SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

26 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

There's not a direct translation with the MTB Black and MTB-X, it's a bit of mix and match.

The MTB X is firmer like the TP5x, but per Dean Snell spins more on the short irons like a TP5.  MTB Black is softer like the TP5, but spins a bit less on the short irons, though maybe not quite to the TP5x level.  Short game, the two balls should be roughly equivalent.

If you look at the Today's Golfer Ball Test, it can give you an idea.  It was robot testing, at three different swingspeeds with driver.  Should give you a decent idea of how they compare.

I'll try paste the chart results, and here's the link if you'd like to see it all yourself:  https://Not allowed Per Todaysgolfer's UK request/features/equipment-features/2019/september/robot-tested-which-golf-bal-suits-my-game/

image.png.6e7073d980c893560c3a262bdf005274.png

image.png.47606bf55ee4d95860a69e8d82ecabca.png

image.png.1c6dd57e1ddc595e071e1e62abcbeeb5.png

image.png.2087bea3f1a2db0936825d1a0dd920e7.png

image.png.6ca2d65eec27fc13bc49432b8394542e.png

Thank You!

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Played almost 2 rounds with the same MTB-X ball, that thing hung in like a champ! Great durability on the cover! Even swinging less than 100 percent due to a thumb injury that's healing, I hit a few drives well over 300 yards. Only a brave attempt to get home in 2 on the last par 5 put it into the water. Maybe my favorite ball ever, though I will be testing the left dash ProV1's soon

• Like 2

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

When I first put the MTB Black in play this year, granted on a limited basis, I wasn't sure that it was going to perform as well, be as long as the 2020 Chrome Soft I was using. However, after totally switching over for the last 10 rounds I have to admit I was wrong. The ball does everything I want out of a ball including added distance. I'm now glad I took advantage of the Holiday special and got the 5-dozen pack.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, iowollie said:

Hi There Snell golf

I live in the UK and normally play Vice Pro balls, but so many of my American friends have suggested that I try Snell MTB, however I cannot find any available anywhere not even a single sleeve to give them a go, Any idea when they are likely to be back in stock over here in the UK?

If you are anywhere near York I have 2 unused ones you can have.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2021 at 10:04 PM, tcbringhurst said:

Went to stock up, and noticed the 2 doz order limit. I might have to wait until the limit is gone as I like to buy in bulk 😭

I’m waiting. The price point they’re at now is tipping close to my limit to pay for balls. I know dean has to do what he has to do, however, I hope these limits and prices don’t stay in effect 

Gunga Galunga Golf - Golf Photography

I played the X on Wednesday on a very windy and rainy Midwestern spring day.  The X surprised me over and over by cutting into the wind and rain and hitting the distance.  I play a cut and wind usually drops my distances a great deal.  I did not find that to be the case with the X.  Also, I avoided 2 OB penalties by seeing the bright yellow ball in the higher grass.  Snell's yellow ball is highly visible!  I have around 15 balls left from last order so hoping the yellow(5 dozen) deal comes back soon.

4 hours ago, jpbova said:

I’m waiting. The price point they’re at now is tipping close to my limit to pay for balls. I know dean has to do what he has to do, however, I hope these limits and prices don’t stay in effect 

His last video says it might be late summer before the X gets back into full stock. I'm hoping it's a case of under promising hoping to over deliver, but I'll have to find an alternative in the mean time.

• Thanks 1

I really liked the MTB X everywhere but the green. Off a solid face putter this ball just has no go, everything is coming up short that is inside of 10 ft. I played my last 3 rounds with it and just couldn’t get the pace right. I miss a ball that has a little more pop off the putter face, moving back to the BX or try the new TP5X. I’ll use up the few sleeves I have but have an extra box that I won’t use. 

Dr: TSi3 10 Ventus Red 6s

F: TS2 16.5 Ventus Red 7s

H: 915h 18 and 24 diamana s+

I: P770 5-PW Steelfiber i95s

W: MG3 49, 54, 58 dg115

P: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 w/      custom CT Tour shaft (custom red,white,blue paint fill with stars & stripes headcover)

B: BX / TP5X 

15 hours ago, UnderParfect said:

I really liked the MTB X everywhere but the green. Off a solid face putter this ball just has no go, everything is coming up short that is inside of 10 ft. I played my last 3 rounds with it and just couldn’t get the pace right. I miss a ball that has a little more pop off the putter face, moving back to the BX or try the new TP5X. I’ll use up the few sleeves I have but have an extra box that I won’t use. 

Maybe give a try to the MTB to see if it's the X or the difference between the X and the MTB? That said, I despise with a passion putters with inserts, especially on the fastish greens I generally play on, so solid/milled faces are my go to for putter choice for the control to REMOVE the pop off the face. I have no issues with either the X or the MTB on the greens I generally play, but it would be interesting to try a test between the X and the MTB on slower greens when putting. 

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

44 minutes ago, Imp said:

Maybe give a try to the MTB to see if it's the X or the difference between the X and the MTB? That said, I despise with a passion putters with inserts, especially on the fastish greens I generally play on, so solid/milled faces are my go to for putter choice for the control to REMOVE the pop off the face. I have no issues with either the X or the MTB on the greens I generally play, but it would be interesting to try a test between the X and the MTB on slower greens when putting. 

I tried the MTB black but was too soft. I don’t like any soft ball off most of my clubs. I went to the practice green and put my old BX against the MTBX and where the MTBX came up just a little short, the BX would get to the hole or just a little past with the same speed. I tested it for an hour and not all but many of the putts the BX just came off faster with the same stroke, so with the smaller strokes or touch putts I made more with the BX where with the MTBX I would have to aim higher on a breaking putt or try to hit it harder which made me miss my line.     Great ball for the price but putting is the best part of my game, so when I don’t see putts fall it’s time to move on. 

P: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 w/      custom CT Tour shaft (custom red,white,blue paint fill with stars & stripes headcover)

Just now, UnderParfect said:

I tried the MTB black but was too soft. I don’t like any soft ball off most of my clubs. I went to the practice green and put my old BX against the MTBX and where the MTBX came up just a little short, the BX would get to the hole or just a little past with the same speed. I tested it for an hour and not all but many of the putts the BX just came off faster with the same stroke, so with the smaller strokes or touch putts I made more with the BX where with the MTBX I would have to aim higher on a breaking putt or try to hit it harder which made me miss my line.     Great ball for the price but putting is the best part of my game, so when I don’t see putts fall it’s time to move on. 

Its funny how feel is so subjective, i think the the MTB black is borderline for me between hard and soft..just a thought 

17 minutes ago, monks66 said:

Its funny how feel is so subjective, i think the the MTB black is borderline for me between hard and soft..just a thought 

Ya for sure. So many reviews said it wasn’t as soft as others out there so that’s why I gave it a shot. It’s not as soft as some other brands out there, but I like the X version of balls so the black was not as firm as I like. 

Just ordered 2 dozen MTB Black Dozen

I am trying to use one ball this year and the Black is it

Until the high number MTB X comes back

Why pay $45 for the Bridgestone RX when these ball are $32?

I am not good enough player to notice a difference between the 2 anywhere but my wallet

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

Several years ago I played the original MTB and really liked it! I liked the way it performed and the price. I switched over to the Callaway Chrome Soft at the time because I could get them even cheaper due to Callaway's rewards program. This past Holiday season I decided to go back to Snell and took advantage of the 5-dozen pack and, finally working through my supply of Callaway's, I put the MTB Black in play 100% around the first of April.

With 20 rounds now under my belt my observations are that It might be a little longer, especially for me, off the driver. Also, it may be just due to belonging to a different course this year with perhaps firmer greens, but I am thinking I need more spin off the irons which the "X" would provide. However, at my age, even with the irons, I cannot afford to lose anymore distance and wonder if the added spin of the "X" would result in a noticeable loss of carry distance? Is one or the other, Black or "X", a higher or lower launch? That info is not included in comparisons of the two that I have seen.

3 hours ago, phil75070 said:

Several years ago I played the original MTB and really liked it! I liked the way it performed and the price. I switched over to the Callaway Chrome Soft at the time because I could get them even cheaper due to Callaway's rewards program. This past Holiday season I decided to go back to Snell and took advantage of the 5-dozen pack and, finally working through my supply of Callaway's, I put the MTB Black in play 100% around the first of April.

With 20 rounds now under my belt my observations are that It might be a little longer, especially for me, off the driver. Also, it may be just due to belonging to a different course this year with perhaps firmer greens, but I am thinking I need more spin off the irons which the "X" would provide. However, at my age, even with the irons, I cannot afford to lose anymore distance and wonder if the added spin of the "X" would result in a noticeable loss of carry distance? Is one or the other, Black or "X", a higher or lower launch? That info is not included in comparisons of the two that I have seen.

I can tell you from personal experience that the Black launches lower with irons and spins less.  I go back between the X the Chrome Soft X LS atm.  Only gripe I have with the X is that it launches high with the irons and spins too much for me.  Off the tee it's everything I want in a ball.  Black doesn't work for me.  Don't like how it feels and numbers on trackman weren't as optimal as the X. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

3 hours ago, phil75070 said:

I would not expect any material loss of distance from the X vs the Black. Most independent studies (including from that other website) have shown that all else being equal a higher compression ball will go further pretty much regardless of swing speed. Now it may not "feel" as good off the driver (perhaps because you have a harder time feeling like you "compressed it") but in terms of performance it should still go.

FWIW, Dean Snell has always said you shouldn't pick a ball based off of performance off the tee, all of the modern multi-piece balls have extremely similar performance off the driver. He believes you should fit a ball from the green back. Basically prioritize feel off the putter, short game spin/feel, approach iron characteristics, long iron characteristics, and then driver feel, in that order. 

Edited by KParks
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just came in the mail and took them out yesterday

The yellow is the easiest to find yellow I have ever played

No note from Dean. WTH

Just kidding.  

I am playing one ball this summer and this is it. (after I run through some Z-Stars I got on sale)

I tired every ball in the past few months (OnCor, ZStar, Vice, Bridgestone, ERC soft, MTB-X) and the Black performed the best for my game and what I am looking for. 

Great all around ball

snell1.jpg

snell2.jpg

• Like 1

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

Unavailable in the U.K due to no stock of any model.

No response to

messages or email.

Terrific……🙄

• Like 1

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

On 5/13/2021 at 10:12 AM, scott406 said:

No note from Dean. WTH

Just kidding.  

WHAT?! They lost my business. Also kidding but that was my favorite part of ordering haha.

Side note: I'm actually glad they're always out of optic yellow. I've been trying to move away from them. It was only to differentiate from playing partners easily on the course and those bums started getting yellow themselves. Thanks a lot losers! Back to white.

Titleist TSR2 9* Ventus Blue 6X

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7