Payne's Valley Cup

Naptime

1 hour ago, Greg_B said:

That's because he still hasn't figured out how to relate to people very well, a product of his upbringing. A bit of a defective personality unfortunately, but he is still evolving.

Hicks, not Nantz. I cannot understand how people who watch golf cannot tell the difference but this happens constantly here and elsewhere.

It looks to be a typical resort course, impressive visually but wide open and with little rough or other challenges for the duffers. Don't confuse "good-looking course" with "good course". They are quite different.

Yeah kind of how Tiger said he designed it to be fun and forgiving for all different types of players but still be a test...

What constitutes a "good course"?  I think you take the PGA tour there for a 4 day tournament someone is shooting -30 at least.  So d you mean "good course" is a hard course?  Seems like a narrow minded comment...

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

23 minutes ago, kmay__ said:

Interesting to watch TW in these events (and all the TM club release videos), all he wants to know is what the other players are feeling in certain shots, what their clubs are like, always grabbing wedges and clubs from other players and giving them a wag, seems like hes a gear head for sure. When he asked Rosey before his bunker shot "you rotate through these kind of shots?" and also getting some details from Rose about using the 48" driver and what feels he needs in the swing to deliver the long club properly. He seems much more interested in gear and swing feels/thoughts than the match going on. (like when JT asked him for advice on a chip, and tw didnt even hear him cause he was swinging Rory's wedge on the other side of the green haha) 

Thats my favorite thing Tiger brings to these things.  He gets the other guys talking about their process (although they all did it).

New potential highlight is the video making the ways around with Rory talking about Dominos pizza.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Hahaha that was quite funny we were cracking up, the deluxe but with extra sausage ? Even millionaires still order Dominos. 

• Like 1

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

Enjoyed the event, Gary Player's rant was...something.

Azinger is falling into the Johnny Miller thing where he sees something happen in slow motion and says some nonsense to try and talk up (or talk down) the players, not really sure what his goal is, instead of understanding what is actually going on with the shot. 

The course looks like a blast to play, some of the camera angles gave a hint of the true elevation changes.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

Even in a promotional event, you can tell how out of wack Tiger’s driving is. Sure he was hitting fairways, but the shot on 1 was a nasty trouble cross and he had multiple tee balls where the spin was off the charts, way less distance and not pure strikes. Thomas and Rory are just brilliant off the tee. Tiger needs to get that drive dialed. It will “work” on a course like this where the fairways are a mile wide, but not at a majority of the courses they play on tour. He just does not look confident with that thing.

1 hour ago, Ronnie Mundt said:

Even in a promotional event, you can tell how out of wack Tiger’s driving is. Sure he was hitting fairways, but the shot on 1 was a nasty trouble cross and he had multiple tee balls where the spin was off the charts, way less distance and not pure strikes. Thomas and Rory are just brilliant off the tee. Tiger needs to get that drive dialed. It will “work” on a course like this where the fairways are a mile wide, but not at a majority of the courses they play on tour. He just does not look confident with that thing.

I was talking to my brother about this.  I don't get why he's hitting these 30+ yard cuts all the time.  I mean I can get the occasional fairway finder, but he's one of the best ball strikers on the planet, can't he hit a 5 yard fade, not a 30 yard one?  Seemed like a perfect opportunity to try to hit some draws or something.  Just don't see how a slice becomes your go to shot off the tee.

1 hour ago, J_Tizzle said:

I was talking to my brother about this.  I don't get why he's hitting these 30+ yard cuts all the time.  I mean I can get the occasional fairway finder, but he's one of the best ball strikers on the planet, can't he hit a 5 yard fade, not a 30 yard one?  Seemed like a perfect opportunity to try to hit some draws or something.  Just don't see how a slice becomes your go to shot off the tee.

He won the TC and Masters playing it, maybe it wasn't so drastic, but it's pretty clear he has confidence issues right now. I would like to see him hitting more high, straight bombs like JT. He hit a nice tight draw on the long drive hole, but I really think certain tee shots get in his head. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

Just now, Sean2 said:

While I enjoyed the golf, it sounded like one big commercial for Big Cedar Lodge, with some golf thrown in, lol. 

I agree 100% here. I enjoyed watching it, but it came off more as an infomercial than a competitive golf event. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

53 minutes ago, Naptime said:

Jack was limping noticeably, sad but inevitable I guess.  From the telecast it looked like you could toughen it up for a professional event.  But as a resort they don't need 6 hour rounds when guys hunt for lost balls etc.

For the first time in my life, I was ready for Nicklaus to jump in with a comment.  Thanks, Gary Player.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sean2 said:

While I enjoyed the golf, it sounded like one big commercial for Big Cedar Lodge, with some golf thrown in, lol. 

You are absolutely correct! This is a destination resort with a family theme. The owner wanted big name designers and it looks like he spared no expense. he didn't build his resort with PGATOUR events in mind.....Hunting, Fishing, Hiking, horse riding, Spas and golf down the list....

I enjoyed some of the views more than the golf.....visually fantastic!....IMO

Edited by Titleist99
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

I cannot wait to get on that course.  Tried to get a time 3 weeks ago and everything decent was booked on the weekends, now the website is just down in general.  It looks great, I've seen it slowly come together playing the Buffalo Ridge course across the valley.  It looks out of this world.

I think we can all agree, ANY of these mic'd up charity things needs JT included.  He is an absolute riot to listen to, he's needling guys, but not too mean, but mean enough.  It's perfect.  Plus I think I saw Riggs from Barstool there (checked his Instagram, he has an interview with Jack coming up) as well as the guys from Dude Perfect (who have done a lot of stuff with Bass Pro Shops). 

These courses are truly something else.  I've played Buffalo Ridge which is an excellent course (more traditional looking than Tigers) and Top of the Rock (par 3 course designed by Jack where they used to have a Champions Tour event), and I know they had the Missouri Am at Ozarks National (Core & Crenshaw design), and the Missouri Par 3 event at Jack and Gary's course (which I'd be remised to fail to mention our own BR61 won the sr division).  I typically hate Azinger, while I don't necessarily know if its a "bucket list" kind o thing, I'd think it would make an absolute blast for a guys golf trip for sure.

I really love that area and playing Jack's Top of Rock and Gary's Par 3 Mountain Top course, I had a blast playing Gary's course after never playing it previously. I'll go back in a month or so to play Payne's Valley and Ozark National that I have yet to play.

Buffalo Ridge also is a fun course to play. It is hard to believe how much the Big Cedar area has changed in past 10 years or so.

Those guys were fun to watch yesterday.

• Like 2

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Max 7 wood

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey Ai-One #7 Broomstick 46"

32 minutes ago, TheMoneyShot said:

If you ever go, ill meet you there.

I live just 80 miles away!

It is hard to believe that it is almost 10 years since our TM Kingdom trip.

Edited by br61
  • Like 1

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Max 7 wood

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey Ai-One #7 Broomstick 46"

Out of the 3 charity events I would say this was easily the best. The one at Medalist probably still has the highlight with Brady's rip back hole-out but he was playing so bad otherwise to remove a lot of interest (although the bad play certainly amplified the hole-out). The one at Seminole was such a snooze. It's not good when Rory is the loquacious one of the foursome. Tiger is gonna be Tiger and not put too much out there but it's great to hear him going to get advice from other golfers on equipment or technique like us hacks would. They were also smart in giving a faint Ryder Cup matchup to keep the players fully engaged. The highlight person through these though has been JT. His commentary has kept it nice and loose and extremely watchable. He makes the whole match seem so relatable to the weekend golfers. I'm hoping Jordan Spieth gets his game going since it would be great to see him against JT. We all know how much Jordan talks during a tour event and I'm sure he and JT would be going back and forth the whole round. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Black 6x
Titleist TSR2 15* Ventus Blue 7x
Titleist 818H1 21* Graphite Design AD-DI 105x

Titleist T100S 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 48-10 F Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 54-12 D Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist Vokey SM9 60-08 M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

TaylorMade Spider GT
WITB Link

31 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

You are absolutely correct! This is a destination resort with a family theme. The owner wanted big name designers and it looks like he spared no expense. he didn't build his resort with PGATOUR events in mind.....Hunting, Fishing, Hiking, horse riding, Spas and golf down the list....

I enjoyed some of the views more than the golf.....visually fantastic!....IMO

agreed.  visually its stunning.  It almost didn't look real, lol. And I really like Tiger's mantra about making things playable for all skill levels.  He's a smart guy so I bet that course is really fun to play if you're not like a plus handicapper.  

Edited by chigolfer1

3 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

Tiger says hitting high draws puts pressure on his back. He only does it when he really needs it. He says he is content hitting 290 yard fades. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

3 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

I often wonder why they don't just hit it straight more often. It seems like he tries to hit a significant draw or fade on every shot.

53 minutes ago, TheMoneyShot said:

If you ever go, ill meet you there.

You bet!

• Like 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

8 minutes ago, chigolfer1 said:

agreed.  visually its stunning.  It almost didn't look real, lol. And I really like Tiger's mantra about making things playable for all skill levels.  He's a smart guy so I bet that course is really fun to play if you're not like a plus handicapper.  

I'm just not seeing it. It looks very pretty and a great setting, but the course itself just looked ok. Definitely better than your average track because of the elevations and conditioning, but nothing that would make me want to take a trip there to play.

• Like 1

Just now, Lark said:

I'm just not seeing it. It looks very pretty and a great setting, but the course itself just looked ok. Definitely better than your average track because of the elevations and conditioning, but nothing that would make me want to take a trip there to play.

That's why I said for the non plus handicaper.  Maybe I should have just said low handicapper. 

23 minutes ago, br61 said:

I live just 80 miles away!

It is hard to believe that it is almost 10 years since our TM Kingdom trip.

I was thinking about that!  How much equipment have we all had since then @TheMoneyShot?  LOL 

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

3 minutes ago, Lark said:

I often wonder why they don't just hit it straight more often. It seems like he tries to hit a significant draw or fade on every shot.

I think he does so because when he was tearing the tour apart, you had to shape your shots both ways to be the best player in the world.  That's the game he knows, and that's the game he enjoys.  

• Like 1