Is Justin Rose boring to watch?

20six

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say there's another element that plays into it as well and that's what sponsors do with them outside of the course. Fowler, DJ, Tiger, Phil, Day, and quite a few others have sponsors who put them in commercials, promotions, events, etc., where you get to see a lot more facets of them regularly. Phil hitting a flop over a patron at The Open, Tiger doing the wedge bounce for days to full swing, Day showing off his personality. We've also seen a bigger range from a lot of the other golfers. Something as public as Day feinting on course then continuing to play and going on to win really made a lot of people take notice of him and want to root for him. DJ being so close in so many majors before finally breaking through and the emotion he was feeling being evident every time he came up short.

Anyone who hasn't watched avidly probably hasn't seen much of Rose that's endearing nor off-putting, so he's just ho hum to see going about the business. Even if you've followed him a lot he just doesn't let it all hang out much so there's not much personality to see as he plays, and even when he gets in trouble his play is methodical and clean, so it's not very electrifying.

Not the guy you'd want to face in cup play or for a championship considering how cool he is under pressure, though =p

It's not his golf that's boring, it's his personality. I'm sure he's a nice guy but he doesn't seem comfortable in his own skin. And he doesn't know how to express emotion comfortably so he resorts to being robotic.

He's probably an extreme introvert but because of his success in golf he's thrust into the spotlight and expected to be an extrovert.

He does deserve a lot of credit for surviving and thriving under Foley. Even Tiger couldn't do that.

Just my 2 cents.

interesting discussion here about the human condition. The real question is more about us as people and why we find one golfer interesting and one golfer not so interesting, even though both of those golfers from an outside looking in perspective appear to be doing the exact same thing. Subtleties appear to be the key and we are much more entertained by the human part of a golfer vs his actual golfing ability.

How many people are saying Rose is boring in this thread and complaining about Rahm in the other thread?

Probably several, but they’re not really wrong. There’s plenty of room between petulant and a little vanilla. It’s not an either/or situation.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

How many people are saying Rose is boring in this thread and complaining about Rahm in the other thread?

Probably several, but they’re not really wrong. There’s plenty of room between petulant and a little vanilla. It’s not an either/or situation.

So what about the other thread talking about Rose throwing a club and kicking at it this week?

interesting discussion here about the human condition. The real question is more about us as people and why we find one golfer interesting and one golfer not so interesting, even though both of those golfers from an outside looking in perspective appear to be doing the exact same thing. Subtleties appear to be the key and we are much more entertained by the human part of a golfer vs his actual golfing ability.

Yes, is like chipmunk vs rat.

Basically the same but one is lauded for cuteness and the other villified as grotesque.

I may watch the LPGA on occasion just for the human parts.

And Adam Scott is just, well . . .

Justin has been one of my favourite golfers since he starred at the Open as an Am finishing t-4th. He is a decent guy, and a great golfer. I would suspect Brits like me will warm to him as he has more of a british understated way about him, and our sense of humour and self deprecation. This is the guy who posted this in response to Rory squatting about 300lbs after all...

001caf51_4b019640-704f-11e4-9684-7f90adb5761a_rose-mcilroy-weight.jpeg

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

What I respect about Rose is his perseverance in staying relevant. He has never been the greatest putter which has kept him from winning more. Winning the US Open at Merion and an Olympic Hold are both amazing achievements and I would give him a good shot at winning the US Open at Pebble this year if it wasn’t for Tiger.

Well, his shirt is ugly today.

But I liked the shout-out to his caddie. That was good.

It's pretty rare for someone to go through a major club change like Rose did and come out and win so early. Struggling to come up with someone else who did that so quickly.

Koepka won back to back US Opens after switching from Nike to Mizuno irons. CHIII won after switching from PXG to TItleist.

His reaction after sticking the shot on 18 and his post-round interview were the kind of little moments that I was talking about where his personality comes shining through. It's great seeing that but also fine knowing that's not an everyday thing for him. He can keep being boring in terms of being long and straight and I'll keep enjoying that swing and steady play.

Let me see, he doesn't snort coke, he doesn't bang a different ho everyday, ummmm yeah, he's boring.

Seriously, the internet brings them out.

Classy last comment.

Not.

Daddy always mentioned that the truth hurts.

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

Much more interesting while walking with his group than watching on television. Rose clearly enjoys it out there and is always relaxed. Perpetual little grin. Unlike most pros who think stone faced and silent is proper, he will acknowledge gallery members between green and tee box, turning to them with a smile and saying something followed by mate.

He also wisecracks with playing competitors. I used to hear that on the 16th tee at Doral while they waited for the green to clear.

During the rare occasions Rose gets in trouble, he has surprising amount of self deprecating humor, especially while moving gallery members around. Instead of barking for more space like most caddies or players he'll use body language and say something like, "You really trust me that much?"

I use that example because I remember those exact words one time.

His recovery shots are often remarkable. That surprised me most once I began following him.

Rose can get a bit sour and low energy when he knows he had a chance to win but mostly blew it on his own. I've seen that a couple of times. He mostly limps home and it can be boring.