Lob Wedges, what are they good for?

bkirkley09

Specifically looking at 2 wedges and wanting to know what people here think about them. If there are other similar wedges then feel free to shout them out and what you like about them.

1. Vokey K-grind low bounce - recently started playing with this and it is a revelation. No worries at all of a tight lie causing me to blade the ball across the green. I can get up and down easily so far. Cons are that they are prohibitively expensive and everything is an upcharge. Lol.

2. Taylormade Hi-toe - no experience with it but upon reading about it it sounds like it may be even more versatile than then low bounce k grind.

This wedge will be used almost entirely for touch shots around the green and out of bunkers so looking for some advice on which one to go with. The Hi-toe is considerably cheaper but having always trusted the vokey name I did not want to make a mistake no matter how much cheaper the club is.

I don’t think Vokeys are that expensive. If it works for you and improves your short game (better scoring) what’s an extra $50 or whatever. To me the performance outweighs the cost anyday.

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

I don’t think Vokeys are that expensive. If it works for you and improves your short game (better scoring) what’s an extra $50 or whatever. To me the performance outweighs the cost anyday.

Well so the vokey is $195 and then an additional $25 for the KBS HI-REV 2.0 which is a shaft I love totaling $220. The Hi-Toe is 135.99 with that shaft on dsg today. I agree though and am more than happy to pay the difference if the club is worth it. I just did not know if the hi-toe compared and was just as good and yet cheaper.

My 58 is my normal wedge. My 64 is my lob wedge. And I’d like to give a massive shout for the Callaway Mack Daddy 4. I couldn’t be happier with the performance, the spin, the stability, the ease of use, the consistency and the flexibility of the X Grind. A wonderful club.

And if you’re looking for spin, the Hi Toe and the MD4 seem to have the Vokey whipped, according to a couple of reviews I’ve read. I haven’t tried the SM7, but I had an SM6 that I didn’t care for and sold fairly soon after buying it.

You can find a slightly used Vokey and a used Shaft of your choice for much less than $195. I never buy New clubs, slightly used saves you a lot of money if you don’t need Brand New.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

My 58 is my normal wedge. My 64 is my lob wedge. And I'd like to give a massive shout for the Callaway Mack Daddy 4. I couldn't be happier with the performance, the spin, the stability, the ease of use, the consistency and the flexibility of the X Grind. A wonderful club.

And if you're looking for spin, the Hi Toe and the MD4 seem to have the Vokey whipped, according to a couple of reviews I've read. I haven't tried the SM7, but I had an SM6 that I didn't care for and sold fairly soon after buying it.

Well so maybe I am thinking about this incorrectly. You list the Xgrind which has 12 degrees of bounce. From my understanding the more bounce the more the club head "bounces" off the ground instead of sweeping or digging? My biggest problem around the green is thinning my lob shots and blading them. That to me would mean that I am needing a low bounce wedge, and when using the low bounce vokey I never once thinned a shot (could be another factor I literally just started using one last week). Please correct me if I am wrong but I think the X grind would not work for me in this situation! Also the MD4s look beautiful I just do not think they are offering what I am looking for.

I'm not sure if a 58° qualifies as a Lob wedge. If it does, I use mine extensively for pitches, and for longer shots from 80 yards and in.

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

My 58 is my normal wedge. My 64 is my lob wedge. And I'd like to give a massive shout for the Callaway Mack Daddy 4. I couldn't be happier with the performance, the spin, the stability, the ease of use, the consistency and the flexibility of the X Grind. A wonderful club.

And if you're looking for spin, the Hi Toe and the MD4 seem to have the Vokey whipped, according to a couple of reviews I've read. I haven't tried the SM7, but I had an SM6 that I didn't care for and sold fairly soon after buying it.

Well so maybe I am thinking about this incorrectly. You list the Xgrind which has 12 degrees of bounce. From my understanding the more bounce the more the club head "bounces" off the ground instead of sweeping or digging? My biggest problem around the green is thinning my lob shots and blading them. That to me would mean that I am needing a low bounce wedge, and when using the low bounce vokey I never once thinned a shot (could be another factor I literally just started using one last week). Please correct me if I am wrong but I think the X grind would not work for me in this situation! Also the MD4s look beautiful I just do not think they are offering what I am looking for.

Yes, I use mine as an all-round wedge so I like the extra bounce. If you’re specifically looking for low bounce then there is the C-Grind.

If I thin a chip or lob shot it’s normally because my weight was to far back in my stance, trying to hit up to get it to go up. I always hit my best chips and pitch shots weight my weight slightly forward, making sure to hit slightly down on the ball. Works greats for sand shots too, weight forwards and hit 2” behind the ball. :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I don't think Vokeys are that expensive. If it works for you and improves your short game (better scoring) what's an extra $50 or whatever. To me the performance outweighs the cost anyday.

Well so the vokey is $195 and then an additional $25 for the KBS HI-REV 2.0 which is a shaft I love totaling $220. The Hi-Toe is 135.99 with that shaft on dsg today. I agree though and am more than happy to pay the difference if the club is worth it. I just did not know if the hi-toe compared and was just as good and yet cheaper.

I use my 60-8 Vokey for lots of different shots, from firm bunkers to low spinners to gentle flops to high gnarly rough to simple chips to 80-yard approaches. My wedge is 6 or 8 years old, and still works fine, and would work fine for you too. You're a 20+ handicap, don't worry about an up-charge shaft. Don't worry about the "perfect" club. I don't want to be insulting, but you're probably not good enough for any of it to make much difference. I strongly recommend looking through the used club bins, find a wedge or two that look good to you, with about the right bounce for your normal local conditions, and buy one. Put a new grip on it if needed, and learn to hit shots with it.

I say who cares about the money and buy the one you like to look at most. That’s if you can afford it of course. Don’t eat top Roman for a month just to get the wedge you think is best for you. Feeling confident and being confident when you are playing makes a world of a difference. If you think don’t blade it, you’re probably going to blade it more often then not. Plus if you do blade it at least it will give you another chance to use your wedge. Get your moneys worth...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "lobbing".

Serious answer, it depends on what you need it for. Some people use a lob wedge for most stuff around the green, others for emergencies. Some people (myself included) like you use a very different type of grind on a lob wedge for utility purposes. Its all about your game and what you need it to do.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I just checked and Vokey SM7 is $150. For me the standard shafts work well.

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

I just checked and Vokey SM7 is $150. For me the standard shafts work well.

Ya but the k grind low bounce is wedgeworks only so not available through retail. This the $195 tag.

I have several, but just got the Taylor Made new lob wedge in 58 degree. Fantastic within 60 yards.

The Hi-toe?

I've used a 58-62 for over 20 years. Learn to use your body to turn and less arms when chipping, and you're good to go. The problem is too many of us want to use our arms too much - there is a time for everything. I will hinge the 60 a bit around the green to give it a low pop that will hit, bite and roll a couple of feet.

When chippin' off the green - turn your body with weight on front foot.

I use it for 60 yds and in depending on height I want and the green.

Bunker shots, shots from the rough. It's great. I tend to think about the 56 before the 60 and I have different grinds on both - so I have choices.

I looked at the K grind and will give it serious consideration ... when I have a Bandon Dunes Trip or play links style courses with hard ground. I'd have to adjust to a more shallow approach and I'm fairly neutral now -- It's a wide sole, low bounce club. Wish Titleist had demos of it because I typically do not like wide sole wedges.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I’ve had them both and ended up with a 58* D grind instead. Great out of the sand and can still nip it off tight lies.

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

Everything within 100 yards

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

I've used a 58-62 for over 20 years. Learn to use your body to turn and less arms when chipping, and you're good to go. The problem is too many of us want to use our arms too much - there is a time for everything. I will hinge the 60 a bit around the green to give it a low pop that will hit, bite and roll a couple of feet.

When chippin' off the green - turn your body with weight on front foot.

I use it for 60 yds and in depending on height I want and the green.

Bunker shots, shots from the rough. It's great. I tend to think about the 56 before the 60 and I have different grinds on both - so I have choices.

I looked at the K grind and will give it serious consideration ... when I have a Bandon Dunes Trip or play links style courses with hard ground. I'd have to adjust to a more shallow approach and I'm fairly neutral now -- It's a wide sole, low bounce club. Wish Titleist had demos of it because I typically do not like wide sole wedges.

Thanks for all the information. You are definitely correct and I use my arms a lot in chipping. I also have a very shallow approach already so anything with a lot of bounce is really hard for me to control. I know they are supposed to be more forgiving but for me they just do not work well. The K grind feels as if it glides on top of the ground and makes perfect contact even with my swing so it was just a really nice feeling to be able to go after a shot and not worry about blading it.

Well so just a mini update but I actually went and tested the Hi-Toe tonight in 58 and 60 and while it is a great club its not really what I am after at this time. It still had a ton of bounce I think (ATV grind so no official bounce specs) on a normal shot (not manipulating the face open or closed) and it felt very light compared to the vokey line. I think it would be great out of bunkers though as it just shot the ball into the air with an effortless swing, however on tight lies I think I would still be too shallow to feel comfortable playing an aggressive shot around the greens. I may pick one up just for testing as it is a really awesome wedge for a specific use just like the k grind.

If you’re blading wedges it has zero to do with the bounce. And no bounce doesn’t cause the club to just bounce off the ground.

If you’re blading wedges it has zero to do with the bounce. And no bounce doesn’t cause the club to just bounce off the ground.

If your blading you may not have enough bounce...you are worried about chunking and you tighten up and skull it. Having enough bounce encourages you to be aggressive and not decel

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I pulled my Eye 2 61 degree wedge as I seldom used it except at say 75 yards or sand. I went with Vokey and high boubce 58 which gave me better gapping and more uses...or so I thought. I was using it around the green but it failed me as I have never developed a great touch green side with it. I will use it in the sand where it performs really well, 85 yards, or where i want the ball to get uo and down in a hurry. I bring the 58 out much more then my 61 ever did.

If you can open and close with less lofted, save the money. I prefer "full shots" with my wedges as there is less variables to deal with.