Walker and DeChambeau

Sean2

Reading Global Golf Post this morning, I saw a couple of interesting things: 

Jimmy Walker played with a steel shafted driver and 3-wood this week. He was messing with his old steel-shafted three wood during the lockdown and said he was "blown away" by how well it worked. He also decided to put a steel shaft in his driver. They are the TT X100. Be curious to see how that plays out. He averaged 322 yards with it this past week. 

Bryson worked out a lot during the lockdown. He wants the strength to hit the ball farther. His driver is 5.5º and he is looking to get a 3-wood that is 10º. His goal is to carry his tee shots 340 yards.

DeChambeau is hitting it some unreal distances. I think of the two Bryson is going about it in a little bit more sense. He is working out and working on flexibility and speed training to get to his goal. Walker...well, I don't know if steel makes a load of sense these days. He may have been hitting it 320+ but he also was cut at +6 over the first two rounds while DeChambeau finished 3rd. Different players of course and Walker hasn't really contended in anything since he got Lyme Disease but it seems like Bryson has really figured out what works for him and he is focused on that goal. He reminds me a lot of Tiger at the same age, he won't settle until he can be perfect.

As an aside, I'd love to see the WRX community freak out at a 10* 3 wood, 14* 5 wood. If they lose it at a 43* PW or 26* 6i imagine....

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9 -- Accra TZFive 60

Callaway Paradym 15 & Paradym TD 18  -- Accra TZFive 70

Cobra King Tec 22 & 25 -- MMT 80

Ping i525 6-PW, UW -- Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54 & 58 -- DG Spinner 

Bettinardi Hive Custom -- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

RIP Alpha 90 TX. Available at Ace Hardware in the Hoe Handle section!

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

The Dechambeau thing is kind of fascinating. I've posted before that some of these REMAX long drive guys have some looking swings, where i wondered how long it would be before there's some pro who just kind of treats the game like that. Bryson is kind of trying that i guess, where it's just a pure mathematical "longer is always better" type approach . I would imagine there will be days where this approach is a disaster, as you can be pretty wild with a 5.5 driver going full bore. But some courses it may really work.

I imagine this will make a lot of people mad, if he is succesful with it

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Strokes gained says it's really the way to go. And it makes sense. If you hit it 340 and your are playing against someone who hits it 300 not only are you hitting your next shot from 140 instead of 180, you might be hitting a gap wedge instead of a 7i. A gap wedge from the rough at 140 probably is going to end up closer to the whole on average than a 7i from the middle of the fairway. Add in the times you hit the fairway with the long drive, and the advantage is clear. And that's assuming the guy who hits is 300 is much more accurate. Because you move that 7i to the rough, and you have an even bigger advantage.

I think guys like Matthew Wolf are going to be the first in a long line of guys with that mindset. Especially now since the instructors I know are more than happy to let kids swing hard and do anything they can to increase their speed at young ages. My lessons as a kid were all about slowing down and trying to control things. Now, they want you as fast as possible and they'll figure out control later.

This all assumes that the USGA/RA don't do something to roll things back. Right now distance is the most important skill on tour. It's not just that guys hit the ball too far, it's that being able to hit it far is more important than anything else. If they develop a ball rollback that forces diminishing returns of ball speed as the swing speed gets over 120, this all might change.

• Like 1

Yes agreed, I'm pretty interested in monitoring his progress. Though as mentioned im not convinced this is a recipe for consistency, there will likely be some events where this does not work, as 340 with a 5.5 degree driver , it doesn't much to hit it off the planet either.

But some events he will probably look unstoppable, kind of like Rory at congressional way back

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

They criticized Jack Nicklaus for hitting it so far it didn't matter if he was in the rough. I think he hit a 360 yard drive at a long drive contest back is 1963. He also consistenly drove it 300 yards, he was probably 40-60 yards longer that the field when he was hitting it good, no wonder he won so much.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

Honestly, my biggest takeaway was to get into the gym and add some club head speed... I’m an average wrx er with an 112 driver speed... a 10% gain puts me at 122... that sounds fun.

ill be curious if many other recreational golfers start speed training outside of speed sticks.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I am also really interested in this as well. I have a set of Superspeeds I have been working with over the winter and while I haven't gone out to play yet it's fun to hit the sim at work and see how much easier it is. My dispersion on the monitor is no worse than before but I am 2 clubs longer than I was in October/November. As @arbeck says, put simply, that is an advantage where I can now hit a club with more loft, is shorter, and I am 20 yards closer to the hole, all else equal. I literally can't think of a single course where longer hurts you. The objective of the game is to get it into the hole in as few strokes as possible and getting it closer to the hole off the tee is the easiest way to do that. The scary thing I have noticed is he is super accurate still. Every drive I saw, now I missed all of Sunday due to work, was laced right down the middle of the fairway. His irons and wedges he just hit soooo high with so much spin they hit and stuck immediately. As long as he has his distance control down (which, be honest, which tour pro doesn't?), he could just throw darts at the flag because his ball speed, peak height, and spin is going to be so high because of his speed, the descent angle is going to be so steep he is going to stop the ball with ease.
This could be a scary move for a lot of pros. I don't think we are going to see another Tiger-like run but I do think he's going to be in the winner's circle a heck of a lot more than he used to be. Off topic but as Arbeck says, I too was in the training camp of "swing slow for control" from all my coaches, and I hate them all for it. I am at least 20 yards shorter than most people my age, and at the time was easily 45 yards shorter than any good player. I am hoping to continue training to get some speed. Obviously I'm not going to be scaring 130 like Bryson, but I'd like to get to 110, which is a 10% improvement from where I was.

Callaway Paradym 9 -- Accra TZFive 60

Callaway Paradym 15 & Paradym TD 18  -- Accra TZFive 70

Cobra King Tec 22 & 25 -- MMT 80

Ping i525 6-PW, UW -- Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54 & 58 -- DG Spinner 

Bettinardi Hive Custom -- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

My biggest takeaway was watching Bryson hit a drive 350+ on a long par 4 - and then taking four more strokes to get the last 100 yards. At least three times when I was watching he either took two shots to get out of the bunker or took two chips to get the ball on the green. Saturday I think he was 3rd from last in both SG putting and SG around the green. Will be interesting to watch him on some wide open tracks once he gets warmed up.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

It'll be interesting to watch DeChambeau's progress. You gotta hand it to the guy for approaching the game in different and incredibly committed ways. What other Pro put on that much muscle in such a short amount of time? Bryson's ball speed (which has a lot to do with loft btw, not just speed) has jumped like 20mph in 6-months.

Meanwhile, between injury and quarantine, Brooks is starting to pack on the pounds lol

One thing about DeChambeau's weight gain, there is a limit to how much muscle you can put on without pharmacological help.

There is newbie gains but still, majority of that 25lbs is fat.

Rather than weight I would love to see how he has improved in the gym - Squat, Clean, Snatch, jump height etc and yes I really couldn't care less about bench(Brooks).

What he actually does in the gym and how his program is structured for the year.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

@scott_Donald As someone who does weightlifting I thing the snatch is pretty advanced and can be hard on the shoulders when the form is off (I'm not good at them). Power cleans and front squats are great and don't require a lot of practice to learn to do correctly.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

He may have had 4 shots from 100 but I’d still take that 100yds over 150yds all day long. May not pay off every time but it will on the long haul.

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

Why would he? There are many healthier options and I am sure he's getting better advice than us. He could be taking creatine, pounding steak and potatoes and having protein shakes consistently. Also, usually people who take steroids are not the analytical type. They are usually found on the shallow end of the IQ pool. Didn't DeShampoo also talk about how he was into controlling his breathing, using some technique or other. Does that sound like someone who wants roid rage to enter into the equation?

So, to ask the question, proves you haven't put much thought into it. Kind of says more about you than it does the topic of the conversation.

• Like 1

You don't know what roiding looks like if you think Bryson is roiding. Dude thickened up everywhere and put on a lot of fat as well, unavoidable when bulking. Looks like good old fashioned hard work to me.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Blue 6X

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

Smart people can do stupid things, it’s the business I am in.

I have an engineering (like him) and business management educational background, can you assume I am smart? Decbeau is human like all of us, hell he can be a dumb ass too like that cyclist guy or all pro athletes, but yeah rule it out based on your “high IQ theory “.

My previous comment originated from a trust worthy club pro which I did not dismissed coming from a retired athletic background.

I cannot 100% rule it out unless we want to make believe moving forward lol

Lastly, I don’t know or even care about Deaxbambeau other than his one iron length club stuff, Walker has a major win which is a news above shoulders than the Dexhambeau.

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with body builders crossing over to golf!

If your expertise is telling you that Bryson is using PED’s, you need to bulk up on your expertise.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip