Does any fan really care who wins the Fedex Cup?

manku

I promise you that I cared more this year than I will in the future. The new system is an abomination that, in my opinion, completely removes all competitive integrity from The Tour Championship as a tournament in and of itself. They have essentially sacrificed the tournament itself for the sake of The FedEx Cup. If everyone can just acknowledge that I might be halfway okay with it.

Β 

Having said that, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES WHAT SO EVER should an official tour victory be awarded to the winner.

This is right on and what I've said since the changes were introduced....but I also don't care why anyone cares about the integrity of a 30-man limited field event on a standalone basis and why it shouldn't be sacrificed if it makes the FedEx Cup significantly more exciting?

Jay Monahan has said one reason for the changes to the Fedex Cup is to keep fans engaged etc...

Β 

Does anyone care who wins this, except for the players and their inner circle? Or perhaps fantasy players?

Β 

There will now be a bonus for top 10 regular season points...I personally can't imagine caring or following this. Am I supposed to be excited that DJ just earned an extra 500K?

Β 

Ditto regarding the Tour Championship...which will now be handicapped.

Β 

The Masters, arguably the most prestigious golf tournament in the world, goes out of it's way not to mention money.

Β 

The PGA goes the other direction.

Β 

Doesn't make me feel good paying $6 for bottled water and $14 for a beer!

Β 

Improvements not for the fans, but for the corporate sponsors who shell out to Moneyham. No matter how much money and points they bestow on the winner, it's a big ZZZzz. Crowning a millionaire among millionaires, congratulation from corporate billionaire. ZZzz. Season watchability is over when the last major is over.

• 9 months later...

> @SilverBullets said:

> I don't and in fact I care even less now that it's handicapped.

>

>

>

> Now if the Tour Championship were a winner take all 32 man match play event... well sign me up.

Β 

All the top players on good courses competing hard. Of course I like it. Hate the new handicapped Tour Championship. Would like to see match play the first three rounds down to 4 people then final Sunday stroke play.

Nope, I don't really care....I do like watching the tour championship, as it's always a quality field, but the actual FedEx cup winner is irrelevant to me. I care about two things....1. who wins majors 2. will Fed Ex deliver my packages in time?

the playoff would be cooler if it determined who got into the Players, or the PGA...assuming it was still at the end of summer...but just for a pot of cash...nope. I really don't care if the leading money winner makes 100K or 100 million. Actually if it was 100K they would all probably fight harder.

Ping G400 Testing G410.Β  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.Β Β 
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3Β 56* TW grind.Β  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.Β Β 
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly
Β 

That's an easy one, Nope.

The Tour Championship, that's the dumbest professional golf idea I've heard of, and for $10 million to boot.

2021 Bag Update:

Β 

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7Β  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-AΒ  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

> @00steven said:

> It’s nice to have a season long championship. Clearly not a major but it shows you played most consistent all year long and when it mattered most.

Β 

or if you got hot in the playoff

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75gΒ 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PWΒ 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60Β 
SC Newport 2.5

> @c7015 said:

> > @00steven said:

> > It’s nice to have a season long championship. Clearly not a major but it shows you played most consistent all year long and when it mattered most.

>

> or if you got hot in the playoff

Β 

This. It shows more how you're playing when the playoffs come around vs playing consistent all year. Sure, you can't play terrible all year and get in, but when you look at it, there's guys who have played 20 events and had 1 top ten who are in the playoffs right now.

No

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1Β  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Β 

> @Mcgeeno said:

> I couldnt name anyone who has won a fedex cup playoff event in its recent history other than Tiger last year and Rory who had an epic back nine a couple (?) years back.

>

> Couldnt name one of the tournaments. Can't recall any of the Fedex cup champs.

>

> Don't care one bit.

Β 

So, not much of a golf fan, then? Or, wait, this maybe makes you more of a true golf fan, somehow. JK, man. All good.

> @"Ashley Schaeffer" said:

> > @Mcgeeno said:

> > I couldnt name anyone who has won a fedex cup playoff event in its recent history other than Tiger last year and Rory who had an epic back nine a couple (?) years back.

> >

> > Couldnt name one of the tournaments. Can't recall any of the Fedex cup champs.

> >

> > Don't care one bit.

>

> So, not much of a golf fan, then? Or, wait, this maybe makes you more of a true golf fan, somehow. JK, man. All good.

Β 

I just don't care about the fedex cup playoffs.

Β 

I don't think many do. This thread is bearing that out.

The guy who posted a few pages back had it right.

Β 

Reverse fedex cup with 100 keeping their cards and the next 50+ fighting it out in a four week playoff to earn a spot for the next year is interesting.

Β 

Seeing which guy wins 10 million does not move my needle. You can win the final tournament of the year and not win the fedex cup title or whatever it is called. Nobody gives a s***. Some dudes literally sit at home for a week or two and could still win if they played good in April.

Β 

I know I would tune in to watch some of the fringe guys fighting for their careers to end the year...

> @Mcgeeno said:

> The guy who posted a few pages back had it right.

>

> Reverse fedex cup with 100 keeping their cards and the next 50+ fighting it out in a four week playoff to earn a spot for the next year is interesting.

>

> Seeing which guy wins 10 million does not move my needle. You can win the final tournament of the year and not win the fedex cup title or whatever it is called. Nobody gives a ****. Some dudes literally sit at home for a week or two and could still win if they played good in April.

>

> I know I would tune in to watch some of the fringe guys fighting for their careers to end the year...

Β 

Then, you, sir, are in luck. The PGA and Korn Ferry tours are live every week. Tons of guys fighting for their careers.

Β 

They are good events, but at the end of the Championship the guys who really care are the players, since it's 10 mil of sweet sweet money for retirement. Fans just enjoyed 3 great top events. You can't just create more events of importance for fans. They just don't have that kind of attention span to add. Plus that dilutes the importance of the majors.

Β 

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Not a big fan. It never really grabbed my attention, and then they kept tinkering with the rules which made it look like a bit of a joke. Another year, another set of rules to determine the season-long champ. One less tournament too.... At least (I think) they got rid of the 2 winners (Tour Championship and Fedex) scenario.

Β 

I think the size of the prize actually cheapens the event. Makes it vulgar. The notion of some zillionaire golfer getting a $10mill payday is just perverse. So, of course they're upping it to $15 mill next year. Woohoo.

Β 

One of the charms of the British Open is the Claret Jug as a trophy. Not very big or flashy, just.... legendary. Similarly, The Masters with it's Green Jacket.

Β 

Fedex has had an inconsistent list of winners, but I guess the same goes for all the majors (and team sports playoffs) too. Most winners were pretty legit - they were great golfers having great years, but Horschel, Haas and Sneds don't really fit that.

Β 

Having said all that, The Tour Championship is always a great field and worth watching in and of itself.

> @Mcgeeno said:

> The guy who posted a few pages back had it right.

>

> Reverse fedex cup with 100 keeping their cards and the next 50+ fighting it out in a four week playoff to earn a spot for the next year is interesting.

>

> Seeing which guy wins 10 million does not move my needle. You can win the final tournament of the year and not win the fedex cup title or whatever it is called. Nobody gives a ****. Some dudes literally sit at home for a week or two and could still win if they played good in April.

>

> I know I would tune in to watch some of the fringe guys fighting for their careers to end the year...

Β 

So you will be watching the Korn Ferry Playoffs with intense interest?

126-200 on the Fed Ex Cup list vs. 26-100 on the Korn Ferry Tour list plus a few non members to determine cards for 2019-2020.

Β 

• Like 1

If I can summon up enough care to follow the John Deer Classic, the KLM Open or the Indonesian Masters, I think I can squeeze in enough care for the FedEx Cup Playoffs and the Tour Championship.

Β 

Β 

That said, the new scoring system for the Tour Championship is a level of stupidity worthy of the United States Postal System.