2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

Ok, I may have missed something, but I just read on another site (one that we can't name here) that Snell golf balls will no longer be made at Nassau and are coming from a new factory.  is this correct?  I thought Snell was the lone company that would be allowed to continue production, outside of Taylormade, which now owns Nassau.  Just curious, if anyone has more info.  Thanks!

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, TNGolfer8 said:

Ok, I may have missed something, but I just read on another site (one that we can't name here) that Snell golf balls will no longer be made at Nassau and are coming from a new factory.  is this correct?  I thought Snell was the lone company that would be allowed to continue production, outside of Taylormade, which now owns Nassau.  Just curious, if anyone has more info.  Thanks!

I thought Snell were made at Foremost?  Or was that just Vice and Maxfli Tour?

5 minutes ago, wantacigar said:

I thought Snell were made at Foremost?  Or was that just Vice and Maxfli Tour?

Yes, I think that is for Vice and Maxfli.  Snell has always been Nassau.  I really think this is bad info, if not, something has changed since we were told that Snell was the only ball that would be allowed along with the Taylormade balls.  

1 minute ago, TNGolfer8 said:

Yes, I think that is for Vice and Maxfli.  Snell has always been Nassau.  I really think this is bad info, if not, something has changed since we were told that Snell was the only ball that would be allowed along with the Taylormade balls.  

Hmmm. Could be production quotas that Nassau can't meet, cost, etc.   If Snell were to move production over to Foremost, they do cast urethane just as good as Nassau.  They have a really good quality control and have the ability to produce the Snell product at the quality standards that I'm sure Dean Snell demands.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wantacigar said:

Hmmm. Could be production quotas that Nassau can't meet, cost, etc.   If Snell were to move production over to Foremost, they do cast urethane just as good as Nassau.  They have a really good quality control and have the ability to produce the Snell product at the quality standards that I'm sure Dean Snell demands.  

Yes, and I agree that if they did come from Foremost, or another place, they would be fine.  I plan on playing Snell either way, just curious on the accuracy of this report.  I stocked up on the Mtb-x recenlty, so it'll be a few months before I even order the new product that's coming in April.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TNGolfer8 said:

I saw the same article and it could not confirm that Snell is out at Naussau

It did confirm that Taylormade has "eliminated" all sub contracts at the Naussau facility 

But doesn't know if that includes Snell

Who knows what that means

Usually Dean from Snell has updates here in this thread but I have not seen any comment from him on this issue

I am looking forward to the new Snell ball in April 

The Snell Black was the best ball I played 

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

20 minutes ago, scott406 said:

I saw the same article and it could not confirm that Snell is out at Naussau

It did confirm that Taylormade has "eliminated" all sub contracts at the Naussau facility 

But doesn't know if that includes Snell

Who knows what that means

Usually Dean from Snell has updates here in this thread but I have not seen any comment from him on this issue

I am looking forward to the new Snell ball in April 

The Snell Black was the best ball I played 

Such as my memory is working, I think Dean *did* address that, albeit less than directly.  As one would expect in such a situation.   Saying essentially that there should be no problem going forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

19 hours ago, flushem said:

image.png.a120727932556815f3e5998e3353c73a.png

I think they are speculating based on what they were told by Penfold who was booted from Nassau. Dean addressed the sale to TM on this thread assuring that everything would be fine (granted his latest update that he was unable to get any orders from Nassau in 2022 due to material shortages didn’t sound positive). He has also made mention of testing samples multiple times in the past year and I assume he would have been more transparent if he was working with someone other than Nassau.

Either way, we should have an answer when Dean introduces the new line in 20 days (a different dimple pattern and/or change to TPU will make the production facility apparent).

23 minutes ago, ab98898 said:

@Snell Golf why does it seem like you're the only ball manufacturer that is dealing with the issues that you have brought up? Or at least to such a severe level? I don't see any other manufacturer that has just straight up stopped selling their product in the past year.

If you scroll back a just a page or two in this thread, you'll find the answer as Dean has come on here to explain all that he's been dealing with.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ab98898 said:

@Snell Golf why does it seem like you're the only ball manufacturer that is dealing with the issues that you have brought up? Or at least to such a severe level? I don't see any other manufacturer that has just straight up stopped selling their product in the past year.

They had the usual supply chain issues, but they are releasing new designs of the MTB X and Black in April. The old stock was just being sold off and manufacturing was focused on the new balls.

Did anyone get any of the close out bags of 4dozen balls they were selling? I just went to check the countdown and noticed there were close out bags of mtb black and X that had sold out.  Wish I could have gotten one of those to hold me over until new ball. Only one sleeve of mtbX left 

Edited by ReidE5
Typo

13 hours ago, ReidE5 said:

Did anyone get any of the close out bags of 4dozen balls they were selling? I just went to check the countdown and noticed there were close out bags of mtb black and X that had sold out.  Wish I could have gotten one of those to hold me over until new ball. Only one sleeve of mtbX left 

Damn I missed them. What were they selling for?

23 minutes ago, ab98898 said:

Yeah, I read those, but they don't answer my question still. How was Snell literally the only ball manufacturer to run into the problems they did?

It feels like they are using COVID as an excuse for their own poor planning. It's been how long now since they've been able to stock MTB balls? And this is while 1/2 of the country has been in the offseason. I don't buy their excuses, and I'm ready to buy another ball.

I wonder why he's ignoring your angry posts?  Lol.  Did you create an account just to comment in the Snell ball thread?

FWIW Dean was on here and he went through (explained) what he was going through.  He's a very small operator in the ball industry and can't compete with large contracts for raw materials so his contracts get filled last when a shortage exists. 

I'd speculate that besides raw material issues there might be something going on with Taylor Made buying the ball plant he had contracted to manufacture his balls.  It's just speculation on my part.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

17 hours ago, ab98898 said:

Yeah, I read those, but they don't answer my question still. How was Snell literally the only ball manufacturer to run into the problems they did?

It feels like they are using COVID as an excuse for their own poor planning. It's been how long now since they've been able to stock MTB balls? And this is while 1/2 of the country has been in the offseason. I don't buy their excuses, and I'm ready to buy another ball.

I can't tell you anything more than what others and Dean himself has told us.  Lots of places have had distribution issues, it wasn't that long ago that people were having issues getting certain types of grips, and there are threads on this site talking about recent delays from other golf club manufacturers and the wait time.  Go elsewhere if you must,(if you've really even been a customer) but just remember Dean was the first to bring an affordable tour level ball to us, direct to consumer with free shipping at the time, and as someone else said, is a legend in the golf ball industry and might very well be the GOAT.  And the new product is available in 1 week and 1 day.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ab98898 said:

Did you ever think that it's just that Dean Snell is the only one who's told us about this?  Combine that with the GolfWRX Effect on golf item popularity...   it's easy to see.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I read some of the posts in these threads and think to myself "It's freakin golf balls and there are another 6-10 models that will play/feel pretty much the same. No one posting here is playing for a living just pick another and move on"

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On 3/23/2023 at 2:50 PM, ab98898 said:

This post couldn’t be more off base.

if you want to buy something else - go for it. But you may want educate yourself moving forward.

I can assure you Dean is and has done everything possible to get his product to the market.

• Like 2

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

Keeping and eye on this thread.  Looking forward to hearing from Dean.  

• Like 1

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

On 3/23/2023 at 3:50 PM, ab98898 said:

Yeah, no. Welcome to GolfWRX, where there's a long line of threads, posts, and videos from Dean explaining what's going on. That you think they're the only one that had issues, it means you haven't actually taken to time to understand the context and history of what went on due to supply issues and TM buying the factory. It's not only this thread, or website, that discusses it. 

Edited by Imp
  • Like 1

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I am looking forward to the new Snell balls. I think the OP was maybe alluding to Snell seeming to have more issues than the others. Yes ALL have had issues but all have put out new balls since COVID aside from Snell. Snell obviously had more issues than the others at no fault of Deans. Just some extra unforeseen circumstances but I understand the frustration by some. Hopefully the new balls will be readily available when released. 

15 hours ago, Flyers99 said:

I am looking forward to the new Snell balls. I think the OP was maybe alluding to Snell seeming to have more issues than the others. Yes ALL have had issues but all have put out new balls since COVID aside from Snell. Snell obviously had more issues than the others at no fault of Deans. Just some extra unforeseen circumstances but I understand the frustration by some. Hopefully the new balls will be readily available when released. 

It hasn't been much of a mystery.  Smaller customers are a lower priority for the companies that produce the balls and TM gaining control of the factory that made Snell balls would add more complexity.  Small companies don't really put out much in the way of numbers but when I look at the list of balls in the last MGS ball test, I have to think that Snell would be the among the smallest brands along with MG (the C4 disappeared well over a year ago and they just have the non-conforming Senior ball now) and possibly Oncore (I don't know enough about them to speculate how many balls they sell).

3 hours ago, cardigan said:

It hasn't been much of a mystery.  Smaller customers are a lower priority for the companies that produce the balls and TM gaining control of the factory that made Snell balls would add more complexity.  Small companies don't really put out much in the way of numbers but when I look at the list of balls in the last MGS ball test, I have to think that Snell would be the among the smallest brands along with MG (the C4 disappeared well over a year ago and they just have the non-conforming Senior ball now) and possibly Oncore (I don't know enough about them to speculate how many balls they sell).

Nassau had been working with Penfold for over 20 years and when TM took over they wouldn’t return their calls. It took them getting in touch with a plant floor manager to find out their existing orders would not be filled. Callaway offered to take over if they couldn’t find anyone else. They ended up going with Launch Tech in Taiwan for now. Hopefully Snell got a deal with Foremost if in fact Nassau has cut ties.

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

5 hours ago, deepred said:

Nassau had been working with Penfold for over 20 years and when TM took over they wouldn’t return their calls. It took them getting in touch with a plant floor manager to find out their existing orders would not be filled. Callaway offered to take over if they couldn’t find anyone else. They ended up going with Launch Tech in Taiwan for now. Hopefully Snell got a deal with Foremost if in fact Nassau has cut ties.

Quote from MyGolf$py’s Penfold article:

“They said if push came to shove to let them know. They were very positive and supportive of our brand.”

I don’t interpret this as Callaway offering to produce balls for them, more offering help in finding an alternative production source. They ultimately landed with Launch Technologies who produces Callaway’s ionomer balls.

Dean’s situation is much different given that he was the VP of ball R&D for Taylormade until 2015 and was likely Nassau’s largest DTC customer.