New Mizuno irons coming - Tour Proto Pics

> @SUPERG said:

> Man I love the look of the new MMC, just looks a lot better than the 18 version. Tempted to get a 4-PW set of just the MMC, although I know a lot of folks say the feel isn't as nice.

I have the 18 MMCs. They feel soft but nothing like the SC or MB and personally I think they are a little on the "hot" side. My yardages have jumped a little bit with them but the MBs they feel more true with the distance.

Mizuno ST200 10.5* - Tensei Blue 70x
Ping G 13* - Tour 80x
Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi - 3i Mitsubishi Tensei White 90TX
Mizuno MP-18 4-9 C Taper Lite X
Mizuno T7 46/53/58
Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s

> @golfinguru11 said:

> Does anyone know the reasoning behind why the bounce numbers are so low? Apparently that’s a Mizuno thing that I never realized.

Most blades have similar grinds. I personally prefer it as I started playing MP-14s a few decades back. I tried Ping S55's for a bit, but switched back to the MP-18s. The S55s have significantly higher bounce. The S55s were great clubs but my swing simply works better with the MP-18 sole grind.

The sole grind and how it works with your swing and release is the most important aspect of the 7 thru PW. Most better players prefer less bounce as they tend to not get overly steep. The lower bounce gives smoother turf interaction for these swings and more predictable ball flight.

I've actually switched to lower bounce wedges to better match my MP-18s. I've noticed radically better full shot performance with my wedges.

My theory as to why fewer tour players use blades today than in the past is due to using player's CBs as a junior when they develop their games. Many juniors today grow up with player's CB irons (ex. Spieth, Day and Rahm).

With that said, out of the current top 10, everyone except Rahm (P750) and Cantlay (AP2) play blades. Out of the Top 20 I think it is around 15-16 blades to 4 player's CBs.

If you go back to the 90s and 00s there were a few top guys that played shovels. Monty played Callaway shovels and Westwood played Ping shovels. I would guess they grew up with Eye2s in the late 80s as those became ubiquitous.

• Like 2

> @MillerLowLife said:

> Gotta say, I've been playing the full set of MP18 MB's this past year and I've been wanting more height out of my 4/5 irons.... if that's what you should be thinking about when choosing HMB/MMC I would probably go the HMB route. Especially after how that address picture looks.

>

> EDIT: Also, I asked golfnation for a PW address pic but got the 7i instead.

I've been playing 6-P MB and 4-5 SC for the past year. I'm good on height, but I will definitely test out the 4i HMB. When my strike gets a bit iffy I wouldn't mind some more forgiveness out of the 4 and maybe even the 5. The problem I've had with the PXG, i500 and P790 hollow body irons is that they were way too hot. That is great in a driving iron but not great for consistency or gapping the 4-6 irons. If Mizuno can engineer some of the heat out of the face, the HMB might be a great option.

They look awesome, can't wait to hit them. Love the direction they took this year.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

> @revanant said:

> > @golfinguru11 said:

> > Does anyone know the reasoning behind why the bounce numbers are so low? Apparently that’s a Mizuno thing that I never realized.

>

> I would be curious about the answer, myself. I've heard the Luke Donald sole is a bit funky in it's shaping such that even though the listed bounce is low, in reality the design is still effective at not overly digging. Don't quote me, though.

>

> For what it's worth, I don't find it to be an issue on my MP-4s. I'm not a digger--my angle of attack tends to range between -2 degrees and -5 degrees. My MP-4s are bent 2 degrees strong, such that the listed bounce on my irons is as follows:

> * 4i-5i = 0 degrees

> * 6i-7i = 1 degrees

> * 8i = 2 degrees

> * 9i = 3 degrees

> * PW = 4 degrees

>

> In other words, the bounce on my MP-4s is the same as the bounce on the MP-20s. In practice, on turf, what I find is that I take easier divots with my MP-4s, with more of a traditional strip without really trying, whereas with other irons in the past I would more typically skim the turf or brush the grass. I also very rarely find the leading edge or sole getting in the way of my swing.

Yea, as a digI wish Voshall or someone from Mizuno could chime in to explain the reasoning. > @macnewma said:

> > @golfinguru11 said:

> > Does anyone know the reasoning behind why the bounce numbers are so low? Apparently that’s a Mizuno thing that I never realized.

>

> Most blades have similar grinds. I personally prefer it as I started playing MP-14s a few decades back. I tried Ping S55's for a bit, but switched back to the MP-18s. The S55s have significantly higher bounce. The S55s were great clubs but my swing simply works better with the MP-18 sole grind.

>

> The sole grind and how it works with your swing and release is the most important aspect of the 7 thru PW. Most better players prefer less bounce as they tend to not get overly steep. The lower bounce gives smoother turf interaction for these swings and more predictable ball flight.

>

> I've actually switched to lower bounce wedges to better match my MP-18s. I've noticed radically better full shot performance with my wedges.

>

> My theory as to why fewer tour players use blades today than in the past is due to using player's CBs as a junior when they develop their games. Many juniors today grow up with player's CB irons (ex. Spieth, Day and Rahm).

> With that said, out of the current top 10, everyone except Rahm (P750) and Cantlay (AP2) play blades. Out of the Top 20 I think it is around 15-16 blades to 4 player's CBs.

>

> If you go back to the 90s and 00s there were a few top guys that played shovels. Monty played Callaway shovels and Westwood played Ping shovels. I would guess they grew up with Eye2s in the late 80s as those became ubiquitous.

This actually makes sense. Thinking of ordering the lefty set 1 degree weak just to get an extra degree of bounce and a bit of trajectory since I also grew up playing players cavities. Anyone think this could be a good idea? Also the PW would be a more traditional 47 degrees, flowing better with a 52.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 9.5* - Ventus TR Red 6x
Callaway Paradym 3w (@ 16*) - Ventus TR Red 7x
Callaway Paradym 7w (21*) - Ventus TR Red 8x
Srixon ZX7 (4-PW) - KBS Tour V 120x
Vokey SM8 Raw 52F,56D,60M - TI S400 
Odyssey 2-ball OG / Bettinardi DASS BBZero Flow / many more...

Lefty

Any idea the size of the MP-20 Blade head? Compared to the 919 Tour head?

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

I am ordering my custom build 919T, will let you guys sort out the best set make up on these, then sell my stock 919 in the spring and get a set. I always jump too early on these mizuno releases, going to give this one some time

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

> @Warrick said:

> I am ordering my custom build 919T, will let you guys sort out the best set make up on these, then sell my stock 919 in the spring and get a set. I always jump too early on these mizuno releases, going to give this one some time

I'll check back with ya on September 20th and see if you have picked up your new MPs yet? You and I have similar problems! Lol!

• Like 1

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

> @phatchrisrules said:

> Count me in for a set of HMB...I've already resigned myself to more money spent.

yea pretty much.

Titleist TSR3 9 - Diamana GT 60 tx

Titleist TSi3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 tx

Mizuno Pro 223 $ Taper HT 130x

Vokey SM7 50F, 55S KBS Hi Rev 2.0 135x

Vokey SM9 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125x

Ping PLD Kushin 4/TP Mills Dale/TP Mills Nellie

Pro V1

> @jetmech879 said:

> > @Warrick said:

> > I am ordering my custom build 919T, will let you guys sort out the best set make up on these, then sell my stock 919 in the spring and get a set. I always jump too early on these mizuno releases, going to give this one some time

>

> I'll check back with ya on September 20th and see if you have picked up your new MPs yet? You and I have similar problems! Lol!

Don’t we all!? Isn’t that why we are WRX’s!? Haha ??

• Like 2

> @Warrick said:

> I am ordering my custom build 919T, will let you guys sort out the best set make up on these, then sell my stock 919 in the spring and get a set. I always jump too early on these mizuno releases, going to give this one some time

You’ll have them by end of September....book it....

> @BlackM00Nlight said:

> > @jetmech879 said:

> > > @Warrick said:

> > > I am ordering my custom build 919T, will let you guys sort out the best set make up on these, then sell my stock 919 in the spring and get a set. I always jump too early on these mizuno releases, going to give this one some time

> >

> > I'll check back with ya on September 20th and see if you have picked up your new MPs yet? You and I have similar problems! Lol!

>

> Don’t we all!? Isn’t that why we are WRX’s!? Haha ??

>

Amen! I told myself there is no new MP iron that will pull my MP 18 MMCs from the bag this year.... yeah about that. I already have the funds set aside for a set to pre order! Lol! My excuse is I need to try some different shafts to ease some minor elbow issues. What better time to try the $taper than in some nice new blades!

• Like 2

I'm dying to hear how the HMB sounds and looks size wise compared to the MB! Still thinking combo set but is the HMB set is rocking some compact short irons I may just get a full set.

> @deep18 said:

> Look I get the frustration. I’m not saying I wouldn’t be frustrated if I were a lefty. But can we move on from all the hate. We get it, the lefties are upset. No matter how many angry posts show up, it’s not going to change what the release is. Let’s talk about what they did release and if it’s not what you wanted, start complaining directly to Mizuno (or the other OEMs that don’t do what you want).

>

>

Thank you so much for this post. I mean no disrespect to any left handed players, but the vast majority of us want to discuss/see pics etc etc, when we click on a thread like this. It is getting more and more frustrating to scroll through countless posts of lefties complaining about left handed offerings. We cannot do anything about that and these complaints need to be directed at the various companies. Your post was what I was almost word for word thinking while going through this thread, looking for more pics and possible specs or any more information that an insider may have. Anyways rant over....these irons look AMAZING and was actually just about to pull trigger on mp18 sc/mb combo set, but I for sure will be holding off for these bad boys, well done Mizuno.

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST MaxLS 9*w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

I am a lefty who is happy with this release. Not perfect, but good enough. I recently picked up some LH mp-32 (3-pw) heads that are in excellent condidtion. Going to shaft them up and probably pick up the new mp-20s after the new year. Just have to figure out what I'm going to use as a 3 and 4 iron.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

Not surprising but these look fantastic. Oddly enough I'm most excited about the T20's. The Nike's are getting a little old after ~5 years and are in need of replacement soon.

Hopefully these don't let me down in person (looking at you, S18's).

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"