Big Box Store Etiquette

ilikegolf26

Are you in the market to purchase?

If you have a good relationship with the store and trust their fitter, why not just buy there?  Seems most manufacturers are running some sort of trade in bonus currently where you can almost get a new club for as good as what Discount Dan’s can quote you.

I’ve done it in the past though but the current fitter/pro at my local Golf Galaxy is as good as they get.  If everyone would go and get fitted and then buy online there might not be any big box stores to go to.

if you’re just using the simulator for practice, buy some balls or shoes and at least you’re giving them business.  Golf Galaxy charges per half hour during the off season generally to deter people from abusing this.

• Like 2

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

21 minutes ago, ilikegolf26 said:

Is it poor etiquette to go to a Big Box store and hit clubs in the simulator without any intention of buying anything?

What are your ultimate intentions? IF you just want to hit some clubs and they know you are not in the market, then no big deal. But, if you intend to use the facilities then go purchase online, BAD FORM

• Like 3

No real answer to this question. A lot of it depends on the store and when you are going. 

Anytime the store is busy it would be bad form to be taking up the sales people's time and/or occupying a hitting bay if you aren't planning to buy anything. This would be the case on pretty much any weekend. Now if you are there on a random Tuesday morning, the place is relatively empty and they have 4 or 5 empty hitting bays I don't see an issue asking someone to setup a bay for you and give you an iron or driver to bang away with.  

33 minutes ago, BC33 said:

Are you in the market to purchase?

If you have a good relationship with the store and trust their fitter, why not just buy there?  Seems most manufacturers are running some sort of trade in bonus currently where you can almost get a new club for as good as what Discount Dan’s can quote you.

I’ve done it in the past though but the current fitter/pro at my local Golf Galaxy is as good as they get.  If everyone would go and get fitted and then buy online there might not be any big box stores to go to.

if you’re just using the simulator for practice, buy some balls or shoes and at least you’re giving them business.  Golf Galaxy charges per half hour during the off season generally to deter people from abusing this.

I am in the market to purchase a new driver.  However, if I like the SIM or Mavrik I would probably buy elsewhere.  If I like the G410 or G400 MAX and that's what I go with I would probably just buy it from them.  I really would just like to take those 4 or 5 clubs and hit them without being fitted or anything. I have been playing the G LS TEC and nothing I have hit in the last 3 years has been anything that would kick that driver out of the bag.  I already know my general specs and the numbers I should be at when I am swinging good (I have a launch monitor and bay in my garage so definitely wouldn't be going just to hit balls).

Only you know the real intention also the answer to your question.

Ping                       G430 10k Driver w/GD Tour AD VF 5S
Ping                       G430 3 Wood w/GD Tour AD UB 6S

Titleist                   Titleist u505 2 iron w/GD Tour AD IZ 95S

Titleist                   T200 4/T150 5-P Irons w/Axiom 105S

Titleist                   48F w/Axiom 105S 54S/60K Wedges w/Fujikura MCI 105 MILD

LAB                   Mezz 1 Max Broomstick w/Accra

10 hours ago, ilikegolf26 said:

I am in the market to purchase a new driver.  However, if I like the SIM or Mavrik I would probably buy elsewhere.  If I like the G410 or G400 MAX and that's what I go with I would probably just buy it from them.  I really would just like to take those 4 or 5 clubs and hit them without being fitted or anything. I have been playing the G LS TEC and nothing I have hit in the last 3 years has been anything that would kick that driver out of the bag.  I already know my general specs and the numbers I should be at when I am swinging good (I have a launch monitor and bay in my garage so definitely wouldn't be going just to hit balls).

You are going to try clubs, and considering purchasing them from the store (even if you won't necessarily purchase at the store)... I say that's fair game. 

Generic society rules apply, though...

1. Be nice to the staff... 

2. Don't take up a hitting bay if it's crowded (unless that's the only time you can go)

3. Keep the number of clubs hit to a minimum and make sure you know where they go when you are done... They probably have a sanitizing station.

The big box stores have big demo bays for a reason... If they only wanted people who were getting fit / intent on buying something to use them, they'd change the way you got to access them. I'm always friendly with the golf staff at stores, and rarely buy much from them... They haven't seemed to have a problem with me demoing stuff. 

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I believe it is poor etiquette to hit clubs at the store on their monitors then buy on-line to save a few dollars. The good news is, in my area, the stores have been doing gangbusters since reopening.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2+ Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2 18 Speeder 757 Evo V

Mizuno Max Hybrid 22

Titleist T350 5-7

Titleist T200 8-48
Ping s159 54,60
Scotty Cameron Jet Setter NP2

I would recommend going at a non-crowded time.  It is a dangerous idea though, thinking you aren't going to buy anything. It is like walking into a Porsche dealer just to take that new 718 Spyder for a spin; you always wanted to know what the most focused driver's car Porsche makes is really like and what is the harm in taking it for a spin?  You may walk out of there $120,000 poorer! 

Of course the store has every incentive to get you to try something; it is easy to fall in love and make that snap decision to buy a new driver or wedge you didn't really need.  It really takes some willpower not to eventually "buy" something.  Also, if you are in the store, you are a lot more likely to pick up a couple of gloves, some balls, maybe a new polo. I don't know the specific margins for clubs but I can almost guarantee you that margins on accessories and clothes are much more significant; typically 50-55%.  If the simulator got you in the store to try a club and you go on to spend $150 on other accessories, the store pocketed $75, which is probably the same as if they had sold you a $250 fairway wood at 30% margin. 

Mission accomplished. 

4 minutes ago, sofla said:

I believe it is poor etiquette to hit clubs at the store on their monitors then buy on-line to save a few dollars. The good news is, in my area, the stores have been doing gangbusters since reopening.

That is the case here too with stores-super busy and doing well. 

I only buy used though-too much variability in ordering something new and not having it work out on the course for me.  How many sets here are for sale that were "custom ordered, played 3 rounds, didn't bond well to"?  Students like myself can't afford to light $700 on fire!  If I were buying new, I would probably go directly to the clubfitter that I would use, but if I couldn't, why not at least give the big store a shot, especially if the price and service is competitive? 

Reality check: Big Box stores rarely have decent launch monitor stations for testing clubs.

Why don't you go to a golf-specialty retailer like Golf Galaxy, PGA Superstore...

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I ask first to use the simulator vs just going in and start banging away.  Like others have said, it depends on how busy they are at the time.  Early morning or after the lunch rush is usually a good time. 

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 9* with Oban Isawa 55
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3hl and 5-wood with Aldila NVS
Callaway Ai smoke TD 7-wood with Aldila NVS
Callaway Ai Smoke 5h with Project X Cypher
Callaway Apex Pro  6-AW irons with Nippon Modus 105
Callaway Jaws Raw 52 with Nippon Modus 105
Callaway Jaws Raw 56 with Nippon Modus 105
Toulon LeMans or Ai Mini Jailbird

You can ask the employees there if you can hit some of their clubs on a launch monitor and see if they are comfortable with it. Just be upfront and honest and you’ll find out what your answer is.

Driver: Sim 10.5 WB 73 TX
3w: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15/BRNR Mini Diamana D+Plus 80TX

5w: Paradym AI Smoke 18 Tensei Pro White 1k 90 TX
4i: Srixon ZX Mk II AD IZ 95x

5i: Srixon U85 Oban CT 125x

6-PW: Miura TC-201 Oban CT 125x

50/54/59: Cleveland RTX Zipcore DG S400

Putter: Jailbird 380 WH

The staff in the club areas can usually tell the tire kickers from actual customers and might just treat you accordingly.  It would be bad for to come on here with a complain thread about the attitude of the staff at the store you were tire kicking at.  All in all, it's to be expected.  But as others said, don't do it during busier times as the world is full of unknowns already.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

17 hours ago, ilikegolf26 said:

Is it poor etiquette to go to a Big Box store and hit clubs in the simulator without any intention of buying anything?

I generally think if you have absolutely no intention of buying anything it is bad etiquette.  The PGA Tour Superstores have hitting bays you can rent if you don’t want to buy anything.

• Like 2

If you try a club or two every so often because you're curious I don't think it's a big deal, especially if you buy something like some gloves, balls, or stuff you need. But if you spend like 2 hours trying everything just to try then bad form in my eyes. Most employees don't really care, managers is another story. 

3 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

Reality check: Big Box stores rarely have decent launch monitor stations for testing clubs.

Why don't you go to a golf-specialty retailer like Golf Galaxy, PGA Superstore...

Pretty sure that's what most people mean when talking about Big Box Stores in regards to golf. I don't think anyone believes Wal-Mart or Costco have a golf simulator set up to hit clubs. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

If you just bought a whole new bag and have zero intention of buying anything and are just using the bay as practice time, then that is inappropriate.

If you are checking out new equipment and just kicking the tires, even though you are unlikely to buy that day, then that is fair game. 

Ping G410 9* Alta CB
Ping G410 15* 3 Wood Alta CB
Ping G410 19* & 22* Hybrid Alta CB
Ping G 5-UW N.S. Pro Modus3 105
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 54*, 58*
Ping Anser Milled 0
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1378338-pkshooter-witb-2016-all-ping/"]WITB Link[/url]

Most of the time business' don't mind you using the equipment since you're building a connection to the store and will think of them the next time you're in the market for something. As long as it's not just for personal practice, I don't really see any issue with it. Sometimes it's good to get a feel for different types of equipment!

Retail stores will live on if they provide something more than a box of clubs and similar.  It's that simple.  If they can't offer that, they will eventually go out of business.

Local retail shops often do a much better job in ensuring you are correctly fit.  In addition, if the order is incorrect or you need warranty/repair done to the order from the OEM, you have a retailer you can work with (and it's required to work a business like that in most cases).  In addition, if you need future work done to the clubs, you've established a relationship with the retailer.

Remember... online sales is a turn and burn business model.  Once they get your money, they are typically done caring (unless the shipment is lost).  Sometimes there are better deals online but buyer beware, if it's really that much better there is probably something wrong.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

The guys at my golf galaxy are thrilled to talk to anyone . They know most guys are not buying, respect their time and go have fun

Edited by Carl Spackler3

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

If you're genuinely curious about the equipment then I say go for it, regardless of intention to buy. Although that can be a slippery slope if you hit the new club well enough ?

If you're just there to get some swings in to avoid paying for a bucket of balls at the range, I'd say it's bad form.

Callaway Paradym TD 10.5* @ 8.5*, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6X

Taylormade Sim Ti 3W, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7X

Callaway Apex UW 19*, LAGP Trono 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 4-5, MMT 105TX

Callaway Apex CB 6-11, MMT 105TX

Callaway JAWS Raw 54S/60X, MMT 105TX

Odyssey Eleven Tour Lined CS w/ Superstroke Tour 2.0

Chome Soft X

I agree with a lot of sentiments above.  If you are in the market, don't use a box to 'test drivers' then go buy them online to save a buck or two.  If you are that cheap, at least do the store a solid and buy some soft goods or something to give them some business.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

11 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

I thought PGA SuperStore and Golf Galaxy were big box stores....

Yes, it would be a  PGA Superstore.

1 hour ago, ilikegolf26 said:

I thought PGA SuperStore and Golf Galaxy were big box stores....

Yes, it would be a  PGA Superstore.

FWIW, my understanding of Big Box Store would be a store where golf is only a relatively small part of their sales floor - like a Dick's Sporting Goods. Most of the rest of the store might be sports related, but not necessarily.

PGATSS and Golf Galaxy are dedicated golf stores (although PGATSS sometimes(?) has a small tennis area)

Edited by nsxguy

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

7 hours ago, nsxguy said:

FWIW, my understanding of Big Box Store would be a store where golf is only a relatively small part of their sales floor - like a Dick's Sporting Goods. Most of the rest of the store might be sports related, but not necessarily.

PGATSS and Golf Galaxy are dedicated golf stores (although PGATSS sometimes(?) has a small tennis area)

The definition of big box is more based on the square footage footprint than anything. There are also two kinds of big box stores a) general and b) specialty. The square footage threshold is definitely up for debate, but most would consider the typical Golf Galaxy or PGA Superstore to qualify as a specialty big box (the typical high warehouse ceilings help).

• Like 2

Lets be real here.

The employees already know 90% of the people trying clubs in the bays are just there to mull around and not purchase. They get paid hourly, so you're not taking time out of their day really.

And theres also nothing wrong with going in to a store to hit the new clubs and being full aware you're not there to buy them. Golf, as we know, is all about preference and feel and how are you supposed to know if you like something without hitting it? Thats literally why you have the ability to do so.

I've purchased several clubs over the years out of the blue without the intention of replacing the old ones because the new one just flat out performed when hitting it.

I bet the people working these stores get just as many people who buy something that did on a whim - then that came with the intention to.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS