2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Kirkland Signature (Costco) golf balls (MERGED) (NO BST POSTS)

Swoff57

> @Girevik said:

> > @dwboston said:

> >

> > The problem with this example is that Costco doesn't run the bakery. It contracts out to a different baker for cupcakes at a specific price point, has another company package them up, sells them as "comparable to the leading cupcakes", and apparently has no mechanism/capability for actually determining the quality of said cupcakes.

> >

> >At least with golf balls, unlike cupcakes, no one gets food poisoning when they are "undercooked".

>

> Whether I'm selling the cupcakes in my own storefront or shipping them off to Hostess to put their name on, the point is the same. It makes no sense to me to shut down the operation if the problem can be easily fixed. Hostess wouldn't have given me the contract if they weren't convinced I can deliver, and given Costco's protective attitude to the Kirkland name I'm sure they wouldn't have signed on with the new manufacturer without having done their research. I'd be surprised if we don't see the ball again.

>

> And thanks for pointing out my typo even though I corrected it before you quoted my post.

>

>

Wasn't pointing out any typos, not sure where you got that.

And apparently Costco did sign on with a new manufacturer without enough research, since it had to do a complete recall/refund of the first batch of product from that manufacturer. I guess golf balls aren't as easy as they thought - there's a little more to it, especially when they are slapping their prized in-house brand name on the product.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

I thought the complete recall / automatic refunds was unnecessary and well above and beyond what what required. I would have been just fine with the return policy for whoever wanted to take advantage. Them doing that was another huge plus in my mind, not a negative. We still don't know just how widespread the issue was; it seems that from what folks reported here far more got balls that were just fine.

It's definitely a bad look that it happened on the first batch, but I'm guessing it's a one-off. Many, many companies of all stripes have had recalls without it becoming an everyday occurrence. Time will tell, but the track record makes me think it's not something they will get a handle on.

Sto Pro Veritate

> @Girevik said:

> I thought the complete recall / automatic refunds was unnecessary and well above and beyond what what required. I would have been just fine with the return policy for whoever wanted to take advantage. Them doing that was another huge plus in my mind, not a negative. We still don't know just how widespread the issue was; it seems that from what folks reported here far more got balls that were just fine.

>

> It's definitely a bad look that it happened on the first batch, but I'm guessing it's a one-off. Many, many companies of all stripes have had recalls without it becoming an everyday occurrence. Time will tell, but the track record makes me think it's not something they will get a handle on.

My Toyota 4 Runner had a recall for an airbag, perfect example. Probably one of the most reliable cars/trucks ever made. Stuff happens, it'll get fixed.

• Like 2

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

> @gioreeko said:

> > @Girevik said:

> > I thought the complete recall / automatic refunds was unnecessary and well above and beyond what what required. I would have been just fine with the return policy for whoever wanted to take advantage. Them doing that was another huge plus in my mind, not a negative. We still don't know just how widespread the issue was; it seems that from what folks reported here far more got balls that were just fine.

> >

> > It's definitely a bad look that it happened on the first batch, but I'm guessing it's a one-off. Many, many companies of all stripes have had recalls without it becoming an everyday occurrence. Time will tell, but the track record makes me think it's not something they will get a handle on.

>

> My Toyota 4 Runner had a recall for an airbag, perfect example. Probably one of the most reliable cars/trucks ever made. Stuff happens, it'll get fixed.

Exactly, I almost used a car example but didn't want open the "that brand sucks" can of worms. :)

And what even Toyota didn't do was send you your money back and tell you to keep the car.

Sto Pro Veritate

Lol at the comparison of a car with literally hundreds of suppliers parts to make up its sum VS a golf ball which at most has 2. Totypta doesn’t issue a refund because it’s a modular design and if Takata ever gets enough bags made they can just replace it. You can’t replace the cover on a ball. It’s a pass/fail proposition. The cupcake comparison was more accurate. Also pass/fail.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Yeah, giving you a free car was a joke. It's also a touch more expensive than a golf ball.

But the parallel is that Toyota make a damn fine, perfectly reliable car. And because of that when there are issue people trust them to fix the issue and continue producing a quality product. People who know Kirkland look at it the same way; the bad balls were likely an outlier and we'll probably see the good ones produced down the road.

Sto Pro Veritate

> @Girevik said:

> Yeah, giving you a free car was a joke. It's also a touch more expensive than a golf ball.

>

> But the parallel is that Toyota make a **** fine, perfectly reliable car. And because of that when there are issue people trust them to fix the issue and continue producing a quality product. People who know Kirkland look at it the same way; the bad balls were likely an outlier and we'll probably see the good ones produced down the road.

The problem with that comparison is that Toyota makes/assembles the vehicle so has quality control. What quality control does Costco have over a golf ball being wholly made by someone else? They can get recompense from the manufacturer but the consumer sees it as a Kirkland fail. Not the ball manufacturer.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @Shilgy said:

> > @Girevik said:

> > Yeah, giving you a free car was a joke. It's also a touch more expensive than a golf ball.

> >

> > But the parallel is that Toyota make a **** fine, perfectly reliable car. And because of that when there are issue people trust them to fix the issue and continue producing a quality product. People who know Kirkland look at it the same way; the bad balls were likely an outlier and we'll probably see the good ones produced down the road.

>

> The problem with that comparison is that Toyota makes/assembles the vehicle so has quality control. What quality control does Costco have over a golf ball being wholly made by someone else? They can get recompense from the manufacturer but the consumer sees it as a Kirkland fail. Not the ball manufacturer.

They didn't manufacture the airbag.

Maltby TSW sand wedge

> @gioreeko said:

> > @Shilgy said:

> > > @Girevik said:

> > > Yeah, giving you a free car was a joke. It's also a touch more expensive than a golf ball.

> > >

> > > But the parallel is that Toyota make a **** fine, perfectly reliable car. And because of that when there are issue people trust them to fix the issue and continue producing a quality product. People who know Kirkland look at it the same way; the bad balls were likely an outlier and we'll probably see the good ones produced down the road.

> >

> > The problem with that comparison is that Toyota makes/assembles the vehicle so has quality control. What quality control does Costco have over a golf ball being wholly made by someone else? They can get recompense from the manufacturer but the consumer sees it as a Kirkland fail. Not the ball manufacturer.

>

> They didn't manufacture the airbag.

And I'm quite aware of that, as are most consumers. The ball is a different issue.

If a person that never perviously owned a Toyota was shopping for a new ride was considering a Toyota and was informed of the previous airbag recall their likely response would be that pretty much most brands were affected by the Takata issue. It was all over the news. The golf ball would likely be viewed as a Costco quality issue.

A very informed consumer could car shop for a vehicle with a different brand of airbag.

Edited to add, some folks would still purchase the Toyota just like some fans will still buy a Kirkland ball. Which is perfectly fair in either case.

> @Shilgy said:

>

> What quality control does Costco have over a golf ball being wholly made by someone else?

Costco doesn't have oil drills and gas refineries either. Nor liquor distilleries, pharmaceutical companies, or about anything else they put the Kirkland name on. They've been successful in these other areas, so that leads me to believe they wouldn't have rolled out the new ball without the same confidence. That and the fact that the 3 piece has been out for years with no issues leads me to believe they are perfectly capable of doing the same here.

I'm also confident that if they think that's NOT the case they will scrap the ball rather than release balls with more issues, but I think it's more likely than not that they will whip the manufacturer into shape and we'll be lousy with KP1 next summer.

Sto Pro Veritate

> @Girevik said:

> > @Shilgy said:

> >

> > What quality control does Costco have over a golf ball being wholly made by someone else?

>

> Costco doesn't have oil drills and gas refineries either. Nor liquor distilleries, pharmaceutical companies, or about anything else they put the Kirkland name on. They've been successful in these other areas, so that leads me to believe they wouldn't have rolled out the new ball without the same confidence. That and the fact that the 3 piece has been out for years with no issues leads me to believe they are perfectly capable of doing the same here.

>

> I'm also confident that if they think that's NOT the case they will scrap the ball rather than release balls with more issues, but I think it's more likely than not that they will whip the manufacturer into shape and we'll be lousy with KP1 next summer.

The blind faith in Costco/Kirkland is interesting. Clearly there's something more difficult about making/procuring a 4-piece urethane golf ball, especially at the bargain bin Costco price. Costco couldn't get enough (or ongoing) supply of the first one, and the second one literally failed. Maybe the 3rd time's the charm.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

> @dwboston said:

> > @Girevik said:

> > > @Shilgy said:

> > >

> > > What quality control does Costco have over a golf ball being wholly made by someone else?

> >

> > Costco doesn't have oil drills and gas refineries either. Nor liquor distilleries, pharmaceutical companies, or about anything else they put the Kirkland name on. They've been successful in these other areas, so that leads me to believe they wouldn't have rolled out the new ball without the same confidence. That and the fact that the 3 piece has been out for years with no issues leads me to believe they are perfectly capable of doing the same here.

> >

> > I'm also confident that if they think that's NOT the case they will scrap the ball rather than release balls with more issues, but I think it's more likely than not that they will whip the manufacturer into shape and we'll be lousy with KP1 next summer.

>

> The blind faith in Costco/Kirkland is interesting. Clearly there's something more difficult about making/procuring a 4-piece urethane golf ball, especially at the bargain bin Costco price. Costco couldn't get enough (or ongoing) supply of the first one, and the second one literally failed. Maybe the 3rd time's the charm.

Lol, the entire post you quoted was REASONS for the faith in the Kirkland brand, and it's one of many. Yet people persist in calling it "blind" faith. Makes me wonder who is blind.

It remains to be seen if most recent ball has failed. I believe that, like Arnold, it will be back.

• Like 1

Sto Pro Veritate

> @dwboston said:

> > @Girevik said:

> > > @Shilgy said:

> > >

> > > What quality control does Costco have over a golf ball being wholly made by someone else?

> >

> > Costco doesn't have oil drills and gas refineries either. Nor liquor distilleries, pharmaceutical companies, or about anything else they put the Kirkland name on. They've been successful in these other areas, so that leads me to believe they wouldn't have rolled out the new ball without the same confidence. That and the fact that the 3 piece has been out for years with no issues leads me to believe they are perfectly capable of doing the same here.

> >

> > I'm also confident that if they think that's NOT the case they will scrap the ball rather than release balls with more issues, but I think it's more likely than not that they will whip the manufacturer into shape and we'll be lousy with KP1 next summer.

>

> The **blind faith** in Costco/Kirkland is interesting. Clearly there's something more difficult about making/procuring a 4-piece urethane golf ball, especially at the bargain bin Costco price. Costco couldn't get enough (or ongoing) supply of the first one, and the second one literally failed. Maybe the 3rd time's the charm.

I don't see anything in this thread that is blind faith. While the Costco-praise in this thread may come off as cult-like, it surely is not _blind faith_. Costco's return policy is literally the best in the world and Costo always tries to do right by its customers. This fact is easily shown through Costco's actions in refunding everybody who purchased the "failed" KP1's... Costco saw the problem and remedied it. They didn't have to refund everyone, because not everyone received bad balls. But, they did. Those that love Costco have ample reasons for their love, first of which is that Costco has earned it. There is nothing blind about it.

• Like 3

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

> @Philomathesq said:

> > @dwboston said:

> > > @Girevik said:

> > > > @Shilgy said:

> > > >

> > > > What quality control does Costco have over a golf ball being wholly made by someone else?

> > >

> > > Costco doesn't have oil drills and gas refineries either. Nor liquor distilleries, pharmaceutical companies, or about anything else they put the Kirkland name on. They've been successful in these other areas, so that leads me to believe they wouldn't have rolled out the new ball without the same confidence. That and the fact that the 3 piece has been out for years with no issues leads me to believe they are perfectly capable of doing the same here.

> > >

> > > I'm also confident that if they think that's NOT the case they will scrap the ball rather than release balls with more issues, but I think it's more likely than not that they will whip the manufacturer into shape and we'll be lousy with KP1 next summer.

> >

> > The **blind faith** in Costco/Kirkland is interesting. Clearly there's something more difficult about making/procuring a 4-piece urethane golf ball, especially at the bargain bin Costco price. Costco couldn't get enough (or ongoing) supply of the first one, and the second one literally failed. Maybe the 3rd time's the charm.

>

> I don't see anything in this thread that is blind faith. While the Costco-praise in this thread may come off as cult-like, it surely is not _blind faith_. Costco's return policy is literally the best in the world and Costo always tries to do right by its customers. This fact is easily shown through Costco's actions in refunding everybody who purchased the "failed" KP1's... Costco saw the problem and remedied it. They didn't have to refund everyone, because not everyone received bad balls. But, they did. Those that love Costco have ample reasons for their love, first of which is that Costco has earned it. There is nothing blind about it.

I would agree 100% with your post. And I freely admit to not being a Costco member. And for regular play I would agree with you and your Costco brethren on the next ball.

BUT....biggest tournament of your life. Will you bring a sleeve of the newly restocked ball if it just hit the shelves or go with an established brand?

> @Shilgy said:

> > @Philomathesq said:

> > > @dwboston said:

> > > > @Girevik said:

> > > > > @Shilgy said:

> > > > >

> > > > > What quality control does Costco have over a golf ball being wholly made by someone else?

> > > >

> > > > Costco doesn't have oil drills and gas refineries either. Nor liquor distilleries, pharmaceutical companies, or about anything else they put the Kirkland name on. They've been successful in these other areas, so that leads me to believe they wouldn't have rolled out the new ball without the same confidence. That and the fact that the 3 piece has been out for years with no issues leads me to believe they are perfectly capable of doing the same here.

> > > >

> > > > I'm also confident that if they think that's NOT the case they will scrap the ball rather than release balls with more issues, but I think it's more likely than not that they will whip the manufacturer into shape and we'll be lousy with KP1 next summer.

> > >

> > > The **blind faith** in Costco/Kirkland is interesting. Clearly there's something more difficult about making/procuring a 4-piece urethane golf ball, especially at the bargain bin Costco price. Costco couldn't get enough (or ongoing) supply of the first one, and the second one literally failed. Maybe the 3rd time's the charm.

> >

> > I don't see anything in this thread that is blind faith. While the Costco-praise in this thread may come off as cult-like, it surely is not _blind faith_. Costco's return policy is literally the best in the world and Costo always tries to do right by its customers. This fact is easily shown through Costco's actions in refunding everybody who purchased the "failed" KP1's... Costco saw the problem and remedied it. They didn't have to refund everyone, because not everyone received bad balls. But, they did. Those that love Costco have ample reasons for their love, first of which is that Costco has earned it. There is nothing blind about it.

>

> I would agree 100% with your post. And I freely admit to not being a Costco member. And for regular play I would agree with you and your Costco brethren on the next ball.

> BUT....biggest tournament of your life. Will you bring a sleeve of the newly restocked ball if it just hit the shelves or go with an established brand?

Haha... There is a big difference between brand loyalty (which is earned) and stupidity. Although, I wouldn't use a new ball from any brand if I hadn't used it before. :)

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"

Guys talking about Costco customers being sheep yet there are several threads here with guys giddily paying Titleist $35 per dozen for experimental golf balls.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

> @dwboston said:

> The blind faith in Costco/Kirkland is interesting.

Blind faith is believing without evidence without reason and without any critique. Past experiences of Costco customers has provided us with both the evidence and reason to believe that they will either distribute a high quality product or they will get rid of that product. As far a critique is concerned, I don't think that anybody doesn't think that there was a screw up with the new release. However, as soon as it was determined that they screwed up, they proactively fixed the problem by refunding everybody's money, whether that person had received defective balls or not.

I don't see how having faith in this company can be described as "blind".

> @"Bill Broderick" said:

>

> > @dwboston said:

>

> > The blind faith in Costco/Kirkland is interesting.

>

> Blind faith is believing without evidence without reason and without any critique. Past experiences of Costco customers has provided us with both the evidence and reason to believe that they will either distribute a high quality product or they will get rid of that product. As far a critique is concerned, I don't think that anybody doesn't think that there was a screw up with the new release. However, as soon as it was determined that they screwed up, they proactively fixed the problem by refunding everybody's money, whether that person had received defective balls or not.

>

> I don't see how having faith in this company can be described as _"blind"_.

>

>

That's just because you can't see his point. :smiley:

> @Shilgy said:

> > @Philomathesq said:

> > > @dwboston said:

> > > > @Girevik said:

> > > > > @Shilgy said:

> > > > >

> > > > > What quality control does Costco have over a golf ball being wholly made by someone else?

> > > >

> > > > Costco doesn't have oil drills and gas refineries either. Nor liquor distilleries, pharmaceutical companies, or about anything else they put the Kirkland name on. They've been successful in these other areas, so that leads me to believe they wouldn't have rolled out the new ball without the same confidence. That and the fact that the 3 piece has been out for years with no issues leads me to believe they are perfectly capable of doing the same here.

> > > >

> > > > I'm also confident that if they think that's NOT the case they will scrap the ball rather than release balls with more issues, but I think it's more likely than not that they will whip the manufacturer into shape and we'll be lousy with KP1 next summer.

> > >

> > > The **blind faith** in Costco/Kirkland is interesting. Clearly there's something more difficult about making/procuring a 4-piece urethane golf ball, especially at the bargain bin Costco price. Costco couldn't get enough (or ongoing) supply of the first one, and the second one literally failed. Maybe the 3rd time's the charm.

> >

> > I don't see anything in this thread that is blind faith. While the Costco-praise in this thread may come off as cult-like, it surely is not _blind faith_. Costco's return policy is literally the best in the world and Costo always tries to do right by its customers. This fact is easily shown through Costco's actions in refunding everybody who purchased the "failed" KP1's... Costco saw the problem and remedied it. They didn't have to refund everyone, because not everyone received bad balls. But, they did. Those that love Costco have ample reasons for their love, first of which is that Costco has earned it. There is nothing blind about it.

>

> I would agree 100% with your post. And I freely admit to not being a Costco member. And for regular play I would agree with you and your Costco brethren on the next ball.

> BUT....biggest tournament of your life. Will you bring a sleeve of the newly restocked ball if it just hit the shelves or go with an established brand?

I take out my OG 4 piece and whip some butt. Great ball, regardless of price.

Maltby TSW sand wedge

> @Bad9 said:

> Guys talking about Costco customers being sheep yet there are several threads here with guys giddily paying Titleist $35 per dozen for experimental golf balls.

That’s called interest in being part of the testing process and I know guys who don’t play titleist but some to see what they were about so it’s not just the so called sheep buying in

> @Shilgy said:

> > @Philomathesq said:

> > > @dwboston said:

> > > > @Girevik said:

> > > > > @Shilgy said:

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

That sir is what we call. BINGO! Anyone saying they bring the unproven ball another proven choice is available is lying or doesn’t compete.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @gioreeko said:

> > @Shilgy said:

> > > @Philomathesq said:

> > > > @dwboston said:

> > > > > @Girevik said:

> > > > > > @Shilgy said:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > What quality control does Costco have over a golf ball being wholly made by someone else?

> > > > >

> > > > > Costco doesn't have oil drills and gas refineries either. Nor liquor distilleries, pharmaceutical companies, or about anything else they put the Kirkland name on. They've been successful in these other areas, so that leads me to believe they wouldn't have rolled out the new ball without the same confidence. That and the fact that the 3 piece has been out for years with no issues leads me to believe they are perfectly capable of doing the same here.

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm also confident that if they think that's NOT the case they will scrap the ball rather than release balls with more issues, but I think it's more likely than not that they will whip the manufacturer into shape and we'll be lousy with KP1 next summer.

> > > >

> > > > The **blind faith** in Costco/Kirkland is interesting. Clearly there's something more difficult about making/procuring a 4-piece urethane golf ball, especially at the bargain bin Costco price. Costco couldn't get enough (or ongoing) supply of the first one, and the second one literally failed. Maybe the 3rd time's the charm.

> > >

> > > I don't see anything in this thread that is blind faith. While the Costco-praise in this thread may come off as cult-like, it surely is not _blind faith_. Costco's return policy is literally the best in the world and Costo always tries to do right by its customers. This fact is easily shown through Costco's actions in refunding everybody who purchased the "failed" KP1's... Costco saw the problem and remedied it. They didn't have to refund everyone, because not everyone received bad balls. But, they did. Those that love Costco have ample reasons for their love, first of which is that Costco has earned it. There is nothing blind about it.

> >

> > I would agree 100% with your post. And I freely admit to not being a Costco member. And for regular play I would agree with you and your Costco brethren on the next ball.

> > BUT....biggest tournament of your life. Will you bring a sleeve of the newly restocked ball if it just hit the shelves or go with an established brand?

>

> I take out my OG 4 piece and whip some butt. Great ball, regardless of price.

lol. And that would be reasonable. But it wasn’t the question. .

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @gioreeko said:

> > > @Shilgy said:

> > > > @Philomathesq said:

> > > > > @dwboston said:

> > > > > > @Girevik said:

> > > > > > > @Shilgy said:

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > What quality control does Costco have over a golf ball being wholly made by someone else?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Costco doesn't have oil drills and gas refineries either. Nor liquor distilleries, pharmaceutical companies, or about anything else they put the Kirkland name on. They've been successful in these other areas, so that leads me to believe they wouldn't have rolled out the new ball without the same confidence. That and the fact that the 3 piece has been out for years with no issues leads me to believe they are perfectly capable of doing the same here.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I'm also confident that if they think that's NOT the case they will scrap the ball rather than release balls with more issues, but I think it's more likely than not that they will whip the manufacturer into shape and we'll be lousy with KP1 next summer.

> > > > >

> > > > > The **blind faith** in Costco/Kirkland is interesting. Clearly there's something more difficult about making/procuring a 4-piece urethane golf ball, especially at the bargain bin Costco price. Costco couldn't get enough (or ongoing) supply of the first one, and the second one literally failed. Maybe the 3rd time's the charm.

> > > >

> > > > I don't see anything in this thread that is blind faith. While the Costco-praise in this thread may come off as cult-like, it surely is not _blind faith_. Costco's return policy is literally the best in the world and Costo always tries to do right by its customers. This fact is easily shown through Costco's actions in refunding everybody who purchased the "failed" KP1's... Costco saw the problem and remedied it. They didn't have to refund everyone, because not everyone received bad balls. But, they did. Those that love Costco have ample reasons for their love, first of which is that Costco has earned it. There is nothing blind about it.

> > >

> > > I would agree 100% with your post. And I freely admit to not being a Costco member. And for regular play I would agree with you and your Costco brethren on the next ball.

> > > BUT....biggest tournament of your life. Will you bring a sleeve of the newly restocked ball if it just hit the shelves or go with an established brand?

> >

> > I take out my OG 4 piece and whip some butt. Great ball, regardless of price.

>

>

> lol. And that would be reasonable. But it wasn’t the question. .

I need a few more rounds with the new ball before I would use it in a tournament, but I would do that with any new ball, Titleist included. I used the OG K sig as just an example in that I would trust a Kirkland ball once I played enough rounds with it to know exactly how it performs for me.

Maltby TSW sand wedge

> @GoGoErky said:

> > @Bad9 said:

> > Guys talking about Costco customers being sheep yet there are several threads here with guys giddily paying Titleist $35 per dozen for experimental golf balls.

>

> That’s called interest in being part of the testing process and I know guys who don’t play titleist but some to see what they were about so it’s not just the so called sheep buying in

When you're forced to pay for the product, it's not testing. It's getting used willingly.

• Like 2

> @soregongolfer said:

> > @Bad9 said:

> > Guys talking about Costco customers being sheep yet there are several threads here with guys giddily paying Titleist $35 per dozen for experimental golf balls.

>

> The same guys...

I did testing on 2 iterations of the ProV line a couple of years back and they provided the balls for free. To quote Ron Burgundy, I don't know how to tell you this but I'm kind of a big deal. Heck, when I go to Costco, they give me free meat on a stick.

I don't have leather bound books though.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @soregongolfer said:

> > > @Bad9 said:

> > > Guys talking about Costco customers being sheep yet there are several threads here with guys giddily paying Titleist $35 per dozen for experimental golf balls.

> >

> > The same guys...

>

> I did testing on 2 iterations of the ProV line a couple of years back and they provided the balls for free. To quote Ron Burgundy, I don't know how to tell you this but I'm kind of a big deal. Heck, when I go to Costco, they give me free meat on a stick.

>

> I don't have leather bound books though.

but does your apartment smell of rich mahogany?

> > > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > > @gioreeko said:

> > > > > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > > > > @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > > > > > > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > > > > > > @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > > > > > > > > The return of the mighty k-sig has rankled some people, obviously. I love it.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Return or "returns"?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > LOL. Yes, over a ball with a possible cover defect. Imagine how mad they will be when Costco, as I expect it will, resolves the cover anomaly.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It wouldn't matter if every ball Costco shipped for the next 10 years exploded the first time it was hit. This thread would be full of people wanting to know "Where can I get some of those exploding K-Sig balls??????". I mean, at that price so what if it's only good for one hit, right?

> > > > >

> > > > > Why are you even in this thread? All you post is negative sh#$t. Why are you so butthurt over a ball that you don't even play? The first 4 piece was indeed a game changer. As good as the prov1's I've been playing for years. Obviously there's a problem with SOME of the balls in this batch, other people are reporting excellent results with the "good" batches. The nature of the problem suggests a manufacturing issue, and not an inherent design flaw. Are you a Titleist rep, or just a fanboy?

> > > >

> > > > I'm as curious about these balls as anyone. I've tried the original K-Sig (like it) and the K3 (decent but not really good IMO) and I will perhaps get ahold of future KIRKLAND models if they ever come up with one they can supply in quantity.

> > > >

> > > > Plus I find the entire "phenomenon" fascinating. There's no other product I can think of where a warehouse club selling a store brand at a great price becomes a world-wide media sensation that goes on, unrelenting, year after year. Whether there are balls actually being sold or not. Don't you think that's an unprecedented social (or social media) event worth commenting on?

> > > >

> > > > The only negative [expleitive] that I've ever posted on this thread is pointing out the silliness of the constant claims about K-Sig being a "game changer" or driving establish golf ball companies either out of business or forcing them to completely revamp their pricing. That stuff has being posted since about the 3rd or 4th page of this long thread and we never go very long without it popping up again. It's so ridiculous of course I point that out, saying those "turning the industry upside down" claims are silly is hardly the same as criticising the K-Sig product itself.

> > > >

> > > > Finally, as to the current ball, it's just a complete soup sandwich by any reckoning. Shipping large quantities of balls without (apparently) even rudimentary QC would be embarrassing to any company. Much less to one who has built an entire brand (KIRKLAND) on supposedly unimpeachable quality reputation. They've impeached themselves proper this time.

> > >

> > > Where I disagree with you is, "if" Kirkland can supply this new ball in a quantity that is sustainable, meaning no quality issues, and it tests out to be as good, or even close to the ProV1(as the original did) at $15/ dozen AND they can keep it in stock, absolutely it would be a game changer in the golf ball industry. Who in their right mind would purchase an inferior ball at 4 times the price? The fact that the first ball sold out in hours like it did time after time is a testament to that. I believe strongly that if Costco can mass produce this new gen ball, keep it in stock with no quality issues and it tests out to be even close to a ProV1 you will see a major shift in the golf ball industry. Just my opinion....

> >

> > You are spot on. It's like the guitar industry. There's a company in Germany called Thomann, and their house brand is called Harley Benton. Their prices are truly disruptive, like the K Sig balls. Are the big manufacturers paying attention? Yep. They have started to lower prices somewhat, and have started offering some of the ridiculous specs the HB do for a much lower price point. If Costco can figure out this manufacturing issue with some batches, and this ball is indeed as good as the OG 4 piece, it will definitely make the other manufacturers take notice. The mere fact that some of them threatened to pull their business from Nassau golf shows that they're paying attention.

>

> @GoGoErky said:

> > @Bad9 said:

>

> That’s called interest in being part of the testing process and I know guys who don’t play titleist but some to see what they were about so it’s not just the so called sheep buying in

Wait, Wait, Wait a minute, so, a company sells you golf balls for $35 dollars, then YOU give them your “feedback” to improve the product and get nothing in return? Sorry if a company asks me to test their product to help them improve it, I am getting something in return! Those jumping in on this are the definition of sheep! I can hear them now:

Golfer 1: Dude, I am testing golf balls for Titleist

Golfer2: So how much are they paying you?

Golfer 1: I am paying THEM $35 a dozen

Golfer 2: So YOU pay THEM to test THEIR product?

Genius marketing !! I have a better chance of getting 10 Million dollars from a Nigerian prince than Titleist using my feedback to “improve” their balls!