2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How many of you play a 2 iron, and what's your setup?

Oknows

That a helluva club right there, hah. You could take the fur off a squirrel in front of the tee box with that thing.

I've settled in to doing something slightly unconventional with a 2-iron. Yes I pretty much always carry one, but I bend them weak and use them as strong driving 3-irons that still gap with two fairway woods. This makes them far more versatile for me for several reasons;

1) More launch and spin if I want it, making it more viable than just as a tee club

2) Less offset, blends better with my set irons

3) Lighter head means I can load it up with hotmelt for a more solid feel and still play it at a slightly longer length without it getting too heavy

4) Leaves room to gap with a stronger 5-wood but still has the firepower to replace one if needed.

I found that a dedicated modern driving iron around 18* was just little too one dimensional for my game, and I hated giving up a fairway wood in that spot as I really like them, so I tried to take most of the good (distance, accuracy, reliability) without the bad (too demanding off the deck, hard to get enough spin, sacrificing a fairway wood) by bending them weaker and using graphite instead of steel for feel and a little more speed. I feel like I can have my cake and eat it too with this approach.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I have a number of 2 irons that get some time, depending on the iron set in play. Shafts vary among Dynamic/DynamicGold, Super Peening Blue, Rifle, Precision stepped, NV105, and RIP Tour. Kind of all over the place, LOL.

Lofts vary as well, from 17* to 20*.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I don't have an iron with a "2" on it but I have a 16 degree Titleist U510 1 iron - it's the only club between my driver and 3 iron. It's a pretty useful club - I can keep it low, get it up in the air, move it left, move it right, modulate the spin...

I use it if I need 250m (273y) off the tee or 230m from the fairway. I can hold greens with it but I don't really try to - I'm not accurate enough at those ranges.

Shaft is a HZRDS Smoke 6.0, which I don't like much but the results are pretty good so it might just stay like that for a while.

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

What shaft is in yours?

- Something that continues to go long off the tee in the fairway
- Something that is a fairway finder when needed and long
- Something that high, consistent and helps with par 5’s
-  Something to help with long par3’s and short par 4’s

-  Something metal, lots of them and go the gaps I need
- Something metal, 2x of them and helps me 120y and in
- Putters - limited rotation because I cannot afford misses

Golf is what you make of it.  Play grateful and accepting. We are all lucky to have it.

Rather than expecting lets all try and appreciate instead. 
Treat people the way you want to be treated

I try to pick clubs that make it easy to pull off certain shots that I find are required where I play.

There's no sense in sticking a club in the bag if I don't need it or leaving something at home that could be useful. I've flirted with a 2i and presently have a 17* T-MB 2 that's pretty powerful when struck well but my ball-striking tends to come and go and I found I didn't really play my best when laying back that much off the tee. I found that I can hit a powerful draw off the tee more consistently with my 17* AeroBurner 4w and so that's the club I use.

I think a 2i can be very sensible if a player would rather hit iron off the tee but that requires he/she be pretty long relative to the overall demands of the course. I could hit my 2i as far as 235-yd sometimes but in general that's not a great tee shot.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

S400 - same as my irons. Could definitely get some more distance out of it with graphite, but I use the 2i to cover the gap from my 4i to 4w and this setup is perfect for that gap.

I will say the stock shaft offerings on the Srixon U-series are really inadequate if you bring any sort of speed. The stock Nippon NS Pro 980GH was way too light and launched to the moon. I don't think the graphite option was much better.

Another vote for the low-lofted GI iron... Have a Cobra Speedzone "4" iron thats at around 18*... and its like cheating. Originally thought the offset would throw me off, but don't even notice it anymore. Stupid easy from the tee or fairway.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* - MCA D+ LTD 70TX

Taylormade Sim 15* - MRC Kai'li Blue 70TX

Titleist U505 1-Iron - MRC Tensei Blue 75X

Callaway Apex MB (8-PW) XForged (4-7) - MCA MMT 105TX

Vokey Wedges - 52/56 - DG AMT S300

EVNROLL Midlock ER2V

The best 2i I had was the Taylormade GAPR lo. Currently shopping around for another one I'm hoping to build for the winter season. (I personally see a 2i as a "situational/course condition specific club")

I'll probably go Gapr lo * with a 95-100 gram low torque graphite shaft - would love to find something like a speeder 757 or maybe even an old whiteboard.

Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 16.5*, with a KBS Tour C-Taper Lite 115X shaft. Based on loft I guess this is closer to a 1-iron.

I rotate it in and out of the bag (dropping either my 2 hybrid or an extra wedge) depending on weather and course conditions.

Use it primarily for tee shots in windy conditions - gets a lot of play in Jan-March when the wind is howling and fairways are hard here in FL.

Once rain season starts (April or May), it usually goes back in the garage due to soft fairways.

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

We have one course in the area that is a links. Hard, sandy, soil, windy, the whole package. There and only there does the 2 iron get to leave the spare bag. And I play straight 2-PW, Driver, 3w, putter, 56, and TEE 19° hybrid. The deuce is a pure tee club for a pair of into-the-wind par 4's.

img-20200515-215755206.jpg

Ping Eye2+ 2I has been a staple in my bag for years. I keep trying various driving irons but always revert back to the Ping. Maybe I don't generate the speed but I don't see big distance gains with modern driving irons. The Ping is accurate, carries 220 off the tee and runs like a scolded dog. Also a great 2nd shot on par 5s as well when I want as much distance but don't feel comfortable with the 3W.

• Like 1

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

Those are some great points. My 2 iron is literally my 5 wood replacement.

I have:

M2 3 wood (15*)

GAPR Lo (17 adjust to 15.5*)

3 iron at (19*)

and then 5-PW

I really only use the 2 iron off the tee and the 3 iron on the fairway like you were mentioning. I just can’t hit a wood to save my life haha.

i play a mizuno mmc fli-hi 2i 16.5* with a c-taper 130g shaft. it's versatile off of the tee and works well for approaches into long par 5's. i've considered getting a lighter shaft for more distance but i like the stability and accuracy of the current set-up. i've also worked a bit on trajectory control and like being able to sting it under the wind or play the ball a bit up in my stance and hit a higher shot that lands softly. i feel like a lighter shaft might limit shot-making a bit more though i guess i won't know until i try something else.

Huge fan of the P790 UDI I'm currently gaming.

Originally had the stock HZRDUS Smoke 6.5 but hated the feel. Opted to match my irons with a Nippon Modus 120X at 0.75" shorter to match SW. It's a monster now.

Never been a fan of fairway woods off the tee so this gets a lot of play when I just need to hit a fairway but it's pretty handy from the turf too. Carry is 240ish off the tee and around 225-230 off the deck depending on trajectory.

Great gapping off the deck since my 1" short 3W carries 240-250 and my 4iron carries 215. Never thought I'd feel this confident in this part of the bag.

You can have my 2 iron when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!

There are only 2 clubs in my bag I'd say I have a real attachment to. One is my Srixon U85 2 iron with a Modus 105 X shaft. The other is my Ping Glide 2.0 wide sole 60 lob wedge (soggy, wet conditions and greens that usually run 12+/-). Maybe my G410 U wedge is a close third, for two-thirds to full swings, making it nearly flawless from about 105-125 yards.

It's a 230ish club off the tee for me as a 110-115mph driver swing speed guy. Great for normal/short par 4's, where the risk of an errant shot on tight par 4's outweighs any advantage of distance gains. And it goes 250 on firm ground, 275 with a tail wind and firm conditions, and can still eek out 210 into a 2 club wind with a good chance of staying out of trouble.

Into the wind it's still useful for long approaches or even going for it on par 5's, as its wind rise is enough to keep it from landing super shallow and rolling forever, but penetrating enough to go just as far as a 5 wood with more control and penetrating flight.

And then there is the punch-out potential. You just have to really baby it if you're less than about 170-180 yards. And you can play it back in your stance and fade it around and under a tree with a shot that goes no more than 10 feet off the ground but rolls out about 200 yards.

Used to love my MP 37 2 iron. My game just isn't where it needs to be to play it. Haven't found anything that I like to replace it though so I might put it back in for looks.?

MP-H4 w/ DG x100. Love that club, much more versatile than hybrids or woods in my opinion.

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

What qualifies as capable of playing a 2 iron? Ball striking with irons is probably the strength of my game, but I’m really only around 105-108 with driver. High launcher. Trying to decide between adding the 4 iron or the 2 iron to the bag.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

If you can get it in the air, you qualify.

I only swing driver at around 100mph and have a 2i in the bag. Hit it yesterday into the wind from 200 out. Apex was maybe 40-50 feet high tops but it hit the green and held. Rolled out maybe 10 feet.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Carry a taylormade gapr mid 3 @ 18* so basically 2 iron loft. Have a project X rifle 5.0 2 iron steel shaft in it. Long and forgiving use it mostly off the tee as a fairway finder.

PXG 0811X Gen2 11* Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6s

Titliest 917F2 21* Diamana S+ 70 S flex

Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron RCH 96 firm flex

Srixon ZU85 4 and 5 iron UST recoil 95 F3

Callaway Apex MB 18 6-PW KBS Tour V S flex 

Clevland RTX3 50* and 54* Dynamic gold S300

Vokey SM6 58* Dynamic gold S300

Scotty Cameron Newport Pro Platinum Mil Spec with KBS CT tour Putter 120 shaft