2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Cobra's new King F9 Speedback Driver, Woods, Hybrids and Irons (NO BUY SELL TRADE POSTS)

GolfWRX

This video is forcing me to go get fit and order a cobra...dam.

:cheesy:

Oh, I'm sorry. You meant get fit for a Cobra ? My bad. I took it as you demoing different clubs.

BTW, vis-a-vis this latest video. I certainly can't relate to those ball speeds and carry distances but did you guys (who can relate) notice that,,,,,,,,,,,,

a) His smash factor was nowhere near 1.5 (which could either be a good thing or a bad thing - LOL)

b) While he nailed half his drives right down the center line, the other half of his shots were 30-45 yards OFF line ? (Or don't you care ? :D )

I mean don't get me wrong. If I can get the roughly 2% ball speed improvement he got on his "personal best" (185 vs. 181+) that would make me notice, even at my SS. But personal best isn't what I look at. Average center strike is what I look at. PB doesn't happen all that often. ;)

You wont typically see 1.5 on GC Quad like you can easily do 1.5-1.52 on Trackman. Ball speed is king.

And you should really watch the entire video, as well as the rest of the videos these guys have. The guy is extremely consistent and hits it a ton, his "average" with mis-hits with the F9 is better than a nutted one with just about everything recently released. He hit one square off the leading edge and it still had 178mph ball speed

Being skeptical is fine, but at least give it more than a quick browse and review all the data before getting super critical

Well, you're right about watching the whole thing. I believe I admitted as much. But I'd disagree about being "super" critical.

I only saw the first 3 shafts with some club head weight tweaking. I have no doubt the guy got "perfectly" by the end. And I agree the numbers are impressive.

I hit the F9 some weeks ago and was suitably impressed at the time although I haven't hit it again. I hit these in sims when the store isn't busy so nobody bothers me. And I seldom spend a lot of time testing multiple heads and shafts at the same time.

I also haven't eliminated any of the new clubs yet except maybe the M5. I just don't seem to get any good results with TM products. Maybe just a psychological thing (even though 1 of my best drivers ever was a TM). :dntknw:

I guess my whole point is about my surprise over such knowledgeable guys here going overboard over a video.

We've got a scratch player here who's brought down the Cobra site buying so many of them. :cheesy:

After all, the average reader here ISN'T quite so knowledgeable and I guess I'd like to add a little perspective before a lot of them go out spending their ca$h for something that might not work for them. Sort of a PSA if you will. :D

"Knowledgeable"? Might want to step down off that cross. Most seem knowledgeable within this thread. I've never retailed clubs but I'd wager golfing knowledge due to playing the game since the 70s. It was a great video and the point of it in case anyone missed it, is that this particular golfer and fitter had never seen speeds like this until the creation of the F9. That's pretty big news on a social media website. If not news or excitement then what's the point of this or any other site that focuses on golf.

Not everybody READING the thread is POSTING on it.

But you're right. They're big boys. They can watch out for themselves.

{stepping off cross now}

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

Wow, great video. He is definitely seeing higher swing speeds with the F9 than typical. He is usually around 172-176 ball speeds. Although, at the PGA show he hit a few 177-178 (with the F9 and G410). It's crazy that he is seeing an additional 6mph over his typical 'high' ball speeds.

I am INCREDIBLE jealous of what Matt does as a career. I believe he is a tech guy who works for TXG and now has a great relationship with Ian and tests all different clubs whenever he wants with whatever shaft he wants. That would be my ideal job (besides being on Tour). It's really awesome to see.

With that said, Ian's fitting ability amazes me every time. He knows the dynamics of the swing better than anyone along with what effects different shafts will have on the numbers. It's incredible to watch. If TXG was closer I would've already been there 615 times.

Needless to say, I will be testing the F9 again really soon. Also, this made me remember I hit the Fuji Pro 2.0 shaft really well one time I tried it. Need to look into that as well. Obviously not everyone will see these crazy ball speed gains, but it's working incredible well for Matt. 338 in the air, Jesus.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Question about the "Tour Length" versions Cobra does. Do they butt trim the club or tip trim it when it's tour length?

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

Is this the driver to beat this year??? It's looking mighty good!

Definitely.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Oh wow, so essentially the head will weigh close to 210 grams with the added weights. Hello [more] ball speed.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Do they also hot melt to the head ?

I ask because The gram conversion with both 45.5 and 44.5 being at D3 doesn't add up.

They remove an inch which I thought is approx 6 SW or 12 grams but yet they replace it with only 8grams in the head

Thoughts?

18 in the front 6 in the rear

The stock weights are 14 and 2, so its 8g additional. So that will only add 4 SW points when you lose 6 by chopping an inch off.

Butt trim and add weight to the head, tip trimming would change the flex too much

Based on the video golfwrx just posted, if you butt trim it and add weight, you are losing almost a full flex.

http://www.golfwrx.com/543080/club-building-101-what-happens-when-you-cut-down-a-driver/

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

I ask because The gram conversion with both 45.5 and 44.5 being at D3 doesn’t add up.

They remove an inch which I thought is approx 6 SW or 12 grams but yet they replace it with only 8grams in the head

Thoughts?

It’s 1,6 grams per swingweight point on a driver, not 2. Mid irons are 2 grams per point. Wedges are a bit more than 2 grams per point. It varies with the length of the club. The guideline of 2 grams per inch is quite incorrect on the longest and the shortest clubs in the set.

If you trim an inch you need to add 8 grams to maintain original swingweight on a driver

I know it's a single data point, but Rickie averaged 318 off the tee today, hit 78% of fairways

Cam Champ...299...30% of fairways

With a 43.5 driver....!

I ask because The gram conversion with both 45.5 and 44.5 being at D3 doesn’t add up.

Thoughts?

It’s 1,6 grams per swingweight point on a driver, not 2. Mid irons are 2 grams per point. Wedges are a bit more than 2 grams per point. It varies with the length of the club. The guideline of 2 grams per inch is quite incorrect on the longest and the shortest clubs in the set.

If you trim an inch you need to add 8 grams to maintain original swingweight on a driver

Mind blown man. Thank you for clarifying.

Thoughts?

Mind blown man...thank you for clarifying

Thoughts?

Great info! I didn't realize it scaled as such, makes sense those as length and total weight changes

I know it's a single data point, but Rickie averaged 318 off the tee today, hit 78% of fairways

Cam Champ...299...30% of fairways

Lol, Cam Champ must have been using a driving iron then!

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Butt trim and add weight to the head, tip trimming would change the flex too much

Based on the video golfwrx just posted, if you butt trim it and add weight, you are losing almost a full flex.

http://www.golfwrx.com/543080/club-building-101-what-happens-when-you-cut-down-a-driver/

You absolutely will soften the shaft if you butt trim an inch or more and maintain the same swingweight by adding back weight.

If you are certain you wish to maintain the stiffer flex you need to order the club tip trimmed at least half an inch. Since most people pick shafts that are too stiff, it is usually a positive thing to soften the shaft a little bit.

Cobra does not tip trim the “Tour length” clubs any extra. I just got off the phone with them. You must specifically request that if that’s what you want.

Thoughts?

Great info! I didn't realize it scaled as such, makes sense those as length and total weight changes

Yes. It can be very confusing. People obviously end up adding way to much weight if they always go by the 2 gram “rule”.

The reason behind it is how the scale works. The fulcrum point obviously never changes. It’s 14 inches from the end of the grip.

The farther the head gets from the fulcrum point, the less mass is needed to change the scale. If you can imagine a 5 foot long golf club and how far that head is from the fulcrum, you can probably imagine that it tales very little weight to change the scale reading one point.

Conversely, now imagine a tiny little 2 foot long golf club. The head is only 10 inches from the fulcrum. It’s going to take a LOT of weight to move that scale one point. Probably 3 or more grams. I don’t actually know how much. I should probably make one to find out.

Maybe time for an experiment.....

Edit....ok. I just mocked up a tiny little 31.5 inch wedge. As expected, it Took just over 3 grams to move the scale one point.

Got my avalanche today. Let’s move on to the Fairways!

What are your thoughts on the F9’s?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Got my avalanche today. Let’s move on to the Fairways!

What are your thoughts on the F9’s?

I posted a couple thoughts in this thread about the fairways. To me it’s just as solid as the driver. I’m going to order that also from DD when Cobra gets my shaft in. I would also like to hear more comments about the fairways.

Sent from my iPhone using GolfWRX Mobile

Came home from a week of travels, fought through the crazy Super Bowl traffic in Atlanta and found my Avalanche driver with Tensei Pro White 70. I also got my Avalanche 3 wood and dropped an old familiar Kaili in it. We are rolling out the southern hospitality this weekend with temps in the upper 50's and low 60's for all the SB guests. I will be on my course both days and hopefully the range tomorrow afternoon after work. Hope it works as well as the Yellow one I had. Already passed it on to a friend.