Same, redirected to the snellgolfcanada.com site

Can't stand this about Snell and the CDN distributor. I want to try the balls but refuse to pay the CAD prices when I could get any number of proven tour balls for the same price. I have the ability to ship to a US address but I can't order from the US site. 

24 minutes ago, Phireside said:

Can't stand this about Snell and the CDN distributor. I want to try the balls but refuse to pay the CAD prices when I could get any number of proven tour balls for the same price. I have the ability to ship to a US address but I can't order from the US site. 

100% agree

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

Yesterday was my first round testing the Snell MTB Black.  My normal ball is the Pro V1.  I was VERY impressed with how the MTB Black played.  The feel is definitely right between the Pro V1 and TP5, on all clubs.  That's a good spot for me.  The TP5 is a tad softer than I prefer, but the MTB Black is firm enough compared to the TP5 that I enjoy it.  Distance is hard to gauge from a single round, in unfamiliar conditions, as I wasn't on my home course.  I certainly don't feel like I lost any distance, based on how I clubbed my approaches.  It seemed to hold it's line extremely well in the wind.  It was blowing a good bit, and I couldn't believe how well the ball flew in it.  The trajectory was what I'm used to seeing.  Coming into firm, fast greens, the ball had all the stopping power I could hope for.  I didn't get a terribly large sample size of short game play, so I can't really make any assessments there.  The durability was very good.  I'll need a much larger sample of rounds with it to fully evaluate whether I switch, but It was a damn good first impression.

• Like 3

I got a chance to try a sleeve of both the black and X. Since Carl’s Golfland is close to me they sell them in store so I didn’t have to wait. Honestly if these were not sold in store I probably would have not tried them because I don’t want to wait for shipping just for golf balls.

We had a few days in the 70s here in Michigan last week so I got to play with both multiple times. I had played with the BX and BXS all season with mostly playing the BX. While I really liked the BX something just didn’t feel quite right. The BXS was not as good off the driver or putter but the rest of the clubs I liked it more. Swing speed is mid 90s with driver and low 80s with irons. 

The MTB X feels very similar to the BX but it feels like it comes off the face so much quicker and hangs in the air a little longer. Off the driver and 4 wood I am seeing much more distance. Played a par 5 that I know well and with the BX I’ve never been close to the green in 2, maybe 30 yds short off 2 good hits. With the MTB X I was past pin high, right of the green in 2. It doesn’t move side to side that much even in the wind. Into the wind I always have to play more left to keep the ball going way right. The MTBX I can pick my line and it doesn’t move very much. Off the irons and wedges it carries well, no loss in distance and it stops very quick. Good penetrating flight.

I around the green and off the putter I will say I like the BX better. The MTB X doesn’t stop as quick chipping and off the putter it doesn’t have a great feel, almost a little dead off my solid face Scotty. But I would much rather play the MTB X based on how I score with it.

The MTB Black felt good and I saw similar distance. It doesn’t seem to come off the face as quick for me. I liked it better off the putter but chipping it seems to be a little jumpy out of the rough and doesn’t spin enough for me. Where I made my decision on these two balls is off of the wedges. Any full wedge shot I had with 49, 54, 58, the Black felt like a sand bag coming off the face. At first I thought I maybe miss hit on the face but after multiple holes with full wedges the Black did not feel great and came off very dead to me. Multiple wedge shots came up well short. Couple holes I would hit the Black and X side by side with the same wedge and the X would always come out with better speed, feel, and proper distance. 

Going into this I thought the Black was going to be the winner because the MTB X would spin too much for me and feel to firm. If anything the extra spin and slightly firmer feel works better for me. I will say I have played the 2019 ProV1x and that does spin way too much for me where I loose distance.

Dr: TSi3 10 Ventus Red 6s

F: TS2 16.5 Ventus Red 7s

H: 915h 18 and 24 diamana s+

I: P770 5-PW Steelfiber i95s

W: MG3 49, 54, 58 dg115

P: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 w/      custom CT Tour shaft (custom red,white,blue paint fill with stars & stripes headcover)

B: BX / TP5X