Golf equipment is getting too expensive...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's only expensive if you decide to make it expensive.   If you need to have the latest and greatest, then yeah it's gonna hit you in the wallet.   If you're fine with trying mult

If you think Putters are overpriced...what about their headcovers?  Would you pay $500 for a Hula Girl Embroidered on a piece of leather?

Maybe it's just me, but I think new golf equipment prices are getting out of control.   With the introduction of PXG, then PING Blueprint, P7TW, and now both new Callaway releases, are we of

Don’t buy brand new release equipment. Example: Cobra released the SZ driver. I picked up a brand new F9 driver for $250. They are essentially the same driver with performance characteristics nearly indistinguishable.

also, for iron sets, try looking at Direct To Consumer brands like BenHoganGolf. Great irons at grea price!! Even greater price used on eBay.

If it goes right, it's a slice. If it goes left, it's a hook. If it goes straight, it's a miracle.

Im still playing G400’s though I did put Steelfiber shafts in them. I got them cheap on eBay because they were an odd color so I sent them to Ping to get bent and freshened up. A few weeks ago I got a current year Bettinardi putter that retails for $450 for $160. It had been cut down to 32” so I had to extend it. 

Both of these purchases had very little action because they were not the standard, common build. If you’re willing to do some club work (or have it done) you can save a lot. If you see a set that has XX stiff or senior flex you may be able to get them cheap. Then find a set of used shafts and switch them out. 

I get all my clubs and cars preowned.

• Like 2

Ping G410 Tour AD DI6

Ping G30 3W

Ping G30 5W

Ben Hogan VKTR Hybrid

Ping G400 5-SW Steelfiber i95

Ping Glide LW

Scotty Cameron Fastback or

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I agree and it’s filtered through to the second hand market definitely in theUK. I used to buy second hand sets of forged blades for about £250 gbp which were always like new. I wasn’t one for selling on I used to give them away I have two old sets of blades at the moment. Mizuno mp37 and Nike Tiger Woods blades I couldn’t believe the price these are currently going for! Also it’s probably been mentioned a full set was 3 to SW when I started it’s now 5 to PW. Realistically the 5 iron was the old 3 iron and you just end up with a bag of wedges kidding yourself you hit it further! Yes I am now become my father and hear myself saying in my day 🤣

Golf equipment marketing is closely tied to professional endorsers on every major and minor tour as well as collegiate teams. I wonder how much of the price of each club goes to paying the pros and universities. A new driver is $400 - $500, irons are $850+ and oem putters now start at $200. While inflation surely plays into the price, marketing mostly to affluent men and women who aspire to play like their favorite pro golfer may have even more to do with pricing.

If the supply and demand argument holds true, especially post COVID-19, bikes would now Cost more $1k each since they have been in short supply since last spring. However, that is not the case and 2021 models can be had for similar prices as 2020 models. Bike manufacturers clearly do not have to pay big bucks for endorsements.

I Usually buy prior year models and save big.

Tariffs on overseas manufacturing. 95% + of Golf equipment  is made in China. As a result the cost for landed components has gone up and that translates to higher costs at retail. 
PXG showed that people will pay a premium for golf equipment. 
Club Ho’s...... nuff said. 

11 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

There could be an interesting side effect.....

In the 90s and early 2000s, component clubs were a viable alternative to OEM purchases, with price being a not insignificant player in the decision for many.  I'm not talking about the clones, but the product found at GolfWorks, Golfsmith, Dynacraft/Hireko, the artist formerly known as SMT, and so on.  

A fair number of the advances in clubs came from the component world.  400cc and up drivers being a notable mention.  Carl Wolter, anyone?

The acceleration of product cycles in the OEM world, and the resulting effect on the used club market, reduced the component allure for many.  Especially for those entrenched in the Club Ho world.  Now, with prices rising as they are, component options are looking more attractive than they were a dozen years ago.

Personally, I've picked up a few wedges from GolfWorks, a couple from Hireko, and even built a Pinhawk SL set for myself just to see what it was about.  

It also doesn't hurt that the new gear doesn't catch my interest all that much.  😉

That last line says it for me too--- I guess that is why we play the classic stuff

• Like 4

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400 LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400 Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

13 hours ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

It's only expensive if you decide to make it expensive.

If you need to have the latest and greatest, then yeah it's gonna hit you in the wallet.

If you're fine with trying multiple OEMs and you don't feel the need to upgrade your bag every year, then it's not expensive at all.

If you're fine with buying used, it's even less expensive when you take a minute or two to shop around for deals.

No one said you needed to rush out and buy new top end clubs the second they hit the shelves.

How would you do this if you wanted to get properly fit?

4 hours ago, miamistomp said:

I remember when I started driving in 1968 gas was 32 cents and a Coke was a nickel

3 fingers of Mexican Brown was $10

A wilson Staff ball was about $1.25 in the pro shop

Funny but true bet there ain't 5 people on here that knows what Mexican Brown is

• Like 3

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400 LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400 Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

21 hours ago, tgoodspe1991 said:

Maybe it's just me, but I think new golf equipment prices are getting out of control.

With the introduction of PXG, then PING Blueprint, P7TW, and now both new Callaway releases, are we officially in an era where $200+ per iron is the new normal? Are next-gen drivers going to break that $600 mark?

I'm still young, but even I remember a time not too long ago when buying a $200 Scotty Cameron was a big purchase and the idea of spending over $999 for a 3-PW iron set was ludicrous. Now $1K will get you 75% of the iron set and $200 is a tight used putter budget. This doesn't even factor in the cost of getting fit and the world of aftermarket shafts.

I know I know, inflation, demand, marketing budgets, blah blah. I also know that nobody is forcing me to spend money, etc. I also know one person's "expensive" is another person's "cheap" and another person's "impossible." For me, it's not a question of affordability, but the value just isn't there anymore and it's not worth it. It kills all my desire to try new equipment and I fear for what it's going to be like in 5 years.

I guess this is one way to stop a true club-ho! So maybe it's not all bad... 😆

/rant

Simply, people pay it. 

• Like 1

70% of shooting low scores is swing technique/ball striking.

29% of shooting low scores is mental game including routine, choosing lines of play,  and club selection

1% of shooting low scores is equipment.

I think any player who has equipment produced during the last 20 years is fine.

• Like 2

I just put together a complete bag over the weekend 

Cally Rogue sub zero driver $150

mizuno jpx 900 ironset 399$

odyseey 2 ball putter 50$

cleveland cbx wedges 54 58 120$

700$ for a very solid bag eveything in very good condition .

this stuff is only a few years old.

Saw some guy this weekend in Roger Dunn drop 3000k On all brand new TaylorMade gear. 

• Like 1

A couple of months ago I got back into playing golf after a 15 year hiatus. I still have my old Golfsmith Tour Model 4 irons, and they still hit the ball decent, so since I lost some distance due to being 66 years old I got rid of my hard to hit 3,4,5,and 6 irons and replaced them with 3,4,and 5 Adams Golf hybrids from the early to mid-2000s. Got them on eBay for less than $30 each. Also picked up a Cleveland Launcher 3W for $25 which I use as my driver, and a couple of weeks back I got a great putter - an Otey Crisman blade putter with a hickory shaft for $16! I also have a set of 3 Dynacraft wedges which I built back in the early 2000s. I also have an old Ginty trouble wood which has never let me down in the rough. My set is now complete. 3W, 5W (I built myself back in the day), Ginty, 3H, 4H, 5H, 7,8,9,PW, 52, 56, 60 wedges, Otey Crisman putter.

You can find some great deals on eBay for older clubs which still play great! I'm retired and on SS so for me it's inexpensive older clubs.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, SoCalTitleist said:

I just put together a complete bag over the weekend 

Cally Rogue sub zero driver $150

mizuno jpx 900 ironset 399$

odyseey 2 ball putter 50$

cleveland cbx wedges 54 58 120$

700$ for a very solid bag eveything in very good condition .

this stuff is only a few years old.

Saw some guy this weekend in Roger Dunn drop 3000k On all brand new TaylorMade gear. 

where are the fairways/hybrids?

Lead Tape lovingly applied - Driver through GW
TEE EXS +1* to 11.5* - Testing at 43.5" w/ Matrix 7M3 stiff untipped
TEE XCG7 Beta 4W 16.5* - Matrix 8M2 Stiff
TEE XCG7 Beta 22*H - 2020 Aldila Rogue Black 85H TS
TEE XCG7 Beta 25*H - Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft stiff 
Wishon 560MC's 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) at -1/2" length KBS Tour C-Taper Lite R
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56 and 60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

Some people like to try out the latest and greatest.  Newest phone, leased cars in addition to whatever your favorite golf brand came out with this year.  Inflation does come into play, and the major brands know that a good portion of their target market is not paycheck-to-paycheck and has more disposable income now than they did 10 or 20 years ago.  Studies have shown that the rush women get from shopping is similar to the effects of some drugs.   I imagine its the same for golfers and the latest driver.  But that rush goes away, so next year we have to buy another one to get that rush again. 

The flip side is those of us (myself included) who enjoy surfing the 'bay or the classifieds here to look for stuff we wanted to try when it came out but refused to give up our right arm/firstborn/soul for it.  Most of my bag was at least 1 model behind when I acquired them at a discounted price:  MP54s 2 years after they came out.  818H2 in late 2019.  Wedgeworks SM7 during the covid lockdown.  A barely-used TS4 that I found at a Play-It-Again-Sports around the corner, half off its original price (final cost $100 after trading in some wedges and a 913 driver).  Every time I crush that TS4, I relive that rush when I remember how little it cost me.  LOL.

While every generation does come with at least some incremental advantages, its rare that this year's model really does have a game-changing technological leap.  Assuming that you are fit well to your sticks, I imagine most golfers would do just fine with last years model or one from several generations ago.

But if we are just talking about pricing levels, that is just a question of supply and demand.  If no one buys any new drivers, all the brands will have to lower their prices.  But we all know that's not going to happen, and Ping/TM/Callaway/Titleist aren't going to voluntarily cut their profits....

Edited by hagimihale
4 hours ago, Robert L. said:

A couple of months ago I got back into playing golf after a 15 year hiatus. I still have my old Golfsmith Tour Model 4 irons, and they still hit the ball decent, so since I lost some distance due to being 66 years old I got rid of my hard to hit 3,4,5,and 6 irons and replaced them with 3,4,and 5 Adams Golf hybrids from the early to mid-2000s. Got them on eBay for less than $30 each. Also picked up a Cleveland Launcher 3W for $25 which I use as my driver, and a couple of weeks back I got a great putter - an Otey Crisman blade putter with a hickory shaft for $16! I also have a set of 3 Dynacraft wedges which I built back in the early 2000s. I also have an old Ginty trouble wood which has never let me down in the rough. My set is now complete. 3W, 5W (I built myself back in the day), Ginty, 3H, 4H, 5H, 7,8,9,PW, 52, 56, 60 wedges, Otey Crisman putter.

You can find some great deals on eBay for older clubs which still play great! I'm retired and on SS so for me it's inexpensive older clubs.

I will say you are one smart cookie--- You know what equipment will work for your game and you adapted stuff to fit your game now. I have had to revamp my equipment and game too as I aged. And you are also smart enough to know it does not have to be the latest greatest whiz bang thing to enjoy the game

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

70% of shooting low scores is swing technique/ball striking.

29% of shooting low scores is mental game including routine, choosing lines of play,  and club selection

1% of shooting low scores is equipment.

I think any player who has equipment produced during the last 20 years is fine.

Shoot some of us play and score just fine with equipment older than 20 years

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Golf64 said:

Now that the new Titleist drivers are out, can't believe the price?! With taxes, $850 here in Canada! No thanks!

How did you come up with that number?  I'm from Vancouver and even at my most conservative calculations it shouldn't cost more than $700 ($600 Driver + 12% in GST and PST (for BC) = $672))

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

13 hours ago, leekgolf said:

How would you do this if you wanted to get properly fit?

Like I said above, if you want the latest and greatest and want to be fit, then yes there's a cost... usually. Or one could pay for a fitting then find a used set that matches specs, or pay to have loft & lie bent to work for them.

There's always a way to do something within one's budget. If someone has $3k and wants to spend that, then that's fine. But for far many more of us, there are plenty of economical ways to get things done, and properly at that.

Edited to add: I presume that if someone is getting fit, they're going to use those clubs for quite some time since they're being fit to them as closely as possible. So there's plenty of value in holding onto those clubs for years, which could end up costing just the same as constantly buying & selling at depreciated value. If you're someone who has the need to get fit every year or two, complaining about costs isn't going to engender much sympathy since you're purely doing it out of personal choice.

Edited by xkilgorextroutx
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Funny but true bet there ain't 5 people on here that knows what Mexican Brown is

I do. But I was a LEO for 30 years in SoCal. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ping G410 Tour AD DI6

Ping G30 3W

Ping G30 5W

Ben Hogan VKTR Hybrid

Ping G400 5-SW Steelfiber i95

Ping Glide LW

Scotty Cameron Fastback or

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

16 hours ago, pinhigh27 said:

Nothing renders the SIM obsolete and your sentiment that you can't play a sim for multiple years is laughable 

He's acting like the driver won't work if you use it when a new one comes out. 

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

17 hours ago, forrester_fire said:

In 1990 the median price of a new car was around $15k.  Today it's $37k.  Prices on everything have gone up over the years; it's called "inflation".

Right and by that same comparison...Golf has gone up waaaaaaay less than that

You could make the argument that factoring in inflation golf clubs are cheaper now

Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Ping G410 LST 13 w/Ping Tour 75
Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Prototype 85
Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
Titleist Vokey SM8 60 M grind

Deschamps Blade 375g

I am on a budget with three daughters and generally only buy component clubs from Hireko or Monark. My driver is a Macgregor 15 years old that I hit plenty fine, I just changed out the shaft for a $15 one on sale. My iron heads were $15 and are a soft cast blade that feels very soft at impact but with a little click. I honestly think it feels better than many blades I've played. I have Apollo $5 shaft in my irons and they feel like my old X100's but they are much lighter and kick more as I've tipped them to SX. All in all my current setup of my clubs have set me back around $275. I have spent maybe an additional $200 because I am trying different things to see what I like by buying partial sets and heads to try them out. Whatever I don't use I have just give away to the local caddies at my home course or to my golfing buddy who has just started playing golf. 

Edited by chipa
  • Like 3

Macgregor M-38 9.5 - Mondeo 5w - Heater BMT-3 4i - Acer XV Tour 5i-9i, G, S - Maltby LW - Bionik 105