2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Should Topic Title Be: Tiger Is Done, or Is Tiger Done?

DrSchteeve

Any other golfer who was 41 having undergone multiple back surgeries and having not played for a year and a half would probably have retired. He has a huge uphill battle ahead of him. As golf fans, we're just going to have to be patient because it will take time. I firmly believe if he can stay healthy (that's a big if), then I see no reason for him to win again.....possibly even multiple times.

We should learn a lot in these first 4 tournaments back. If he doesn't make a cut or gets generally worse from week to week, then that's not a good sign. However if he stays healthy, shows progress and makes a cut or two, then he may not be done just yet.

Cleveland Custom XL - Black Tie X
TEE CB4 3W, CB2 5W - Proforce V2 X
Adams Idea Pro 3H - Aldila By You S
Callaway Apex 4I - KBS Tour X
Bridgestone J38 DPC 5-PW - KBS Tour X
588 RTX Rust - 52, 58 KBS Tour X
Odyssey MXM #9, 34 in.

Golf Channel showed Tiger this morning playing in the pro-am at Dubai and he looked tired walking around. Plus more left right shots. Just a small sample of the day but I can't imagine flying 17 hours and trying to play golf after all he has been through the last 18 months. He knows his body and what he is trying to accomplish, but I would have sat out this week and ramped up the tourneys from here. But.....he didn't ask for my advice. I would have given it to him free too. ;)

He would be better off with the new Titleist driver. Just sayin'.

Any other golfer who was 41 having undergone multiple back surgeries and having not played for a year and a half would probably have retired. He has a huge uphill battle ahead of him. As golf fans, we're just going to have to be patient because it will take time. I firmly believe if he can stay healthy (that's a big if), then I see no reason for him to win again.....possibly even multiple times.

We should learn a lot in these first 4 tournaments back. If he doesn't make a cut or gets generally worse from week to week, then that's not a good sign. However if he stays healthy, shows progress and makes a cut or two, then he may not be done just yet.

I don't think that anyone can tell anything until after the Masters.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

http://www.golfdiges...-away-from-pain

Tiger Woods says only swing thought is to "play away from pain"

"The simplest thing is I just play away from pain," Woods said. “Whether my swing looks classic, rhythmical or it may look unorthodox, I don’t care. As long as I don’t feel that nerve pain.

"Anyone in here who has ever had nerve pain in their back or anywhere in their spine, it’s like hitting your funny bone a thousand times a day. It’s just not fun. I would much rather not have to go through that again.”

However, don't take that as waving the white flag. Using Roger Federer's
as inspiration, Woods noted there are different routes to the podium.

"As you get older, you change your game and you do things slightly differently and he did that," Woods remarked. "I'm not going to be hitting balls like some of these guys, 340 out there. I watched Dustin (Johnson) carry a ball last week when it was cold, wet and damp and he carried it 335.

"So you do it differently. If you look at the list of guys who have shot below 60, you realize Jim Furyk's on there twice. He averages 270 off the tee, shoots two rounds under 60. It can be done different ways."

Golf Channel showed Tiger this morning playing in the pro-am at Dubai and he looked tired walking around. Plus more left right shots. Just a small sample of the day but I can't imagine flying 17 hours and trying to play golf after all he has been through the last 18 months. He knows his body and what he is trying to accomplish, but I would have sat out this week and ramped up the tourneys from here. But.....he didn't ask for my advice. I would have given it to him free too. ;)

He would be better off with the new Titleist driver. Just sayin'.

Cause it's shorter?

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

"The simplest thing is I just play away from pain," Woods said. “Whether my swing looks classic, rhythmical or it may look unorthodox, I don’t care. As long as I don’t feel that nerve pain.

"Anyone in here who has ever had nerve pain in their back or anywhere in their spine, it’s like hitting your funny bone a thousand times a day. It’s just not fun. I would much rather not have to go through that again.”

"As you get older, you change your game and you do things slightly differently and he did that," Woods remarked. "I'm not going to be hitting balls like some of these guys, 340 out there. I watched Dustin (Johnson) carry a ball last week when it was cold, wet and damp and he carried it 335.

"So you do it differently. If you look at the list of guys who have shot below 60, you realize Jim Furyk's on there twice. He averages 270 off the tee, shoots two rounds under 60. It can be done different ways."

If that means he still feels pain when doing certain movements, his therapists and doctors did a terrible job, but that was expected, smh.

If that means he still feels pain when doing certain movements, his therapists and doctors did a terrible job, but that was expected, smh.

I would assume that means he is making sure he swings in such a way it doesn't cause the back issues to return.

Also, sounds like he may be playing in fear of pain. Understandable but hopefully his severe back issues won't resurface and he gains confidence and it won't be in the back of his mind.

Also threw a club down as well. He really seemed to be struggling which is a shame. Forcing himself to do something his back can't really do is not healthy or worth it. You can see in his eyes the anger he has for some of the shots he's hitting.

He needs more rehab time I think, this schedule might do more harm than good.

Also threw a club down as well. He really seemed to be struggling which is a shame. Forcing himself to do something his back can't really do is not healthy or worth it. You can see in his eyes the anger he has for some of the shots he's hitting.

He needs more rehab time I think, this schedule might do more harm than good.

I have to think that Tiger is chasing money. He could have left San Diego, buzzed over to Phoenix, practiced in private out at Whisper Rock and played the WM. Instead, he flies 17 hours and 12 time zones to play for an appearance fee. Now, however he plays in Dubai, he has to repeat the 17-12 schedule to get back to the states and try to get ready for LA. He may get his game back, but I doubt this is a good plan.

I have to think that Tiger is chasing money. He could have left San Diego, buzzed over to Phoenix, practiced in private out at Whisper Rock and played the WM. Instead, he flies 17 hours and 12 time zones to play for an appearance fee. Now, however he plays in Dubai, he has to repeat the 17-12 schedule to get back to the states and try to get ready for LA. He may get his game back, but I doubt this is a good plan.

Waste Management not really on his list except for some bad memories the last time he was there, Dubai not really surprising and should be welcoming if he can handle the flight.

Besides he now does his own waste management.

Waste Management not really on his list except for some bad memories the last time he was there, Dubai not really surprising and should be welcoming if he can handle the flight.

Besides he now does his own waste management.

Of the plane and into the chopper

http://youtu.be/bJNtYhKRvJs

i understand the back stuff, and have my own assortment of injuries that hurt travel plans.

Simply flying business class allowed me to hit the ground playing after a LAX to Scotland flight.

I would imagine flying in a 1 bedroom suite on Emirates if probably easier than a Southwest flight

To Phoenix!

I know nothing of backs and he should know what he can do, but boy I would have thought if he warmed up on the range and was feeling any pain at all he'd have to surrender right there and see what next week brings. Just one hole, but he looks markedly different from last week. Tough to watch just one hole, though.

When I saw Tiger playing on the Bahamas I really liked what I saw. It was great, the best stat by far was that he made the most birdies, which is really huge imo, because that shows that he has all the good shots and the sharpness. Of course, he made a lot of mistakes and the overall scoring was not cool, but I thought it would be much easier to learn again to avoid mistakes and reduce the amount of bad shots than to learn how to make birdies again.

After two months he had to improve his game, everthing looks terrible. I am writing this as Tiger has played 16 holes in Dubai and is +5 without a single birdie. What happened? I don't understand.

But still I would say it is too early to say that he is done.

I spent a solid 5 years away from the game up until about 6 months ago. (right eye) I kinda know what Tiger is going through right now, and it's not just about his back. There are rounds now days where I can run off 5-6 easy pars and then look like a street beggar for the next 5-6 holes. Tiger has lost at least 3 years, and is trying to get back to a level 100 times greater than my little quest to play single digits again. It's going to be two steps forward, and one step back for Tiger, and "muni" player like myself.

Trusting what you are doing is hard to regain no matter how good your swing is or what your name is. There are some players on this forum who have witnessed this many times over from other higher level college and tour players who had spent a long time away from the game.

Once he learns to trust what he is doing, he will do OK.

People say that he's coming back from a year out and it will take time but remember that if he's returning to 2015 levels, then that was probably the worst year of Tiger's career, where he couldn't hit a fairway and chunked every chip. Then he didn't do much in 2014 either.

To get back to somewhere near his best, he'd have to get back to 2013 levels, but that's a long time ago in sports, back then his playing partner Fitzpatrick and Justin Thomas were promising amateurs, now they're multiple Tour winners.

I'm pulling for tiger. But watching walk and play last night in the first round I can't help but say he looks like he's feeling some pain. How much ? Don't know. But he's being very stiff and slow. Maybe it's nerves? I don't know. But it's very worrisome to watch.

That and it looks like he's put on muscle since the Bahamas. Is that even possible ? Looks bigger last night. Maybe just cut of shirt ? Don't know. Anyway here's to hoping I'm wrong.

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

His putting was painful to watch. It was almost as if he had the yips as several putts weren't even reaching the hole with enough pace. My big question is: How did he go from arguably the best putter ever to below average? I'm thinking that has to be mental.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 14.5

Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW

Cleveland CG-10 52,56,60

Cleveland Classic 4.5

I still think he should've rehabbed on the web.com tour- MLB gets it...go to the minors and take the pressure off. That being said, +5 is embarrassing no matter what tour you're on. His ability is there - he needs to get his head straight.

Sounds reasonable, but he couldn't hide over there. The cameras would have been following him. Plus a last place finish would have looked even worse on that tour. I don't ever see him being competitive again, but he should have at least walked several rounds on his own course mimicking a tour round the best he could. Practicing in a cart and then diving back into tour play with a delicate back is a recipe for what we are seeing.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

I'd start by saying that I've never been a Tiger fan, but what no-one can deny is the effect he has had on the game of golf, and the truly great that he will go down as in history. However, even though I'm not a fan on a personal level, I get no pleasure out of seeing a great of the game repeatedly struggling like this every time he turns out.

Whether it's in the head, in his body, or something technical is of no matter. Every time he plays he gets microphones stuffed up his nose asking him to comment on a poor round of golf, and we get the repeated 'positives' that he thinks are there. Maybe it would help if he stops trying to fool himself, because it's gone well past trying to fool the public, because no-one of a sound mind is listening to the excuses and false positives, and starts to admit to himself that he's just not performing anymore. If he comes out of denial and stops the repeated rhetoric, then he may have a chance of improving, but if you're standing there trying to tell yourself you're in good nick, and there are all these positives to take from being 122nd out of 132, then you can look kinda dumb. But more to the point living ina world of denial does nothing to redress the negatives that are far more prevalent right now.

Sad to see, but it happens to all great players that we remember from yesteryear. But if he's got any chance at all of winning again, he has to get with the program, and come down to earth a bit, and perhaps re-establish his goals to something that is more realistic. Personally, I think Tiger is too stubborn to do that, he's been successful with that mentality in his pomp, but right now, that very mentality is his achilles heel too.

probably the saddest i have been watching Tiger in Dubai. He just looks physically not ready to play golf. I think he's had a set back on his back and it's causing some serious anxiety in his swing. He is close to being physically unable to play golf and that reality is beginning to set in. He looked totally grieved out there....because he knows it is likely over for him

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B