SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

On 12/25/2020 at 7:06 PM, BeerPerHole said:

Yep. the X is really good in the wind. I actually lost a couple Xs when I was playing windy links golf and launched them out over the nether-lands off the tee thinking the wind would push them back over the fairway. Nope. They just bored right though the wind where I had aimed them - haha. 

170 or so and in (I have a high ball launch angle), and high wedges, I've had crosswinds pull/push the blacks a bit, but not much maybe 1/2 the distance other balls. 200ish (+/-) and longer? Pretty damn straight in crosswinds. Took a little getting used to, but don't have to aim into the wind and expect them to come around.... because they won't. Just going at the target is the best feeling when standing on the tee, knowing not having to get into calculus. 

• Like 1

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

On 12/26/2020 at 8:51 PM, ode said:

X players.....how firm is it?  And any comparisons to the big guys would be appreciated, tia!

Feel is similar to Bridgestone Tour BX to me. Slightly firmer than Pro V1X and TP5X, but not as jumpy off the putter. 

I picked up 5 more dozen. Really liking them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

Both the X and the Black feel nice, with the X feeling a little more firm, they just really remind me of the PV1 and 1x... just better.  Wife bought me 5 dozen X for Christmas when I already have a dozen and a half here waiting as well as a couple sleeves of the Blacks.  Any other balls I have, they have just taken a back seat for now.  Such a good ball all around.

• Like 2

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

MGS had a chart put up on driver speed swing speed (115) vs. spin. BOTH the X and Black are clearly visible on the chart. X=farthest, clear at the top, Black=least spin, clearly to the right. Complete standout balls. And that's why I like the Black, spin is my enemy for *my* swing.

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I switched to the “X”. Great ball and like OP’s stated, the ball is very durable and plays as good as the Pro v1 or TP5 which are both great balls in my opinion. 

I recently purchased 5 doz in August and my neighbor just got me 4 dozen for Christmas.  I’m sitting with almost 8 dozen in my closet right now. 

these are the best balls on the market

On 12/27/2020 at 7:43 PM, Imp said:

170 or so and in (I have a high ball launch angle), and high wedges, I've had crosswinds pull/push the blacks a bit, but not much maybe 1/2 the distance other balls. 200ish (+/-) and longer? Pretty damn straight in crosswinds. Took a little getting used to, but don't have to aim into the wind and expect them to come around.... because they won't. Just going at the target is the best feeling when standing on the tee, knowing not having to get into calculus. 

Yep.  I have found that all this year I don't have to aim as far left or right of the target with the MTB-X.  Of course that also has to do with the equipment change, but these balls just don't move as much in the wind as the other brand name balls I have tried.  It's a bit clicky off the putter and around the green, but that's fine as it performs well for me. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

After playing the MTB-X for a few rounds and really loving it, I went ahead and ordered some MTB Blacks to compare. Have to say there isn't a huge difference, I was a bit longer with the Black, but yesterday was probably the best round driving I've ever had. Missed only one fairway, and hit the longest drives of the year. My best drive in the last few weeks was around 315 with the X, and yesterday hit multiple drives around that distance, and one went around 330 yards. It was a little crowded, and I had planned on trying both balls on the tee box, but with a group watching and waiting, I didn't feel comfortable doing that, so maybe next time. The Black bit hard and spun back a little, seemed about the same as the X for me, and feel off the putter was pretty similar. Both are such good balls!!!!

• Like 3

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

• 2 weeks later...

I must repeat. The Get Sum is probably the most overlooked ball I've seen. How's that for an oxymoron? In this cold wintertime play I occasionally pull a sleeve of them and toss in my bag on the way out to the course and, man, these balls really perform well. I normally play the MTB-Black. For me, the Get Sum is a touch shorter off the driver. But, the MTB line is a long ball. Other than that, it keeps right up. I'm an 11 now and getting better - occasionally showing single-digit play when out practicing lately. It certainly doesn't seem like the ball's not good enough for me. This sucker stops very well on the approach shots, doesn't spin up and balloon. Feels soft. Dean really knows his shite, IMO. If, like me, you like to stop cork sniffing and play a non-urethane ball once in a while get a dozen of these gems - at this price it's a no-brainer. 

Edited by BeerPerHole
  • Like 2

On 1/26/2021 at 11:49 AM, BeerPerHole said:

I must repeat. The Get Sum is probably the most overlooked ball I've seen. How's that for an oxymoron? In this cold wintertime play I occasionally pull a sleeve of them and toss in my bag on the way out to the course and, man, these balls really perform well. I normally play the MTB-Black. For me, the Get Sum is a touch shorter off the driver. But, the MTB line is a long ball. Other than that, it keeps right up. I'm an 11 now and getting better - occasionally showing single-digit play when out practicing lately. It certainly doesn't seem like the ball's not good enough for me. This sucker stops very well on the approach shots, doesn't spin up and balloon. Feels soft. Dean really knows his shite, IMO. If, like me, you like to stop cork sniffing and play a non-urethane ball once in a while get a dozen of these gems - at this price it's a no-brainer. 

I’ll agree with this. While I haven’t played the Get Sum in a couple years, when my Srixon QSTAR Tour stash dwindles, I’ll likely go there again. Great ball in any weather.

On 1/2/2021 at 5:03 PM, scottaz said:

Played in a pretty steady 20+mph wind today. The X is as good in the wind as I’ve played. 

I agree 100 %

Played in a strong wind this week and the ball really cut threw the wind.

Edited by bopper53

Cally Ai Smoke 10.5, GD DI 60
Cally Ai Smoke 16.5 HL Wood,  Fuji Red TR 70
Cally Heavenwood,  Fuji Red TR 70

PXG Hybrid # 22
Cally AiSmoke irons 5-GW with KBS $ Taper 95 shafts

Cally 56, 58 Wedge, DGS Spinner

Cameron Phantom 5.5  Putter

The yellow MTBs are still out of stock, been like this since early December... hope Dean gets them restocked soon. Please.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X

5 hours ago, mycale said:

I really appreciate this video, I prefer yellow balls now, and good to hear the reasoning behind the shortage. 

I'm gonna test the MTB-X vs my current Vice Pros this spring. Interested in the potential for a bit more iron spin and the increased driver distance. Only concern is dispersion, which on the 2019 MGS ball test Vice was significantly better

Thought I would add my two cents to the thread.  I've played the last 4 rounds with the Snell MTB-X and couldn't be more satisfied.  Others have commented on how it performed in the wind and I have to admit it is impressive.  I had a drive with a cross wind of about 25 miles per hour, with a lake on the left.  I aimed over the right side of the lake, expecting the wind to bring the ball back to the fairway...nope, it flew straight and landed wet, my mistake.  The ball really does handle to wind well.  I can't really comment on the distance or spin factor since it is winter here in Colorado and tough to assess with the frozen ground.  The ball does sound a feel great off the driver and the irons.   I will say I have played the last 3 1/2 rounds with the same ball and it has held up extremely well.  Snell has definitely found a convert.

I took advantage of the great deal around Christmas and stocked up buying 5 dozen of the MTB Black. I've only put the ball in play here and there as I work through my remaining 202 Chrome Softs but it seems shorter off the driver than the Chrome Soft I usually play. I don't seem to notice a distance loss with other clubs. Granted, we typically have been playing with temps starting in the 30's getting into the mid 40s by the end of the round. Could it be that the MTB Black is just not as good for me in colder weather than a softer Chrome Soft or did I make a mistake and deciding to switch going into this year?

I swapped my 5 dozen X for the Black and it seems for me that the X is longer off the driver and maybe even a tad more straight.  But the feel of the Black is nice and seems more controllable around the greens for sure.  I really can't see buying any other ball for the price and quality of the Snells, both are so good.  

I found a "Get Sum" while playing and while I haven't played it yet, just putting it around it feels really soft.  I am sure it's great for lower swing speed players or cold weather golf.

• Like 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

On 2/7/2021 at 6:42 AM, phil75070 said:

Could it be that the MTB Black is just not as good for me in colder weather than a softer Chrome Soft or did I make a mistake and deciding to switch going into this year?

The various ball test data would suggest you should hit the MTB Black slightly further than your Chrome Soft, so your results would not necessarily be typical.  However, your swing with your driver, may certainly carry a chrome soft further than an MTB. FWIW MTB Black carries as far as anything I've hit, but ymmv.  If you can, hit two balls off some tee boxes and see how they compare distance and ball flight wise, would be interested to hear your results.

TaylorMade M5 / Callaway Mavrik 3W / Maltby KE4 FDI 19 / Callaway Mavrik Pro 3H / Maltby TS1 4-GW / Callaway MD2 56 / Odyssey Double Wide / Titleist Pro V1

14 hours ago, c50sooner said:

The various ball test data would suggest you should hit the MTB Black slightly further than your Chrome Soft, so your results would not necessarily be typical. 

I totally agree. However, ball tests are not typically done across a variety of temperatures. Most anecdotal evidence suggests that softer balls are better in cold temperatures.

Understand the shipping reasoning Dean. Would be interesting to see what effect free shipping on value pack orders only would have on overall sales. 

TaylorMade M5 / Callaway Mavrik 3W / Maltby KE4 FDI 19 / Callaway Mavrik Pro 3H / Maltby TS1 4-GW / Callaway MD2 56 / Odyssey Double Wide / Titleist Pro V1

Still enjoying teeing up the Get Sum regularly this winter. It feels great coming off the clubface. I don't know what my clubhead speed is and should get it checked. The MTB is longer off the tee for me and longer with the long irons. Don't care, as the GS is performing so well as I make my way through my stash. For this price, I find it pretty interesting. Long par 3 yesterday I hammered a 5-iron and the ball released 3 paces to pin-high for an 8-foot birdie put. With the shorter irons it hardly releases at all when it hits the greens. I wonder if Dean has considered modifying the Get Sum. I would surely encourage a better aiming line for putting.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Teed up an "X" last night when the wife, son and I got out for a late 5 or 6 at the club. It was unusually warm. As I remembered - the "X" is a longdrive ball for me. A couple of big drives right down the middle. A couple were the longest drives I have ever hit on those holes in the fairway. My swing has improved recently and the "X" was very happy to come off the face like a rocket...

• Like 2

DON'T CLICK THOSE LINKS BY briggers! ^^^^^^^^^^

Briggers, don't use short URLS. We don't know if they are good or if they just bring one to a virus laiden site, and it's stupid to just click on them "to find out".  (And also that this is your 1st post here.... I'm thinking spammer)

Edited by Imp
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Imp said:

DON'T CLICK THOSE LINKS BY briggers! ^^^^^^^^^^

Briggers, don't use short URLS. We don't know if they are good or if they just bring one to a virus laiden site, and it's stupid to just click on them "to find out". 

I agree! There's more than enough info right here without clicking that stuff.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Been playing the MTB Black for most of this season and I simply love it. Then last week on Sundays 4ball, I happened to find a ball near my ball off the fairway and it was a MTB X (red numbers).  No one was around in any direction so someone seemed to have left it. I cleaned it up and proceeded to hit two of the longest drives of the year for me on back to back holes. 

Anyway, ordered 5 doz and will not look back. Great spin off my irons and wedges, feels a touch firmer off the putter which is still nice feeling, but the driver performance...man! Thanks to Snell for these bad boys and also they arrived in like three days to my door step in AZ. 

Edited by evoviiiyou
Spelling
  • Like 3

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0