Could a single digit handicapper break 100 at Shinnecock?

kgeisler13

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your dad is nuts. I'd bet he wouldn't shoot under 115.

Without spotters, he’d run out of balls. Or break a wrist in the rough.

Can we define single digit - I’d give a one handicap a chance of breaking the Ton, a nine handicap would have next to none.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

Bunch of friends in PGA Golf Management were talking about this same subject. What would we shoot we played the US Open from the same tees they play. Most of us play to around +1 to a 5 and we all are pretty much there distance wise. Some people were sure they couldn't break 100-110, but the argument was if you went out trying to make pars, you probably wouldn't break 100, but if you played to plus +29, you could probably easily do it. You are laying up off the tee on every hole, including some of the par 3s.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Bunch of friends in PGA Golf Management were talking about this same subject. What would we shoot we played the US Open from the same tees they play. Most of us play to around +1 to a 5 and we all are pretty much there distance wise. Some people were sure they couldn't break 100-110, but the argument was if you went out trying to make pars, you probably wouldn't break 100, but if you played to plus +29, you could probably easily do it. You are laying up off the tee on every hole, including some of the par 3s.

This....

Every time there is a tough US Open, this same tired subject comes up.

I appreciate the honesty above from obviously good golfers. And the conclusion is obvious. If you are truly a single digit and you want to play smart; i.e. "bogey" is your par, then you have a very good chance of breaking 100. But if you are an 8 handicap at your home course which plays 6500 yards; while you are better than average, try playing your usual game and you would not be breaking 100 in Saturday's conditions, maybe not even on the easier Sunday conditions.

I always laugh at people, especially mid-handicappers, who think they're just a couple of strokes a side away from being good enough to play a tour setup and not embarrass yourself.

Ive played a course twice that was prepped for a Tour event - one PGA Tour, one Champions Tour. People who have never played a course that is prepped for a tour event dont know just how fast they set the greens up. Lightning quick.

Im willing to say right now that unless I would happen to stick some iron shots to kick-in range, I'd probably three putt and four putt the majority of the greens at Shinnecock, or most other courses set up for a PGA Tour event. As would most mid-cappers.

I'm a single digit and I think I could make it around in a stress-free 125 if it was set up like Saturday. If it was soft and not windy maybe I could get to 115ish.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

My dad has some confidence in his game for being a 18 handicap and 67 years old. Gotta love him.

Lets says a 5-9 handicap could they do it, if they played smart. Like Santiago Golf said you cant go out looking to make pars on every hole.

Nothing personal, but what would be the point to play a course with the intent of just breaking 100? To go around telling anyone who will listen you shot 99 by making sure you were so strategic. That's not golf. Well...maybe to FIGJAM it is.

No way a 9 handicap breaks 100 even by laying up and I will tell you why. A 9 handicap does not have an impeccable short game and that is what you need at that course in Saturday conditions. Laying up may actually cost you more shots. In Saturday's condition, a 9 index is likely to have two one putts, 8 two putts (I am being generous) and 8 three putts...there's 42 right there. I give them 1 GIR on the par 3s, so there's 7 more...now we are at 49. 14 long holes and you have to average 3.5 shots to those greens to get 98. Sounds quite possible until you start to consider not being able to advance your ball in the fescue because your name is not DJ or Brooks, lost balls, penalties, unplayables, tough bunkers shots...etc...

It's not happening.

Pro scores averaged between 75 and 77 each day, roughly.

I think that a 5 handicap should easily shoot within 20 strokes of that, especially with a spotter. Scratch, definitely. 9 handicap. . .probably.

I think the deciding factor would be how many times the single got into long stuff, took a couple of hacks to get out, took an unplayable and had to drop in the long stuff and made an 11, or something, or ping-pong'ed a green or two.

FWIW, me and my buddies played Bethpage Black from the back box on every hole -- regardless of where they had the tees -- a week after the Barclay's last year after sleeping in our cars and getting about 4/5 hours of bad sleep. We were all 3-7 handicappers. Every one of us broke 90. Greens were slower than they were at the Barclays, but the rough was up and the sand is the same.

And, I'm not long. I had all I could do just to reach the 5th fairway and the 10th. I hit 4W into 3 of the par 3's. I doubled 3, parred 8 and 17 and birdied the other one (14).

I think the "closely mown" thing around the greens would be the biggest stroke adder. No one was threatening par, but look, golf can only get so hard for people who can hit the ball straight and elevate mid and short irons. 100 is more than a double bogey per hole.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I think I could, but you never know would would happen with the pins on 13 and 15.

For handicap purposes, according to the USGA, Shinnecock is easier for a bogey golfer than some of the courses I have played this summer. I bet some of the Shinnecock members HC's travel pretty well.

Course Rating and Slope Database™

Course Rating Search Results

Club/Course Name City State Shinnecock Hills Golf Club Southampton NY

Tee Name USGA Course Rating (18) Slope Rating (18) Front (9) Back (9) Bogey Rating (18) Gender Red 74.4 140 37.6 / 142 36.8 / 137 100.1 M Green 72.3 134 36.3 / 136 36.0 / 132 97.2 M Blue 70.3 129 35.2 / 130 35.1 / 127 94.2 M White 67.1 125 33.7 / 125 33.4 / 124 90.2 M

Club/Course Name City State Breckenridge Golf Club - Beaver/Bear Breckenridge CO

Tee Name USGA Course Rating (18) Slope Rating (18) Front (9) Back (9) Bogey Rating (18) Gender Gold 73.9 151 36.9 / 155 37.0 / 147 102.1 M Blue 71.7 139 35.9 / 141 35.8 / 136 97.4 M Green 69.9 129 35.0 / 127 34.9 / 131 93.9 M Silver 67.9 119 33.8 / 114 34.1 / 123 89.9 M Red 63.7 113 31.6 / 113 32.1 / 113 84.7 M Silver 73.9 148 36.9 / 150 37.0 / 146 108.8 F Red 69.6 134 34.5 / 133 35.1 / 134 101.1 F

Breaking 100 came up in conversation in our group on Saturday. The lowest handicap at nearly +2 though he wouldn’t. I think he would, but it looked tough even before Saturday’s round.

Anything around 100 for a high single digit golfer would be very decent.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60L Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

Harry Ellis and Phillip Barbaree are two really good collegiate golfers with plus handicaps that had an 80 and 82 respectively at this US Open. They are conditioned tournament golfers and have the ability to play at the highest level.

While I think there are some single digit cappers that may break 100, I think the majority would not. I don't think a scratch golfer breaks 90 on that course.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

They have members there who play the appropriate tees and break 80. It's not that penal of a golf course off of the tee. The fairways are plenty wide enough. It's a tough 2nd shot golf course. But, if you just play conservative, keep it short of the pin, I can't see it be very difficult at all for a true 5 handicapper to break 100. I'd think that if they got to know the golf course well enough, they'd be breaking 90. Most of the difficulty would come in learning how to hit chip shots around those greens if you're not used to it. Now, from the tees the pros played, that would be a much more difficult task, but to play that course at 6500 or less, I think it would just be a case of getting used to it. That looked like a very fair golf course to me.

Your dad is nuts. I'd bet he wouldn't shoot under 115.

That was my first thought, but the USGA disagrees (at least when it comes to ESC score)...from the white tees, the Shinnecock CR is 67.1 with a slope of 125 giving it a bogey rating of 90.2

https://ncrdb.usga.org/NCRDB/courseTeeInfo.aspx?CourseID=16821

I feel like no I could not as a 3

the short game aspect would be out of control

if Phil is putting off the green from 8 feet the amateur probably does it every other hole ... and then a few of the comeback chips come back to their feet or go over. I think the precision those guys have with their short game meant the tolerance for a miss was a foot or inches in some cases. The small margin of what a miss is would bring in a triple and double on too many holes for a single digit player.

I think course management would be hard for the single digit as well as presumably they have no experience with baked out greens like that. Even single digit tournament players rarely see courses playing like that and as a result, missing in the right spot happens a lot less often bringing in the quads + ...

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

I think its safe to say the "worst" of the Pro's would be about a +6 to +8 (a proper tournament H/C, not calculated with some friends)

And on Friday and saturday they were shooting in the 80's, did one pro shoot 92?

to suggest a handicap golfer between 5 and 10 breaks 100 is insane and to even think this shows how little you know about how courses are set up for tournaments

On Saturday difficulty from pro pins I question if I could break 100 and I'm a 1.5 right now LoL

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I think it's a terrible way to reason to pick out one of the worst shots a pro hit all weekend (phil putting off the green from 8 feet) and concluding that an Am would be doing that all the time. Phil was trying to ram that putt in. I'm just getting that putt in motion and trying to 2 putt from 8 feet.

Also, whoever has a friend that is a +2 and doesn't think so. . .that dude is completely delusional. There were amateurs in that field who were probably +3's and 100 wasn't even nearly in play. That's just ludicrous.

The blow up thread that I'm sure people have come across was could a scratch break 85 at Augusta in Sunday conditions. It was a heated debate, so let's say, "it's close".

There's no way that Shinnecock was playing 15 strokes harder than that.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I think its safe to say the "worst" of the Pro's would be about a +6 to +8 (a proper tournament H/C, not calculated with some friends)

That is not safe to say. That's very bold to say. We have plenty of examples of pro's keeping handicaps and the best pros are in that range and there's roughly a 4 stroke difference in average scoring from the best pros in any given year to the worst pros.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

And on Friday and saturday they were shooting in the 80's, did one pro shoot 92?

to suggest a handicap golfer between 5 and 10 breaks 100 is insane and to even think this shows how little you know about how courses are set up for tournaments

Average score on Saturday was 75.3. 8 players shot 80 or worse.