Taylormade SIM 2.0

TRC723

3 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Sim ti was 180cc. Sim2 ti is 170cc. I can't remember what m5 was. 17m2 is 157cc.

my bad, should've read few posts down farther before replying to see everyone else took care of answering that

Edited by rochestergolfer36
  • Like 1

I briefly hit SIM 2, SIM MAX 2, and the SIM 2 Hybrid.

I’m going to hit the drivers a couple more times, but first impression wasn’t great.  Now that said, SIM was my favorite driver in VERY long time, so it was going to take something special to knock it out of the bag.  First session showed no real improvement.  SIM MAX 2 was a bit more forgiving, and spin was still pretty good, so that was a pleasant surprise.  Still, current SIM is a great driver for me.

NOW....THAT HYBRID THOUGH!!!!!  I hit the 19.5 with the AV Blue X.  Fantastic.  Everything I wanted in a hybrid.  Loved the SIM MAX, but this is a bit flatter, and more compact while still looking confidence inspiring. Great feel, great ballflight, minimizes the left miss.  It’s going in the bag, now it’s just a matter of shafts.....

I’m interested in the RDX Black shaft, and I know I read that all the RDXs are “real deal”, but they aren’t on PX’s website, so I’m a bit skeptical.  

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

1 hour ago, Hougz79 said:

I’m going to hit the drivers a couple more times, but first impression wasn’t great.  Now that said, SIM was my favorite driver in VERY long time, so it was going to take something special to knock it out of the bag.  First session showed no real improvement.  SIM MAX 2 was a bit more forgiving, and spin was still pretty good, so that was a pleasant surprise.  Still, current SIM is a great driver for me.

NOW....THAT HYBRID THOUGH!!!!!  I hit the 19.5 with the AV Blue X.  Fantastic.  Everything I wanted in a hybrid.  Loved the SIM MAX, but this is a bit flatter, and more compact while still looking confidence inspiring. Great feel, great ballflight, minimizes the left miss.  It’s going in the bag, now it’s just a matter of shafts.....

I’m interested in the RDX Black shaft, and I know I read that all the RDXs are “real deal”, but they aren’t on PX’s website, so I’m a bit skeptical.  

That hybrid looks great, gotta get my hands on one. 

As for “real deal” shafts, does anyone have a list of all of them for this release? As I’m going through all the options I feel like it’s almost a crapshoot without looking each one up and reading endless posts. 

Ping G425 10.5* - Aldila Rogue White 

TM Sim Max 15* - Fuji Ventus Blue

TM GAPR Lo 19* - KBS Hybrid Proto

TM P790 4-6 - Nippon 105

TM P770 7-AW - Nippon 105

TM MG 54* & 58* - Dynamic Gold

TM Spider X Flow Neck Hydroblast

Titleist -ProV1x

Good news is looks like real Ventus Blue Hybrid is only a $105 up charge, that’s honestly not bad at all.

• Like 1

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

2 hours ago, Hougz79 said:

If the SIM2 Max was more forgiving and spin was good, isn't that an improvement from a playability standpoint over your SIM? Or are you assigning value to that type of improvement and saying it's not worth the $$$ to you? And that's totally fair if that's what you mean. Just looking for clarity since it sounded like there was improvement, even though your first impression seemed to not be great. (I ask this with complete sincerity and no snark).

A contact I have who is close to the Tour staff said that this has been one of the easiest switches ever and that most of the players are commenting on the increased forgiveness and consistency with SIM2. But they're getting paid to play the equipment and you and I need to determine if that type of difference is enough to justify spending our money.

I'm not sure yet how I'll value a little extra forgiveness. I hope to find out Friday when I get a chance to hit them.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9.0, Ventus TR Blue 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade 300 Mini Blackout 13.5, Ventus Black 7X, 43"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), Ventus TR Red 7X, 42.5"

TaylorMade P770 3 (2023), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG Raw 52, DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T, DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2024)

My WITB Post

11 minutes ago, jll62 said:

If the SIM2 Max was more forgiving and spin was good, isn't that an improvement from a playability standpoint over your SIM? Or are you assigning value to that type of improvement and saying it's not worth the $$$ to you? And that's totally fair if that's what you mean. Just looking for clarity since it sounded like there was improvement, even though your first impression seemed to not be great. (I ask this with complete sincerity and no snark).

A contact I have who is close to the Tour staff said that this has been one of the easiest switches ever and that most of the players are commenting on the increased forgiveness and consistency with SIM2. But they're getting paid to play the equipment and you and I need to determine if that type of difference is enough to justify spending our money.

I'm not sure yet how I'll value a little extra forgiveness. I hope to find out Friday when I get a chance to hit them.

Admittedly my swing wasn’t where I wanted it today for a myriad of reasons due to not swinging for over a month due to MN winter, work stress, and lack of sleep.

That said, I guess I mean to say that the MAX initially is more of an option than it was last year (and might be the winner).  Last year’s MAX didn’t fit me, and the current SIM was a great driver for me last year.  But perhaps this year the SIM Max might be an option. I need more sessions with both to truly evaluate as my swing comes back with a couple of sessions.   More testing to follow.  It’s not that the new stuff was bad; it’s more of the old/current stuff for me was very good.  

I did start my session testing the hybrid as that was my priority and I can say that was exactly what I wanted to see.  I went in looking for a new hybrid and a “a hell, let’s hit the new drivers” mentality.  In the next few days I’ll give the drivers a more thorough test.  

Edited by Hougz79
  • Like 1

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

16 hours ago, ignitewvu said:

M5 was 160cc in the 3 wood & will likely remain safely in the bag another summer.  It launcher high, Goes far, & rarely strays off course.

I really like mine but two things -

I skied it badly and its hard to look at.

It always seems to take me a while to get the club settled on the ground before I hit it. 

16 hours ago, getitdaily said:

I am getting another of my gamer shaft setup with an adapter soon. I play the 17m2. I plan to compare 17m2 to m5 and sim2 very soon to see if my trusty 17m2 will be replaced. 

My m5 replaced my Tour issue M2 Tour, it was just better off the deck, the M2 was amazing off the tee.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

3 minutes ago, scott_Donald said:

I really like mine but two things -

I skied it badly and its hard to look at.

It always seems to take me a while to get the club settled on the ground before I hit it. 

My m5 replaced my Tour issue M2 Tour, it was just better off the deck, the M2 was amazing off the tee.

I've hit m5 and sim but not with my gamer shaft. M5 and sim launched higher (could have been shaft). 

Was lucky enough to get ahold of an 8* Sim2 head. After 5 minutes on a GCQuad, it’s a winner. Going straight in the bag. Gamed a tour issue Sim last year and struggled at times with misses right, not the case with the SIM2. Feels good all across the face, increased ball speed and launch. Playing Saturday so we’ll see how it performs in the real world.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hougz79 said:

Did you hit the sim 2 and sim 2 max hybrids?  Liking the look of the sim hybrid not max and curious how forgiveness was with it being a smaller head? 

Edited by ebomb

I didn’t hit the MAX 2 hybrid; just the SIM 2 adjustable one.  I was pleased with the forgiveness and feel.  I reminds me of something kind of in between the 818 H1 and H2.  For me it’s the perfect sweet spot.

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

9 hours ago, Hougz79 said:

Good news is looks like real Ventus Blue Hybrid is only a $105 up charge, that’s honestly not bad at all.

The retail upcharge is 150.00

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

On 1/18/2021 at 11:47 PM, noodle3872 said:

Just built one with my favourite colors and preferred shaft....

C2E14211-9AF0-430E-A18E-44AC8D0E6B9F.png

CD934F70-E6A8-4241-9B3D-4235CE643817.png

2C05DC54-49C3-432F-865B-55D7BB46DFF1.png

054A619A-C962-4288-A057-1F4B95A76D6A.png

21FB3CE0-6C1A-4424-A355-42DA898788F1.png

Holy crap... No thanks.  Oh and your 3 wood won't match, if that matters.  Why not just give us a black version like they did years ago with the r1?!

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

18 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

I think the biggest improvement from previous gens including SIM to SIM 2 is that the 2 face screws are now on the side so that may possibly explain why the face is hotter especially low & seeing the ball speed up so much in MN's video 👍

Very interesting, have to demo this.

I would think that, if anything, the face would be more dead on the bottom BECAUSE of the goo being right there... No rebound effect.  

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

52 minutes ago, taylorx300 said:

The retail upcharge is 150.00

2123C112-94C9-4EC5-841F-60909790BD01.png

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

I know there is always the aftermarket weight route...but I wonder if you could order the SIM2 / Max with its counterpart's weight setup? I'm imagining things like an 8 degree SIM2 head with some added forgiveness with the 24g weight in the back, or the larger more forgiving SIM2 max face with more weight up front....

4 hours ago, bogeypro said:

I would think that, if anything, the face would be more dead on the bottom BECAUSE of the goo being right there... No rebound effect.  

Both faces have the goo. To me, the old face with the 2 screws on the lower corner may have an effect on the face rebound and hotness when impacts are low. Now with both screws removed and on the side, the whole face on the SIM2 is now one cohesive unit to rebound and flex. That's my 2c...

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

5 hours ago, Tre4ISU said:

There's an online retailer that will have a vast number of options and the upcharges are small on premium stuff. 

Im not seeing any upcharge on Ventus w velocore at big box online retailer.  

Edited by Avidswampthing66
  • Like 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

Looks like real Black and Blue Ventus are no up charge.  I’m guessing it’s part of the limited time offer through this weekend.  Probably why the hybrid real Ventus is less currently as well.

• Like 1

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

I might give this a try to see. If anything I can come out ahead with two shafts and sell the heads 

• Like 3

G430 Max 10K 9* w/Tensei Orange 1K 70TX

BRNR Mini 13.5* w/Tensei Pro White 70TX
TSr3 18* w/Tensei AV Raw White 85TX 2.0

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW w/MMT 125TX

W/S Forged 50* w/DG S400

Mg4 56*, 60* w/DG S400

Spider S
TP5X 24'

1 hour ago, ksavy17 said:

I might give this a try to see. If anything I can come out ahead with two shafts and sell the heads 

Same here!  Just cant pass that up.  First time ever buying a (new)driver online.....here...we....goooooo.

• Like 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X