Golf equipment is getting too expensive...

tgoodspe1991

Don’t buy brand new release equipment. Example: Cobra released the SZ driver. I picked up a brand new F9 driver for $250. They are essentially the same driver with performance characteristics nearly indistinguishable.

also, for iron sets, try looking at Direct To Consumer brands like BenHoganGolf. Great irons at grea price!! Even greater price used on eBay.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

Im still playing G400’s though I did put Steelfiber shafts in them. I got them cheap on eBay because they were an odd color so I sent them to Ping to get bent and freshened up. A few weeks ago I got a current year Bettinardi putter that retails for $450 for $160. It had been cut down to 32” so I had to extend it. 

Both of these purchases had very little action because they were not the standard, common build. If you’re willing to do some club work (or have it done) you can save a lot. If you see a set that has XX stiff or senior flex you may be able to get them cheap. Then find a set of used shafts and switch them out. 

I get all my clubs and cars preowned.

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I agree and it’s filtered through to the second hand market definitely in theUK. I used to buy second hand sets of forged blades for about £250 gbp which were always like new. I wasn’t one for selling on I used to give them away I have two old sets of blades at the moment. Mizuno mp37 and Nike Tiger Woods blades I couldn’t believe the price these are currently going for! Also it’s probably been mentioned a full set was 3 to SW when I started it’s now 5 to PW. Realistically the 5 iron was the old 3 iron and you just end up with a bag of wedges kidding yourself you hit it further! Yes I am now become my father and hear myself saying in my day 🤣

Golf equipment marketing is closely tied to professional endorsers on every major and minor tour as well as collegiate teams. I wonder how much of the price of each club goes to paying the pros and universities. A new driver is $400 - $500, irons are $850+ and oem putters now start at $200. While inflation surely plays into the price, marketing mostly to affluent men and women who aspire to play like their favorite pro golfer may have even more to do with pricing.

If the supply and demand argument holds true, especially post COVID-19, bikes would now Cost more $1k each since they have been in short supply since last spring. However, that is not the case and 2021 models can be had for similar prices as 2020 models. Bike manufacturers clearly do not have to pay big bucks for endorsements.

I Usually buy prior year models and save big.

11 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

There could be an interesting side effect.....

In the 90s and early 2000s, component clubs were a viable alternative to OEM purchases, with price being a not insignificant player in the decision for many.  I'm not talking about the clones, but the product found at GolfWorks, Golfsmith, Dynacraft/Hireko, the artist formerly known as SMT, and so on.  

A fair number of the advances in clubs came from the component world.  400cc and up drivers being a notable mention.  Carl Wolter, anyone?

The acceleration of product cycles in the OEM world, and the resulting effect on the used club market, reduced the component allure for many.  Especially for those entrenched in the Club Ho world.  Now, with prices rising as they are, component options are looking more attractive than they were a dozen years ago.

Personally, I've picked up a few wedges from GolfWorks, a couple from Hireko, and even built a Pinhawk SL set for myself just to see what it was about.  

It also doesn't hurt that the new gear doesn't catch my interest all that much.  😉

That last line says it for me too--- I guess that is why we play the classic stuff

• Like 4

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

13 hours ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

It's only expensive if you decide to make it expensive.

If you need to have the latest and greatest, then yeah it's gonna hit you in the wallet.

If you're fine with trying multiple OEMs and you don't feel the need to upgrade your bag every year, then it's not expensive at all.

If you're fine with buying used, it's even less expensive when you take a minute or two to shop around for deals.

No one said you needed to rush out and buy new top end clubs the second they hit the shelves.

How would you do this if you wanted to get properly fit?

4 hours ago, miamistomp said:

I remember when I started driving in 1968 gas was 32 cents and a Coke was a nickel

3 fingers of Mexican Brown was $10

A wilson Staff ball was about $1.25 in the pro shop

Funny but true bet there ain't 5 people on here that knows what Mexican Brown is

• Like 3

21 hours ago, tgoodspe1991 said:

Maybe it's just me, but I think new golf equipment prices are getting out of control.

With the introduction of PXG, then PING Blueprint, P7TW, and now both new Callaway releases, are we officially in an era where $200+ per iron is the new normal? Are next-gen drivers going to break that $600 mark?

I'm still young, but even I remember a time not too long ago when buying a $200 Scotty Cameron was a big purchase and the idea of spending over $999 for a 3-PW iron set was ludicrous. Now $1K will get you 75% of the iron set and $200 is a tight used putter budget. This doesn't even factor in the cost of getting fit and the world of aftermarket shafts.

I know I know, inflation, demand, marketing budgets, blah blah. I also know that nobody is forcing me to spend money, etc. I also know one person's "expensive" is another person's "cheap" and another person's "impossible." For me, it's not a question of affordability, but the value just isn't there anymore and it's not worth it. It kills all my desire to try new equipment and I fear for what it's going to be like in 5 years.

I guess this is one way to stop a true club-ho! So maybe it's not all bad... 😆

/rant

Simply, people pay it. 

• Like 1

70% of shooting low scores is swing technique/ball striking.

29% of shooting low scores is mental game including routine, choosing lines of play,  and club selection

1% of shooting low scores is equipment.

I think any player who has equipment produced during the last 20 years is fine.

• Like 2

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I just put together a complete bag over the weekend 

Cally Rogue sub zero driver $150

mizuno jpx 900 ironset 399$

odyseey 2 ball putter 50$

cleveland cbx wedges 54 58 120$

700$ for a very solid bag eveything in very good condition .

this stuff is only a few years old.

Saw some guy this weekend in Roger Dunn drop 3000k On all brand new TaylorMade gear. 

• Like 1

A couple of months ago I got back into playing golf after a 15 year hiatus. I still have my old Golfsmith Tour Model 4 irons, and they still hit the ball decent, so since I lost some distance due to being 66 years old I got rid of my hard to hit 3,4,5,and 6 irons and replaced them with 3,4,and 5 Adams Golf hybrids from the early to mid-2000s. Got them on eBay for less than $30 each. Also picked up a Cleveland Launcher 3W for $25 which I use as my driver, and a couple of weeks back I got a great putter - an Otey Crisman blade putter with a hickory shaft for $16! I also have a set of 3 Dynacraft wedges which I built back in the early 2000s. I also have an old Ginty trouble wood which has never let me down in the rough. My set is now complete. 3W, 5W (I built myself back in the day), Ginty, 3H, 4H, 5H, 7,8,9,PW, 52, 56, 60 wedges, Otey Crisman putter.

You can find some great deals on eBay for older clubs which still play great! I'm retired and on SS so for me it's inexpensive older clubs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SoCalTitleist said:

I just put together a complete bag over the weekend 

Cally Rogue sub zero driver $150

mizuno jpx 900 ironset 399$

odyseey 2 ball putter 50$

cleveland cbx wedges 54 58 120$

700$ for a very solid bag eveything in very good condition .

this stuff is only a few years old.

Saw some guy this weekend in Roger Dunn drop 3000k On all brand new TaylorMade gear. 

where are the fairways/hybrids?

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Some people like to try out the latest and greatest.  Newest phone, leased cars in addition to whatever your favorite golf brand came out with this year.  Inflation does come into play, and the major brands know that a good portion of their target market is not paycheck-to-paycheck and has more disposable income now than they did 10 or 20 years ago.  Studies have shown that the rush women get from shopping is similar to the effects of some drugs.   I imagine its the same for golfers and the latest driver.  But that rush goes away, so next year we have to buy another one to get that rush again. 

The flip side is those of us (myself included) who enjoy surfing the 'bay or the classifieds here to look for stuff we wanted to try when it came out but refused to give up our right arm/firstborn/soul for it.  Most of my bag was at least 1 model behind when I acquired them at a discounted price:  MP54s 2 years after they came out.  818H2 in late 2019.  Wedgeworks SM7 during the covid lockdown.  A barely-used TS4 that I found at a Play-It-Again-Sports around the corner, half off its original price (final cost $100 after trading in some wedges and a 913 driver).  Every time I crush that TS4, I relive that rush when I remember how little it cost me.  LOL.

While every generation does come with at least some incremental advantages, its rare that this year's model really does have a game-changing technological leap.  Assuming that you are fit well to your sticks, I imagine most golfers would do just fine with last years model or one from several generations ago.

But if we are just talking about pricing levels, that is just a question of supply and demand.  If no one buys any new drivers, all the brands will have to lower their prices.  But we all know that's not going to happen, and Ping/TM/Callaway/Titleist aren't going to voluntarily cut their profits....

Edited by hagimihale

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

4 hours ago, Robert L. said:

A couple of months ago I got back into playing golf after a 15 year hiatus. I still have my old Golfsmith Tour Model 4 irons, and they still hit the ball decent, so since I lost some distance due to being 66 years old I got rid of my hard to hit 3,4,5,and 6 irons and replaced them with 3,4,and 5 Adams Golf hybrids from the early to mid-2000s. Got them on eBay for less than $30 each. Also picked up a Cleveland Launcher 3W for $25 which I use as my driver, and a couple of weeks back I got a great putter - an Otey Crisman blade putter with a hickory shaft for $16! I also have a set of 3 Dynacraft wedges which I built back in the early 2000s. I also have an old Ginty trouble wood which has never let me down in the rough. My set is now complete. 3W, 5W (I built myself back in the day), Ginty, 3H, 4H, 5H, 7,8,9,PW, 52, 56, 60 wedges, Otey Crisman putter.

You can find some great deals on eBay for older clubs which still play great! I'm retired and on SS so for me it's inexpensive older clubs.

I will say you are one smart cookie--- You know what equipment will work for your game and you adapted stuff to fit your game now. I have had to revamp my equipment and game too as I aged. And you are also smart enough to know it does not have to be the latest greatest whiz bang thing to enjoy the game

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

70% of shooting low scores is swing technique/ball striking.

29% of shooting low scores is mental game including routine, choosing lines of play,  and club selection

1% of shooting low scores is equipment.

I think any player who has equipment produced during the last 20 years is fine.

Shoot some of us play and score just fine with equipment older than 20 years

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Golf64 said:

Now that the new Titleist drivers are out, can't believe the price?! With taxes, $850 here in Canada! No thanks!

How did you come up with that number?  I'm from Vancouver and even at my most conservative calculations it shouldn't cost more than $700 ($600 Driver + 12% in GST and PST (for BC) = $672))

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

13 hours ago, leekgolf said:

How would you do this if you wanted to get properly fit?

Like I said above, if you want the latest and greatest and want to be fit, then yes there's a cost... usually. Or one could pay for a fitting then find a used set that matches specs, or pay to have loft & lie bent to work for them.

There's always a way to do something within one's budget. If someone has $3k and wants to spend that, then that's fine. But for far many more of us, there are plenty of economical ways to get things done, and properly at that.

Edited to add: I presume that if someone is getting fit, they're going to use those clubs for quite some time since they're being fit to them as closely as possible. So there's plenty of value in holding onto those clubs for years, which could end up costing just the same as constantly buying & selling at depreciated value. If you're someone who has the need to get fit every year or two, complaining about costs isn't going to engender much sympathy since you're purely doing it out of personal choice.

Edited by xkilgorextroutx
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Funny but true bet there ain't 5 people on here that knows what Mexican Brown is

I do. But I was a LEO for 30 years in SoCal. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

16 hours ago, pinhigh27 said:

Nothing renders the SIM obsolete and your sentiment that you can't play a sim for multiple years is laughable 

He's acting like the driver won't work if you use it when a new one comes out. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

17 hours ago, forrester_fire said:

In 1990 the median price of a new car was around $15k.  Today it's $37k.  Prices on everything have gone up over the years; it's called "inflation".

Right and by that same comparison...Golf has gone up waaaaaaay less than that

You could make the argument that factoring in inflation golf clubs are cheaper now

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I am on a budget with three daughters and generally only buy component clubs from Hireko or Monark. My driver is a Macgregor 15 years old that I hit plenty fine, I just changed out the shaft for a $15 one on sale. My iron heads were $15 and are a soft cast blade that feels very soft at impact but with a little click. I honestly think it feels better than many blades I've played. I have Apollo $5 shaft in my irons and they feel like my old X100's but they are much lighter and kick more as I've tipped them to SX. All in all my current setup of my clubs have set me back around $275. I have spent maybe an additional $200 because I am trying different things to see what I like by buying partial sets and heads to try them out. Whatever I don't use I have just give away to the local caddies at my home course or to my golfing buddy who has just started playing golf. 

Edited by chipa
  • Like 3

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

double post

Edited by chipa
double post

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.